Poll

Pick Two

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Steven Wilson

Author Topic: Neal Morse VS. Roine Stolt VS. Steven Wilson - Which two do YOU like?  (Read 7434 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Neal Morse VS. Roine Stolt VS. Steven Wilson - Which two do YOU like?
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2020, 01:03:15 AM »
To the Bone wasn't inspired by the 80s in terms of sound, but more in terms of the idea of these "pop" albums (Talk Talk, Tears for Fears, Kate Bush etc.) having real depth, real ambition to them, something largely lost in a lot of today's pop music. He wanted to make an album like that, and he succeeded.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2020, 01:17:57 AM »
Neal Morse. I base that on Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, some of his solo stuff, and mainly TNMB which is my favourite of his projects. Don't care for Flying Colors though or his worship stuff.

I've barely listened to The Flower Kings, but there are some great songs spread out over the few albums I've heard. Can't really comment more on Roine. He's a fellow Swede though :P

I listened quite a bit to Porcupine Tree a few years back, but I wouldn't call myself a real fan. His music is more dark and depressing (?) than my tastes. To me his strength lies in his various surround remix projects (XTC, Yes, King Crimson etc.).

Oh crap, I forgot to choose TWO. Ah well.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2020, 12:14:44 PM »
At this point I'd like to formally request an 'All of the Above' option.  :)

Pun intended.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2020, 07:10:22 PM »

Pun intended.

I can get on board with this option.  :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:26 PM »

Pun intended.

I can get on board with this option.  :tup :tup

:lol

Well, I wouldn't disagree, but the point of the thread was to see what folks would pick if they could only choose two of the three they liked more (or conversely, which of the three is their least favorite). If it was just a choose-who-you-like, then yeah, I'd definitely pick all three myself!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2020, 05:24:38 AM »
100% Neal Morse and Steven Wilson. Roine is a great composer but imo not as great as Neal and Steven, and also he is (don't kill me) a very mediocre guitarist (okay, so is SW, but he doesn't present himself as a lead guitarist.)

I think, the secret to SW is to check out his stuff beyond Porcupine Tree and his solo work. I am currently listening to a LOT of ambient and man his Bass Communion stuff is just utterly beautiful. I know the first two albums only, and they are gorgeous. Also, Storm Corrosion and no-man are amazing. no-man's Together We're Stranger is one of my favourite outputs of Steven's (and it's opening builds on a Bass Communion song, and it's beautiful as to be expected).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2020, 07:09:29 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised that I voted Roine over Steven back in the day. Don't get me wrong, Roine is great, but I think Steven is on another level.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2020, 07:10:58 AM »
100% Neal Morse and Steven Wilson. Roine is a great composer but imo not as great as Neal and Steven, and also he is (don't kill me) a very mediocre guitarist (okay, so is SW, but he doesn't present himself as a lead guitarist.)

I think, the secret to SW is to check out his stuff beyond Porcupine Tree and his solo work. I am currently listening to a LOT of ambient and man his Bass Communion stuff is just utterly beautiful. I know the first two albums only, and they are gorgeous. Also, Storm Corrosion and no-man are amazing. no-man's Together We're Stranger is one of my favourite outputs of Steven's (and it's opening builds on a Bass Communion song, and it's beautiful as to be expected).

Ouch, that seems a bit harsh.

The guy has a good sound, comes up with great melodies, and plays tastefully upon the changes. He surely doesn't run up and down scales at the speed of light, but I'm not sure that equals being very mediocre  :D

Offline HOF

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2020, 07:38:17 AM »

The guy has a good sound, comes up with great melodies, and plays tastefully upon the changes. He surely doesn't run up and down scales at the speed of light, but I'm not sure that equals being very mediocre  :D

Yeah, I don’t know what angle Fritz is coming from there. He’s not a shredder, but’s it’s not as if he lacks technical ability. He also has his stylistic ruts for sure (as both a player and composer). But he’s written some really amazing melodic solos, and in general he’s a very expressive and creative guitarist. Maybe in recent years he’s lost some of his touch (I haven’t heard any TFK past Unfold the Future), but if you go all the way back to his original The Flower Kings album, he was really on fire.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:44:40 AM by HOF »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2020, 08:14:39 AM »

I thought I'd get criticism for this comment  ;)

I don't think you have to be fast to be a good/great guitarist. But in my opinion, Stolt doesn't do much of the things you've mentioned. I think his sound is whiny (I don't know how a better word in English) and his lines often don't relate much to the changes underneath. But my biggest problem with his playing is his timing, or the lack thereof. Also, I saw him a couple of times on stage with Transatlantic and he always came across quite sloppy to me (and he got a few warning looks by MP).
If I compare his playing to other guitarists who (how should I say this) focus on longer, singing lines, like Steve Rothery, Steve Hackett or David Gilmour, this becomes especially evident.

I'm not saying he is a "bad" guitarist. I still think he is a good rhythm player btw, as audible on A Man Can Feel (Transatlantic) for example. But I never get why his solos get praised so much. I just don't like them.

Offline HOF

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2020, 08:23:40 AM »
I can definitely see not liking his tone (I might call it shrill). I’ve also seen what you are saying about him live with TA. I’ve wondered if that was related to a lack of rehearsal time, but I don’t know. He may be a better studio musician than a live performer (haven’t seen him play with TFK or anyone else).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
Roine Stolt is a mediocre guitarist??

Hot takes!! Get your hot takes!!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2020, 08:25:00 AM »
Roine Stolt is a mediocre guitarist??

Hot takes!! Get your hot takes!!!!

Not quite sure what this means, but I'm still have that opinion ;)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »
Neal by a land slide.

Like Roine's work with Transatlantic and have about a half dozen of Flower Kings/solo projects.