Poll

Pick Two

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Steven Wilson

Author Topic: Neal Morse VS. Roine Stolt VS. Steven Wilson - Which two do YOU like?  (Read 7441 times)

Offline The Letter M

So I had this idea last night for this poll. These 3 gentlemen have been around since the mid-to-late 80's as working musicians in various stages of being known, but it wasn't until the early 90's that they gained more fame through their bands: Neal Morse with Spock's Beard, Roine Stolt with The Flower Kings, and Steven Wilson with Porcupine Tree. Not all three of them are the same type of musicians or person, but there are a lot of similarities between any two of them, but all three are 3 of my favorite musicians and people in progressive rock right now.

Currently, Steven Wilson is putting Porcupine Tree on hold, and has been since 2009, while working on side-projects and solo work, much in the same way Roine Stolt was when he put TFK on ice for about 5 years after releasing their 10th studio album. Like TFK, Steven Wilson had released PT's 10th studio album and has since decided to work on various other projects involving a ton of other people not quite related to Porcupine Tree. While Roine worked with Transatlantic, 3rd World Electric and Agents Of Mercy, Steven had No-Man, Bass Communion, Blackfield, Storm Corrosion and his solo work. Both artists are also the leading contributors for their main bands, as well as guitarists and vocalists.

Neal and Roine are quite well acquainted having been in Transatlantic together, and because of that, also recorded on each other's solo albums (Roine on Neal's ? and Neal on Roine's Wall Street Voodoo). Their music is uplifting and tinged with Christian values, offering lyrics that are positive and spiritual, sometimes deliberately blunt, other times being incredibly subtle. Both can play multiple instruments and sing while being the main contributors for their first main bands in the 90's. They both share many influences, such as classic 70's prog bands Yes and Genesis, while Steven Wilson seems to prefer the other side of the 70's Prog Coin with King Crimson and Pink Floyd (band's with colored names, rather than single word names? lol).

And while it remains to be seen whether or not Steven will return to Porcupine Tree, if he does not, he and Neal will have left their band's in order to pursue a solo career with musicians not from their former bands. Like Neal, Steven has recorded with many guest musicians, but has also put together a large touring ensemble that allows him to work with a band that can perform the music he writes (in Neal's case, he had string and wind players on stage, along with extra guitar and key players; for Steven, just about the same, minus the string players). Both have taken a solo career that is tangent to their work in their bands, while still sounding a bit similar, has become something quite different. Both are in-touch with their fans, as Neal has the Inner Circle Fanclub and Racket Records, while Steven has ties with KScope and Burning Shed and other labels/record companies/stores that allow him to release his own special/limited editions. They both know what their fans want and often give it to them, albeit at a price.

TL:DR?
All three are very prolific writers and amazing musicians, but I want to know, which TWO out of these THREE do you like the most, or do you prefer? This includes their ENTIRE discographies, with their main bands, their solo output, and their side-projects, but only things they have written and/or recorded on as a major member of the recording (so minor guest spots won't count).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Neal Morse VS. Roine Stolt VS. Steven Wilson - Which two do YOU like?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
Roine and Neal. I'd much rather listen to Transatlantic, SB, The flower Kings or any other thing these guys have done than listening to PT. I still like PT a lot, just not as much
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
Wow, this is almost impossible to leave one out, seeing how these are three of my four favorite individual songwriters of the last 20 years (Devin Townsend being the other). 

Of the three, Wilson is probably 1 for me, but Morse and Stolt are a close 2a and 2b.  I'll have to mull this...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »
Wow, this is almost impossible to leave one out, seeing how these are three of my four favorite individual songwriters of the last 20 years (Devin Townsend being the other). 

Of the three, Wilson is probably 1 for me, but Morse and Stolt are a close 2a and 2b.  I'll have to mull this...

Glad I can make things difficult! :lol

Really, though, this was the point - I wanted to see how fans on here would react to this question, especially since they are three of the most well-known and well-loved individual musicians/songwriters of the last 20 years of prog music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »
Steven Wilson for sure, then it's a toss-up.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
Morse is easily my favorite.  I don't dislike Stolt, but never heard much outside of Transatlantic that really grabbed me.  That said, his contributions in Transatlantic are some of my favorite musical things ever.  So...maybe I really should check out some of his work.  :)

Wilson, on the other hand...I have heard a sum total of zero pieces of music from him that I actually like. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
Neal and Roine was as easy as a decision as I'll make all week.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »
Wilson and Morse

Flower Kings never did anything for me (transatlantic either) whereas with Wilson and Morse I could listen too with no problem
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »

Yeah, well this, but with Steven instead of Roine. And that it wasn't that easy.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »
Wilson, on the other hand...I have heard a sum total of zero pieces of music from him that I actually like. 
That is so weird. Everyone loves his stuff.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »
I don't.

But it's hard for me, 'cause I'm not really crazy about the other guys either.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
It would be interesting to throw Townsend and Gildenlow up there, too. All alpha types.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 12:20:22 PM »
I'm not into Porcupine Tree at all.  Neal and Roine for me

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

No, they really don't.  I would definitely rank him as the number one most overrated musician on this forum.  Yes, he's talented.  But he has yet to write a single good piece of music, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
SW is one of those guys that people either love or think is totally overrated. If I'm not mistaken he had the most votes in the most overrated bands thread.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Neal and Steven. They are both genius. I didn't listen to a lot of The Flower kings, but I seriously doubt Ronie will impress me as much as the other two guys.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »
All three are cool, but I went with Stolt & Wilson.  Morse is great too, he has his style and he sticks with it but his music doesn't have as much variety as the other two imo.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »

No, they really don't.  I would definitely rank him as the number one most overrated musician on this forum.  Yes, he's talented.  But he has yet to write a single good piece of music, IMO.
Like, if you were to listen to Blackest Eyes right now for example, one of their more palatable songs, you would think it's bad music? That's crazy!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
I like all three but Steven is the only one that I actually love so I only voted for him.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »

Like, if you were to listen to Blackest Eyes right now for example, one of their more palatable songs, you would think it's bad music? That's crazy!

There is no accounting for musical taste, of lack thereof. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
Wilson by a nose hair.  I love all three though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:01:16 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline adace

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
SW by far.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »
Roine and Neal. I'm more into uplifting stuff and they both do it well. I do enjoy SW and his music, just not as much as these two.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
Hmmmm... 7 out of 25 people only voted for one. Was it because you just didn't want to vote for more than one, or that you just don't like more than one of these 3 listed? Or did you just simply not read the post/rules?  :lol

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
Neal Morse and Steven Wilson, but Neal Morse is my favorite by far.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »
Hmmmm... 7 out of 25 people only voted for one. Was it because you just didn't want to vote for more than one, or that you just don't like more than one of these 3 listed? Or did you just simply not read the post/rules?  :lol

-Marc.

I voted for 2, but I will say the initial post was incredibly vague as to what you were looking for.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »

-Marc.

I voted for 2, but I will say the initial post was incredibly vague as to what you were looking for.

Fair enough, but in the subject title, I did include "Which two do YOU like", hopefully implying that you (the reader of the post) would vote for two of the three options.

-Marc.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
I love all 3 but Wilson is easily my favorite. He's one of my favorite musicians/songwriters of all time and I love almost all of his work. Second place is incredibly tough but I'm going with Morse just on the strength of his work with SB even though Stolt is a more diverse musician.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
Wilson and Morse. Stolt is cool and all, but most of his music doesn't really grab me.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
This
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »
1. Neal
2. Roine

3. Steven
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 12:24:58 AM »
Wow, I thought this would be a landslide for Steven Wilson. Man, was I proved wrong.  :lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:43 AM »
It would be interesting to throw Townsend and Gildenlow up there, too. All alpha types.
Even with those five options, there still wouldn't be a musician I actually liked.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:15 AM »
Wilson and Morse. Stolt is cool and all, but most of his music doesn't really grab me.
This
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 04:29:35 AM »
Wilson, I really don't care for the others.