Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 3  (Read 59854 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 3
« Reply #840 on: April 22, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Ah, awesome! How coincidental. I saw that a while ago and just recently thought of it but couldn't find it. Nice. Great banner.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: April 22, 2013, 11:26:19 PM »
I love it, it's from the first season BluRay set.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #842 on: July 13, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
Was thinking about the 'zombies' in the show. Now, I know this is a show and that there is no real 'science' or explanation to why 'zombies' are walking around and eating people....that aside I had two questions.
 1.) How are those zombies making any type of noise other than the noise made from walking or dragging limbs. They can't/aren't breathing so there should be no air in their lungs which is what passes over/through our voice box/mouth/tongue to make the hissing/gristle noise they traditionally make. There should be no noise coming from them.
2.) Related: How are they smelling or sensing 'living' people. The gang has camouflaged themselves before with blood or walkers themselves to throw their scent off. It shouldn't matter.
 Now that it think about it there are some real issues with they eye tissue, sight and processing that info in a dead brain also.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #843 on: July 13, 2013, 11:09:55 PM »
Was thinking about the 'zombies' in the show. Now, I know this is a show and that there is no real 'science' or explanation to why 'zombies' are walking around and eating people....that aside I had two questions.
 1.) How are those zombies making any type of noise other than the noise made from walking or dragging limbs. They can't/aren't breathing so there should be no air in their lungs which is what passes over/through our voice box/mouth/tongue to make the hissing/gristle noise they traditionally make. There should be no noise coming from them.
2.) Related: How are they smelling or sensing 'living' people. The gang has camouflaged themselves before with blood or walkers themselves to throw their scent off. It shouldn't matter.
 Now that it think about it there are some real issues with they eye tissue, sight and processing that info in a dead brain also.

In the CDC episode of season 1 (basically the only episode in the series with any science-talk) Jenner explains that the virus reactivates the brainstem, which controls the central nervous system and most basic instinctual functions (i.e, eating and breathing), which covers how people come back without any memories or sense of their former selves, but still able to breathe and feel hunger despite requiring neither.

All this being said, the show conveniently left out the fact that sight, smell, and all the other senses are governed by the cerebral cortex. . .

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #844 on: July 14, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »

In the CDC episode of season 1 (basically the only episode in the series with any science-talk) Jenner explains that the virus reactivates the brainstem, which controls the central nervous system and most basic instinctual functions (i.e, eating and breathing), which covers how people come back without any memories or sense of their former selves, but still able to breathe and feel hunger despite requiring neither.

All this being said, the show conveniently left out the fact that sight, smell, and all the other senses are governed by the cerebral cortex. . .

I'm almost positive that the brainstem is responsible for all those other senses. It's the oldest and simplest part of our brains. I believe it's often referred to as the reptilian portion of brain because it was the first part of the brain to actually evolve and has been around since the time the dinosaurs arose. All those senses are hard wired into that, and that's why every animal has them. Isn't the cerebral cortex the outer most wrinkly looking stuff on our brains? I thought that was for the majority of the brain processing required to give humans things like speech, cognitive thought, and incredible memory? A lot of lower species lack that entirely and still have the five main senses which are arguably stronger and more effective in them than they are in humans.

I could be completely wrong, but a few years ago I became really interested in the brain and read a lot about it. Maybe my memory just sucks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:35:14 AM by Chino »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #845 on: July 14, 2013, 04:33:18 AM »

I mean honestly, if not for the lack of science there wouldn't be a show; the decaying flesh under just one day of sun would rot to pieces.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #846 on: July 14, 2013, 04:36:18 AM »

I mean honestly, if not for the lack of science there wouldn't be a show; the decaying flesh under just one day of sun would rot to pieces.

I agree with this. If the show was being scientifically accurate, natural selection would have taken care of Carl about a dozen times by now.

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #847 on: July 14, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »
I'm almost positive that the brainstem is responsible for all those other senses. It's the oldest and simplest part of our brains. I believe it's often referred to as the reptilian portion of brain because it was the first part of the brain to actually evolve and has been around since the time the dinosaurs arose. All those senses are hard wired into that, and that's why every animal has them. Isn't the cerebral cortex the outer most wrinkly looking stuff on our brains? I thought that was for the majority of the brain processing required to give humans things like speech, cognitive thought, and incredible memory? A lot of lower species lack that entirely and still have the five main senses which are arguably stronger and more effective in them than they are in humans.

I could be completely wrong, but a few years ago I became really interested in the brain and read a lot about it. Maybe my memory just sucks.

The mesencephalon (upper part of the brain stem) is associated with hearing and vision, but every sense still has its own sub-cortex. However, given that the brain stem primarily deals with the nervous system, it's possible that the senses would still register, but without a cortex to process it, there would no recognition of that sensation or ability to assign cognitive thought to it. Combined with the instinctual urges governed by the brain stem, a zombie would simply regard any smell, sight, etc. as food (or not food.)

Of course, the zombies should also have a heartbeat, the ability to feel pain, and a regular sleep cycle, since the brain stem controls all of that stuff as well. I suppose the best explanation for this is the very fact that we've been conveniently overlooking the entire time - the brain stem is processing nerve signals from necrotic tissue, so the virus would need to reactivate the entire central nervous system for any of this to fly, and since dead tissue has no need for nutrients, sleep, and is unaffected by pain, those aspects of the CNS simply atrophy along with the flesh.

As for the evolutionary stuff, I would argue that the brain stem's functions are even more elementary than the senses. Before the dinosaurs there were bacteria, and all life has instinctual urges; organisms evolved senses as a way to better meet those instinctual needs for survival, so I would say that the order of sophistication in brain function (and consequently, size of the cerebral cortex)  goes in the following order: Instincts --> Sensory Perception --> Cognitive Reasoning

Note: I only have a very basic knowledge of cerebral anatomy and have just been speculating this entire time.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #848 on: July 14, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
DTF nerd level: expert

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #849 on: July 20, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
The trailer for season four has been released.... not sure if I want to watch it. I didn't watch the trailer for season three until after the season ended. I was kind of glad I didn't. But I really want to watch this... ahhhhh!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #850 on: July 20, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
The trailer for season four has been released.... not sure if I want to watch it.

They give away so much in that trailer, its not even like a little sneak peak. Its like a complete overview.

Despite all that it was pretty sweet though.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #851 on: July 20, 2013, 07:47:05 AM »
The trailer for season four has been released.... not sure if I want to watch it.

They give away so much in that trailer, its not even like a little sneak peak. Its like a complete overview.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to hold off in that case.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: July 20, 2013, 08:34:46 AM »

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to hold off in that case.
I suck at holding out and gave in. There was a lot in that clip. Looks like they are incorporating a lot of the comic book Prison sequence to me. I doubt they pulled a rookie Movie trailer mistake and gave too much away though. I just think that With Gimple running the show now we may be in for a great, exciting treat next season....meaning more than 5 good episodes.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #853 on: July 20, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
The Governor was conspicuously absent from that trailer

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #854 on: July 20, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
The s4-clip was pretty cool. The problem with this show though, is that you can make a 4 minute clip out of a whole season, and make it good. I'm kinda starting to loose interest in it a bit, and I fear that S4 will basically be similar to S3 in how the main group is at the prison, and then the governor starts getting his revenge and so on. I really hope I'm wrong, but S2 and S3 were both a bit too straightforward imo. I would love some more variety, maybe it will come in s4, who knows.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #855 on: July 20, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
You never know, everyone thought they gave away too much in the season 3 trailer, but it was only footage from the first 4 episodes, so they actually didn't give away anything!

That being said, the season 4 trailer is badass!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: July 20, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
You never know, everyone thought they gave away too much in the season 3 trailer, but it was only footage from the first 4 episodes, so they actually didn't give away anything!

That being said, the season 4 trailer is badass!
Just re-watched the trailer. I think it could have been footage from one or two episodes, especially the first couple minutes. Anyway, it looks pretty killer!