Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 3  (Read 59859 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 3
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2012, 03:30:49 AM »
That's right if I recall correctly, both in the comics and the show; it's as if once a person is bitten by someone infected, being that one is already infected, it facilitates the conditions for the virus to kick into overdrive and cause death, which is needed for the virus to take over, thereby restarting part of the brain stem and completing the virus' life-cycle. As Jenner described it..if it even is a virus, that all could be wrong, but story-wise it's all we know (a 'normal death', unless decapitation, also results in reanimation; but the bite is what puts it into overdrive; having the body reanimate in as little as 2 minutes).

I always thought of it like the flu, which is why Morgan, the black guy in the beginning, thought his wife was just severely ill instead of dying from infection; except it has the exact opposite purpose, in which the body usually raises its temperature to kill any invading virus, in this case it causes a swift death so that the virus can, for lack of a better word, 'activate' and reanimate the brain stem.

Sadly, Kirkman has said that he doesn't plan to ever reveal the true cause of whatever this is, and we may never even know what it actually is at all. His reasoning (if I'm remembering the interview correctly) is that any reason for the infection/virus would diminish the mystery and ultimately the fear behind the walkers and much of the feel to the series would be lost. I tend to agree, but I'm also kind of bummed if he actually sticks to that statement, even for the TV series. I can see that happening in the comics, that fits the completely hopeless and macabre tone; but the TV series isn't at that point yet and I'm not sure if it will get there, so a bit of hope and explanation in that area might be cool, and would also help to end the series' inevitable end in a more...well, TV-ish way. A kind of nice little bow on the wrapping, tying up everything.

But hopefully that isn't too far off. I actually just read a poll yesterday asking viewers if they'd like to see 7 seasons of TWD. I voted 'hell yes!'. In fact if they are to even remotely follow the comics story and include many of the story arcs and pivotal story moments, I can see it going for much longer than that even by the time the comic series ends (I'm thinking 10-12, but that'd be so awesomely nuts that I won't even hope for that).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »
Zombie bites have had the same effect in every zombie mythos/movie. Once you're bit, you fever up quickly and die. Everyone is "infected", but as long as you aren't bit, or get zombie blood or saliva in your blood stream, you'll be fine.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »
I think it's more like you'll be fine as long as you don't die. Once your dead, doesn't matter how (as long is not brain trauma), it's zombie time for you.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
Yes, Dimitri, that's correct. Zook, it's not the same as every zombie story. Doing as you said won't guarantee anything but reanimation once you die. Bites result in immediate death and immediate reanimation, although the virus has been known to have longer incubation periods between hosts.

RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
I think the characters are more worried about just staying alive. Dying sucks, and becoming a zombie is pretty shitty too, so the important thing is to prevent either of those things from happening.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »
 :lol Er...yes, that would be nice. But what you just said is the entire problem. 'Staying alive' is no longer a solution; so no, they're not more worried about staying alive, because it doesn't matter if they survive this entire apocalypse and keep every single person alive and find them a permanent safe haven...that haven will become a prison of death the moment they die of old age, peacefully in their sleep; no sooner than they died will they reawaken with an unquenchable hunger. It's a Catch 22; barring that a cure is found, it doesn't matter how much they struggle through or how many zombies they kill or how many people they 'save', because once the last person on Earth is standing, unless he/she has the balls to do what is necessary, which is blowing their own head off, they will come back to start the cycle anew.

You cannot prevent both of those things from happening, that's the core issue of this entire apocalypse and why it's so different from any other zombie story told. They're all fucked. Hell, even if a 'cure' is found, it may be futile even still because we don't know that one can be 'cured'; the 'cure' may be a prevention of infection, not a complete reversal of the virus, which is even more likely. The only sure way to end the infection process is to have a man of Rick's resolute nature to be the last man alive on Earth and if a cure has not been found by the time he is nearing death, then he must end his life by putting a bullet through his cranium. Thus ending the human race, but also ending the spread of infection.

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
I don't get why you say the last surviving human would have to kill themself  :huh:

Is there a reason why this hasn't affected any animals?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
What is there to be confused about? The goal in TWD universe, one can assume, is to have no more zombies on Earth while still having the human race survive. That option is absolutely impossible unless an extraordinary cure is found that both prevents infection and reverses the virus (this is to assume that the story does not present some massive ass-pull of a dues-ex-machina and unveils a lone survivor who is not yet infected). This option is almost certain to be impossible on account of the regression of technology worldwide and the human race itself, so scientific breakthroughs are neigh impossible. Thus, the next best option is to have no more zombies on Earth. That cannot happen without the extinction of the human race (by death of a destroyed brain stem and only that) since everyone is infected and the infection takes over the moment the brain 'dies' (though still intact), which is then able to restart...no matter what. So, for a happy ending to happen, the last man standing on Earth, who is no doubt carrying the infection, must either find a cure to completely reverse the virus and destroy the infection laying dormant in his brain, and if that cannot happen, he must shoot himself in the head. Otherwise, even though there are no more zombies because this lone man killed them all, there is no one else to destroy his brain stem once he comes back; so he must do it before he dies, while he still has control over his actions. (Although it would be so fucking awesome to see the will of a human take over the infection after death and to see a zombie just kinda standing there and then it snaps its own neck...bwahaha)

I'm curious about that second question myself. It hasn't been touched upon in the comics either. Thus far all we know is that it is simply contained to humans and attacks only humans. Which may beg the question of: "Was this manufactured by humans, for humans?" considering that an infection this resilient seems to be based upon the premise that we as humans are more advanced than any other animal on Earth, and that reason is our brain, which coincidentally is the one thing this virus needs to thrive and exist. It may be that once an animal dies, so to does every part of the brain, not being able to restart. As Jenner said, and this is a part of the show that I liked so very much because the comics didn't touch upon this, once a human dies, there is a flicker of 'life' left; there are still neurons that fire ever so slightly, and cells that still survive on their own and that is what allows the virus to take hold. If that didn't happen, we wouldn't come back. Since we do, destruction of our entire brain is the only 'cure' so far.

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »
But I have an issue with your explanation. Do we know if a zombie will eventually die without being killed? I am assuming they must. So if there is one surving human left on the planet, and he shoots himself in the head, there are still zombies left even though he doesn't turn. If he doesn't shoot himself in the head, he will become a zombie, just like all the others that remain. They would eventually all die, including the guy who did not shoot himself. If he did manage to kill every zombie on the planet, and didn't shoot himself, he'd just be a lone zombie with nothing to spread the virus to. He's not going to procreate and lead to another being that could accept and carry the virus. Instead of killing himself, he should just go ape shit on everything he touches... or just chill in nature until he finally dies.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
That's a pretty long leap of assumption, but okay...he can do whatever he wants with whatever conditions in place for any zombies remaining. My main point remains: We lose. I'm assuming life will eventually return to the planet. Of course this entire line of thought and discussion we're having could be even more irrelevant because 'it' could be environmental for all we know and the Earth itself is poisoned and any other life that just so happens to be infected by it are fucked for all eternity and until the day the Earth is obliterated.

And even then...we cannot rule out zombie aliens. They could be more related to our DNA and thus be prone to it. BAM! We did it Chino: Kirkman is going to do zombies in space after this. KgoodtalkI'mout.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:44:57 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
Trying not to read the thread to avoid spoilers.

Just started watching this show and am already about half way through the 2nd season.

It's quite good. Nothing brilliant, but good nonetheless.

But god damn why can't Shane die already? And if he does, don't tell me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »

Just started watching this show and am already about half way through the 2nd season.

Shane gets eaten by a T-rex that traveled through time because of aliens that arrived on Earth 80 million years ago. The zombies aren't actually humans at all. They are aliens who have also come through the time portal. They just happen to resemble humans. I hope I didn't spoil it for you.

Offline Adami

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »

Shane gets eaten by a T-rex that traveled through time because of aliens that arrived on Earth 80 million years ago. The zombies aren't actually humans at all. They are aliens who have also come through the time portal. They just happen to resemble humans. I hope I didn't spoil it for you.

Hah! You thought you were spoiling all of that for me, but I just got to that episode before you wrote it.

JOKES ON YOU CHINO!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »
Actually, the zombies appeared after a military base opened a window to another dimension, and let them out. A strange mist came out of the window also, but Carl sucked it all up which explains his retardation.

Offline Adami

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »
So I have a problem with the premise here...........lots of these people have not only shot zombies (walkers, whatever) at close range, or bashed their heads in, or stabbed their heads or something and they usually have their mouths open cause they're doing their warrior cry while doing it....................that whole time, not a single drop of zombie blood entered their mouths or one of the non-bite related open wounds they tend to also have?

Not sure I can buy that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43:25 AM »
I think there is an explanation for that. But not sure ... I dont want to ruin anything

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »
I thought about that too, but I can look passed it because so much awesome is happening.

It's like a New York cop taking out a bunch of terrorists all by himself and only getting glass in his feet. Sometimes you have to suspend belief, and really, this show is about zombies, and is based on a comic book. Why do people care so much about the characters having amazing accuracy? Would it really be more exciting if we saw them constantly miss? Would it add that much more suspense? Maybe the creators have thought of this already, but can't afford or it takes to much time to add the extra blood packets and shit for the characters to miss the head shot.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »
I thought about that too, but I can look passed it because so much awesome is happening.

Adami.... Do not read the following!

Since the virus is airborne, is it possible that just getting a little blood or saliva in your system has no affect? It's just a small dose of the virus, which all the living currently have anyway. Maybe the living have a small degree of immunity to it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »

Since the virus is airborne, is it possible that just getting a little blood or saliva in your system has no affect? It's just a small dose of the virus, which all the living currently have anyway. Maybe the living have a small degree of immunity to it.

I don't think the virus works like that. I think being infected simply means they can all become zombified after death, and bites and infected blood in their system just give them fever until they die. Although the show hasn't touched upon the blood in the eyes, mouth cuts thing yet. They already could have done that when Shane wiped his cut on the bus that the zombies already licked.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »

I don't think the virus works like that. I think being infected simply means they can all become zombified after death, and bites and infected blood in their system just give them fever until they die. Although the show hasn't touched upon the blood in the eyes, mouth cuts thing yet. They already could have done that when Shane wiped his cut on the bus that the zombies already licked.

I think we will see that next episode actually. Rick cut his hand when chopping off Hershel's leg. He looked at it in what appeared to be fright. Maybe this is how he loses his hand (if he does).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »

I think we will see that next episode actually. Rick cut his hand when chopping off Hershel's leg. He looked at it in what appeared to be fright. Maybe this is how he loses his hand (if he does).

I saw that as him reacting in fright to cutting off the leg. I'd have to watch the episode again, but it looked like he didn't like the fact that Hershel's blood was on his hands.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:47:09 PM by Zook »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »

I saw that as him reacting in fright to cutting off the leg. I'd have to watch the episode again, but it looked like he didn't like the fact that Hershel's blood was on him hands.

Oh, that could be. I may have viewed it wrong. I just thought he cut it and was concerned about the freshly infected leg blood of Hershel going into the freshly opened would. We'll find out soon enough!!!

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
Sometimes you have to suspend belief, and really, this show is about zombies, and is based on a comic book. Why do people care so much about the characters having amazing accuracy?

Mostly because the show otherwise tries to take itself very seriously.  They were clearly trying to make an acclaimed character drama (like AMC's other shows) with a relatively realistic take on a zombie apocalypse, rather than a campy zombie show.

Would it really be more exciting if we saw them constantly miss? Would it add that much more suspense? Maybe the creators have thought of this already, but can't afford or it takes to much time to add the extra blood packets and shit for the characters to miss the head shot.

Yes, it would be more exciting because we wouldn't be constantly reminded that it is a TV show.  But yeah, I'm generally able to suspend my disbelief, but it's little things like that which can keep a good show from being great.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:59:02 PM by HarlequinForest »

Offline Adami

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »
See, I think Shaun of the Dead took care of the realistic stuff.

They always miss, can't figure out what to do half the time and Shaun has to kill his mum, which so far as just as big (if not bigger) emotional moment than anything on TWD.

Okay, so I just finished the 2nd season...........glad to see what happened to Shane. But why did Rick randomly become a total douche? They get rid of one douche and have to immediately replace him with another?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
I'd be a douche too if everyone hated me for doing the right thing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
I'd be a douche too if everyone hated me for doing the right thing.

Douche.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
I love you too.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

They always miss, can't figure out what to do half the time and Shaun has to kill his mum, which so far as just as big (if not bigger) emotional moment than anything on TWD.

That was devistating   :'(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
Okay, so I just finished the 2nd season...........glad to see what happened to Shane. But why did Rick randomly become a total douche? They get rid of one douche and have to immediately replace him with another?
The only thing he's been trying to do since waking up and reuniting is keeping everyone alive, everyone is always dogging and second guessing him for it and then his own wife plants seeds on his mind to kill Shane and it's repulsed when he does so?! I'd be a fuckin' douche too!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Adami

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
The only thing he's been trying to do since waking up and reuniting is keeping everyone alive, everyone is always dogging and second guessing him for it and then his own wife plants seeds on his mind to kill Shane and it's repulsed when he does so?! I'd be a fuckin' douche too!

Hey, I still like the guy. It just seemed like a pretty quick change from "We're all in this together" to "GOD DAMNIT I AM KING OF ZOMBIELAND ALL OF YOU SHALL DO MY BIDDING!"

Haven't seen any of season 3 yet (will soon), curious to see where they take the pregnancy thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2012, 07:03:14 AM »

Hey, I still like the guy. It just seemed like a pretty quick change from "We're all in this together" to "GOD DAMNIT I AM KING OF ZOMBIELAND ALL OF YOU SHALL DO MY BIDDING!"

Haven't seen any of season 3 yet (will soon), curious to see where they take the pregnancy thing.

Remember the Dawn Of The Dead remake?

:neverusethis:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
Holy shit, Rick.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
I love the new Rick.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
That episode was off the hook. I was screaming at Lori when she was giving Hershel mouth to mouth. It looks like we are getting a good split from the comic route.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies