Author Topic: Big Bang Theory - Season 6  (Read 10691 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: Big Bang Theory - Season 6
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »
Ep. 6-06 ~ THE EXTRACT OBLITERATION

4/5

Raj and Howard doing accents was awesome.  Leonard and Sheldon with the chess clock was awesome.  Playing 'extract' instead of 'extract' was awesome.

However...

... I can't even think of any more messed up (read: stupid) love story in the history of comedy TV than Leonard and Penny, and definitely NOT in a good way such as Ross being a dumbass and always saying "we were on a break."

Here I am praising Leonard for being the good guy and succeeding on behalf of all us nerds out there, and then he goes and pulls that crap.  He's A NERD, an academic, honest, etc and he somehow thinks it's ok to do what he did?  Even if he didn't tell her he re-did it and she gets an 'A' on it then she thinks she's brilliant but the next 4 papers she gets a 'D' on and is thinking WTF?  She even SPECIFICALLY told him that this was HER thing and to leave it alone and why she was so afraid to even tell him.  She made this very clear, and passionately, to Leonard.  So what does he do?  At the very first opportunity he screws it all up.  She needed to pass or fail on her own and he did nothing to help her at all.

So then what does Penny do?  She bullies the girls into writing her paper for her, just like every other dumb blond cheerleader, and they DO IT!?  More brilliant academics destroying everything they stand for.  So now, if anything, Penny will graduate college with NO skills whatsoever other than what she's always had, which is how to be successful being a manipulative slut.

I can't even look at it as "it's just a comedy and I should get over it and enjoy it" at this point, it is, cuz 2/3 of the main characters are GARBAGE now... but mostly 1 main character, really.  Their "love story" just isn't even cute much less remotely believable.

Sheldon still rules.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING TO MY SHOW?!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
While I haven't watched Season 6 yet, I also feel like Penny has become more and more annoying with each season or so.
She didn't bother me in the first ~3 seasons, but ever since Amy and Bernadette joined, they've made it more clear that Penny is your typical blonde girl, the cliché we've seen in so many other shows over the years.

I feel like while her character has always been fairly shallow, at least she had some redeeming qualities early on. Like taking care of Sheldon when he was sick, just to name one example. But the longer the show has progressed I think she's shown less of that, and just being very high demand and shallow.
I think one of the keys in the Ross/Rachel-thing from Friends and why it worked was because they were both characters you liked, and while Rachel was also a bit shallow, she really developed over the show and had something you liked about her. With Leonard and Penny we have Leonard who we are supposed to relate to, but the way he acts in all of this mess is just causing us to loose trust in him, and Penny is mostly being a jerk, so why would we want these two characters to end up together again?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »
You know what *would* have been cute but keeping the same story idea for this episode?  If Penny broke out the "101 Totally Cool Science Experiments for Kids" or something and tried to do her own experiment.  Then Leonard could sneak around help her and in the grand scheme of things it all works out.  But to want to cheat for her and then for Penny to get the girls to cheat for her is inexcusable.

I'm honestly shocked that the American Centre for Downs Syndrome (or w/e it's called) hasn't made a huge stink about Penny's dumbass impersonation of Leonard at the end.  I guess Sheldon laughing hysterically saying it sounds just like him was good enough.  I normally don't care about being politically correct, I hate it actually, but even that made me cringe.

As it turns out, all it'll take is for either Leonard or Penny to do something that makes the audience go "awwwwwwww" and everyone will be like "greatest couple in TV history".

And, yeah, why *would* we want these two characters to end up together?  She'll just tell him what to do and think 24/7 and he'll do it.  Well, I guess that's a typical marriage at least.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »
I have no sympathy for Leonard and Penny is a whore who has probably been cheating on him since day one.

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 04:27:29 AM »
Ep. 6-06 ~ THE EXTRACT OBLITERATION

4/5

Raj and Howard doing accents was awesome.  Leonard and Sheldon with the chess clock was awesome.  Playing 'extract' instead of 'extract' was awesome.

However...

... I can't even think of any more messed up (read: stupid) love story in the history of comedy TV than Leonard and Penny, and definitely NOT in a good way such as Ross being a dumbass and always saying "we were on a break."

Here I am praising Leonard for being the good guy and succeeding on behalf of all us nerds out there, and then he goes and pulls that crap.  He's A NERD, an academic, honest, etc and he somehow thinks it's ok to do what he did?  Even if he didn't tell her he re-did it and she gets an 'A' on it then she thinks she's brilliant but the next 4 papers she gets a 'D' on and is thinking WTF?  She even SPECIFICALLY told him that this was HER thing and to leave it alone and why she was so afraid to even tell him.  She made this very clear, and passionately, to Leonard.  So what does he do?  At the very first opportunity he screws it all up.  She needed to pass or fail on her own and he did nothing to help her at all.

So then what does Penny do?  She bullies the girls into writing her paper for her, just like every other dumb blond cheerleader, and they DO IT!?  More brilliant academics destroying everything they stand for.  So now, if anything, Penny will graduate college with NO skills whatsoever other than what she's always had, which is how to be successful being a manipulative slut.

I can't even look at it as "it's just a comedy and I should get over it and enjoy it" at this point, it is, cuz 2/3 of the main characters are GARBAGE now... but mostly 1 main character, really.  Their "love story" just isn't even cute much less remotely believable.

Sheldon still rules.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING TO MY SHOW?!

He does, but he has been given much less space imo.
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »
Ep. 6-07 ~ THE HABITATION CONFIGURATION

4.5/5

Wil Wheaton:  "You know I'm doing this for free."
Amy Farrah Fowler:  "Yes, and so far we're still not getting our money's worth."

The look on Sheldon's face as he's caught in the middle is priceless.  What makes Sheldon's relationship problems work so well is cuz he's actually 100% clueless about women and human relationships.  He's falling into the trap and he has no idea why but evolution is clearly winning.  It reminds me of that South Park when Bebe gets boobs and all the boys start acting like primates around her and they don't know why.

It works for Sheldon and is exactly what's wrong with Leonard and Penny... they both know exactly what they're doing wrong yet they keep doing it and we don't care.

Howard smiling and going "yeah" when Raj thinks if the walls could talk they'd ask why does Howard touch himself so much is just so darn cute and that he actually *was* going to fondle himself while they wait in the U-haul just shows how well everyone know Howard.

Patrick Stewart should move in above Leonard and Sheldon and be the grumpy old man upstairs.

My season-ending prediction:   *SPOILER* Sheldon and Amy are in bed together like Penny *cough* slut *cough* and Raj were last season.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 02:52:40 AM »
The Big Bang Theory Flash mob!

In the background you can see that Johnny Galecki walks away and Jim Parsons just stands still!  :lol

Btw: Can Kaley be any hotter dancin....dammit!  :heart
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »
Yeah, that was really cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
That flash mob was sweet.

Side bar. Penny love Leonard. How cute. I hope he stomps on her heart.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
Ep. 6-08 ~ THE 43 PECULIARITY

4/5

I thought the awkward moment after she said it was written and played nicely.  I *do* hope Leonard stomps on her a little bit, makes her feel shitty for how she's treated him in the past and how lucky she's been, and then takes her back.  Leonard doesn't realize what a stud player he is.  Look at all the chicks he's big-banged and made out with over the years.  Now Alex is after him.

Sheldon is gold, as usual, especially when Leonard is spying and looking through the peephole and Sheldon is like "I didn't even know you were here."  Too bad Jim Parsons couldn't hacky-sack a few hits in a row live and they had to CGI it.  Lame.

Also, I don't find English accents sexy.  Maybe that Emily bitch from Friends ruined it for me but if it's an Indian chick talking I melt, like Priya, but I hated her.  I really like Australian accents, though.

Leonard's gang should have been called "The Hell's Scientists".

The flash mob was... meh.  Nothing new here.  Where did Galecki go?  All I saw was at the end he was coming back from somewhere.  But Penny dancing was sweet for sure, as was Bernie.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
I'm really surprised you didn't mention Penny dropping the l-bomb.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 03:04:18 AM »
It's in the first sentence of paragraph one, albeit a little vague.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
 :lol I'm not sure how I missed that

Offline PetFish

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »
Ep. 6-09 ~ THE PARKING SPOT ESCALATION

4.5/5

This is when comedies are at their prime for me, when there's lots of shenanigans, and quick back-and-forths.

Although Amy definitely crossed the line when she tried to hit Bernadette, their verbal jabs were the best.  But you don't take a swing at your friends when all you're doing is ripping on each other, it's just not cool.

The best one was when Amy said that when she and Sheldon have sex at least he won't be thinking of his mother... and Penny goes "dayum" cuz you know that was the ultimate burn.

Sheldon's reaction to Howard in his spot was great, his screams are the best.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »
The last episode had me cracking up  :lol Sheldon naked in Howard's new MINI was fucking hysterical.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Well this thread died. I'm applying the paddles.

Penny's reaction at the end of last week's episode was hysterical.  :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »
I likes Sheldon showing some emotion when he wanted to be hugged. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
I fucking hate Sheldon. In fact, I hate very single character except for Rajesh and maybe Howard and his mom.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
Mrs. Wolowitz is probably the best thing off the series.

I love TBBT, but there hasn't been one scene with Howard's mom where I don't crack up.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline PetFish

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »
I gave up on this thread cuz I was just talking to myself and I'm pissed off that I don't love it as much as I used to.

But last week's was the worst in the history of the show.  I fucking want to throw Penny out a window right now.  She has somehow managed to de-evolve which seemed impossible since she started out being a blonde country hick dumbass with nowhere to go but up, and she started to, but we now know she's nothing but a manipulative bully who still thinks and acts like she's in grade school.  Not only has she not grown at all now she's just loathsome.

I'm surprised Howard hasn't killed himself what with his Mom's nagging, his wife's making him feel like shit for not making as much as her, and his "friends" making him feel bad for not having a PhD.  It's not funny when they make fun of him and you can actually see it in his face that it hurts him.

Raj is just one metrosexual joke and double-entendre after another and it's getting really old really fast.

Leonard has shown he can get girls, hot smart girls, but for some reason he's still waiting for Penny.  I could see it if Penny were a sweetheart and things just weren't working out for her or them but she's just a bitch.

The ONLY characters growing are Sheldon and Amy.  I've said a million times how much I hate Amy but the last two seasons have turned me around.  I love seeing how Sheldon is succumbing to the Darwinian process of needing to procreate but he doesn't even realize it.

They made Stuart a regular... why?

Why the hell don't they bring back the really good characters like Leonard and Sheldon's moms?  They need to be in an episode together.

They DESTROYED the nemesis factor between Sheldon and Wil Wheaton.  The first two times he was in the show were gold, the third was the Indiana Jones movie which was "meh", and now they are BFF's.

I'm so conflicted right now.  I WANT to keep loving this show but it keeps kicking me in the bean bag.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
Mrs. Wolowitz is probably the best thing off the series.

I love TBBT, but there hasn't been one scene with Howard's mom where I don't crack up.
The scenes with here were terrible in space.  I thought they way overdid the uncomfortable factor with Howard in that arc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »

They made Stuart a regular... why?

They DESTROYED the nemesis factor between Sheldon and Wil Wheaton.  The first two times he was in the show were gold, the third was the Indiana Jones movie which was "meh", and now they are BFF's.

I agree with both of those things. Mainly Stuart. I really don't like that guy.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
Stuart is popular, though, so it does make sense.  I've seen a couple places wonder if he was getting a spin-off.

Wheaton I have no idea where they are going.  It thought it was fine if they were going to follow up with the Brent Spiner twist to go along with it.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
I like Stuart but there just isn't enough there for him to be a part of the regular cast.  He's a recurring gag-character and works extremely well in the comic book store but that's it.  I always looked forward to when they'd go there and visit and Stuart could have a few lines or whatever but now the magic is gone.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
PetFish, I enjoy reading your writeups, but I haven't commented that much because I haven't followed the latest season that well. I've seen a few episodes from it, the last one I saw was the one where Penny got the hipster-glasses at the end.

I feel like the show is almost standing still right now. Like you said, some characters are acting in a way that almost takes you out of it, like "why did he do that?" because it's stupid. I'm particularly frustrated when I see Howard who has both his mom and Bernadette who are being douches towards him, but he just takes it. I don't really like where Raj has been going either. Stuart is a regular now? I always enjoyed most of the episodes with him, but I find it hard to see how another "main"-character will lift the show.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
I don't think any character has devolved, I think they're just stagnant and it looks as if they're devolving in comparison to Sheldon and Amy. Also, I think the running gags against Howard are meant to be because he used to be insanely creepy. Some of the things said about his past make it seem like he was boarderline sex offender. I'm tired of Penny though, and would have loved to see Leanord dump her for Sheldon's assistant.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
Thanks, Zan, but without any discussion I can only talk to myself for so long.

Take last night when Leonard just assumes he could move in with Penny, which was wrong, but then you see how Penny freaks out?  What the fuck is she waiting for?  She's seriously just leading him on until she can find someone better.  I ain't saying she a gold digga but what the fuck is her problem?

Leonard has met, kissed, and big-banged many women better than Penny.  And I keep saying this:  if she were a sweetheart and things just weren't lining up for them like Ross and Rachel, then ok, but Penny is just a fucking BITCH so GET RID OF HER already.  She COMPLETELY takes Leonard for granted and manipulates all of them, even the girls.

I did like that Raj is the new Howard and is trapped with his mom, I thought that was pretty fun.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm still kinda waiting for them to introduce something about Penny that will give us some more understanding why Leonard is trying so hard. Right now it feels like this: "Penny is hot, ergo she can do whatever she wants and its ok".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2013, 06:34:05 PM »
Right now it feels like this: "Penny is hot, ergo she can do whatever she wants and its ok".

That's one of the most real elements of the show...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 02:10:01 AM »
Well yeah it might be real in some aspects, but it makes me as a viewer frustrated at Leonard and why he would stay with her, when she doesn't show any signs of being a caring person. She comes off as pretty shallow, and like PetFish said, it totally feels like she's only with Leonard because she's waiting for someone better to come along.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
The bottom line for me is that I cared about Ross and Rachel cuz they cared about each other.  Leonard is like me and a lot of other nerds where we care about a girl hoping one day she'll care about us and that's why this isn't funny.

In 6 seasons I can think of only 3.5 things Penny has done nice, of her own free will, for anyone that wasn't named Penny:

1)  She bought Leonard and Sheldon Star Trek toys
2)  She bought Leonard a Snuggie
3)  She got Sheldon that napkin
0.5)  She beat up Alicia who was using them which seems nice but ultimately she just wanted the monopoly on that so this is only worth half

One stereotype that's always bothered me relating to the hot blonde skating through life is that we're trying to teach our kids to get edumacated and "do the right things", right?  So here we have two highly-educated and successful physicists having to share an apartment cuz they can't afford the rent solo and then we have Penny with no edumacation and works a crappy job one shift per week and she can somehow afford her place... and buy things online all day.

I wonder if I'd get in trouble if I made pennysucks.com.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »
My biggest problem with Penny is that I find her to be a pretty terrible actress.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2013, 01:44:28 AM »
My biggest problem with Penny is that I find her to be a pretty terrible actress.
Penny's not an actress. Seems Ms Cuoco succeeded. ;)

Offline masterthes

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2013, 02:50:19 AM »
You'd think she'd pick some pointers from her time on 8 Simple Rules working with the likes of John Ritter, Katey Sagal and James Gardner

Offline PetFish

Re: Big Bang Theory - Season "Who Cares Anymore?"
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2018, 08:55:40 PM »
Well, this show is nothing but a turd now.  It's so sad.  The girls are so mean and the boys are just stupid.

Penny has solidified her character as the biggest bitch and most poorly-written of all time.

What started out as a cool show about nerds and embracing the stereotypes while also making them cool has ended up a giant F-U to nerds around the world.

:censored  :censored  :censored  :censored  :censored

The absolute ONLY bright spot is Sheldon.  He's managed to make it the entire time being what I think we all thought he would be from the beginning and adding a really believable relationship in the process that we also all thought probably would never happen.