Author Topic: Need to know the best way to suspend my Directv account  (Read 9669 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Need to know the best way to suspend my Directv account
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
I basically have zero reason to pay for Directv since I live with my folks who've just switched to a competitor and I only kept the account cuz I still wanted to see Saints games and am living in a different state right now so I'd miss them otherwise (I have that sunday ticket thing.) They've already fulfilled the 2-year obligation the contract stipulates and I have zero desire to spend >$100 a month just so I can reach near-fatal blood pressure levels watching the Saints lube up their back sides and beg for it rough and deep from every opponent they face. I just paid my bill yesterday but I wanna see about having it suspended right before any new charges would start to accumulate however I'm leaning toward just cancelling it because:

Quote from: directv website
If there is an active sports subscription installment payment on the account, any remaining multi-pay charges are billed to your account when it's reinstated from suspension even if the season has ended

Here's a link to the page where it covers the details: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2430/~/suspending-your-directv-service

Here's the full text of the terms pertaining to it:

How do I suspend my DIRECTV service?

If you will not be using your DIRECTV service and would like to temporarily suspend your account, you can do this at no charge by calling us at 1-800-531-5000 between 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM.

Reasons you might put your service on hold include:

Going away on vacation
You have a second home and only need service for part of the year
You are moving or relocating to a new location and it will be a while before you can have DIRECTV service at your new home
Requirements for putting your service on hold

Zero balance on your bill
Customers with only 1 account are allowed a maximum of 2 suspend requests every 12 months
Customers with 2 or more accounts are allowed a maximum of 4 suspend requests per account every 12 months
Total time with service suspended per 12 month period cannot exceed 6 months
The minimum time for an account suspend is 30 days
Additional reminders about putting your service on suspension:

Service agreements are extended for the amount of time the account is in suspension. For example: Your service agreement expires in June, but then you suspended the account for 4 months. The updated service agreement now ends in October
Recurring or promotional credits don't get extended. For example: You currently have 6 months left of a $10 for 12 months credits offer, but suspend your account for 2 months. You will forfeit the credits during the time in suspend. Your account will receive the remaining 4 months of credits when it is reinstated from suspension
If there is an active sports subscription installment payment on the account, any remaining multi-pay charges are billed to your account when it's reinstated from suspension even if the season has ended

I know I've read about one of the members of DTF suspending their account during the NFL offseason and just picking it up for the Sunday Ticket portion of the season (maybe El Barto or Dr. DTVT?) Basically I just need to know whether to suspend or cancel.

Thanks!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Need to know the best way to suspend my Directv account
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
Personally I would just cancel your account. If the only reason you had it was to watch sports that you no longer care to see.. then its really not worth it. When you reinstate the account i believe charges for that month are instantly put on to your account and you have to pay till the end of the month, iirc. so if you feel your going to keep it afterwards, then by all means just suspend it. otherwise imo just get rid of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
If you already paid for Sunday ticket, suspending or cancelling is just throwing money away since you can't recoup that loss.

If you don't pay for ticket, you can suspend your account for up to 6 months, at which point it gets automatically reactivated.  If you cancel, you they prorate the bill so the sooner you cancel the more they will refund you.  I used to suspend my account every summer because I didn't watch much TV in the summer.  However when I moved DirecTV couldn't get a signal through the treeline that is conveniently on my neighbors property edge so I was forced to switch to Time Warner, which is like having to eat reconstituted yak shit after years of eating at Lonestar's.  When I cancelled, I had to send back the DVR, but I got refunded the prorated portion of my bill, which was all but 3 days worth.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:37:58 AM »
Okay, here are my specifics:

1. I just paid my current bill which was due on 10/7. I believe that they make you pay for each month ahead of time so I think my next bill wouldn't be due until 11/7-ish.

2. I wanna call them and find out when I'd need to cancel by in order to avoid any new charges accruing since I'd hate to just lose sunday ticket if I was suddenly working again and could afford to just throw away the ~$500 (total cost of the sunday ticket package plus the monthly bill through the end of football season) to watch the Saints games in case they somehow stop sucking (losing their first 4 games has sucked but they've been in every single one until at least the last 2 minutes so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see some resurgence come game 7 once we're not being coached by our 3rd choice.)

3. I'm curious if I need to provide any proof to them about my reason for wanting to suspend the account should I choose to go that route or if I can just straight up do it without having to answer to anyone about it.

4. Does anyone know if they'll hold me accountable for the remaining payments on sunday ticket if I cancel the account? (Rather than suspending which does make me liable for it.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon