Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 73054 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!
« Reply #560 on: November 06, 2012, 02:47:13 PM »
Every era of music has something that's shit.  Personally, I just found the whole genre of grunge to be shit - some individual songs not-withstanding.  There's lots of 90s music that I love that I didn't discover until the 00s.  The 90s were just a time in my life (University, meeting wife, marriage, starting family) that I didn't explore too much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #561 on: November 06, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I just find it fascinating how (generally speaking) the older we get the more we hold current music in disdain.  It's a phenomenon that happens with every single generation.   The refrain is always the same:  "The music sucks nowawadays... it'll be never be as good as enter names of nostagic/classic/oldies bands here."   

Music is so powerful that it tends to get anchored to a specific time and place.   So I guess if the music doesn't "speak" to you anymore, it's difficult to relate and easy to dismiss as "bad".   As a 49 y.o., I'm certainly guilty of this.

I think we get so busy it is hard to explore new stuff. When I probably have a total of under 5 hours a week to listen to music, it is tough. If I have a spare 15 minutes it is going to be something I know I'm gonna enjoy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #562 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Fortunately, I work from home, so as long as I'm not on a call, music is always on. I'd say a good 6 hours a day minimum.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
I grew up with the grunge movement; that's all I heard in school. I didn't think much of it at the time and still don't. Alice in Chains are decent though. But 70s and 80s rock/metal just blow the 90s and 00s mainstream rock sound out of the water.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #564 on: November 06, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »
Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana and Pearl Jam (to a point) were the best bands to come out of the "grunge" movement IMO, and they're the "big 4" of the 90s Seattle bands.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #565 on: November 07, 2012, 02:59:21 AM »
Fortunately, I work from home, so as long as I'm not on a call, music is always on. I'd say a good 6 hours a day minimum.

You're a lucky man Chad. I get my journey time to work (25 mins or so) and whatever I can cram in around the kids and when the Mrs is watching trash tv.

I hated Grunge. I found nothing in it to like. The  songs were dreary and miserable and I didn't feel like that at the time. And the musicians were no better than me. And the funniest thing was the grunge guitarists giving lessons in Guitar World mag when they sounded like they needed the lessons. The 90s (especially the late 90s) were the lost years for me.
What I didn't like were the 80s bands "going grunge" because it didn't work. Grunge was a reaction against those bands so the grunge fans were unlikely to embrace them and their core fans would only feel betrayed at the new direction.
I did find some new music in the 90s but I had to work harder for it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:08:11 AM by Lowdz »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #566 on: November 07, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »
My store is literally 7 minutes (5 miles) from my house.

Ironically I saw AIC open the Clash Of The Titans your with 3 of the original Big Four bands. A passing of the torch, of you will.

I will say that I love Nirvana's Unplugged In New York. That is a fantastic album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #567 on: November 07, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
I will say that I love Nirvana's Unplugged In New York. That is a fantastic album.

Agreed - I think only In Utero comes anywhere close to it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: November 07, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
I think the one example of an 80s band changing their sound for the better in the 90s was Motley Crue.  That s/t with John Corabi is better then anything they did in the 80s- with the possible exception being Shout at the Devil.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #569 on: November 07, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
I could not listen to In Utero. It was nothing but noise.

I think the one example of an 80s band changing their sound for the better in the 90s was Motley Crue.  That s/t with John Corabi is better then anything they did in the 80s- with the possible exception being Shout at the Devil.

Never heard a lick of it. Recommend me two tracks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #570 on: November 07, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »

Agreed wholeheartedly - I also must be about the only person who didn't dig on the Dr. Feelgood album.  Total dreck IMO.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #571 on: November 07, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »

Not for me. It had a huge sound but lacked songs for me (there are a couple of good ones but I've not been tempted to listen to it in years) and I generally detest the downtuned guitar sound grunge and nu-metal brought with it.

I'll take Shout At The Devil and Dr Feelgood over the S/T. I wasn't the biggest Crue fan though, barring those two albums and a few scattered songs.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #572 on: November 07, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
Corabi was the best thing that happened to the Crue.
And then they ditched him.

TAC, here are two tracks they made videos for, if you'd like: Hooligan's Holiday and Misunderstood.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #573 on: November 08, 2012, 02:34:25 AM »
Corabi was the best thing that happened to the Crue.
And then they ditched him.

TAC, here are two tracks they made videos for, if you'd like: Hooligan's Holiday and Misunderstood.

Those two and Poison Apple were good tracks. I'm actually a fan of Corabi from his time in The Scream. It was the style of the S/T that I wasn't a fan of.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: November 08, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »
The whole album is great.  Hooligans Holiday and Misunderstood were the singles.  Other standouts are Poison Apples, Droppin Like Flies and Uncle Jack.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #575 on: November 08, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »
The video link a few posts ago to HH didn't work, but. Misunderstood just sounded like a million other songs.
I'll try a couple others.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #576 on: November 09, 2012, 01:42:51 PM »
TAC, you ever check out any Metal Church?   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #577 on: November 09, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
TAC, you ever check out any Metal Church?
I LOVE the three albums they did with Mike Howe. Love 'em! Essential albums in my collection.

I have never gotten into the David Wayne era. I also have one of the albums they did with Ronnie Munroe, but it is not that special.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: November 09, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
The debut from Metal Church is bad ass.  The album cover is pure metal.

I believe David Howe sang on "Badlands"- now that is a heavy metal song!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #579 on: November 09, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
Yeah, Badlands is from Blessing In Disguise, the first album they did with Mike Howe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: November 09, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
Blessing in Disguise is an amazing album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #581 on: November 09, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »
Blessing in Disguise is an amazing album.
I used to listen to it at the gym back in the day. I love it but It actually might be my least favorite of the three.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: November 09, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
That's the one I'm most familiar with in regards to their older stuff, I have a few of their cd's, I should dig them out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: November 09, 2012, 05:33:34 PM »
The other two Howe era ones are The Human Factor and Hanging In The Balance. Both are fantastic!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: November 10, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »
New Skid Row announced in early 2013 called United World Rebellion.  I keep hearing rumblings about Bach coming back.  Would love to see it and I think that would be best for the career of both the band and Bach.  The two albums the band did with Johnny have been pretty sub par.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #585 on: November 10, 2012, 05:58:07 AM »
Nah, Scotti Hill (Skids guitarist) denied the rumors about any reunion with Bach.

I don't mind that, I like Johnny (and I used to be the hugest Skid Row fan). I just wish Snake and Bolan will write decent material this time. Anything better than the last two records will do.