Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 72782 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
All of those Priest albums are great. Not sure how they never really became a favorite of mine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:03 AM »
I'm very interested to she how the Maiden albums line up on your list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »
Gee, what makes you think there would be any Iron Maiden on my list?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »

I better see one of the 2 Dianno fronted albums on this list :metal
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »

I better see one of the 2 Dianno fronted albums on this list :metal

Better check out mine when the time comes then  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
Posting to follow. Interesting start.  Definitely approve of PG.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
I originally got into Priest with Defenders of the Faith and Screaming for Vengeance, but my overall preference is for pre-British Steel Priest, i.e. Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Hell Bent and Stained Class.  There's a certain raw innocence that I love about those early albums.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
I originally got into Priest with Defenders of the Faith and Screaming for Vengeance, but my overall preference is for pre-British Steel Priest, i.e. Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Hell Bent and Stained Class.  There's a certain raw innocence that I love about those early albums.
Yes I agree. We need a poll, who is better, 70's Scorpions or 70's Priest?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »

Priest, any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. No questions asked.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »

Priest, any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. No questions asked.

This, Not a fan of early Scorps really- though Uli Jon was awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
45- Y&T- Mean Streak (1983)

Anoher 1983 release that just grabbed me and never let me go. Mean Streak topped off a great 3 album run from Y&T that included Black Tiger and Earthshaker. These 3 albums are essential for any classic metal fan.
Even with all of the pimping that Bosk does for them, they are and have always been overlooked. Dave Meniketti's vocal and guitar talents speak for themselves. Just a great album from start to finish. Mean Streak and Siogo have always been "sister" albums in my collection. Got them both around the same time, and they are very similar.

44- Anthrax - Stomp 442 (1995)

I am not sure why this album catches so much flak. Although it has aged nicely, I was somewhat disappointed in The Sound Of White Noise. Perhaps it was Dan Spitz leaving, marking consecutive release with a member departing.  Stomp has so many great tracks. John Bush just wails on this too. Some solo by Dimebag to boot. This album hit me at a turning point in my life and I really connected with a lot of the lyrics. Things like Fueled, American Pompeii, and even Bare, which I know most Anthrax fans hate. But they all kind of spoke to me.

Fave tracks: the ones mentioned above

43- Aerosmith- Night In The Ruts (1979)

I've seen Night In The Ruts listed as one Aerosmith's worst abums. I cannot disagree more. It was recorded during the darkest days of the band, but this album flat out rocks. It is by far their heaviest album. This was one of the first 8 tracks I owned so it's been with me all of my musical life, and I never get sick of it.  Just listen to the jamming in Think About It. Steven Tyler, as fucked up as he was, puts on a memorable performance on this album. Full of the Tyler style.

Fave tracks: Think About It, Three Mile Smile, Chiquita

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
Y & T is just a great hard rock band period; very underated.  I'm a big fan of John Bush, both him in Saint and Anthrax.  Don't see much mention ever of Stomp 442.  Cool choice!  Never got into Aerosmith.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
All good albums.  I saw Y&T several times, as they were a frequent support act down here.  Always put on a great show.  Mean Streak was really the only album I was fond of, though.  They got a little to poppy for me after that.  Stomp's a good album, and definitely has some great songs on it.  I don't think it can compare with the opening salvo from White Noise, but I still enjoy listening to it from time to time.  And I always thought Cheese Cake was a great song.  Between the lyrics and the gratuitous slide guitar, it's about as raunchy a song as you'll ever hear.  Good stuff. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ruba

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 12:41:43 AM »
Stomp 442!!!! American Pompeii is indeed awesome!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:51 AM »
Mean Streak is a great album. Y&T certainly feature in my top 50. Thought it would be higher TAC  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 04:55:01 AM »
Mean Fucking Streak!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 06:21:04 AM »
Y & T is just a great hard rock band period; very underated.  I'm a big fan of John Bush, both him in Saint and Anthrax.  Don't see much mention ever of Stomp 442.  Cool choice!  Never got into Aerosmith.
I love John Bush. Saint will be represented here, trust me! As far as Aerosmith, youtube Think About It. It has one of their most ferocious solo sections in their catalog. Also try Bone To Bone (Coney Island White Fish Boy). Like I said, this is Aerosmith at their heaviest and loosest.

Stomp 442!!!! American Pompeii is indeed awesome!
A great song that got me through a very odd time in my life.
"Never as old as I was today" Love that line!

All good albums.  I saw Y&T several times, as they were a frequent support act down here.  Always put on a great show.  Mean Streak was really the only album I was fond of, though.  They got a little to poppy for me after that.  Stomp's a good album, and definitely has some great songs on it.  I don't think it can compare with the opening salvo from White Noise, but I still enjoy listening to it from time to time.  And I always thought Cheese Cake was a great song.  Between the lyrics and the gratuitous slide guitar, it's about as raunchy a song as you'll ever hear.  Good stuff. 

After Meanstreak, I was done with Y&T. In Rock We Trust has a few good songs their, but the influence of hair metal and the Eddie rip off definitely turned me off. But I still love both Black Tiger and Earthshaker.
Also, White Noise has aged very well indeed. I clearly remember being disappointed when it came out. But I do love it now.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »

After Meanstreak, I was done with Y&T. In Rock We Trust has a few good songs their, but the influence of hair metal and the Eddie rip off definitely turned me off. But I still love both Black Tiger and Earthshaker.
Also, White Noise has aged very well indeed. I clearly remember being disappointed when it came out. But I do love it now.
The problem with White Noise is that the second half is greatly inferior to the first half.  From Potters Field to Hy-Pro Glow is awesome.  Everything after that is fairly weak.  Although the bonus tracks do make up for it a bit.  The Cowboy Song cover is excellent.  Stomp probably has the same ratio of good/bad songs, but they're evenly dispersed across the album.

And yeah, Y&T's giant robot was pretty cheesy. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
My favorite tracks off of White Noise are definitely Hi Pro Glo, and Invisible and This Is Not An Exit. Yes I agree about the B sides, and they also recorded Poison My Eyes for a soundtrack (Last Action Hero?) during this time which might have been the best Bush era song of the bunch!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:44 AM »
Never really got into Y&T and I plain just don't like Anthrax.  Aerosmith's first half a dozen albums are great, don't care for much of their output after that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Aerosmith's first half a dozen albums are great, don't care for much of their output after that.
Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find a band that was so good for a while before becoming so god-awful terrible.  There's very little that pisses me off more than Desmond Child era Aerosmith.  Partly because it's so fucking terrible, and partly because they used to be such a good band.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
My Top 5 Aerosmith albums:
Night In The Ruts
Get Your Wings
Rocks
Done With Mirrors
Rock And A Hard Place (yeah I went there!)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:18 AM »
Rock And A Hard Place (yeah I went there!)
I would probably go there as well, it's a damn good record.

Night in the ruts has never been one of my favorites, it doesn't sound too inspiring and exciting to my ears. It's a shame that the songs I like the most on this record are the covers. Draw the line, on the other hand - now there's a great underrated record.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
Except for Kings And Queens, Draw The Line is easily my least fave of the classic Aerosmith albums.  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »
It's probably my favorite Aerosmith album overall. Title track, Kings and queens, The Hand that feeds, I wanna know why, Sight for sore eyes... Man, they were so high at this time, it resulted in a highly exotic record, I just can't not love it's weirdness and some rather psychadelic tunes.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Not the biggest Aerofan but Permanent Vacation and Pump are the only albums I like.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »
It's probably my favorite Aerosmith album overall. Title track, Kings and queens, The Hand that feeds, I wanna know why, Sight for sore eyes... Man, they were so high at this time, it resulted in a highly exotic record, I just can't not love it's weirdness and some rather psychadelic tunes.
Forgot about Sight For Sore Eyes. That is a great song. And I will definitely agree on the title track. I just love the real heaviness and Fu#k You attitude of Ruts.

Not the biggest Aerofan but Permanent Vacation and Pump are the only albums I like.
Nothing wrong with Pump!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
Saw Aero on the Rock and a Hard place tour I was embarassed for them. Steven was so F#%ked up, he fell of a Ramp that went over the drum riser and wiped out half the drumset. Forgot lyrics to songs he had been singing for years and Crespo was so out of tune , that at one point Kramer,Hamilton and Duffy left the stage and had to be begged to come back out. I believe they played one or two more songs and called it a night
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
Saw Aero on the Rock and a Hard place tour I was embarassed for them. Steven was so F#%ked up, he fell of a Ramp that went over the drum riser and wiped out half the drumset. Forgot lyrics to songs he had been singing for years and Crespo was so out of tune , that at one point Kramer,Hamilton and Duffy left the stage and had to be begged to come back out. I believe they played one or two more songs and called it a night
Awesome story!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
they also recorded Poison My Eyes for a soundtrack (Last Action Hero?)

You're correct - first time I heard Poison My Eyes, it blew me away.  There was some really good stuff on that soundtrack (minus the Def Leppard and QR tracks of course).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
42- Tesla- Mechanical Resonance

In the fall of 1986, I was a freshman in college. I was driving back one Sunday night when I hear this killer song on the radio. I've never heard it, but it was rock that was so fresh, in a great memorable style, with a unique vocalist. When the song was over I was hoping to hear who and what it was, but that didn't happen. So when I got back, I literally called the radio station to find out what they played. Tesla-Modern Day Cowboy was the answer. I immedeately bought the album and was hooked. It was 70's style rock with an 80's production. They fit right between UFO and Aerosmith.I would see them a few months later opening for David Lee Roth, and would follow them right until they broke up, the first time.

Fave tracks-Cumin' Atcha Live, Gettin' Better, Changes

41- Hammerfall- Legacy Of Kings

About 12 years ago, I decided I needed to check out some new music. I decided I would blind buy an album. I had 3 possible groups, Hammerfall, Sym X, and I forget the others. I listened to a handful of 30 second samples by each, but was blown away by the sample to Hammerfall's Heeding The Call.
I bought Legacy Of Kings and was blown away. Now this was the late 90's and while a lot of 80's metal bands have put out some great material over the last 6-8 years, they were all relatively quiet at this time.
Hammerfall champions the 80's hard rock/ metal that I grew up with, blending Dio, Helloween, Yngwie, Maiden, Saxon, Accept, and Dokken.
Now their catalog has certainly proven to be somewhat inconsistent, but I would put their Top 20 songs against anybody's.

Fave tracks- Heeding The Call, Warriors Of Faith, Legacy Of Kings, The Fallen One

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »
Legacy of Kings is truly Hammerfall at their best. Great album, I should give it a spin again some time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
That's a pretty sad story, wkiml. No wonder they took a hiatus for a while following that tour...

Legacy of kings is pretty cool.  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
Tesla  :metal :metal :metal
Loved them.

Hammerfall- not heard this one, just have Renegade and found that to be "alright".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
Hammerfall- not heard this one, just have Renegade and found that to be "alright".
Renegade has some great songs on it, but is definitely hurt by the production, especially the lack of life in the drums. Legacy Of Kings is much stronger sounding.