Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 73210 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
You keep cheating with placing two albums at one spot. But you're always picking great albums.  :biggrin: Can't argue with those favorite songs neither.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
Wow. I wouldn't have expected TFF to be on your list, to be honest, I always thought that you were a bigger fan of the older Maiden stuff.

AMOLAD is awesome, btw, and was featured on my list as well. Incredible album. :metal :metal

Well, that's probably because I am an "older" Maiden fan. I just think the reunion albums have all been incredible. They have really challenged themselves to be relevant and it shows.
Now I am the biggest Maiden fan and I hold them in the highest regard, but even I did not think they had an album like AMOLAD in them. It's simply epic. And then they followed it up with an album that on its worst day is equal to it. TFF is a stunning album.

You keep cheating with placing two albums at one spot. But you're always picking great albums.  :biggrin:

Yeah I said that I would do that at the beginning. I will do it 3 more times in my countdown.

I really should pick up TFF.  AMOLAD is great, but of the reunion era albums, DoD is my preference.

Yes you should. I am glad you like DOD and AMOLAD, but TFF is colored a bit brighter, and I think that would appeal to you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
Won't argue with AMOLAD, a great Maiden album, but TFF is nowhere near as good and I'd pick just about anything on your list so far over it.

My opinion counts for little as I guess I'm not a huge Maiden fan. Love their early stuff to Live After Death but it's been slim pickings for me from there. Always though Maiden should sound better on album than they do.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
I originally found AMOLAD to be a chore to digest.  The music maintains the same dark brooding timbre, song after song throughout the entire album.   I've warmed up to it a bit more over time, but it ranks 3rd out of their 4 reunion-era albums. 

The Final Frontier on the other hand has a lot more "color" as you say... more variety of tone and in the playing.   I've mentioned it before, but I think TFF is where Maiden made a conscious effort to capture the sounds of 70's-era hard rock like Deep Purple, Cream, Hendrix, Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, etc., sorta like what Opeth did with Heritage.  It's not just straight-ahead heavy metal balls n' chunk anymore.  This decision actually works to open up the music on TFF to a broader sound palette.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »
Yeah, LV, you can see how they built on what was laid down with AMOLAD.
Both album reach a level that even I did not think they were capable of. I really tried hard to not getting hopes up for TFF and it just blew me away.
You are also right that TFF manages to work in their 70's influence like no other album they have ever done. That is the great dichotomy of TFF. They have pushed their writing and playing as far as they ever have yet managed to include blatantly those 70's influences that were far more subtle in the past.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #320 on: October 17, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »
Won't argue with AMOLAD, a great Maiden album, but TFF is nowhere near as good and I'd pick just about anything on your list so far over it.

My opinion counts for little as I guess I'm not a huge Maiden fan.
Well, I am a huge Maiden fan, and I agree with your initial assessment there.  AMoLaD is the best thing they've done since SSoaSS, but TFF didn't do much for me.  Considering how unique S15 was to begin the album, I was really stoked, but most of what followed sounded like filler to me.  WtWWB is a very good song, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #321 on: October 17, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
AMOLAD knocked my socks off.  Right up there with all Maiden albums.

TFF is very good but just a shade below AMOLAD but it's amazing to see a band get better with age.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #322 on: October 17, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
.  Considering how unique S15 was to begin the album, I was really stoked, but most of what followed sounded like filler to me.

One thing the reunion albums have lacked has been great openers. I might actually prefer the 4 reunion albums to PoM through 7th Son, but compare the openers:
Where Eagles Dare....The Wicker Man
Aces High...Wildest Dreams
Caught Somewhere In Time...Different World
Moonchild...TFF

A clean sweep for the 80's albums. I thought the build up of S15 was completely let down by TFF, not that I don't like the song, but it is misplaced on the album. Maiden needed an Aces High/Moonchild type burner after S15. That would be my biggest critique of TFF, and the reunion albums in general.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: October 17, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »
All of the reunion albums are awesome, but you need to listen to them a number of times to digest everything.  Might be a chore, but it should click.  AMOLAD and Brave New World are neck and neck for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: October 18, 2012, 03:47:14 AM »
Interesting to see TFF on your list, it's good and definitely was a grower for me, but I love it a lot though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #325 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:12 AM »
Of the comeback albums I very strongly prefer AMOLAD, and I thought Dance of Death was really weak.  The other two are...OK

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
Hey it's all good. AMOLAD was surely an album that would be difficult to follow. I consider AMOLAD to be a landmark album in Maiden's career. So while I really appreciate AMOLAD, I really enjoy TFF.

Anyway, we are now about to enter the Top 15. This is some rarefied air in the TAC collection. These albums are really the most important and enjoyable albums in my musical life.
So..speaking of Iron Maiden:

15. Iron Maiden- Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)

I have been a Maiden fan my whole musical listening life. I have never been more of one in 1987-88. They had just released Somewhere In Time, an album I loved, and the tour still remains as one of my all time favorite conerts. So I was primed when Seventh Son came out. It was near the end on my sophomore year in college. I had nothing to do but listen to music. I fell instantly in love with 7th Son. Might not be crazy about CIPWM, but the rest of the album is fantastic. Starts off killer with Moonchild and moves right into Infinite Dreams, which remains a Top 5 Maiden song for me. The album has been rehashed here a tousand times, but to me, it it one of THE feel good albums in my collection. A time in my life when I was old enough to enjoy the hell out it and the tour, but young enough to have nothing to do but take it all in.

Fave tracks: Infinite Dreams, SSOASS, Moonchild, and yes..The Prophecy

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »
 :metal

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »
First Maiden disc I ever bought.  While CIPWM is pretty poppy, I've always dug it.  I guess since I was still fairly fresh into my musical transformation from radio-friendly pop music to rock/metal in 88, it had it's appeal to me.

And thus started the 12 year decline for IM.  Sorry, but I just have no love for the 90s, including Blaze's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
And thus started the 12 year decline for IM.  Sorry, but I just have no love for the 90s, including Blaze's.
That is certainly understandable. Fear Of The Dark is pretty good though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »
The song?  Yeah.  The album?  Meh.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:19 AM »
The song?  Yeah.  The album?  Meh.
The album is easily 6 songs deep and on its best day it is 8 songs deep.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
Maiden lost me as a die hard after Powerslave.....the albums that followed became all to "samey" for me , The Blaze albums IMO were abysmal and the reunion albums although good just didn't grab my interest..Still find myself listening to the Di'anno albums and NOTB quite often
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
SSoaSS is fantastic. I ranked it even higher.  :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »
It's an ok album. Played it recently and it was ok. Some great songs (Moonchild, CIPWM, ID) and the rest is just average- and as a concept album it's lacking. I think the problem was that at the time I was into the Shrapnel guitarists and Maiden's guitarists just didn't cut it when compared to them. And as I've said before, I got it around the time I got Mindcrime and the two albums are poles apart for me. One pushed boundaries and one trod water.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
Maiden lost me as a die hard after Powerslave.....the albums that followed became all to "samey" for me , The Blaze albums IMO were abysmal and the reunion albums although good just didn't grab my interest..Still find myself listening to the Di'anno albums and NOTB quite often

They lost me after Somewhere In Time, but yeah - samey same, definitely agreed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
It is funny how on some band's albums, half the fans think they peaked and the other half feel the decline had started. Always such a fine line. Interesting.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »
Fave tracks: Infinite Dreams, SSOASS, Moonchild, and yes..The Prophecy
Well done, sir.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
OK, since I won't have time in the morning before I go to work, here is tommorow's update:

14. Rush- Moving Pictures (1981)

This came out when I was in the 7th grade. I got into Rush with Moving Pictures and they would become one of my first favorite bands. I immedeately got the back catalog over the next year (Love the Columbia House Record And Tape Club!!). This album takes me away. Such vivid imagery (Red Barchetta, Witch Hunt) and such musicality (Tom Sawyer, YYZ). Rush would end up planting the seeds in my musical consciousness that would grow to become Dream Theater. Red Barchetta remains my favorite Rush song of all time. I still get goosebumps listening to it.

Fave tracks: Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, The Camera Eye

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
All Rush is great, but this is the best Rush.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Columbia House!!!!  My CD collection was built on the backs of that.

Excellent Rush... 2nd best for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
I think I still owe Columbia House 12 bucks from 1995

Offline Mladen

« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2012, 01:12:42 AM »
Great Rush album.  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2012, 04:08:41 AM »
I think I still owe Columbia House 12 bucks from 1995

Don't we all? :lol

GREAT album.  Not my favorite, but in my Top 5 Rush albums for sure.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: October 19, 2012, 04:45:45 AM »
Favourite Rush album :hefdaddy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
:birch: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns :birch:

This.

Don't really care about AMOLAD or TFF. Overlong albums with a lack of decent musical ideas.

SSOASS is very good, and The Prophecy is a true gem. I have no idea why people doesn't like it.

Moving Pictures is excellent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »
Seventh Son was the last IM album I got deep into until Brave New World in 2000.  Not that i didn't listen to No Prayer and Fear.  It was a great tour and a very good album.

Now Moving Pictures was what also got me into Rush and I as well went back through their catalog but not through Columbia House, (my cousin did that)

I got archives next to own the 1st 3 albums and then I went nuts bying everything.  Great album and top 20 for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2012, 06:59:34 AM »
Red Barchetta remains my favorite Rush song of all time.

I assume you've heard the tribute version with JLB on vocals, right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 19, 2012, 07:50:36 AM »
Red Barchetta remains my favorite Rush song of all time.

I assume you've heard the tribute version with JLB on vocals, right?

Working Man is awesome.  Particularly fond of Jacob's Ladder with Bach.