Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 73277 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2012, 06:08:47 AM »
Riot is in the same category as Y&T; straight up awesome hard rock and underrated.  Big fan of Cooper as well, my fave is Raise Your Fist and Yell.  And Wolf, I know you mentioned that you only buy new cds, but make an exception for Rainbow.  It is live Ronnie!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2012, 06:30:03 AM »
Riot is in the same category as Y&T; straight up awesome hard rock and underrated.  Big fan of Cooper as well, my fave is Raise Your Fist and Yell.  And Wolf, I know you mentioned that you only buy new cds, but make an exception for Rainbow.  It is live Ronnie!!
RYFAY is excellent. I saw that tour and got covered in blood in the front row at the Boston Garden. Roses On White Lace is a Top 10 Alice song for me! It is horrifically insane!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2012, 06:39:42 AM »
Recently, the guys on "That Metal Show" did a top 5 on "Worst Album Covers".  They picked Fire Down Under as their #1 worst.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
Recently, the guys on "That Metal Show" did a top 5 on "Worst Album Covers".  They picked Fire Down Under as their #1 worst.  :lol
Coz, have you ever heard it? You would like it. You should be all over Swords And Tequila.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #284 on: October 16, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »
That mention on TMS was the first time I'd heard of it.  S-words and Tequila sounds good to me.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
Yeaahhh Riot!! Fiiiree down under!! Great band!

Also, Gamma Ray, Tygers of Pantang! Rose Tattoo!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
Shit, Fire Down Under is incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »
Also, any of you guys heard of a band called 'KIX'? They were a cool sounding band, one of their songs was 'Kix are for kids'.   :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
^I had a Kix album when I was a kid.  Can't remember what it was called, though.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2012, 09:04:57 AM »
Rcognize the name Kix, but can't recall any of their tunes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
Whoa, seriously, nobody remembers Kix?  I guess it's just because they're from near this area that I remember them, but yeah, I guess I thought they were a bigger deal than they were.  They play every year at the M3 concert and they still put on a kick ass performance.  Cold Blood, Girl Money, Yeah Yeah Yeah, Body Talk, Blow My Fuse, Don't Close Your Eyes.  Good stuff.  Steve Whiteman has another band on the side, called Funny Money, with a few of the guys from Kix.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #291 on: October 16, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
I never was a Kix fan.  They just never clicked for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:12 AM »
Shit, Fire Down Under is incredible.
Amen, brother!

Also, any of you guys heard of a band called 'KIX'? They were a cool sounding band, one of their songs was 'Kix are for kids'.   :metal
I had their first album when I was a kid. It was excellent. I also had an awesome live tape the did from King Biscuit in 1983 that was incredible. I would lose track of them through the 80's and of course, Don't Close Your Eyes made me want to gag.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Whoa, seriously, nobody remembers Kix?  I guess it's just because they're from near this area that I remember them, but yeah, I guess I thought they were a bigger deal than they were.  They play every year at the M3 concert and they still put on a kick ass performance.  Cold Blood, Girl Money, Yeah Yeah Yeah, Body Talk, Blow My Fuse, Don't Close Your Eyes.  Good stuff.  Steve Whiteman has another band on the side, called Funny Money, with a few of the guys from Kix.

Whatever album that song is on, that's the one I had.  Didn't really like it much, though.  :-\

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #294 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
That was on Blow My Fuse.  To be fair, I don't care for "Don't Close Your Eyes" either.  Cold Blood, however, is an excellent tune.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: October 16, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »
What I meant was I didn't really care much for the album, or the band for that matter.  They were....OK....but they were competing against stuff like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, where I think they were kind of outclassed and outgunned.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #296 on: October 16, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
Off course they were outgunned. But you can´t deny there was a great batch of bands coming out back then. Blackfoot were a great band as well....

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: October 16, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »
Sure there were plenty of decent groups back then.  Blackfoot wasn't really my cuppa either, though  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #298 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
Certainly Kix were never in Maiden's or Priest's league. But they weren't that kind of band, either. They were simple East Coast club rock, similar to what was going on in LA only there was no sleaze factor. They were kind of a cross between Slade and Randy era Quiet Riot. Good time fun rock.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
Kix kind of came of to me as a US version of Bon Scott AC/DC..not that there is anything wrong with that

Riot on the otherhand is one of my favorite bands EVER

Riot went through lots of fazes and members with Mark Reale being the only constant

With Guy...straight up hard rock

with Rhett..bit more bluesy but started experimenting with Speed Metal

with Tony..pretty much speed metal

with Mike T and Mike D....went back to hard rock but kept elements of speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg.....with Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JruuMkV0gM....with Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFbTbmBkos8....with Rhett
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »
Yeah wkiml, that pick was dedicated to you!
I never followed them after Born in America, which is a truly underrated album.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
Yeah wkiml, that pick was dedicated to you!
I never followed them after Born in America, which is a truly underrated album.

Thank you Kind sir

The stuff with Tony Moore is amazing

The stuff with Mike and Mike is kind of hit and miss..some good stuff but lots of filler..Mark riffs are still top notch, but the vocal ranges with both Mikes left alot to be desired and the production wasn't done well either
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
this update falls into the "pretty good" category. Prefer the 80/early 90s output for AC. Riot are ok.

Never rated Kix personally, though I do have Sonic Dynamite.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
Prefer the 80/early 90s output for AC.
If I do a .v2, Hey Stoopid would definitely make the list. Incredible album!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #304 on: October 16, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
Prefer the 80/early 90s output for AC.
If I do a .v2, Hey Stoopid would definitely make the list. Incredible album!

Distinctly possible it may appear somewhere in my list. That guitar sound is awesome. And it has Vinnie Moore. And Satch and Vai. And err, Mick Mars...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: October 16, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »
Also Eric Singer and Derek Sherinian. What a great band!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 16, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
That singer from Kix always sort of reminded me of the guy from Great White

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #307 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
A little.  I've done openers for Steve's band Funny Money and though he's a great frontman, he's kind of a tool.  But as mentioned, an absolutely ridiculously charismatic frontman, even today.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: October 16, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
  :lol
When I was putting my list together, I wasn't expecting that we would have a one page discussion on Kix!
It's all good! Love talking music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: October 16, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Just read on Bravewords that Saxon's new album is in the can and they're looking at a Feb '13 release!!
 :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: October 16, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
Just read on Bravewords that Saxon's new album is in the can and they're looking at a Feb '13 release!!
 :metal :metal

That's good news!!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »
Welcome to My Nightmare is great! Too bad they only played Black Widow, when I saw them live.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
16. Iron Maiden- A Matter Of Life And Death (2006) AND The Final Frontier (2010)

With Brave New World and Dance Of Death, I was more than pleased with the reunion era. Iron Maiden had really grown writing and playing wise. The return of Bruce was a success!
But when I first heard AMOLAD, I could not believe my ears. This was "next level" stuff!The songs were long, dark, heavy. The playing was top notch.
How would they follow that? Frankly, I was just happy Maiden was making another album. The Final Frontier came out, while we were vacationing in Chicago. I listened to it the whole way home with tears in my ears. The Lovely Mrs TAC thought I was nuts! They put out an album of equal quality, but colored it a bit brighter.  I think it's amazing that the band I fell in love with over 30 years ago has made a couple of the best albums of their career, rewarding this lifetime fan.

AMOLAD fave tracks:For The Greater Good Of God, Lord Of Light, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
TFF fave tracks:The Talisman, Coming Home, The Man Who Would Be King

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
I really should pick up TFF.  AMOLAD is great, but of the reunion era albums, DoD is my preference.

:birch: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns :birch:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
Wow. I wouldn't have expected TFF to be on your list, to be honest, I always thought that you were a bigger fan of the older Maiden stuff.

AMOLAD is awesome, btw, and was featured on my list as well. Incredible album. :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!