Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 73164 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
This list is starting to heat up now!   Not familiar with Waysted, but my ranking of the others are:

Piece of Mind
Diary of a Madman
Blizzard of Ozz

Even though Randy Rhoads gets a lot of attention for the Ozzy albums (and rightfully so), that rhythm section of Kerslake on drums and Daisley on bass were an integral part of that band's sound.
I agree but Randy really gave the band it's lift. That along with the material, of course. The other two Daisley/Kerslake albums that came out during this time were Uriah Heep's Abominog and Head East. Neither comes close to the Ozzy stuff.

That said, Kerslake was particularly good on Diary. That rythym section certainly gave those albums some punch.

Hey LV... Daisley or Bain?? :biggrin:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
My Top 5 Ozzy albums:
1 Diary Of A Madman
2. Blizzard Of Ozz
3. Bark At The Moon
4. No More Tears
5. Ozzmosis

Anyone else?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
Piece of mind  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:06 PM »
My Top 5 Ozzy albums:
1 Diary Of A Madman
2. Blizzard Of Ozz
3. Bark At The Moon
4. No More Tears
5. Ozzmosis

Anyone else?

I'll play

1 Diary
2 Ultimate Sin (big Jake fan)
3 Blizzard
4 Bark
5 No rest
The rest don't even make an impression

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
My Top 5 Ozzy albums:
1 Diary Of A Madman
2. Blizzard Of Ozz
3. Bark At The Moon
4. No More Tears
5. Ozzmosis

Anyone else?

1. Diary of a Madman
2. Blizzard of Ozz
3. Bark at the Moon
4. The Ultimate Sin
5. Ozzmosis

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
POM is my favorite Maiden album of all time!!  You also can't go wrong with the first 2 Ozzy's.  Absolute classics.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
classic Maiden album

1) Diary
2) Bark at the Moon
3) Ultimate
4) Blizzard
5) No Rest/Ozzmosis

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
first mention of both Piece of Mind and Diary in any list
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
Kerslake and Daisly are what made Diary such an awesome album.  It's really dominated by the rhythm section.  Blizzard was all about Rhodes and Airy, and never really did it for me.  It's not bad, but it's no Diary, either. 

I still think Waysted is an urban legend.  On a couple of occasions they were scheduled to open shows down here, and they never showed up. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »
Piece of mind  :metal. It was the first Maiden album I listened to and got me immediately.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
first mention of both Piece of Mind and Diary in any list

whoa, thats a surprise

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2012, 01:52:04 AM »
Speaking of drum intros (Where Eagles Dare), one of my favourites are from Ozzy's Over The Mountain. Love that intro (and whole album).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »

I still think Waysted is an urban legend.  On a couple of occasions they were scheduled to open shows down here, and they never showed up.

They opened the Ozzy/Motley show in 83, which I missed..not allowed to go to shows yet! Damn.. and Maiden's Shomewhere In Time tour in 87. That was the "Americanized" version with Danny Vaughn on vocals.

Bart, you might like these two Waysted releases that I listed. Some great dirty guitar soundas well as the vocals also have a dirty sleazey feel.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2012, 05:33:40 AM »
OK, three more to chew on for the weekend. Next update will either be Monday or Tuesday morning...

23. AC/DC- Let There Be Rock

My favorite AC/DC album.  This album kicks ass! A lot heavier than Highway To Hell, which is an essential
albums in its own right. Great tracks like Let the Be Rock and Whole Lotta Rosie would become concert
staples for years to come. A great reworking of Problem Child, hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be...Wow, this
album never stops. Angus is just insane on this, one of his best and loosest performances on any AC/Dc
album. This is easily the hardest rocking of all of the Bon Scott era albums, and I never get sick of
listening to it.

Fave tracks: Whole Lotta Rosie, Let The De Rock, Bad Boy Bogie

22. Thin Lizzy- Bad Reputation

With apologies to Jailbreak, I must say that Bad Reputation is easily my favorite Brian Robertson era
album. he left right after the album was recroded. Heck, they even left him off the album cover!
This album just has so much character. Phil Lynott, the great storyteller, is in fin form here, bringing to life
such great tracks as Dancing In The Moonlight, The Opium Trail, and Southbound. This Lizzy was a major
influence on Iron maiden and you can really here it on this album. If you closed your eyes and listened to
the Opium Trail, you would think it's Nicko himself playing the drums.
A great line from Dear Lord, " Dear lord, Take the time. I believed your story, Now you believe mine"

Fave tracks: Southbound, Dancing In The Moonlight, Bad reputation

21. UFO- Walk On Water

This is the 1993 reunion of the classic UFO lineup that appeared on Lights Out-Obsession-Strangers In
The Night. I never thought I would see th day that Michael Schenker would return to UFO, but it happened,
and this album is dynamite. It is a fantastic updated sounding album that is very powerful. Schenkler just
rips all over it, along with that classic Phil Mogg delivery and lyrics. Phil Mogg is the most underrated
vocalist of his generation. From the opening powerhouse Self Made Man to the exquisite Dreaming Of
Summer, this album is classic UFO brought into the modern day.

Fave tracks: Dreaming Of Summer, Self Made Man, Pushed To The Limit, Darker Days

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2012, 05:34:50 AM »
Love that Lizzy record.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:45 AM »
Brian Robertson wasn't even on that album actually. He had busted his hands in a bar fight so Scott Gorham had to record all the guitar parts himself.

Great album nonetheless :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2012, 06:05:47 AM »
Brian Robertson wasn't even on that album actually. He had busted his hands in a bar fight so Scott Gorham had to record all the guitar parts himself.

Great album nonetheless :tup
I did not know that! Nice. I know Gary Moore would do the tour.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2012, 06:18:42 AM »
Let there be rock and Bad reputation are certainly among the best hard rock records of all time.  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2012, 07:00:03 AM »
Love that ACDC record. My favorite Thin Lizzy disc is by far Thunder & Lightning

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:05 AM »
Love that ACDC record. My favorite Thin Lizzy disc is by far Thunder & Lightning
T&L is great. No surprise that you like that album. It is really incredible.
I love the lyrics to Heart Attack. Kind of fitting as the last song in Thin Lizzy's discography.
"Mama, I'm dying..."
Gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2012, 08:11:51 AM »
As I figured, love the era of many of these albums coming up in your list. Of course I'm a huge fan of the Metallica and Maiden albums and because I couldn't decide on which of Blizz or Diary to list I just went with the Tribute live album which has a lot of both. I'm a massive Ozzy fan so those additions are winners in my book.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »
They opened the Ozzy/Motley show in 83
Cancelled at the last minute.

and Maiden's Shomewhere In Time tour in 87.
Nope.  Vinnie Vincent's Invasion opened that.  Waysted was usually scheduled as the first of two openers, so I'm guessing that was another cancellation.   

Something I'm curious about UFO.  Phil Mogg always sounds great in the studio, but I've never seen a video of them live where he didn't sound really weak.  Was he just one of those guys like Tony Martin that wasn't a live singer, or is it just bad luck that the only videos (even from the SitN era) are from crappy nights? 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »
Some interesting updates.  Those Ozzy albums are great and Piece of Mind is a classic  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2012, 10:13:15 AM »
Bart, interesting question about Mogg live. I have never had a problem with him. I own very live album they have and countless boots. But I love him.
I will try and go through my recordings to find a good performance to recommend to you. He is very good on the Live In Tokyo 92 album. The whole band is smoking on that.

The other thing to remember is that in the 70's/ early 80's they toured relentlessly, plus they were big time partyers. Mogg was half in the bag on most nights. Compare him to other singers of that generation. Tyler, Plant,Ozzy, he was still better than them. IMHO  of course.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
Bart, interesting question about Mogg live. I have never had a problem with him. I own very live album they have and countless boots. But I love him.
I will try and go through my recordings to find a good performance to recommend to you. He is very good on the Live In Tokyo 92 album. The whole band is smoking on that.

The other thing to remember is that in the 70's/ early 80's they toured relentlessly, plus they were big time partyers. Mogg was half in the bag on most nights. Compare him to other singers of that generation. Tyler, Plant,Ozzy, he was still better than them. IMHO  of course.

Surprised you didn't recommend Strangers?

Paul Raymond mentions that knowing they were recording the album that night they only drank one bottle of Canadian Club before the gig instead of the usual 2

HH: So the first UFO album that you were involved with was Lights Out?

PR: Yes, in 1977. It was a quite a ground-breaking record, followed by Obsession. I wrote songs on both those albums, but because of a complication with a prior publishing deal, I wasn’t credited for them. Then there was Strangers in the Night. That album kind of cemented our place in the rock hierarchy at that time. It’s still regarded today as one of the best live Rock albums and seems to have endured the test of time.

HH: Reputedly there was very little re-recording after the event, is this true or just a romantic myth?

PR: No, there really wasn’t a lot done. Everyone was aware that it was being recorded by Ron Nevison, one of the great task-masters of the recording industry, and so everyone was on their toes, so to speak. There was only one bottle of Canadian Club drunk before the gig instead of two! (laughs)

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »
Well, I figured Bart was already familiar with Strangers. Let's just say that we'll have a chance to discuss that album in the future. ;)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »
Three great bands there.
I love UFO but I've never heard this album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
Three great bands there.
Lowdz, you MUST get Walk On Water. At least sample the tracks. Dreaming Of Summer is a UFO Top 10 song for me. Classic Phil Mogg storytelling.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
Three great bands there.
Lowdz, you MUST get Walk On Water. At least sample the tracks. Dreaming Of Summer is a UFO Top 10 song for me. Classic Phil Mogg storytelling.

Will do.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »
This list is starting to heat up now!   Not familiar with Waysted, but my ranking of the others are:

Piece of Mind
Diary of a Madman
Blizzard of Ozz

Even though Randy Rhoads gets a lot of attention for the Ozzy albums (and rightfully so), that rhythm section of Kerslake on drums and Daisley on bass were an integral part of that band's sound.
I agree but Randy really gave the band it's lift. That along with the material, of course. The other two Daisley/Kerslake albums that came out during this time were Uriah Heep's Abominog and Head East. Neither comes close to the Ozzy stuff.

That said, Kerslake was particularly good on Diary. That rythym section certainly gave those albums some punch.

Hey LV... Daisley or Bain?? :biggrin:

Tough one but I take Bain. The cool thing about Daisley was that he loved to play those big juicy fat-sounding bass notes, which made his sound unique.

TAC you were the one that got me into both UFO and Thin Lizzy. But I haven't really warmed up to reunion-era UFO, and I prefer Jailbreak and Black Rose over Bad Reputation.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
My Top 5 Ozzy albums:
1 Diary Of A Madman
2. Blizzard Of Ozz
3. Bark At The Moon
4. No More Tears
5. Ozzmosis

Anyone else?

I'm with you 100% on that TAC.  Same order.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »
Tough one but I take Bain. The cool thing about Daisley was that he loved to play those big juicy fat-sounding bass notes, which made his sound unique.
Out of curiosity, what Bain work are you basing that on?  I've always held Daisly in the highest regard, and never thought much of Bain, despite being the ultimate Dio fan.  Even in Rainbow, I always felt Daisly kicked his ass.  Not giving you shit over your opinion, but I'm genuinely curious if I'm missing something. I'd love to find out I was wrong.
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »
Speaking of drum intros (Where Eagles Dare), one of my favourites are from Ozzy's Over The Mountain. Love that intro (and whole album).

I got goosebumps reading your post - I completely agree.  Diary of a Madman is my favorite Ozzy album, no contest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #243 on: October 12, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
I'm with you 100% on that TAC.  Same order.
Cool, man. Thanks for popping into the thread, Doc!

Out of curiosity, what Bain work are you basing that on?  I've always held Daisly in the highest regard, and never thought much of Bain, despite being the ultimate Dio fan.  Even in Rainbow, I always felt Daisly kicked his ass.  Not giving you shit over your opinion, but I'm genuinely curious if I'm missing something. I'd love to find out I was wrong.
LudwigVan and I have discussed this very point offline. Not that Daisley was better, but we each discussed each guy's work. I actually have a hard time figuring out exactly how good each guy is, but I figure if you can judge a guy by the company he keeps, BOTH are legendary.

I saw Gary Moore in 1987 and literally stood 6 ft from Bob Daisley.

Bob Daisley was writing a book. I wonder if it is out yet...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:09:33 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: October 12, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »

TAC you were the one that got me into both UFO and Thin Lizzy. But I haven't really warmed up to reunion-era UFO, and I prefer Jailbreak and Black Rose over Bad Reputation.
Hey that's cool.If we went out for beers, we'd probably order different brews, but we'd still have a good time! :tup