Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 72789 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
Ok, a quick weekend update!

34. Gary Moore- Corridors Of Power (1983)

I bought this when it came out in the spring of 1983. I knew he would be the opener for my first concert (Def Leppard 6-25-83) and I wanted to familiarize myself with his music. having Ian Paice, Niel Murray, and Don Airey..it was a damned all star band. And this album kicks ass. Gary was such a great and soulful guitar player. The solos in Cold Hearted are mind blowing, as is the epic I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow. This album has some mellow moments, but it serves as a lesson in blazing hard rock guitar in the early 80's.

Fave tracks-Cold Hearted,  I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow, Rockin' Every Night, Wishing Well

33. Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime (1988) and Warning (1984)

Another spot where I simply cannot decide. Mindcrime is simply spectacular, but Warning will always be the special QR album to me. I guess much in the way that SFSGSW is to me as opposed to RiP. The 3 song run from  Deliverance-No Sanctuary-NM 156 is an incredible trio in the TAC metal world. Plus Roads To Madeness!!!
Back in the day, I did not care for Rage For Order. When QR returned with Mindcrime, they blew me away. This is one of those "next level" albums that I was not expecting. The first half of this album goes by in what feels like 5 minutes. And I rank Geoff Tate's performance on Mindcrime as on of the greatest of all time.

Warning Fave tracks- Roads To Madness, Deliverance, NM 156
Mindcrime Fave tracks- The Mission, Speak, Revolution Calling, Suite Sister Mary
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »
Mindcrime ... too low.  It's a top 10 piece of art for me.

Gary Moore... great guitarist.  Really dig his stuff, but I missed his music along the way in the 80s and 90s, and as good as it is, it's not my preferred cup of tea.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »
Too low for me as well but nice that it made the list

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
Mindcrime is my favourite QR record, and it barely missed the cut for my list. It's a great album, but pretty overrated as a whole, in my opinion. Speak is pretty fucking awesome, though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
That's one of my top 3 Gary Moore albums :3

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
The Gary Moore is awesome but Mindcrime is far too low TAC  ;D

This is probably my favourite GM album but the production isn't the best. Some great ballads- and I'm a sucker for a good ballad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
Mindcrime ... too low.  It's a top 10 piece of art for me.

Mindcrime is far too low TAC  ;D

Too low for me as well

I see a trend... Yeah it is awesome. It's tied for #33 on my all time list. That's after a ton of albums in my lifetime. I'd say it's still pretty high! :)
My favorite songs are on Warning, but O:M is probably ore consistent throughout. That's why they're tied.

I am happy to see some Gary Moore love around here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »
3 home runs there Buddy.  Man I loved COP.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »
I didn't care for Rage when it came out either, but it's subsequently passed O:M in my book. 

Saw Moore shortly after that album, but sadly don't remember anything about it.  Young, dumb kid wasn't a fan at the time.  One of the few shows I really regret not paying more attention to.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »
Totally missed you'd put O:M and TW together. I love The Warning too. So many great songs but a couple that didn't hit the spot originally (love it all now).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2012, 06:14:12 AM »

Saw Moore shortly after that album, but sadly don't remember anything about it.  Young, dumb kid wasn't a fan at the time.  One of the few shows I really regret not paying more attention to.
I was interested because of Ian Paice and Neil Carter. This was before the DP reunion and seeing Paice live was a treat.

As well as Rage has aged for me, I could not put it ahead of O:M.

Totally missed you'd put O:M and TW together. I love The Warning too. So many great songs but a couple that didn't hit the spot originally (love it all now).

There will be a number of times going forward that I will pair albums up.
I would take Deliverance, Sanctuary, NM 156, and Roads To Madness over anything from O:M but the bottom songs on Warning are also worse than anything on O:M.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2012, 06:20:23 AM »
Fuck yeah, Corridors of Power.  :metal

Good to see appreciation for the Warning too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »
Really happy to see the Gary Moore appreciation. Strangely, John Petrucci never mentions him as an influence but I hear a TON of Gary in JP's playing. Especially in certain solos where JP hits those real rich tones.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »
Going back a couple of pages, I had a good listen to the Armored Saint and Jesus TAC you were right. Great album. Waiting for it to arrive with bated breath.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
Going back a couple of pages, I had a good listen to the Armored Saint and Jesus TAC you were right. Great album. Waiting for it to arrive with bated breath.
:metal :metal
Awesome Lowdz!
My favorite Armored Saint song comes off of Raising Fear. It is called Book Of Blood. Check it out.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »
Awesome Lowdz!
My favorite Armored Saint song comes off of Raising Fear. It is called Book Of Blood. Check it out.

Big Saint fan boy here. And TAC is right -- Book of Blood is awesome. The solo shreds. Favorite album by them remains Symbol of Salvation though.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »

nice

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
Awesome Lowdz!

Big Saint fan boy here. And TAC is right -- Book of Blood is awesome. The solo shreds. Favorite album by them remains Symbol of Salvation though.
Thanks, Sam! Nice to see you!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »
Update!

32. Saxon- Power And The Glory (1983)

Power And The Glory really took Saxon to a new level in terms of playing, writing, and production. Gone were the AC/DC inspired NWOBHM songs and they were replaced by a band that seemed set to take over the world. This album is that strong. Why it didn't happen, I just don't know. Well, one reason I think is that they were the ugliest looking band of all of the NWOBHM, and I just don't think anyone was willing to put some serious money behind them. They wre always one or two steps behind Maiden and even Def Leppard at that point. Saxon would continue their excellence with Cusader, which seemed to alienate their English fans with the song, Sailing To America..but I digress. Power And The Glory should be in everybody's heavy metal library.

Fave tracks- Power And The Glory, This Town Rocks, Nightmare

31. Lucifer's Friend- Mean Machine (1981)

One day in 1985, I was looking through the bargain bin at a local Woolworth's. I find this cassette for $2.99 called Lucifer's Friend- Mean Machine. The song title looked cool enough, so I took a chance. By the end of the first song, One Way Street To Heartbreak, my jaw was on the floor. This is great classic hard rock.
Lucifer's Friend was a 70's band. You all may remember LudwigVan's Forgotten Bands thread. Mean Machine marked the return of original vocalist John Lawton, who left for a few years to Uriah Heep.
There are only a few songs on Youtube from this album, and not even the best ones.

Fave tracks- One Way Street To Heartbreak, Cool Hand Killer, Hey Driver

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
Power and the Glory's the best album on here so far.  Interesting that you didn't include Eagle on your suggested tracks.  Regardless, every song on it's a winner.

I only remember Lucifer's Friend because of a video LV posted.  Plus,  not many bands have a French horn player and Fredo Corleone on vocals. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »
Love all of Saxons material and Power and the Glory is definitely a standout. I think this might be the first time Saxon made a list too

Online Mladen

« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2012, 03:11:18 AM »
Ooh, my favorite Saxon album!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2012, 04:36:32 AM »
Love all of Saxons material and Power and the Glory is definitely a standout. I think this might be the first time Saxon made a list too
P&G was on a list recently. Kirk's maybe..,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »
So, to recap 31-50:

50. Judas Priest-Screaming For Vengeance
49. Blackfoot-Siogo
48. Heavy Pettin' - Lettin, Loose
47. Heavenly- Dust To Dust
46. Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti
45. Y&T- Mean Streak
44. Anthrax- Stomp 442
43. Aerosmith- Night In The Ruts
42. Tesla- Mechanical Resonance
41. Hammerfall- Legacy Of Kings
40. The Sweet- Desolation Boulevard
39. Armored Saint- Symbol Of Salvation
38. Flotsam & Jetsam- No Place For Disgrace AND When The Storm Comes Down
37. Dream Theater- When Day And Dream REunite
36. Kiss- Hotter Than Hell
35. Megadeth- So Far So Good So What
34. Gary Moore- Corridors Of Power
33. Queensryche- Warning AND Operation Mindcrime
32. Saxon- Power And The Glory
31. Lucifer's Friend- Mean Machine

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:28 AM »
30. Dream Theater- A Dramatic Turn Of Events (2011)

What can I say that hasn't been said all over DTF. This album more than surpassed my expectations and I am very happy with a return to the classic DT sound and attitude.

Fave tracks- Breaking All Illusions, Outcry, Lost Not Forgotten

29. Rush- Hemisperes (1978)

Rush was one of my first favorite bands before they jumped into the synth era. Hemispheres, to me, is their pinnacle album of the 70's. Like all the one before it were leading up to it. Love the title track though find that it lacks a little of the character of 2112 (the song), but the music is and playing are much better. In fact, drumming wise, this is my favorite Peart album. What he does in La Villa Strangiato, possible the great hard rock instrumental there is, is nothing short of incredible. I wore this out on 8

track as a kid and it really helped shape my musical tastes, especially in terms of musicianship.

Fave tracks: Hemispheres, La Villa Srangiato, The Trees

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2012, 06:46:53 AM »
Two great albums for sure :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
2 albums that get regular spins for me.  Alex's playing on Hemisphere's is second to none.  I would kill to see the title track played live.  (Though I do have a bootleg :biggrin:)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2012, 07:11:47 AM »
ADTOE is super overrated.

Hemispheres is a great album
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »
ADTOE is super.  Period.

Hemispheres is a great album

Fix'd.  Good update TAC.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »
Best.Saxon.Album.Ever  :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:48 AM »
I'm a Saxon noob but I've always thought that Denim And Leather, Strong Arm Of The Law, and Wheels Of Steel was considered their best ones/classics, and that the decline started with Power & The Glory. The reviews I've seen for that album were mostly negative. I guess it goes to show that you shouldn't rely that much on reviews and just listen to the music and judge it yourself.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
I'm a Saxon noob but I've always thought that Denim And Leather, Strong Arm Of The Law, and Wheels Of Steel was considered their best ones/classics, and that the decline started with Power & The Glory. The reviews I've seen for that album were mostly negative. I guess it goes to show that you shouldn't rely that much on reviews and just listen to the music and judge it yourself.
The classic early Saxon albums are all great. But I compare the jump from Denim And Leather to Power And The Glory to AC/DC going from Highway To Hell to Back In Black.
The follow up to P&G is Crusader. That is a great album to itself. It caught a lot of flack in England because of the song Sailing To America. A look of desperation to break the US market. But it is still a great album. They would definitely take a stepback after Crusader and the rest of the 80's was somewhat spotty.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2012, 08:07:36 AM »
Yeah, that's strange, because I've got all of Saxon's albums except for the most recent ones and to me their three best are Denim & Leather, Power & The Glory and Crusader, with P&TG being (at least from my perspective) the pinnacle of their creative abilities.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »
Yeah, that's strange, because I've got all of Saxon's albums except for the most recent ones and to me their three best are Denim & Leather, Power & The Glory and Crusader, with P&TG being (at least from my perspective) the pinnacle of their creative abilities.
Their last half dozen albums are incredible. Some of the best stuff they've ever done.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »
Really?  Now you tell me  :lol   Alright, any particular stand outs?