Author Topic: The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!  (Read 72780 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The TAC Top 50! v. Old guys talking about music!
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
....will commence in the morning! ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:10:27 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The TAC Top 50!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
Screw you :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
 :lol

Will follow of course!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Really looking forward to this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
Really really looking forward to this.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:56:12 AM »
Bastard! :lol :lol

Following, of course. I believe that this will be quite interesting.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 03:05:14 AM »
Crap! Fell for that one!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »
Hi, my name is TAC. I love music!

Well, here we go... Just to give you a point of reference, I just turned 44 last week (WTF?). I graduated high school in 1986 and college in 1990.
I'm not sure that my list will have many surprises. I am more of a classic heavy metal guy. I held my self to no self imposed boundries. In fact my Top 50 may contain close to 60 albums because in some instances, where a band made "sister" albums to me, or where I simply could not decide, I listed them together.

Anyway, some honerable mentions...

Deep Purple-Burn (1974)

My favorite Deep Purple studio album. I have great memories of listening to this cassette riding to hockey games and doing my paper route. I love Ian Paice's work here and the terrific vocals by David Coverdale and especially Glen Hughes. The title track is one of my all time favorite songs with Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord trading great runs. It's very easy to hear the influence they would have on Dream Theater.

Fave tracks: Burn, Might Just Take Your Life, Mistreated

Rush- 2112 (1976)

This was tough to leave out. Rush was one of my first favorite bands when I was a kid. We,re talking 7th grade here. I had all of the 8 tracks. This album is just so dynamic. I love the story of the title track,especially how it was presented. I thought the music carried it perfectly. The other track are also very good, especially Something For Nothing.

Fave tracks: 2112, Something For Nothing

Iced Earth- Alive In Athens (1999)

I have often called this the "Frampton Comes Alive" of heavy metal. This album is a great live document for a moment in time that is really all you need to know from Iced Earth. I rememeber discovering them on this album. I made a blind buy because it looked so cool. Every time I would flick through the Iron Maiden bin, I ced earth was right next to it. I picked it up and , though it took me a few listens, when it hit, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Simply amazing performances.

Fave Tracks: Dante's Inferno, A Question Of heaven, The Prophecy, Travel In Stygian

Blondie- Eat To The Beat (1979)

OK don't laugh! This was one of the first albums that I ever owned, and it still holds up today. There are some great songs on this. Debbie Harry was NOT a great singer, obviously, but there is so much character on this album. The and actually rocks pretty good. I would love to see a metal band remake a couple of tracks from this. I actually got one band I was in to cover Living In The Real World. It sounded great!

Fave tracks: Living In The Real World, Accidents Never Happen, Shayla

Van Halen- Fair Warning (1981)

Another one of my first favorite bands. Fair Warning is my favorite of the DLR era. It'sprobably their heaviest. I just remember spending hours as a kid listening to them. Their music was just so much fun. You could literally feel it through the music. I thought that that was a real talent that they had. Van Halen could literally pick you up with what they were playing, and just put you in a good mood. Great summer music.

Fave tracks: Sinner's Swing, So This Is Love, Mean Streets
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »
OK..here's the first 5!

50- Judas Priest- Screaming For Vengeance (1982)

I put this in as a last minute switch with one of my honoroable mentions. As much as I am a huge clssic metal guy, I've always only been a casual fan of Judas Priest. I mean, i like them as much as the next guy, but they have never really ranked as a favorite band of mine.
But this is one album that I absolutely treasure. It colntains probably the greatest album opening in the history of metal. And the album never really lets up. Even the secondary tracks I enjoy. I don't think Rob Halford ever sounded better.

Fave tracks: Screaming For Vengeance, Riding On The Wind, Hellion/Electric Eye

49- Blackfoot-Siogo (1983)

Some consider 1983's Siogo as the beginning of the end of this southern (hard) rock band. They hired Ken Hensley (Uriah Heep) on keyboards. But oddly they make a terrific album here. Sort of a Southern Rock meets NWOBHM.  Ricky Medlocke was a great frontman. Currently, he is the face of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

This album was preceeded by 1981's Marauder. Again, classic hard rock meets southern rock. Maurauder gets an honorable mention here along with Tomcattin, and Strikes. Together these 4 albums are classics is the TAC collection.

Fave tracks off Siogo: Send Me An Angel, Teenage Idol, Sail Away

48- Heavy Pettin'- Lettin' Loose (1983)

Scotland's entry into the NWOBHM. To me, this album captures that time perfectly. Musically it sits right in the middle of Def Leppard's High And Dry and Pyromania. If you are a fan of either of those albums, you MUST check out Lettin' Loose. Heavy Pettin' would go on to release two more albums, but I was less than impressed. Lettin' Loose ais a great "moment in time" album that is a must for any classic NWOBHM fan.

Fave tracks: Victims Of The Night, Hell Is Beautiful, Broken Heart

47- Heavenly- Dust To Dust  (2004)

Released in 2004, this to me is what it would be like if Queen released a metal album.  I stumbled upon Heavenly while on Kai Hansen's website and noticed his work with the French band on their debut Coming From The Sky. I blind bought that and their second album Sign Of The Winner. Now Sign Of The Winner is a GREAT album, but their third, Dust To Dust goes "next level". There's is of course power, thrash, and melodic rock on this, a blending of styles to create a grand album. This album also has some of the best double bass drumming I've ever heard courtesy of Max Pilo. Unfortunately, the band spli in two after this release, with guitarist Frederic LeClerq now wasting his time as Dragonforce's bassist. Too bad because he is a phenominal musician.

Fave Tracks: Evil, Victory, Fight For Deliverance

46- Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti (1975)

I am not a huge Zeppelin guy. I mean I like them and all, and recognize their influence, but they are NOT one of my favorite bands. Still I feel the inclusion of Physical Graffiti is necessary on my Top 50. To me, the double album is a "one stop shop" for Zeppelin. It is a showcase for all the band does. To me, it's their creative peak.

Fave Tracks: In My Time Of Dying, In The Light, The Wanton Song

Next update will be Wednesday morning, but there's 10 albums to chew on!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
Screaming for Vengeance is a killer album, with Electric Eye being one of the finest JP moments.

Don't know the others, except for PG, which I'm kinda indifferent to.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
Physical Graffiti is a great album. The fact that Kashmir is not among your favorites puzzels me a bit
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
Screaming for vengeance - waaaaaaay too low

Physical graffiti - waaaaaaay too high

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »
Physical Graffiti is a great album. The fact that Kashmir is not among your favorites puzzels me a bit

Kashmir is one of those songs that I can never get sick of. I mean, I listed my 3 faves from the album. But I love the whole album. Even Down By The Seaside. Especially Down By The Seaside.

Don't know the others, except for PG, which I'm kinda indifferent to.

If Queen made a heavy metal album, it would be Heavenly's Dust To Dust. Spectacular playing.
If you like the NWOBHM, especially early Def Leppard, try Heavy Pettin'.  Youtube my fave tracks and check 'em out!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
Burn, 2112, Iced Earth, VH!  Great honorable mentions.

I really need to check out Screaming for Vengeance.  PG is great.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
Following .....Although we are similar in Age of both have a love for NWOBHM....my tendencies lean toward the heavier Thrash side...be interesting to see where your list goes
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
Great idea TAC! I know we will share a LOT of the same favorites, being the same age (actually I'm 45) and sharing the same tastes. How many Scorpions and Maiden albums will there be?  :corn.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
You're off to a great start there TAC :tup

I'm hoping for some classic 70s Scorpions, especially my favourite: Taken By Force :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »
Yeah!!!!! Now this will be a killer list, great start.  Priest, Iced Earth, Rush, VH, LZ, all awesome material.  Hellion/Electric Eye is the best lead off track from any album.  Only Neon Knights can compare.   I would rank Fair Warning much higher, its my personal favorite VH album.  I'll pretend I didnt see Blondie.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
I'll pretend I didnt see Blondie.
Hey, we all got secrets!  :lol

You're off to a great start there TAC :tup

I'm hoping for some classic 70s Scorpions, especially my favourite: Taken By Force :metal

Zy, I love Taken By Force but sadly there will be no Scorps on my list. 50 albums fill up pretty damn quick! Sorry to you too, Dream Team.  :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
hmm....already some stuff I've never heard of, and I'm OLDER than you  :eek

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »
I think you would like the Heavenly album, especially being a Serenity fan. Just check out the first track, Evil!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
I think you would like the Heavenly album, especially being a Serenity fan. Just check out the first track, Evil!

Oh, I already have that one, I meant Heavy Pettin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
Oh OK, I would put that one right between High n Dry and Pyromania. Victims Of The Night :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »
We are the same age- and seems like similar taste too.

A great start- I'm a fan of all of those except the Heavenly which I haven't heard (but will youtube later), Heavy Pettin' who were total shite (imho of course) and the Zep.

Definitely following.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
As a big time Priest fan, I'd put SFV at the bottom of the top tier albums.  Probably third.  But you're right about Hellion.  One of the best intros to a metal album you'll ever hear. 

Depending on my mood, Fair Warning probably tops my Van Halen list.  Aside from WACF, there's nothing really close, IMO.  I decided a while back that Mean Street is probably Van Halen's masterpiece.  Everything about it perfectly defines Van Halen.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »
Yes, I love WACF. Definitely my two fave VH albums.
Bart, what Priest would you rank above SFV?

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
Great list so far. If 2112 is an honorable mention, I sure hope some other Rush albums will appear later on. I personally think Fair Warning is the worst DLR album, maybe besides Diver Down, but eh. Good choices with Judas Priest and Led Zeppelin though  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
Yes there will be more Rush!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
Yes there will be more Rush!

Always a good sentence!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
Dammit TAC.  I love Hellion/Electric Eye.  Such a great tune and album.

And that was a tough one leaving off Fair Waring.  It's my favorite VH album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
Like I said about the Scorps, 50 albums fills up fast. Tough leaving 2112 and Burn off I'll tell you that!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
For the longest time I had Sad Wings at the top of the list.  Recently, I think I've decided that Stained Class is the best thing they did. All the songs are good.  Several are spectacular.  Les Binks is Godlike.  Plus, the best songs from Sad Wings were actually much better live from Unleashed in the East. The live versions really knock the studio album down a couple of notches.  If I were to recommend starter albums, it'd be Stained Class and Unleashed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
Followed.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »
Good start.  Priest always wins, Heavenly are a great power metal band, that album in particular is excellent.  Never got into Blackfoot but from what I've heard they have a great sound.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »
For the longest time I had Sad Wings at the top of the list.  Recently, I think I've decided that Stained Class is the best thing they did. All the songs are good.  Several are spectacular.  Les Binks is Godlike.  Plus, the best songs from Sad Wings were actually much better live from Unleashed in the East. The live versions really knock the studio album down a couple of notches.  If I were to recommend starter albums, it'd be Stained Class and Unleashed.

Judas Priest appeared in my top 50 twice - #50 was Stained Class and #31 was Sad Wings of Destiny......I go back and forth on those two, but I prefer the more progressive stuff on Sad Wings and I totally agree about Unleashed in the East.  It's one of the best "live" albums ever recorded.