Author Topic: Man shoots himself in the head on live TV (Fox News)  (Read 3323 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Man shoots himself in the head on live TV (Fox News)
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:17 AM »
Oh, I see.

Well, hopefully when they run footage of a moron killing himself, there will be an actual comparison.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
To be fair, that could have (and almost certainly has) happened on all the networks.  High speed chases and other developing situations are shown live all the time.  I have a hard time believing that CNN, MSNBC, and most of the local stations wouldn't have cut in to show the chase.  The only issue is that they bungled the 5 second delay, and that also happens to all networks from time to time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »
I  just watched this, and it really makes me feel weird.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
I  just watched this, and it really makes me feel weird.

Don't watch the Budd Dwyer video then.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
The thing that makes the Budd video bad is the amount of blood that pours out of his nose. It's absolutely insane
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
Yeah, I watched that probably 3 or 4 years ago, but that image is still burned in my brain.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »
What amazes me about the Dwyer video is that the camera guy/gal actually had the balls to continue filming - and zoomed in and focused on his bleeding face. What must have been going through his/her mind?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
What amazes me about the Dwyer video is that the camera guy/gal actually had the balls to continue filming - and zoomed in and focused on his bleeding face. What must have been going through his/her mind?
That shocked me too. Most of the time the camera people look away out of decency (or whatever, I don't know why they actually do that).

I don't know what goes through your mind when you see something like that happen, but my first thought was "holy mother of fuckballs." Granted, I even knew it was going to happen.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
because MSNBC is such a classy news organization, this could have never happened on that network.
Not sure what the point of the dig is.  Since Fox is the only network with the real propensity for cutting in on accidents-waiting-to-happen, you could have put ANY other network in your post.

Because the second someone says "Fox News" and associates anything even remotely questionable with it, there will always be someone to come out and say "Yeah, but MSNBC!!!!!!  GAAAAAAHHHH!!!!"
Well, if you guys weren't the land of the liberal you might know how the other side feels with the bashing of Fox at every turn.
Whatever. Enjoy yourselves.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:19:09 PM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
Fox gets bashed when they do something Foxish.  Not sure where the random rage is coming from.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »
Well, if you guys weren't the land of the liberal you might know how the other side feels with the bashing of Fox at every turn.

I'm sorry that you feel personally offended when people bash Fox, but they completely deserve it.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »
Fox gets bashed when they do something Foxish.  Not sure where the random rage is coming from.
You call it rage. I call it rashonal. Rip about the joke that is MSNBC if you want to be "fair and balanced". They are a bigger joke, but oh...your liberal so you don't quite get that do you?
If you refuse to see the ridiculous bias from the left you are in your own  fantasy land. You are being bias and not objective at all. That's what you seek is it not? Fair reporting? That is the stark reality as I see it. We are see through our own lenses and its rarely clean and focused. It never is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
You call it rage. I call it rashonal.
Not even sure WTF you're talking about.

I call it rage because you are raging.  You posting like you are personally offended and pissed off. 

Rip about the joke that is MSNBC if you want to be "fair and balanced". They are a bigger joke, but oh...your liberal so you don't quite get that do you?
If they start fucking up on a regular basis like Fox does, I will.  But where the fuck is this coming from?  This isn't P/R and it isn't a political thread.

If you refuse to see the ridiculous bias from the left you are in your own  fantasy land. You are being bias and not objective at all. That's what you seek is it not? Fair reporting? That is the stark reality as I see it. We are see through our own lenses and its rarely clean and focused. It never is.
Has anyone ever claimed that there is no liberal bias at MSNBC?  Not that I know of.  They just don't normally go to the lengths that Fox does for the furtherance of their bias.

Now before you blow another fucking gasket (and this goes for everyone), this thread is about this event and Fox's coverage of it.  It has nothing to do with politics.  There is a whole sub-forum for that.  Keep it there.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
Tick, it's like you zoned in on "Fox News" and just assumed people were bad mouthing it for some reason. I mean look at the point where you jumped into the thread, the topic wasn't even about Fox.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
Tick, you should check out the Election 2012 thread. We were just ripping on MSNBC yesterday.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »

I'm sorry that you feel personally offended when people bash Fox, but they completely deserve it.
This. It doesn't matter what their views are, they are a terrible station.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
You call it rage. I call it rashonal.
Not even sure WTF you're talking about.

I call it rage because you are raging.  You posting like you are personally offended and pissed off. 

Rip about the joke that is MSNBC if you want to be "fair and balanced". They are a bigger joke, but oh...your liberal so you don't quite get that do you?
If they start fucking up on a regular basis like Fox does, I will.  But where the fuck is this coming from?  This isn't P/R and it isn't a political thread.

Has anyone ever claimed that there is no liberal bias at MSNBC?  Not that I know of.  They just don't normally go to the lengths that Fox does for the furtherance of their bias.

Now before you blow another fucking gasket (and this goes for everyone), this thread is about this event and Fox's coverage of it.  It has nothing to do with politics.  There is a whole sub-forum for that.  Keep it there.
I love how you play the calm and cool card while claiming I'm blowing a gasket.  That seems to be you at the moment? Save me the condescending stuff huh Hef. Quite frankly I'm tired of you badgering me like your view is gospel and I'm some lunatic. We don't agree, yet you respond self righteously  and expect I should take it from you. Nope. MSNBC is every bit as ridiculous as you claim Fox to be. Just cause you think your right doesn't mean you is. You dig?
You blame me that this thread is going PR? What do you expect? Were not all liberal sheep following the herd dude.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »
I love how you play the calm and cool card while claiming I'm blowing a gasket. 
In all fairness, that comes across because I AM being calm and cool, and you ARE blowing a gasket.

Save me the condescending stuff huh Hef.
I'm not now nor have I been condescending toward you.

Quite frankly I'm tired of you badgering me like your view is gospel and I'm some lunatic. We don't agree, yet you respond self righteously  and expect I should take it from you. Nope. MSNBC is every bit as ridiculous as you claim Fox to be. Just cause you think your right doesn't mean you is. You dig?
What the hell are you talking about?

You blame me that this thread is going PR?
*Looks around*

Who the fuck else should I blame?

What do you expect? Were not all liberal sheep following the herd dude.
Following WHAT herd?  I'm just a mod trying to get people to follow the rules. 

Now stop steering this in a P/R direction, or take a vacation.  If you want to debate the political merits of news networks, by all means do so.  In P/R. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

So much so that it's now an adjective. :P

Sorry, I'll stop now.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I don't want to look it up or watch it. Can someone describe what this Dwyer video is all about?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
I don't want to look it up or watch it. Can someone describe what this Dwyer video is all about?
El Barto described the circumstances pretty well.  Dwyer held a press conference, then pulled out a revolver, aimed through the roof of his mouth, and pulled the trigger.  He collapses, and 10 gallons of blood pour out of his nose while the cameraman zooms in.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
Or if your question was about why he shot himself, from what I understand it can best be summed up as exposed in some shady business deals, and the ensuing meting out of justice totally ruined him.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
I just looked it up and was watching probably as you typed that. I replayed it probably a half dozen times. It made me sad more than anything. I wonder if he was still mentally processing anything after he hit the floor. It looked like his eyes were still open and then slowly shut.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2012, 10:48:34 PM »
Apparently he died instantly, but then again, you still have cognitive functions for 8 seconds after being beheaded
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »
The eight seconds after decapitation is how long it takes for the oxygenated blood to leave your head, during which time the brain is still pretty functional.  In Bud's case,  he caused enough tissue damage that it was probably pretty much lights out for him.  And while I do often feel sad for people who think they need to off themselves, there are also some whose suicides I find pretty reasonable, and his was one of them.  He made a rational decision and I don't think he had any regrets about it.

It occurs to me that people might just be watching 9 seconds of him shooting himself and slumping over.  If people are going to go out of their way to watch him die, I'd hope that they at least watch what he had to say before hand.  He spent a few minutes somewhat eloquently explaining himself before whipping out that ginormous ass gun, and I suspect the reason he chose to do it on camera was so that people would pay attention to his message.  If nothing else, you can read his final remarks at wikiP. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
His speech beforehand was pretty much hinting at suicide, because he talks about hoping his sacrifice isn't in vain. It's just so sudden and just so disturbing. Why was there so much blood though?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »
There was another paragraph of his prepared remarks which he didn't read where he makes it pretty clear what's coming up, and encourages people who don't want to see it to leave now.  It's also available at WikiP.  I suspect that after he handed out the envelopes and took out that big ass gun, the atmosphere changed enough that reading the rest of his notes wasn't really possible.  As I recall, some people approached him, and I think he expedited his departure at that point. 
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 11:33:46 PM »
Yup. It seemed like folks were about to stop him and had he been in custody it may have been much harder to pull off the suicide and he also may have reached a point where his pension was forfeited since it was only through an unusual loophole in the state of Pennsylvania's pension laws that his wasn't yet forfeited since the forfeiture wouldn't take place til he was either indicted or incarcerated (I forget which.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 04:32:37 AM »
My sincere apology for disrupting this thread. That is all.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »
For anyone interested, the Dwyer story (not the video, just his Wiki page) is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »
Yup. It seemed like folks were about to stop him and had he been in custody it may have been much harder to pull off the suicide and he also may have reached a point where his pension was forfeited since it was only through an unusual loophole in the state of Pennsylvania's pension laws that his wasn't yet forfeited since the forfeiture wouldn't take place til he was either indicted or incarcerated (I forget which.)
Sentenced, which is why it worked.  At the moment of his sentencing, he would have lost his job.  If I'm not mistaken, he was to be sentenced that day, which is why he called the press conference.  Everybody was expecting him to resign gracefully (which I would say that he did). 
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »
Didn't I just read recently that the guy who testified against him admitted later that he lied?    So it turns out that he was, in fact, innocent.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
Didn't I just read recently that the guy who testified against him admitted later that he lied?    So it turns out that he was, in fact, innocent.

Not necessarily; depends what he lied about. And obviously Dwyer himself seemed to feel some degree of guilt, otherwise he might've tried to clear his own name somehow.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
He bankrupted himself trying to clear his name.  Also, people who are guilty and fixing to die are much more likely to confess than proclaim their innocence. 
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »

Not necessarily; depends what he lied about. And obviously Dwyer himself seemed to feel some degree of guilt, otherwise he might've tried to clear his own name somehow.

My understanding was that the thing he lied about was *THE* key point that caused Bud's conviction...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude