Author Topic: Red Box  (Read 1809 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Red Box
« on: September 28, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
Initially, I thought Red Box was a pretty awesome idea.  We don't have Netflix, and we probably watch one movie a month or less, so it's not really worth it to get.  So Red Box, with both its cheap pricing and convenience (there's one in each of the two supermarkets closest to our house) seemed like a great idea.  The only problem is, their selection doesn't seem to make much sense to me.  I realize that they have to be somewhat limited because there is only such much available space in one of those boxes.  But they're new release inventory is a bit spotty, and once you get beyond their new releases, they really don't have anything I would ever want to watch.  And they are lacking on some things in their "older" movie selection that I would think would be incredibly popular.  For example, with the release of The Avengers on DVD and BR, I would think there would be a VERY high demand for all of the Marvel phase 1 movies.  But they don't have any of them, which makes no sense to me.

What do other people think of them?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Red Box
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
I think I'd have to agree on their selection of non-new release movies, but the boxes that are in our area (some within walking distance but most we have to drive to) have been really good about actually having the new releases on the same day.  You can always reserve copies online too.  Overall, we've been really pleased with Red Box so far.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Red Sox
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
What do other people think of them?

I'm just glad they finally broke the curse and won the World Series.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »
:icy:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
Red Box does seem tailored to a pretty narrow audience.  Isn't there some sort of pay-as-you-go plan from Netflix?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
I have enjoyed using Red Box several times. My wife and I generally don't plan in advance what we want to see, but every time we've wanted to rent a movie, we've found something we can both agree on getting (a feat in and of itself!) I also like how you can return to any Red Box, not just the one you got the disc from.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
I tried to use red box for the pre-Avengers movies, and they only had Iron Man 2 and Captain America. Generally, I find that redbox (and netflix's instant play) don't have the awesome movies that you're looking for, but they do have the second-rate ones. Not sure why that is. They'll also have incompleted trilogies/sequels (netlflix has Fellowship OTR but not the others). It sucks.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
Redbox is good for an occasional impulse-rent.  If I'm walking out of a store and I see the redbox thing and I think, "I'd like to watch a movie that I haven't seen before," I'll often scroll through it to see if there's anything I want.  It's not good for regular repeated uses.