Author Topic: Britain invented the space shuttle in the 1960s  (Read 2979 times)

Offline AndyDT

Britain invented the space shuttle in the 1960s
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:02:08 AM »

“We started by looking at things which were Concorde-ish in nature,” Smith recalled, “and went on from there to high speed aircraft which would travel at Mach 12 [12 times the speed of sound]... We gradually realised that we could go from air-breathers, which would stay in the earth’s atmosphere, into space.”

The design work for MUSTARD was completed in 1964 and 1965, and the following year, in a lecture to the Royal Aeronautical Society, Lord Caldecote, BAC’s deputy managing director and chairman of its guided weapons branch, described a fully recoverable multi-stage aerospace vehicle which could put Western Europe into the space age within 10 to 15 years.

The design was a three-stage reusable aircraft, consisting of three similar modules in the form of crewed, delta-winged vehicles which could be stacked together and launched as a single unit. Two of the units would act as boosters to launch the third into orbit, feeding any excess fuel to the unit which was to become the spacecraft, before separating and returning to earth as normal aircraft. After placing a payload weighing as much as 5,000lb into orbit, the third unit would return to earth in a similar fashion.

MUSTARD was regarded as a suitable project for joint development by European aerospace companies, with a cost estimated to be around “20 to 30 times cheaper” than that of the expendable rocket launch systems of the time. Unfortunately, as with so many other British inventions, the government of the day decided not to proceed. About three years after MUSTARD was cancelled, the Americans became interested in a reusable aircraft.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/technology-obituaries/9649596/Tom-Smith.html

Here's what Wikipedia says:

The project started life as the English Electric Mustard. For one year, collaborative work was done at Edwards Air Base. Once this collaborative work was over, three American prototype similar-looking aircraft apppeared at Edwards Air Base. The Space Shuttle would later have a comparative design, and function.

Sounds like the supersonic project all over again.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:07:26 AM by AndyDT »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Soon enough, he'll be saying Britain staged a moon landing before the US too.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:32:16 AM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Britain invented the space shuttle in the 1960s
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:20:10 AM »
Andy, i understand your frustration. It's hard to find a nice Christian girl to settle down with. You'll find one someday. But, you don't need to ask us to analyze each girl you date for you.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »
So it's y'alls fault, eh?  The space shuttle program was a dumb move for us.  We should have followed the Rooskies and gone with cheap single use rockets.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
Andy, i understand your frustration. It's hard to find a nice Christian girl to settle down with. You'll find one someday. But, you don't need to ask us to analyze each girl you date for you.

OMG :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »
What's Britain again? Is that where you have the layover on the way to the EU?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »

:lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
"We couldn't do the space race....We had no money. Rationing didn't stop till the year...umm...I still haven't even lived that long. We didn't have any money. You were getting space rockets tested- a cat, a dog, a fish, a  monkey up into space....We didn't have enough money to put a man in a tracksuit up a ladder!               

I would've been there - "Go, man!"

"I'm going, I'm going, 'ang on."                 

"Just hang on to the ladder!"                   

"Hello, Swindon... I am here. Swindon, can you hear me?"

"Swindon here. We're monitoring you on our instruments....."

"Swindon, I'm nearly at the moon. Actually, that's an understatement. Have you got a bit more ladder? We're not quite at the moon yet...but I can see right over
the top of the houses. Fantastic!""

~ Eddie Izzard.   :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »
So?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
"Its awesome!"

"What, like a hot dog?"

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »
"We couldn't do the space race....We had no money. Rationing didn't stop till the year...umm...I still haven't even lived that long. We didn't have any money. You were getting space rockets tested- a cat, a dog, a fish, a  monkey up into space....We didn't have enough money to put a man in a tracksuit up a ladder!               

"Swindon here. We're monitoring you on our instruments....."

"Swindon, I'm nearly at the moon. Actually, that's an understatement. Have you got a bit more ladder? We're not quite at the moon yet...but I can see right over

:rollin
 :heart Eddie Izzard :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »

"Swindon here. We're monitoring you on our instruments; we have you on a tuba."

FTFY ;)

I love that show. I haven't seen all of them, but I think that's his best.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:07:40 AM »
Hasn't he already made a thread on this exact subject?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
What's Britain again? Is that where you have the layover on the way to the EU?
No, it's where the cider is at.

So it's y'alls fault, eh?  The space shuttle program was a dumb move for us.  We should have followed the Rooskies and gone with cheap single use rockets.

Its not for a lack of trying the Ruskies didnt have their own shuttle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_%28spacecraft%29
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman