Author Topic: Hopped on Pop: A Pop Culture and Entertainment Blog  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Hopped on Pop: A Pop Culture and Entertainment Blog
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
I figured I might as well do this since Chris has a thread dedicated to his webcomic and I hate to hijack everyone's threads just for shameless self-promotion. Check back later for the full spiel, but here's this week's post: https://thegreenthbeatle.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/what-time-is-it/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:27:11 AM by Super Dude »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Super Dude's postwhorish blog thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »
I have a thread dedicated to my band. You can post in there if you want. You may have heard of us.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
I've not really watched much Adventure Time - though the pilot got passed around my friendship group a lot when I was in sixth form - but that was a cracking little blog post. Loved it. It's very rare that an article makes me want to go off and watch a show. I couldn't tell you how much spaffy gush I've read about Firefly, the Wire, Fringe, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Game of Thrones, etc., and I've still never been even slightly tempted to watch any of it. Right now, though, I think Adventure Time sounds wonderful. Give me a box set and I'd put it on in a flash. Superb. Great stuff.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »
I've not really watched much Adventure Time - though the pilot got passed around my friendship group a lot when I was in sixth form - but that was a cracking little blog post. Loved it. It's very rare that an article makes me want to go off and watch a show. I couldn't tell you how much spaffy gush I've read about Firefly, the Wire, Fringe, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Game of Thrones, etc., and I've still never been even slightly tempted to watch any of it. Right now, though, I think Adventure Time sounds wonderful. Give me a box set and I'd put it on in a flash. Superb. Great stuff.

Thank you, I'm very pleased to hear that! :laugh:

Yeah, I agree that nobody wants to hear someone simply gush over anything for several pages. Whenever I'm writing about a topic for the week I make sure to do my homework, so then I can hone in on one or two aspects of the media item in question, something that is worth discussing that particular release or franchise for.

Anywho, now that I'm comfortably at home with a computer I can actually type on, here's the previously mentioned spiel:

This is my blog, Hopped on Pop. It was originally going to be a normal weekly blog with all sorts of whiny personal shit but I decided reviewing, critiquing, analyzing, and over-analyzing books, movies, TV shows, videogames, etc. would be a lot more fun for me and for you. I put up posts every week at midnight on Friday (so Thursday night/Friday morning), and once in a while I'll put out an extra "talking shop" or brief "promo" on the weekend or Hump Day whenever I feel it's necessary. Feel free to comment, follow, or whatever you want, I love any and all feedback (except for trolling, I eat trolls for breakfast). I also like to use pretty pictures so if you all have some I'd love to post them, with your permission. Can't think of anything else to say at the moment except I hope you all enjoy it!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:46:47 PM by Super Dude »

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: Hopped on Pop: Super Dude's postwhorish blog thread
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »
It's a fun read, but sadly, it's only a fun read when I know something about the subject matter.  I really enjoyed your posts about Linkin Park and The Dark Knight Rises.  And I didn't read your Spider-man one because I'm waiting until I see the movie first. 

So I'll keep checking back, especially since you have such an easy link in your sig.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »
It's a fun read, but sadly, it's only a fun read when I know something about the subject matter.  I really enjoyed your posts about Linkin Park and The Dark Knight Rises.  And I didn't read your Spider-man one because I'm waiting until I see the movie first. 

So I'll keep checking back, especially since you have such an easy link in your sig.

If you don't mind me asking, I'd like to know where you think the drawback is and how I can improve upon that. People have told me previously that this hasn't been an issue, but I want to make my entries as accessible as possible, up to and including for people who've never watched/play/read the subject in question. So if there's a need for further introduction or something, please let me know.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
I didn't mean that to sound like it was something you're doing wrong.

It's just that some posts really interest me and some don't.  I don't really care about Adventure Time, but I read about half of it before I decided that I wasn't interested.  If you had a blog about board games, I'd love to read what you have to say about Settlers of Catan and Dominion, but I wouldn't bother to read much about Monopoly unless you happened to have some fascinating take on it that makes it super-interesting (although I'm not sure anybody could pull that off...Monopoly is boring). 

I just meant to say that I enjoy the writing and the perspectives that you have on things that I'm also interested in...but when your subject matter isn't something I'm interested in, I don't really care.  It's not that you're blogging wrong. 

Although if you really want to improve, you should just write about only the things that I find interesting!  I'll email you a list of approved topics. :P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
Oh, okay. :lol Don't feel shy though (and that goes for everyone); don't hold back your criticisms, I only ask they're constructive.

And I would love idea suggestions; I need more blog topics.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
Oh, okay. :lol Don't feel shy though (and that goes for everyone); don't hold back your criticisms, I only ask they're constructive.

And I would love idea suggestions; I need more blog topics.

In my own blogging efforts, I've noticed that starting a series can be a good idea. 

For example, you could just start reviewing every movie that won a Best Picture Academy Award.  This would give you a huge supply of topics (as well as a topic to fall back on whenever you're out of ideas), and it also can help keep your audience a little more engaged.

Uh, maybe that's a bad example, though, because you'd have to watch a buttload of movies.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »
Thanks, maybe I'll hold onto that one for a rainy day.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »
I haven't seen Adventure Time but I have seen the pilot and didn't think it was funny at all.  I thought it was extremely weird and unfunny.  This is coming from someone who grew up watching Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy (I remember when Nicktoons STARTED, it was Doug, Rugrats, and Ren and Stimpy), so i think my standards are set very high when it comes to animated TV.  I mean stuff like Spongebob is OK, but nowhere near as good as Ren and Stimpy... Spongebob was definitely influenced by Ren and Stimpy though, you can totally tell.  But for a long time I was like it was a Ren and Stimpy wannabe who ruined Nicktoons.  Anyways enough train of thought posting. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
I do agree, I'm not so crazy about the pilot myself. Heck, I thought the show only really started getting good the last couple seasons. What Was Missing and Memory of a Memory are both a great place to start.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
I still haven't beaten the NES game. 

What I want to do is like when I beat SMB 3 on my webcam, only have a big group (like on ooVoo) or something and have people help me beat it from the very beginning... and find all the hidden stuff, becuase I KNOW that there are people on here who know the game inside and out.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »
I could probably help you with that. I 100%'d the original.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »
I could probably help you with that. I 100%'d the original.

Cool.  I'll post when I do it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
I couldn't tell you how much spaffy gush I've read about Firefly, the Wire, Fringe, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Game of Thrones, etc., and I've still never been even slightly tempted to watch any of it.

This sentence is a perfect example of why British people have it better than Americans.  I don't know what it is about the way you guys talk, but you get way more room to play with the language and really maximize the quality of the words.

If I ever said the words "spaffy gush," it would sound like I was talking about beating off.  And it isn't fair.

Hrmph!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
I couldn't tell you how much spaffy gush I've read about Firefly, the Wire, Fringe, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Game of Thrones, etc., and I've still never been even slightly tempted to watch any of it.

This sentence is a perfect example of why British people have it better than Americans.  I don't know what it is about the way you guys talk, but you get way more room to play with the language and really maximize the quality of the words.

If I ever said the words "spaffy gush," it would sound like I was talking about beating off.  And it isn't fair.

Hrmph!

See: Any post by El Barto.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:05 PM »

:rollin :rollin
You need to be careful not to spaffy gush all over the keyboard. ---> It does sound right heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline robwebster

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »

Hrmph!
Hahaha - yeah, we've got it pretty good. :hat Although I think my favourite thing about this is that I apparently type with an accent. Who types with an accent?!

This week: https://thegreenthbeatle.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/whoops-missed-my-deadline/

Sorry guys.
YOU HAVE RUINED MY EVENING.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Hopped on Pop: A Pop Culture and Entertainment Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
I SAID I WAS SORRY!!! :( :( :(

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »
Good blog, yo.  Bookmark'd.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »
Thank you very much! :D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 05:20:31 AM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
@ Those who've bookmarked Hopped on Pop (which, AFAIK, is just you SDN :P), apparently my changing the URL to hoppedonpop.wordpress.com means the link you have is essentially dead. Sorry, I honestly thought there'd be some redirect mechanism built-in or something. It's now as shown above.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
Just saw this thread. You're an interesting writer on DTF (and that other blasted internet community that's full of 12 year olds). So this is going on the list.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
Thank you! :D