Author Topic: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Honourable Mentions, I AM THE LAAAAAAAAAAST!  (Read 45570 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Opposite Ends of the Spectrum
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
Lowdz, did you get my PM?

I did. I've got that album. He's good. I'm not too int the modern metal guitar sound- that downtuned or 7 string sound, but J5 is good no doubt.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Animal Noises
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
Time for an update before I go to bed! Somehow, these write-ups get lengthier and lengthier as we progress, I hope you don't mind. Tell me if no-one bother to read them anymore, then I'll reign myself in.

36. Pink Floyd – Animals (1977)

Animals – what can I say about this album that hasn’t been said already? Next to Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, this album is often cited as Pink Floyd’s greatest achievement, and it is easy to see why. This album contains three longtracks, bookended by a short acoustic piece split into two parts. The songs themselves deal with humanity and its structural concept as presented by George Orwell in Animal Farm – Pigs, Dogs and Sheep, representing the greedy and gluttonous leaders of society, the hardworking and goal-oriented people that seek to maximise their own gain at whatever cost, and the mindless followers that do as they are told.

This seems like an ambitious concept at first glance, and while it really is nothing but simple, Pink Floyd (mainly in form of Roger Waters as the main songwriter, who, despite of how much of a dick he was as a person during the later years, was a musical genius in his own right) somehow manage to make it work, creating a dark and gloomy album about the faults of humanity, yet somehow still interjected with a little hopefulness, found primarily in Pigs on the Wing (both parts), which offer the only reprieve from the gloomy mood of the album.

Animals is, of the Pink Floyd albums that I know (which are all from Atom Heart Mother to The Division Bell, excluding The Final Cut), the album that took the longest to click for me, but when it did, I was rewarded with a listening experience that really is second to none.

A word to the performance: as usual, the members of Pink Floyd show that they are undoubtedly a very talented bunch, even if they don’t fly up and down their instruments at blistering speeds, but the real star of the album, even though it is, when boiled down, ultimately a creation of Roger Waters, is David Gilmour, who delivers some of his most memorable playing of his whole career on this album. The main example for this is Dogs, which features plenty of perfectly crafted leads and a very innovative use of the voice box, which Gilmour manages to use in a way that actually enhances the song, without sounding gimmicky or stupid.

All in all, this album is truly fantastic, though it is also a lot to digest. If it doesn’t click immediately for you, don’t give up, because when it does, the end result is well worth it.

Recommended tracks: Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones), Sheep

35. die ärzte – Geräusch (2003)

And here we have arrived at the first album of die ärzte on this list, one of my all-time favourite bands and also one of the first bands that I listened to at all. They are also the band that I have seen most often live, that I have the most albums and that I have, if last.fm is to be believed, most often.

die ärzte play a very distinguished version of rock, though you would be hard-pressed in trying to actually shoehorn them into one genre alone, because from their debut album on, they have always loved to experiment and to enrich the songs with elements utterly alien to the genre of rock in normal cases, such as rap, metal, country, ska and many more.

Geräusch, released in 2003, is a rather special album, even in the extensive discography of the band, mainly because it is a double album, featuring twenty-six tracks (twenty-seven if you count the hidden track on CD 1), which, once again while rooted in rock somewhat, span a variety of genres and themes.

I have not mentioned it before, but one of the things that makes the music that die ärzte do work and not simply seem over the place or pretentious is the fact that the band take themselves about as unserious as I could imagine for a band that still manages to live on their income, and they have a rather unique sense of humour that is, in one way or another, imbued into nearly every song that they have recorded. This sense of humour is even more prevalent live, where the lyrics of songs are often spontaneously altered, the result making no sense whatsoever (indeed, one of their songs, Rock Rendezvous has never been performed with its original text).

On this album, die ärzte have managed to balance this humour with a little more seriousness, which allows them to also tackle political and social issues without coming across as people that have no idea what the hell they are actually talking about – and this is exactly what makes Geräusch such a great album. Simply every aspect of the music of die ärzte is present, be it the wildly humorous and at times even nonsensical (Als ich den Punk erfand, Jag Älskjar Sverige!, Pro-Zombie), simple rock songs about day-to-day occurrences (Anders als beim letzten Mal, T-Error, Nichts in der Welt) or songs that deal with more serious issues (Geisterhaus, Nicht allein, Der Grund, Nichtwissen).

This diversity is not only present in the lyrical themes, but also in the music, with everything from straight-out rockers skidding on the edge to metal (Geisterhaus, Der Grund, Die Nacht) over the anthemic and grandiose Nicht allein to songs with ska and jazz influences (Jag Älskjar Sverige!, Als ich den Punk erfand) and even piano ballads (WAMMW), everything is present on the CD. Every member has also penned several of the twenty-seven songs that can be found here, which further heightens the diversity.

Yet, despite all the diversity of this album, die ärzte manage to somehow still make this record feel cohesive instead of a random assembly of tracks, and that is maybe the greatest achievement of this album. No, the end result is not greater than the sum of the tracks, but it is also nothing less, and that is something that is a thing to behold in itself when talking about an album with twenty-seven tracks.

Recommended tracks: Nicht allein, Geisterhaus, Jag Älskjar Sverige!, Schneller leben, Unrockbar, Deine Schuld, Nichts in der Welt, Pro-Zombie, Nichtwissen

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
die ärzte sind Prima!  Ich finde sie sehr komisch. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »

:lol I had no idea that anyone aside from Mladen and me even knew them! How did you find out about them?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
Animals is an awesome disc; my favorite from PF. Great choice. Not even the foggiest idea who die arzte are

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Just read through the thread and caught up, some good picks so far :tup

Have to disagree with Animals, it's a good album but it falls somewhere in the middle of PF album rankings, I will agree that Gilmour has some great moments on that album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
Animals is an awesome disc; my 2nd favorite from PF. Great choice. Not even the foggiest idea who die arzte are
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2012, 07:17:37 PM »

:lol I had no idea that anyone aside from Mladen and me even knew them! How did you find out about them?

You come across the most fascinating things on TVTropes

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
Animals  :heart

I'm glad I heard that album when I did, it was the perfect time, and it was love at first listen. Favorite Floyd album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »

This. Such a fantastic album
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »

Second Favorite Floyd album.

Awesome pick. I almost love you :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ruba

Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Opposite Ends of the Spectrum
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »
Reise, Reise  :tup. Dalai-lama is indeed awesome, and I found it even more awesome, when I found that it was inspired by Schubert's Erlkönig.

That is pretty awesome indeed, especially considering how boring the original poem is and what Rammstein made from it. Der Erlkönig is by Goethe, however - Schubert only a wrote a song based on that poem later.

Ach ja! Es ist ein Lied, oder was?

Nein, nicht Glied...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2012, 01:31:20 AM »
Stimmt.  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2012, 02:04:16 AM »

I'm glad I heard that album when I did, it was the perfect time, and it was love at first listen. Favorite Floyd album.

Completely agreed.  LOVE Animals :heart

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2012, 04:36:32 AM »
Very interesting list so far  :hat

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. On the guitar..... Mr. Kai Hansen!
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2012, 05:00:17 AM »
Thanks Barry! I really liked your list as well and it introduced me to quite some new stuff, has anything off mine tickled your fancy yet?

Also, an update.

34. Gamma Ray – Land of the Free II (2007)

Most people regard either this album’s namesake Land of the Free, or Power Plant as Gamma Ray’s finest effort, but I have to disagree, because while the first has some of the best Gamma Ray songs, yet also some of the worst, whereas Power Plant is very consistent throughout, yet offers no real standout tracks either, save maybe for Armageddon.

Land of the Free II is, however, both consistent and consistently good, which is what puts it above the other two albums in my book, and while it doesn’t quite reach the heights of Rebellion in Dreamland, there is not a bad track to be found on this CD, making it a very enjoyable listening experience.

For those that don’t know Gamma Ray, they emerged from the German power metal band Helloween when creative mind and guitarist Kai Hansen left Helloween, and they have since then been dwarfing Helloween’s later output left and right (save for To the Metal!, which doesn’t hold a candle to 7 Sinners). The styles of the two bands are rather similar, both rooted strongly in power metal, but what really sets them apart is the masterful song writing of Kai Hansen, something that the boys from Helloween just don’t have in the same amount as their colleagues do.
As with most power metal albums, the guitars are the central pieces here, though drummer Dan Zimmerman and bassist Dirk Schlächter have their moments as well – however, what Kai Hansen and his fellow guitarist Henjo Richter do on this album takes place on a whole different level. They may not be the most technically proficient guitarists to have ever existed, but they certainly are no slouches and they always seem to know when to use their chops in which way to maximally enhance the songs.

The production of the album is pretty great to, though it is pretty crappy on To Mother Earth, something I could never figure out why, which is kind of a shame, because that ruins the song a little for me, though I don’t skip it when it comes up and I enjoy it when it does, but it could have been a lot better.

Recommended tracks: From the Ashes, Rain, Empress, When the World, Insurrection

33. Helloween – Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1 (1987)

As I said for the last album already, Gamma Ray’s recent output is miles better than Helloween’s recent output, but despite that, the best album that Kai Hansen has ever been on and the best album that was released between the two bands is only Helloween’s second album, an album that was recorded before Gamma Ray even came into existence – Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part 1.

Now, before I commence blowing my load all over this album, I will at first mention the only negative aspect of this album, so that’s out of the way: the production.  Granted, this is 1987, so I’m not expecting any sonic masterpieces, but even in context of that, the production leaves a lot to be desired, and I know plenty of albums that were released during that time or earlier that have a much better sound. I have to concede that it is probably not Helloween’s fault – after all, the possibilities that a band that had just entered the scene had, especially back then, can’t be compared to those that bands had during the eighties that had already been successful in the seventies or sixties, but it still irks me a bit.

However, despite the flimsiness of the production, this album is all kinds of awesome in pretty much every other aspect that counts for something. The energy of the debut album is still there, but it is now much more refined and has matured a little, though a lot of that probably also has to do with the new singer of the band, Michael Kiske.

Kiske is heralded as one of the best voices in power metal and this album was truly recorded during the peak of his career – the energy and power behind his voice are astounding and so much of a better fit for Helloween than both Hansen’s voice before and Deris’ voice afterwards were and would be. The other members of the band are at the top of their game as well, with both Hansen and Weikath showing that they truly know what they are doing, despite their young ages (Hansen was 24 when this record came out), both in terms of performance and of song writing. I am not as big a fan of Weikath’s song writing as I am of Hansen’s, but the one song that he penned for this album, A Tale That Wasn’t Right, is one of his best, whereas Hansen, who would later mature even more during his time with Gamma Ray already shows his budding song writer talents on this album, with more than half of the album being works of his.

Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1 also contains my favourite Helloween song and one of my favourite metal songs of all time: Helloween’s first and nearly-eponymous epic Halloween, which is a masterful 13-minute journey of aggressive and relentless riffs, acoustic interludes, blazing leads and vocals that are out of this world. The first time that I heard this song, I was left speechless, and even now I find something new and exciting on every listen. Alone this song makes the album worth buying.

Also, awesome cover. 'Nuff said.

Recommended tracks: Twilight of the Gods, A Tale That Wasn’t Right, Future World, Halloween

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2012, 05:36:19 AM »
I guess I'll need to listen to both.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2012, 05:38:36 AM »
I guess I'll need to listen to both.

You don't know them? :omg:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2012, 05:58:38 AM »
Only by name. I've heard of Kai Hansen though :P
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2012, 06:07:44 AM »
Keeper Pt One was absolutely one of the most game changing albums in my life.

I do like Gamma Ray, too, but I find it hard to pick a fave.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2012, 06:32:16 AM »
Both good power metal albums. But you are wrong, Powerplant is in fact GR's best album  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2012, 06:46:18 AM »
Helloween
The Living Room
Providence, RI
September 24, 1987

I will never forget the day I met Michael Kiske. Almost exactly 25 years ago! We were both 19 in that picture.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2012, 06:47:09 AM »
Sweet! Did they put on a good show?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2012, 07:06:07 AM »
Can't go wrong with either Keeper album! Both classics. And cool pics TAC!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2012, 07:10:56 AM »
Two great power metal albums  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
Like both of those albums but only heard them this year having ignored them for years. I do find them a little bit too "happy" sounding for metal to truly love them, and I'm not a huge fan of Kiske's voice either. He's certainly not bad, though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »

:lol I had no idea that anyone aside from Mladen and me even knew them!

Ähh, was meinst du denn wo ich und Ichbinbesser her kommen? :) Wird wohl kaum einen Deutschen geben der die Ärzte nicht kennt.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2012, 02:19:41 AM »

:lol I had no idea that anyone aside from Mladen and me even knew them!

Ähh, was meinst du denn wo ich und Ichbinbesser her kommen? :) Wird wohl kaum einen Deutschen geben der die Ärzte nicht kennt.

Stimmt. Lass es mich anders ausdrücken: ich wusste nicht, dass irgendjemand außer mir und Mladen sie gut findet.

Besser so?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Lots of Death Around Here
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2012, 02:54:05 AM »
32. Buckethead – Colma (1998)

This is a rather recent discovery for me, and I have to thank UMH and Lat for it. While browsing the review section, I stumbled across UMH’s review project of Buckethead, where he gave Colma a 5/5 – however, for some reason, I didn’t really check it out, mainly because what I already knew from Buckethead hadn’t really given me the incentive to do so, and I was busy checking out other stuff then. A little while later, though, I was reading lat’s Top 50, which mentioned Buckethead’s Population Override. Upon reading the description, I was reminded of Colma, because both of them are the most laid-back albums that Buckethead has done, and because I didn’t have a lot of other stuff on my check-out plate at that moment, I decided to try out Population Override. The problem was that it wasn’t on Spotify, but Colma was, so I listened to that instead.

As you have probably guessed from the high spot that this album has on my list, it completely blew me away. It was so different from the other Buckethead stuff that I had already heard (like 20th Century Boy, which is basically just some mindless shredding thrown into an already existing pop song), and it was so much better. I have never heard an instrumental album that has managed to convey emotions in the same way that this album does, especially in For Mom, Hilly of Eternity or Ghost.

Buckethead also shows his maturity as a composer in comparison to his earlier stuff, writing tasteful arrangements and in many cases forgoing shredding in favour for more simple and melodic pieces. Sure, there is still shredding present, but it never goes overboard or becomes unnecessary and a chore to listen to.

I’m not really all that big on instrumental music, and I have few pure instrumental albums, so giving this album the title “best instrumental album that I own” might seem like a rather insignificant accomplishment, but this album is really a great album in its own right as well, and I have as of yet not found anyone who dislikes this album.

Recommended tracks: Whitewash, For Mom, Hills of Eternity, Machete, Ghost, Colma

31. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Murder Ballads (1996)

Nick Cave, for those of you that don’t know him, is an Australian singer and songwriter who formed Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in 1983. They have gathered a lot of critical acclaim over the years and they have also released a lot of stellar music, peaking with Murder Ballads in 1996.

The album is based on a very dark concept – each song deals with murder in different ways, some through the eyes of the killer, some through the eyes of the victim or told by bystanders, some explicit, some rather implied. The variety can be attributed to the music, which, even though it explores many different sounds, from ballads to groovy slow rock songs, from blues-inspired pieces to aggressive and over-the-place songs, all the while still retaining a very cohesive and ultimately, a very dark feel.

The performance is very good, with Nick Cave’s voice making the whole thing a rather unique affair, just as his lyrics do. The album is also rich with guests, which are all big names in certain circles themselves, such as PJ Harvey, who sings in duet with Cave on Henry Lee, Kylie Minogue who does the same thing on Where the Wild Roses Grow and various others. This is probably both attributed to Cave’s talents as a song writer and the picks that he used for his choices as guests, but they always seem to add something to the song, never being there just for the sake of it.

The only reprieve that this album offers from the its gloom mood is the album closer, which is actually a Bob Dylan cover, Death Is Not the End, which manages to interject a small measure of hope into the otherwise so dark and brooding songs that closes the album on a welcome note. And while many will surely consider this to be blasphemous, I actually prefer this version to Dylan’s original recording.

All in all, if you’re a fan of dark and brooding music, coupled with rather morbid, but not necessarily gory or in-your-face lyrics, you might want to check this one out. Not everyone likes Nick Cave’s voice, but it lends a unique timbre to the album and I wouldn’t want to have it any other way.

Recommended tracks: Stagger Lee, Henry Lee, Where the Wild Roses Grow, The Curse of Millhaven, The Kindness of Strangers, Death Is Not the End

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:02:32 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2012, 03:12:02 AM »
Love Colma, and I got into it the same way you did in UMH's Buckethead reviews. I wrote him off from the image and hearing the track he did on the Last Action Hero soundtrack. He's the real deal though. Great musician- though his more surreal/weird stuff does nothing for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2012, 05:54:30 AM »
Nick Cave is pretty popular here, although I respect his work but never really got into his music.

Great choice with Keepers and LOTF2 is the third best Gamma Ray album, simply incredible, good pick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Mladen

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
Animals and Keeper 1 are two of my favorite albums of all time, both in the top 10 for me.  :tup

I've never heard the entire Geräusch, although I've always loved the singles that were spinning on MTV and Viva Plus back in the day, those are the songs that actually got me into them. In fact, I listened to Nichts in der Welt and Unrockbar two days ago and I still think they're awesome.  :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Courtesy of DTF
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
I've never heard the entire Geräusch, although I've always loved the singles that were spinning on MTV and Viva Plus back in the day, those are the songs that actually got me into them. In fact, I listened to Nichts in der Welt and Unrockbar two days ago and I still think they're awesome.  :metal

Three words: do it now.

30. Myrath – Desert Call (2010)

This is another pick that I discovered rather recently, and I have to thank my bro Elite for this one. He mentioned it in his Top 50, and while it didn’t get a particularly high placement, the description intrigued me enough to check out the band, which resulted in me getting both this album and Tales of the Sands. Tales of the Sands impressed me very much, whereas Desert Call didn’t leave that much of an impression upon me, but it with every listen it climbed and after only two weeks (of admittedly listening to pretty much only Myrath), it had surpassed Tales of the Sands as my favourite album by these talented Tunisian musicians.

Myrath are, at the core, a progressive metal band, yet they have been, since their first album, mixing progressive metal with elements of traditional Arabian music, and this blend not only succeeds in making their music unique and memorable, but it works pretty damn well in context with the songs as well – they always feel like a natural part of the song, instead of simply being slapped upon the finished product as I had initially feared, after having heard many bands fail at such a style merge.

What gives this album the edge over Tales of the Sands is the song writing – the musicianship is stellar on both albums, as is the merging of the Arabian elements with the music, but on Desert Call, the music with which they are merged is far more consistent, if that makes any sense. One thing I especially like is the creativity that can be found in the bass line, which deviates from the standard playing of the root note in a certain rhythm and the switching quite a bit – fortunately, the bass is also audible enough to actually make this out.

The only thing that I would like to change about this album, actually, is the production. It isn’t really bad by any means, but since I was listening to this album while alternating it with Tales of the Sands, I couldn’t help but notice that the latter, even though Desert Call is musically stronger, has a much clearer and crisper production than Desert Call, which is something that I think the album would have benefited further from.

Recommended tracks: Forever and a Day, Desert Call, Madness, Silent Cries, Memories, Empty World

29. Marillion – Clutching at Straws (1987)

Another DTF-inspired pick, the thanks go out to lonestar this time, who introduced me to this album in a way – I had actually heard it once, a long time ago, but because he spoke so highly of this album, I was inclined to revisit the record and it blew me away on a level that it didn’t on my first listen in any way.

As probably most of you know, this album is the last album that singer and lyrical genius Fish recorded with the band. Tensions had already begun to mount within in the band and all of this frustration is poured into this record, both in lyrics and song writing, creating an emotional experience that few albums can match in any way.

This album isn’t really a concept album in the way that it tells a cohesive story, but loss, alcoholism, grief and guilt are themes that are prevalent all through the album, with two exceptions which lose some of the personal scope (White Russian and Incommunicado), yet remain emotional and heartfelt all the same.

The album starts out really high, with the trilogy of Hotel Hobbies / Warm Wet Circles / That Time of the Night (The Short Straw) being great songs and even greater in their cohesiveness, but this is but a taste of what the album has to offer. It actually seems that as this record goes on, with the exception of Incommunicado, which, while catchy and not a bad song by any means, certainly does break the flow of the album, each song is better than the song preceding it – which, considering how touching and heartfelt the introductory trilogy was, is really something to behold. Especially the last four songs, which return to the album’s concept after the aforementioned brief reprieve, are easily the high points of the album, both musically and lyrically, with Sugar Mice (“So if you want my address, it’s number one at the end of the bar / where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing our scars”) and The Last Straw (“And if you ever come across us, don't give us your sympathy / You can buy us a drink and just shake our hands / And you'll recognize by the reflection in our eyes / That deep down inside, we're all one and the same”) featuring some of the best lyrics that I have ever heard.

Recommended tracks: White Russian, Torch Song, Slainte Mhath, Sugar Mice, The Last Straw

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
“And if you ever come across us, don't give us your sympathy / You can buy us a drink and just shake our hands / And you'll recognize by the reflection in our eyes / That deep down inside, we're all one and the same”

As I said in my review of this album, this is also one of my favorite lines of all time as well. And it's not just the lyric, but the fantastic delivery of it both by Fish and the music surrounding.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »
Desert Call!! :tup :heart

I have yet to get round to listening to Clutching at Straws. Still on my to do list.
Squ