Author Topic: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Honourable Mentions, I AM THE LAAAAAAAAAAST!  (Read 45693 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Dark Stuff Incoming
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »
You seem rather negative in your review for a list that should contain your 50 favourite albums :lol

Where? :huh: I have nothing but praise for the last two albums.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
I'm with Elite here. You do praise the albums but there are a couple of negative comments there that one would not expect in a top 50
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 08:54:30 AM »
I'm with Elite here. You do praise the albums but there are a couple of negative comments there that one would not expect in a top 50

Just because I love albums doesn't mean (at least for me) that they couldn't be better, you know?

Also, I don't really think that I was being overtly critical here. Maybe that's just me. :lol
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:20:23 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »
I've heard the Green Carnation when it' s been recommended in other threads- it's certainly dark and whilst I enjoyed it I don't know when I'd ever be in the mood to listen to it.

I like Stratovarius but only have The best of, Infinite and Elysium. Shame that Timmo has his demons- it's held him  back in recent times.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »
Nothing wrong with being critical, especially since at your age still drawing from a smaller pool than some of us.  Even if you are jacking albums left and right, you still have to listen to them.

I don't think that Stratovarius album would be in my top 5 Stratovarius albums.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »
Following. Not lots of stuff that I know so far, so I'll have to check some of it out.  :tup
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 08:36:36 PM »
Temple of Hate is an awesome fucking album. As for Strato, definitely nice seeing them in the thread, but that album should not be the one that gets them on a list.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. When Metal and Pop-Punk Unite
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »
Thanks for the interest in this!

Nothing wrong with being critical, especially since at your age still drawing from a smaller pool than some of us.  Even if you are jacking albums left and right, you still have to listen to them.

Thanks for coming to my defense. I'm just trying to describe these albums in the way that I see them, and in many cases I love them despite their flaws. It would be boring if I blew my load over every single album, wouldn't it?

Temple of Hate is an awesome fucking album.

Nice that we agree, but the album is still called Temple of Shadows. :dammitamanda:

Here's some new stuff for all of ya!

42. Machine Head – The Blackening (2007)

Machine Head’s discography is an interesting little thing. Every album good, without being great for the most part (really, that’s true for all the albums by them that I have heard, with each featuring a bunch of great tracks and a bunch of tracks that I don’t care about at all) – and then, out of nowhere, comes The Blackening.

The Blackening is a behemoth of a thrash metal album, a relentless factory of riffs that come crashing down on you during every moment. The song writing isn’t really that varied, true, but at least for this album, it doesn’t bother me in the least, because the song writing is just so damn good.

Not just the song writing shine, but also the musicians – the most noteworthy is, of course, vocalist and guitarist Robert Flynn, who holds the title of being the first vocalist to use growling (or harsher vocals in any way) that I could get into, and his guitar playing is nothing short of excellent as well, providing the listener with memorable riffs and solos in every song.

Something, however, that really makes this album (not that it’s really needed, because it’s awesome in its own right) is the track order, because the album starts high with Clenching the Fists of Dissent and Beautiful Mourning, only to proceed to climb a little higher with each following song, ending the album on the best Machine Head track that I have ever heard, A Farewell to Arms. Were the order reversed, then I think I might even get bored of the second half a little, but as it is, there is not a single boring moment on this CD.

Everyone who is a thrash metal fan and has not yet heard this album, do so now. You can thank me later.

Recommended tracks: Slanderous, Halo, Wolves, A Farewell to Arms

41. Sum 41 – Chuck (2004)

And here we have the first pick that is probably truly surprising. Sum 41 are somewhat similar to Green Day, in that they call themselves a punk band, but they aren’t really one. However, that’s also where the similarities end, because even though Sum 41 play a certain brand of pop-punk, they mix that with a healthy amount of metal, just enough to keep it accessible.

Later and earlier efforts than Chuck (named after Chuck Pelletier, an ambassador that saved the group’s life in Africa, if I recall correctly) are all decidedly more poppy than this album, with only the most recent album going in a similar direction. Chuck, however, is pretty much a perfect blend of metal and pop-punk – heavy songs that are still accessible and have plenty of hooks – the best example of this would be 88, but really, there are tons of great songs on the album, which are not exactly varied, but very enjoyable nevertheless.

Lead guitarist Dave Baksh left Sum 41 after this album, which is kind of a shame, because his leads were really something that I liked most about their sound, and I could even imagine their latest album Screaming Bloody Murder surpassing Chuck if he were to play on it, but oh well. He did play on Chuck, and Chuck is awesome, so I won’t complain much.

Recommended tracks: We’re All to Blame, Open Your Eyes, I’m Not the One, 88, Noots (this is a bonus track on the international edition, so I’d recommend getting that one)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:34 AM »
The Blackening = countless spins for me when it first came out. Very cool album.

I haven't really heard anything by Sum 41 and I don't think I ever will.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:05 AM »
Two more that aren't for me.  :sad:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 05:19:11 AM »
Never really got into The Blackening.  Much prefer Locust, More Things Change and Burn my Eyes.

Interesting Strato pick and love the addition of Green Carnation, deserves all the praise it gets.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Two Albums, 32 Years In Between
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
40. Rammstein – Reise, Reise (2004)

Ah yes, Rammstein - a band that has the ability to split the public (at least here in Germany) like no other band that I have ever encountered. While some people outright hate Rammstein for their perceived “shocking for the sake of shocking” (interestingly enough, Rammstein is also one of the few bands that some people that I know actually hate), whereas others love their music and their lyrics. I am obviously in the latter camp, much to my roommates chagrin. :P

For those of you that don’t know, Rammstein play a genre of music that is most commonly referred to as Neue Deutsche Härte or Industrial Music, though the guys from Rammstein call it “dance metal” themselves, with the last description pretty much nailing it. Their music is, in most cases, heavy, yet very emotional and also very catchy and danceable. I can’t really describe the sound any better than that – Rammstein have to be heard to understand it fully, I think.

Reise, Reise is Rammstein’s fourth album and by the time of its release, they had long since gained notoriety, if not outside, then at the very least inside of Germany, whether for their alleged ties to the Nazi scene, controversial song themes (Heirate mich on their debut album, which is about necrophilia comes to mind) or for actually engaging in anal sex with a dildo and ejaculating prepared semen from it onto the first rows of the audience during their first live DVD, Rammstein had long since become a name that everyone knew, even those that had no interest in this kind of music.

With such a reputation to live up to, as well as the amazing predecessor Mutter, expectations were high prior to the release of Reise, Reise – and Rammstein, despite these high expectations, didn’t disappoint in the slightest – I would probably even dare to say that they surpassed them.

The album is amazingly consistent, with not a bad track to be found on this release. Interestingly enough, Rammstein also moved away from the controversial themes on this album. Of course it did contain the obligatory scandal song (Mein Teil), complete with a video that could only be aired on MTV between ten and six, because it featured scenes of singer Till Lindemann being fellated by an angel, while tearing out it’s feathers, but other than that, the songs seem to move away a little from the shock angle and feature some stunning lyrics (mainly those that tell stories, such as Dalai Lama and Stein um Stein – songs about emotions are more prone to become cheesy, such as Ohne dich) in their own right.

The performance of the six musicians is stunning as well, with singer Till Lindemann really standing out, as his voice, while it does take some getting used to, is a very powerful and emotional one, which, along with great vocal melodies, make the vocals to be the most praiseworthy thing on this album, in my opinion.

But really, everything about this album is great. Many will probably not agree – if you don’t enjoy Rammstein, then this album isn’t for you – but if you haven’t heard Rammstein yet, then this is an ideal starting point.

Recommended tracks: Dalai Lama, Morgenstern (fun fact: my mother sings in the choir in this one), Stein um Stein, Amour

39. Deep Purple – Made in Japan (1972)

This live album is, for me, the pinnacle of what Deep Purple would accomplish. Released at the very height of their career, this album showcases all the aspects of Deep Purple that have made them one of the most successful rock bands to have ever existed.

The song selection, something which makes or breaks a live album for me (among other factors, of course) is spectacular, with all of my personal favourites (Highway Star, Child in Time, Space Truckin’, Speed King) being represented, most of them in extended versions which truly showcase the creativity of all the members, though Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord especially shine – the key solo in Highway Star, for instance, is one of my favourite keyboard solos ever to be recorded.

All in all, there’s really not a lot to say about this album. It’s considered one of the best live albums in the history of rock, and not an ounce of this praise is undeserved. If you don’t have it, buy it. Now.

Recommended tracks: Highway Star, Child in Time, The Mule, Space Truckin’

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
I'll be honest and say I don't know full albums by Rammstein, only individual songs. Mostly because of the 'Volkerball' (sp?) dvd. Live in Japan is however awesome (but aren't you breaking any unwritten rules by putting a live album in your top 50?) and it's frankly the only Deep Purple 'album' I own a physical copy of. Cool stuff.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »
but aren't you breaking any unwritten rules by putting a live album in your top 50?

My Top 50, my rules.

Also, Völkerball is indeed awesome. I would have loved to be there, one of the best concert DVDs I have.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:44:18 AM by Scorpion »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »
Made In Japan is great and there will definitely be live albums in my Top 50. Two of which are in my Top 10
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
Good picks in here. Abigail is one of the best albums ever, for sure. Reise, Reise is my favorite Rammstein album, but Till is pretty much the only reason I come back to that band anymore. Their music just doesn't interest me enough to listen to them for an entire album's length. I'm not sure what happened, because I used to love them to death.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Highway Star live is awesome.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
First mention of Deep Purple in any list so far
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:15 AM »
They were very close to making it in mine. As to live albums, I had seven or eight.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »
Reise, Reise  :tup. Dalai-lama is indeed awesome, and I found it even more awesome, when I found that it was inspired by Schubert's Erlkönig.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Opposite Ends of the Spectrum
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 03:01:23 AM »
Reise, Reise  :tup. Dalai-lama is indeed awesome, and I found it even more awesome, when I found that it was inspired by Schubert's Erlkönig.

That is pretty awesome indeed, especially considering how boring the original poem is and what Rammstein made from it. Der Erlkönig is by Goethe, however - Schubert only a wrote a song based on that poem later.

Anywho, update time!

38. Placebo – Without You I’m Nothing (1998)

Placebo is one of the few remnants of the music that I listened to before I discovered metal and only listened to what my father was listening, and while our tastes now diverge quite strongly, we both still enjoy Placebo a lot.

Placebo are a British alternative rock band, though their sound has been too continuously evolving to be able to really limit Placebo to this genre. Their first album was much more in the vein of punk (though still far from it), whereas this album, even though it does contain elements of this sound (Scared of Girls or Brick Shithouse, for example), goes more into the direction of depressing and melancholy music, with some experimental elements thrown in.

Without You I’m Nothing is Placebo’s sophomore effort, and with Every You Every Me it contains one of the band’s best known songs, due to the fact that it was part of the soundtrack of the movie Cruel Intentions.

Every You Every Me is an obvious choice for a single on this album and it is a pretty awesome song as well, but it pales in comparison to the rest of the album. This album contains nothing but beautiful songs that are often very haunting, melodic and intense, and it is one of the most emotional albums that I know. From the instantly recognizable beginning of Pure Morning to the final chord of Burger Queen, this album offers amazing music in astounding quantities, which is strongly enhanced by both singer Brian Molko’s voice and by the production of the album itself. Even the cover is a good representation of what the album feels like, in a sense.

To top it off, the album contains a bonus track which has some of the most hilariously creepy lyrics that I have ever read, though it is made even funnier by the fact that they aren’t even written by the band, but simply the contents of a message that Brian Molko found on his answering machine on day. The track is aptly title Evil Dildo, and the lyrics talk are a threat towards Molko, saying that the caller will come to his house, cut off his penis and eat it. That, in combination with the creepy music, makes, while certainly very different than the rest of the album, an awesome track all in itself, though I understand why it was only put on a bonus track.

In summary: if you like dark, melancholic music with lyrics that are not quite poetic, but pretty damn well close, then chances are you’ll like this album, and I suggest you give it a spin.

Recommended tracks: Ask for Answers, Without You I’m Nothing, The Crawl, Burger Queen

37. Luna Mortis – The Absence (2009)

And here we are at the other end of the spectrum, at least musically speaking. Luna Mortis are a – sadly – relatively unknown band that plays a blend of progressive, thrash and melodic death metal. They only released one full-length album before dissolving in 2010, but this album is really something to behold, and also something that every fan of the aforementioned genres should have listened to at least once and is rather likely to like.

Except, of course, if this metal fan dislikes female vocals, because that is one of the things that make Luna Mortis’ sound rather unique, in my opinion (keep in my mind that I’m not really all that well versed in the realms of melodic death metal, so there’s a high probability that many of you could prove me wrong here). Before hearing this album, I would have never thought that females could deliver such a presence in growling vocals as vocalist Mary Zimmer does on this album, but her vocals are nothing short of astounding.

However, the true star of the album is guitarist Brian Koenig, who, on this album, delivers memorable riffs and leads left and right, such as the opening riff of Ash, the album opener. The production of the album isn’t anything special, but it does its job well enough and it isn’t bad by any means either.

Another point where Luna Mortis manage to impress – and arguably the most important one, that is – is the songs themselves. They aren’t really anything extremely innovative, neither in sound nor in structure, but they are all concise and to the point, as well as masterfully crafted and executed. There’s the obligatory ballad (This Departure), but even that is pretty good, and the rest of the songs simply slay.

Recommended tracks: Ash, The Absence, Never Give In, Embrace the End
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:52:19 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 04:09:11 AM »
Haven't heard these 2

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
From what I know about your tastes, you probably would enjoy neither. :P

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:20 AM »
 :lol I know. I read your reviews and the second one is a no for sure but I may need to give Placebo a shot. I love their song Every me and every you

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 04:24:33 AM »
:lol I know. I read your reviews and the second one is a no for sure but I may need to give Placebo a shot. I love their song Every me and every you

Well, the rest of the album is a little darker and more melancholy for the most part, but if you like Every Me Every You then you should definitely give it a shot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »
Haven't heard these 2

though Luna Mortis sound interesting. Do you think I'll like it?
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
If you aren't opposed to harsher vocals, give it a spin.

This is the track that got me into them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPI1eeRAyrw

EDIT: Quality sucks, but it should give you an idea.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
I'm not. I used to listen to a lot of Melodic Death Metal when I was younger.

EDIT: Wow, that track was pretty cool. You should have saved it for my roulette, could have scored some points with it :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:56:51 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Uhm, yeah. Check out the rest as well.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mladen

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »
Ouch, late to the party. Some quite amazing albums so far.  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
Ouch, late to the party. Some quite amazing albums so far.  :tup

No arguments from me towards that statement. :P

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »
Made In Japan is great and there will definitely be live albums in my Top 50. Two of which are in my Top 10

Several live albums in mine too.  ;D  :metal

Not a Rammstein fan but the video with the evil Snow White in it did things to me...  :heart :blush

Purple I love. Great live album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »
Lowdz, did you get my PM?