Author Topic: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Honourable Mentions, I AM THE LAAAAAAAAAAST!  (Read 45744 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. The End Is Near...
« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »
Nah, Sehnsucht isn't that good.  ;D

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
Falling into Infinity???
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »
Nevermind?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
Omerta?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
Believe?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. That's It!
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
To end the speculation, I will just post my final entry. Before I do so, I want to thank everyone who has followed my list, I had a lot of fun doing this list, even though the write-ups were sometimes a bitch. I hope my reviews for my album were actually informative and not too boring or too fanboyish - that's what I tried to do while writing them, anyway.

Here it is, my #1 album of all time:

01. System of a Down – Hypnotize (2005)

And here we have my #1 album of all time, just as Elite called it, and I’m sure that there are few people, even among those that like System of a Down that would agree with this placement, but I can’t help it – not that I want to, anyway, because this album deserves nothing less.

In 2005, System of a Down released two albums, Hypnotize and Mezmerize, and while it seems to be almost general consensus that Mezmerize is the superior album, I never quite got where that was coming from. Sure, Mezmerize is a great album and if I didn’t limit myself to two album a band, then it would have shown up on this list as well, but there are a few tracks that I don’t really care all that much for.

Hypnotize, meanwhile, is absolutely flawless, with every track being a perfect 10/10, and some of them even surpassing that. Even the weaker tracks on this album are masterpieces that other bands could never even hope to touch, and the better tracks on this album are some of the best songs that I have ever heard, with Soldier Side being my favourite song of all time – everything on it, the lyrics, the melodies, the structure, and that goddamn powerful chorus are perfect.

Most of the flak that this album gets is probably for Lonely Day, which is, for System of a Down standards, a very conventional song, but apart from that there is really nothing wrong with it. The lyrics may seem a little cheesy, but they always seemed very honest and heartfelt to me, especially when I actually saw this song live. It also features an excellent guitar solo, which is a rarity for System.

Really, I could (like everyone else with their #1 album) go on for far longer than this, but I think that that’s all that needs to be said. This album is perfect in every sense, and while I doubt that too many people will agree with me, I would encourage everyone to try out this album at least once if they haven’t heard it yet.

Recommended tracks: Attack, Dreaming, Hypnotize, Stealing Society, U-Fig, Holy Mountains, Lonely Day, Soldier Side

There will be some honourable mentions to come in the next few days, consisting either of albums that just didn't make the cut, but are still worth mentioning, albums that mean a lot to me but didn't make the list because of my two-album-per-artist limit, or stuff that I have only known for too little of a time to be able to put it in this list, but that I feel that could, in the near future, easily make this list.

Again, thanks for following!  :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #321 on: October 11, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
Damn, this album never clicked with me...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #322 on: October 11, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
Good list, but yeah, I just don't like SoaD at all.  But thanks for the list, I enjoyed following.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
Good list, but yeah, I just don't like SoaD at all.  But thanks for the list, I enjoyed following.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #324 on: October 11, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »

Third'd'd
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #325 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
I find it odd that a German with the handle "Scorpion" didn't have a single album by the Scorpions in his list.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: October 11, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »
I find it odd that a German with the handle "Scorpion" didn't have a single album by the Scorpions in his list.

I expected someone to pick up on that, but honestly, I could never get into them at all, and my handle has nothing to do with it. In fact, I don't really know why I picked that name - I think it was because I needed a name and I was listening to Megadeth's The Scorpion while registering for DTF, and I though that scorpions where kinda badass anyway, with all the deadliness and stuff.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #327 on: October 11, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
I love Lonely Day and every other song on Hypnotize, but that's still a rather interesting choice for best album ever. Combined with Mezmerize, it would rank pretty highly on my list, but not quite up to that top 50 level.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

• DT.net Member
« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Scrop, there's no one like you.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #329 on: October 11, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: October 11, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
Scrop, there's no one like you.

Hopefully he's still loving you.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #331 on: October 11, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
And rocking you like a hurricane.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: October 11, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
Bad puns running wild!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: October 11, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »
Scorp, you give me all I need.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #334 on: October 11, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #335 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »
Epic nr 1 man. Supergeil!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: October 11, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
Hypnotize was decent but not up to the level of Toxcitiy.  Good list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: October 11, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #338 on: October 11, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »
Just listened to Hypmotize and I enjoyed it. I just need to find a better means of listening to full albums I don't own since hearing it as one continuous track on a youtube full-album upload seems to take away the recognition factor of being able to immediately look at the media player and knowing what the song title is when you hear one of those "OOH!" moments. I'd give it a 7 as of now with a chance for growth once I can sift through my samey perception of it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #339 on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
Spotify, maybe?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #340 on: October 11, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
Word. Them n***as make you register or anything?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #341 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
I think the free Spotify account just requires you to have a FB account.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #342 on: October 11, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »
Thanks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #343 on: October 11, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »
 :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: October 12, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »
Every SOAD album is awesome, no complaints. :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Honourable Mentions, the First
« Reply #345 on: October 12, 2012, 04:09:30 AM »
Some honourable mentions to follow-up on the list. The write-ups aren't as lengthy as for the main list, but then again, these are only the HMs. They are in no particular order - they are simply ordered in the order in which I felt like writing the write-ups.

Soul Secret – Closer to Daylight (2011)

This is probably the album on this list that I have known for the shortest time (a week), and even though I would have scoffed at someone telling me that I would include an album that I’ve known for such a short time on my list, this album needs to be here. I’ve been spinning this album at least once a day during the last week and it just seems to get better and better. All the instrumentalists are awesome, the vocals are great, and the song writing manages to stay interesting throughout the whole album. I can’t quite see this entering my Top 10, but if it keeps its ascent, then Top 25 doesn’t seem too far-fetched. Recommended to anyone who enjoys good prog metal.

Recommended tracks: River’s Edge, Pillars of Sand, Behind the Curtain, Aftermath

Stratovarius – Elysium (2011)

Stratovarius most recent offering is almost on par with Dreamspace and Polaris, and while some of the individual songs here are some of the best that the band has written, there are a few duds here that keep it from taking the top spot. It does, however, contain my favourite Stratovarius song (the title track), along with many other great tracks. If the bonus track Castaway were to replace Move the Mountain, then this might actually be in my Top 50, but as it is, it just barely missed the cut.

Recommended tracks: Darkest Hours, Infernal Maze, The Game Never Ends, Elysium, Castaway

Affector – Harmagedon (2012)

Another very recent album, this album was one that was recommended to me by DTF as well. It features some brilliant songwriting, with every song being very enjoyable. Especially the way that the band uses different guest keyboardists to give different songs discernibly different touches is something that I enjoy a lot. Both Sherinian and Rudess shine on this record in their unique ways, and the direct contrast is very nice. I’m not completely sold on Ted Leonard’s voice, but its slowly growing on me. This might make my list in a year or so.

Recommended tracks: Salvation, The Rapture, Harmagedon, New Jerusalem

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: October 12, 2012, 04:25:49 AM »
Elysium was such a surprise and a big step up from Polaris IMO.  Soul Secret are great but I only have Flowing Portraits.  The Affector album was good but the lyrics were too biblical for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #347 on: October 12, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »
Elysium is great.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: October 12, 2012, 05:05:27 AM »
Huh, 3 albums to check out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 12, 2012, 05:52:10 AM »
Never got too deep into Strat.  The other two at freaking amazing.  For some reason, I don't have an issue with the religious aspect of Haragedon.