Author Topic: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Honourable Mentions, I AM THE LAAAAAAAAAAST!  (Read 45725 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Please Don't Hate Me
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
09. Lou Reed and Metallica – Lulu (2009)

Now, I’m sure that I will lose whatever credibility I have gathered during my brief stay at DTF, and I was even debating whether I should omit this album because of that, but I can’t help but put if here, if I’m honest with myself. I really understand where many of the critics are coming from, but for me, this album connects to me in a way that no other Metallica album can quite achieve.

Perhaps it is because of the welcome change that Lou Reed’s vocals bring to the music, or the stylistic shift from metal to somewhat more akin to hard rock that this album encompasses, but I always felt that this album, despite its ridicule, has always felt like the much-needed breather in Metallica’s discography to me.

However, all of this wouldn’t be enough to make me rate this album this highly if the music itself weren’t up to scratch, but fortunately, it is. The stylistical shift on this album is very well done, far better than from The Black Album to Load, and it is something that I am very happy about, because Death Magnetic, which tried to resurrect the sound of the 80’s again, ultimately only succeeded in being a poor copy of what Metallica had achieved at their height, and I firmly believe that nothing good could have come from going further down that road.

Lulu, however, sees Metallica exploring new territory, like the very mellow Little Dog or the groovy epic Junior Dad. I would have loved to hear Metallica to expand on these experiments further, but given the negative reception that this album received, it is probably safe to say that their next release will try to resurrect the eighties again. Still, out of this experiment, the world got Lulu, and I will forever be thankful for that.

If you’ve written of this album because of the negative critics without listening to it, then I would definitely rectify that. This album really isn’t for everyone, but I honestly love this album, and I can imagine that there are quite a few people who might feel the same, upon giving this album a fair chance.

Recommended tracks: Brandenburg Gate, The View, Little Dog, Dragon, Junior Dad
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »
hate you??? I love you so damn much for Megadeth  :2metal:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
Scorp,
To catch up:
Megadeth CTE.. I didn't know what to make of this when it came out. The sound was a little too "clean" for a Megadeth album, but it has aged pretty well. I javen't played it in a while but I will bust it out tonight.

Sym X... This band should be a slam dunk for me, but for whatever reason, I just cannot warm up to them. I just do not connect with Russ Allen even though the guy is great. My fave from them is probably Divine Wings

Lulu.. You lose no credibility here. It is YOUR list.. And a very respectable one at that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »
I never thought I'd see Lulu in a top 50
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:21 AM »
I never thought I'd see Lulu in a top 10. Personally, I really like the album, although it took me a while to give it a fair chance and forget about the haters. The entire album made sense once I listened to Dragon more carefully. It's an extremely challenging listen but very rewarding if you dig the story.

And that Symphony X album is awesome.  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
What the hell.
Ah, well. It's your list. I was frowned upon for having One Hour By The Concrete Lake in my top 10, but I didn't like Lulu at all. I'm sorry.

The Odyssey is good though, but not top 10(0) worthy for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
I never bothered to listen to Lulu, but I respect you for publishing an opinion that you know people won't agree with.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2012, 10:59:32 AM »
I never bothered to listen to Lulu, but I respect you for publishing an opinion that you know people won't agree with.

This. Mad props on going with your heart bro. :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. This Was An Experiment
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
Alright, first things first: I apologize for the last update, which wasn't real. It was actually an experiment, to see how convincingly I could praise something that I don't care for, because I have a similar task in my English class at the moment. It was NOT meant to be demeaning to anyone who actually thinks this album is a good album, but I personally don't enjoy it a lot.

After RJ's and Mason's responses, I actually feel quite bad about this, because it seems like I don't want to voice an opinion that is unpopular, and because it could give off the impression that I actually don't support people who do precisely that. That is, I can assure you, neither is the case at all, and there will be another album to come soon that is regarded almost as much a black sheep as Lulu is.

Again, sorry if this offended anyone or anything.

Now, my real number 9:

09. Metallica – Master of Puppets (1986)

Often cited as one of, if not the greatest thrash metal album of all time, this album encompasses everything that was good about Metallica in the eighties, and sadly also everything that they abandoned with their later albums. This album is structurally very similar to Ride the Lightning, with the first track opening with acoustic guitars, before getting heavy, the second track being the title track, the fourth being a more mellow affair and the album containing a long instrumental near the end, but this album ups the ante presented by Ride the Lightning in all aspects, resulting in an album with not a single bad or boring moment.

Really, this album has it all: lightning fast riffs and soloing (Battery, Disposable Heroes, Damage, Inc.), darker and more trudging riffs (The Thing That Should Not Be), creative solos (Master of Puppets) and some of the best lyrics that Metallica has ever had to offer (Master of Puppets again, Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah).

A very special song for me on this album is Orion, which is probably one of my favourite instrumentals ever (second only to Eve, I think), and most of this is due to Cliff Burton’s genius bass work. The bass is really all over the place here, and the way that Burton weaves bass melodies into the guitar work is nothing short of astounding. It was a tragedy that he died soon after this album was released, because I would have loved to see him contribute to future albums of the band, at least to …And Justice for All, but as it stands, I honestly cannot imagine a better swan song for him than Orion.

If you are a metal fan, then you know this album already, and you probably also know how awesome it is. Those that haven’t heard it, please turn in your metal fan card right now. You’ll get it back once you listened to Master of Puppets. :P

Recommended tracks: Battery, Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes, Orion, Damage, Inc.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #219 on: October 08, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »
09. Lou Reed and Metallica – Lulu (2009)

Now, I’m sure that I will lose whatever credibility I have gathered during my brief stay at DTF, and I was even debating whether I should omit this album because of that, but I can’t help but put if here, if I’m honest with myself. I really understand where many of the critics are coming from, but for me, this album connects to me in a way that no other Metallica album can quite achieve.

Perhaps it is because of the welcome change that Lou Reed’s vocals bring to the music, or the stylistic shift from metal to somewhat more akin to hard rock that this album encompasses, but I always felt that this album, despite its ridicule, has always felt like the much-needed breather in Metallica’s discography to me.

However, all of this wouldn’t be enough to make me rate this album this highly if the music itself weren’t up to scratch, but fortunately, it is. The stylistical shift on this album is very well done, far better than from The Black Album to Load, and it is something that I am very happy about, because Death Magnetic, which tried to resurrect the sound of the 80’s again, ultimately only succeeded in being a poor copy of what Metallica had achieved at their height, and I firmly believe that nothing good could have come from going further down that road.

Lulu, however, sees Metallica exploring new territory, like the very mellow Little Dog or the groovy epic Junior Dad. I would have loved to hear Metallica to expand on these experiments further, but given the negative reception that this album received, it is probably safe to say that their next release will try to resurrect the eighties again. Still, out of this experiment, the world got Lulu, and I will forever be thankful for that.

If you’ve written of this album because of the negative critics without listening to it, then I would definitely rectify that. This album really isn’t for everyone, but I honestly love this album, and I can imagine that there are quite a few people who might feel the same, upon giving this album a fair chance.

Recommended tracks: Brandenburg Gate, The View, Little Dog, Dragon, Junior Dad

I love beautiful things.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
lol, WHY YOU HAVE TO REVEAL THE TROLL JUST SECONDS BEFORE OF MY POST!?!?!?!?!?
I love beautiful things.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
Wow, seriously...?

Anyway, you were quite convincing, but that's just mean.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: October 08, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
Wow, seriously...?

Yeah, I actually feel pretty bad for doing that right now. I should have thought it through beforehand.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
Wow, color me fooled  :clap:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »
Wow, seriously...?

Yeah, I actually feel pretty bad for doing that right now. I should have thought it through beforehand.

That alright. No worries from me :)
Squ

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »
Master Of Puppets is a great album, no doubt.

But what you did was just not right. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »
Now this is a great Metallica album, unlike the last one you posted :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
Damn, and just for once I thought I'm not the only one liking Lulu.  ;D

You can't go wrong with Master, though.  :tup

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
MoP and Odyssey are my favorites from Metallica and SX; so no complaints.  I only heard that table song from LuLu so I wouldnt have been able to comment either way on that disc.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Taste Me, The Kiss of Death
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
Another update, last one for today, I promise.

08. Megadeth – Rust in Peace (1990)

And here is my favourite Megadeth album, and while I’m sure that this comes as no surprise to anyone, I can’t help it. Every ounce of praise that this album has received – which is a lot, as this record is considered to be one of the genre-defining albums of thrash metal, along with Master of Puppets and maybe Reign in Blood – is well-deserved, with every member of Megadeth being at their very best here.

The riffs on this album are out of this world, as is the soloing of both Dave and Marty – every song (except for Dawn Patrol) contains at least one memorable solo that has left me having to pick up my jaw from the floor when I first heard it. Dave Ellefson’s bass work on this album isn’t really as prominent as the guitars and drums are, but when you notice it or when he actually takes a lead role (Poison Was the Cure, Dawn Patrol), then it become apparent quickly that he is a great bass player in his own right and he undeniably shapes the songs in a very unique way.

The song writing on this record is able to match the amazing performances of every member on this album in every song, with this album containing quite some songs that are notably different than the standard metal song in structure, and almost always better because of it – Holy Wars or Five Magics come to mind. Lyrically, this album is also one of Megadeth’s finest moments, with Dave really diving into the political topics on this album, and managing to do so without sounding overtly preachy or anything, but rather delivering the whole thing in an angry and aggressive way that few other singers could ever duplicate.

Really, this is an album that you can’t go wrong with, and everyone who is a fan of metal in any way should have listened to this album at least once. No excuses.

Recommended tracks: Holy Wars… The Punishment Due, Hangar 18, Five Magics, Poison Was the Cure, Tornado of Souls (contains one of my favourite guitar solos of all time)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »
Rust In Peace  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2012, 03:53:18 PM »
Marty Friedman's solo album "Dragon Kiss" > megadeth imo.
(marty friedman was their guitar player).

I love beautiful things.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »
Really, this is an album that you can’t go wrong with, and everyone who is a fan of metal in any way should have listened to this album at least once. No excuses.
:guilty:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »

The fuck Milena. I would have thought you'd known it.

Rust in Peace is fucking amazing, great pick. My first Megadeth album and still my favourite. Also the only one I have on CD :P .
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
You're on a hell of a roll here, Scorp!!!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »

Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »

:alsoguilty:

I'll turn in my rocker chick card after the Monday Night Football game. :(

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
The fuck Milena. I would have thought you'd known it.
I'm just not into thrash at all. I have probably heard all the songs separately; hearing it all in one sitting? Nah.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. I'll Take Their F--king Heads
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »
Update time!

07. Trivium – Shogun (2008)

This is probably a pick that nobody had expected, and I haven’t met many people that actually like this band, but for those that don’t like Trivium, it’s your loss, because most of the band’s output is very solid, at least, with the bands fourth effort, Shogun, surpassing everything else that the band has ever made and being amazing album in its own right.

Shogun is, at heart, a metalcore album (though I despise this label, because pretty much every genre ending in –core sucks big time) that melds thrashy music and riffs with both clean and harsh vocals, pulled of masterfully by young guitarist and bandleader Matt Heafy, but this album is so much more than that. Shogun is also Trivium at their best lyrically, with the songs being rich with metaphorical and, dare I say, nearly poetic lyrics, and even though many songs aren’t really about day-to-day topics, this works for the band far better than the lyrical approach on their previous album.

This album also shows the band at their most progressive, featuring lots of unexpected breakdown and unusual structures all around, the most glaring example being the title track, but there are many other songs on this record that are far from your simple, run-of-the-mill metal song. The performance of all the members is top notch, with the guitar duo Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu standing out especially – both are very young players, but immensely talented, and they know how to shred like the best them (listen to Shogun’s solo section after the acoustic break if you doubt me on that).

This album is not for everyone, I suppose, but if you aren’t opposed to harsher vocals and a more modern metal sound, then you should check this out. This is an awesome introductory album to Trivium as well, and it was the album that got me into them.

Recommended tracks: Kirisute Gomen, Down From the Sky, Throes of Perdition, Of Prometheus and the Crucifix, Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven, Shogun

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2012, 03:45:45 AM »
Knew it was going to be Shogun from the thread title.  :tup  Prefer Ascendancy but Shogun is a close second, amazing album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »
MOP is my all time-favourite  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal.

Rust in Peace is also great indeed.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »
Shogun is cool. In fact, I think it's the only Trivium I know well enough to comment about. I wouldn't rank it higher than Rust in Peace or Master of Puppets though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:05:04 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #243 on: October 09, 2012, 05:49:28 AM »
because pretty much every genre ending in –core sucks big time)

Truer words were never written!  I tried Trivium last year in anticipation for them opening for DT.  Music was good, but I *am* adverse to harsh vocals (with limited exceptions), and just couldn't get past that.

Never been a big Megadeath fan, and while I recognize the place and influence of MoP in metal history, I find it to be over-rated <runs to put flame retardant suit on>.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:37 AM »
I have The Crusade, and like it, but also not caring for RORORO, that is all I have from trivium.