Author Topic: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Honourable Mentions, I AM THE LAAAAAAAAAAST!  (Read 45356 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Alright, time to get this on the road. I'll be starting my Top 50 right now, as all the other people in front of me on the waiting list aren't ready yet and we should really bring some action back into the Top 50 threads. If anyone objects to this, please tell me.

This list will consist of my Top 50. I can't really say how much "all-time" this is, as it features a lot of music that I discovered on DTF, but when I read through the list again today, I can honestly say that this list is a pretty good representation of my tastes. I made some final adjustements and it is now complete, to be posted in small steps for you to enjoy/dissect/bemoan or whatever else you wish to do with it.

Each band on this list will have no more than two albums, simply to prevent this from becoming a five-band-affair (I'm exaggerating slightly, but not that much) - a few albums that I simply could not leave off will therefore be part of the honourable mentions at the end. I'll try to update twice a day, but at least one update a day shall be guaranteed.

My tastes are probably not what most people would call diverse, but I can safely say that they are far more diverse than they were a year ago and this list reflects that. Expect to see mainly metal, but there should be the odd surprising pick thrown in which should (hopefully) prevent this list from becoming boring and predictable.

So, without further ado, begin!

50. Transatlantic – Bridge Across Forever (2001)

And off we go with a choice that will already have people moaning at its low placement, but I can’t help it. Yes, this album is the best album that Transatlantic have ever done, and each of the four pieces, save for Suite-Charlotte Pike (which has a distinct "jammy" character instead of the feeling of a composed song) are masterfully constructed and have their abundant share of atmospheric textures and great melodies, and yes, all the musicians are top-notch here, with Portnoy delivering some extremely tasteful and yet driving drumming instead of his in-your-face approach (Stranger in Your Soul comes to mind as a perfect example) and the vocal interplay between the different vocalists is nothing short of amazing – hell, even the fact that Bridge Across Forever is cheesier than a Pizza Margherita doesn’t bother me.

However, there is one thing that bothers me with this record and that is also the reason for this low placement, despite all of the positives listed: Transatlantic’s music lacks, for lack of a better word, a certain punch, a certain aggressiveness. Now, this doesn’t mean that music has to be 100% heavy-balls-out, or that there are no heavy parts on this album, but the music, while masterfully crafted and performed, is simply a little too tame. It is never really edgy, but instead meanders around a little, not really being boring, but not being that interesting either. When I force myself to really listen, I always appreciate it, but the bottom line is that because I have to force myself to listen to reach this effect, this otherwise amazing album sadly on gets the 50th spot on my list.

Recommended tracks: Duel With the Devil, Stranger in Your Soul

49. Led Zeppelin – IV (1971)

Now, if the previous pick didn’t have the people ranting and raving, then this probably does, it being one of the most important albums of classic rock and heavy metal in general, with a legacy that few albums out there can ever hope to match. And rightly so – the musicianship is stellar, with both creative songwriting and great performances all over the place.

However, in the end, the problem with this album is that there are many stellar songs on this album, a few of them fall short of this and come close to ruining the experience of this album (mainly Misty Mountain Hop and Four Sticks) – also, Robert Plant’s vocals have, for a long time been something that I hated with a passion. I can stand them now and appreciate the majority of the album for what it is – a defining album in the history of rock – but unfortunately, the album, while good, isn’t really all that excellent as most people make it out to be.

Recommended tracks: Black Dog, Stairway to Heaven, Going to California, When the Levee Breaks

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:55:51 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
I don't have either of those, but they both sound great!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Lowdz

Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
Following intently.
The Transatlantic is great. Led Zep I never got. I understand that they wee groundbreaking and the influence they had, I just don't like 'em. Plant: Hated his voice and his mannerisms and I can't stand folk music.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Probably a Bemoanworthy Beginning
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »
Well, I'm glad that I'm not alone in the "doesn't-really-like-Led-Zep" corner. :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
Well, I'm glad that I'm not alone in the "doesn't-really-like-Led-Zep" corner. :lol

I'll join you in said corner.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:30:32 AM »
Following intently too! I'm in the other corner for LZ. But I definitely understand how people dont get huge influential bands. I don't get the Beatles whatsoever.

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:58:24 AM »
I don't get it. Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but it sounds like: in your opinion, the 49th greatest album ever - that out of the millions ever recorded, there are only 48 better than - is one that you don't really like that much? I can appreciate the influence The Beatles and Hendrix and Elvis had but you wouldn't find them anywhere near my list - it's your favourite albums, not the most influential ones.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
I don't get it. Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but it sounds like: in your opinion, the 49th greatest album ever - that out of the millions ever recorded, there are only 48 better than - is one that you don't really like that much? I can appreciate the influence The Beatles and Hendrix and Elvis had but you wouldn't find them anywhere near my list - it's your favourite albums, not the most influential ones.

:lol

That occurred to me too. If you read the write up you certainly wouldn't know that was a top 50 album from the review!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
And we are off to a great start. Both amazing albums
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »

I guess that that's rather badly worded. The thing is just that I was rather justifying why this album was in 49th place and not higher, because so many people rate it far higher than I do. That said, it's still a great album, with the things that I mentioned being the only problems that I have with it. The songwriting on the other songs and the performance of the whole album is something to behold, and I really enjoy the album when I listen to it - it's just that it's lower than some people would expect it and that's why the whole review of the album is negatively tinted, as I was assuming that everyone is familiar with the positives.

I'll try to be more clear in the future, alright?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Following intently too! I'm in the other corner for LZ. But I definitely understand how people dont get huge influential bands. I don't get the Beatles whatsoever.

I'm not a huge Zep guy. There will be only one Zep album in my Top 50.
I am definitely not a Transatlantic guy either.

Scorp, definitely following.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
Bridge Across Forever is about 47 spots too low, but cool to see it included. :tup
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »
6th mention of Bridge on these lists.  Two people rated it their 3rd favorite album.

3rd mention of IV.  Previously rated 4th and 29th.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:57:26 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
Bridge Across Forever is about 47 spots too low, but cool to see it included. :tup

Yeah, well this. Should definitely be in the top 10.
That said, I didn't have it in mine, but that was only because I limited myself to albums I had known for more than 6 months. Now I wouldn't hesitate putting it in the top 10.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Scars and Queens
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Thanks for the interest, and update time!

48. Scars on Broadway – Scars on Broadway (2008)

Scars on Broadway, for those of you that don’t know, is the side project of System of a Down-guitarist Daron Malakian and drummer John Dolmayan, and the band’s close ties to System of a Down can be heard very clearly. All of the songs are delivered in a very SoaD-esque manner, with Daron singing everything, not splitting it like in SoaD. The musicianship is, as was expected, top-notch, with Daron’s guitars easily being the stars of the album.

But not only the musicianship shines, the song-writing is great as well. The songs are, in most cases, catchy as hell, with plenty of hooks, yet without drifting into mainstream territory, and they transport an unbelievable amount of energy and atmosphere, in the fast-paced rockers just as in the slower pieces.

However, the album’s greatest strength and what drew me to the band in the first place – the closeness and likeness to SoaD is probably also the bands greatest weakness. This record would be a fantastic, maybe even a perfect record on its own, but as it is, this album cannot escape the comparison with SoaD – a comparison where it, in my opinion, is the clear loser, because where Scars on Broadway is more or less all in the vein of Daron’s songs for SoaD, it lacks the balance that SoaD has with Serj writing the other half. And while each song on Scars on Broadway’s debut album is masterfully crafted and executed with great atmospheres and stunning melodies, I can never help but wonder: how good could this have been with Serj?

Recommended tracks: Funny, Babylon, Chemicals, Whoring Streets

47. Queens of the Stone Age – Songs for the Deaf (2002)

Most of you have probably heard of this band, even if you haven’t yet listened to them. I must say that I never got into anything else that Josh Homme had done, and even with QotSA, this album is the only one which really holds my interest, but it is a killer album in itself, with a very unique style. This is probably one of my favourite straight-out rock albums of all time (what I classify as rock, anyway, but I have always been very lenient with regards to genre descriptions).

Especially the longer tracks on this record really stand out. The shorter tracks like Go With the Flow, probably the most well-known song off this record or the tone-setting opener You Think I Ain’t Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionare aren’t bad by any means, but they do pale a little when compared to their longer colleagues that can be found on Songs for the Deaf.

Mosquito Song, which was my favourite for a long time, is perhaps the biggest surprise of all on this CD. The other tracks, even though they are far better than most other QotSA tracks, are still easily identifiable as the band, as their sound is more refined, but ultimately rather similar. Mosquito Song breaks away from that completely, using clean guitars and an orchestra instead of distorted guitars and drumming. Some people might consider it to be cheesy, but for me it is the standout track on an already great album and it is single-handedly responsible for this album being in my Top 50.

Recommended tracks: Go With the Flow, God Is on the Radio, A Song for the Deaf, Mosquito Song

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
only the second mention for both of these.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »

I love your statistics and your spreadsheet, keep 'em coming! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »

I love your statistics and your spreadsheet, keep 'em coming! :)

I think there's likely to be a few firsts and probably onlys when it gets to my turn  ;D

Two that are probably not up my street but I'll give em a listen first chance I get.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
don't know either of those

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »
I felt that an awesome thread's just started.. I wasn't wrong!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:46 AM »
 :lol

Thanks. :heart

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Angr(a)y Stuff
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 03:21:13 AM »
Update!

46. Angra – Temple of Shadows (2004)

Angra are probably a household name for anyone that is a fan of progressive power metal, and with this album, they reached their peak. Temple of Shadows is a concept album, telling the story of a crusader in the 11th century who defies the ideals of the Catholic church and is subsequently branded a heretic and flees, before starting a new religion or something like that. Quite frankly, I don’t really care, because I never got that from listening to the album, and the lyrics aren’t really the strong point of this album anyway.

No, the real gem that can be found here is the music and from the first notes of Deus Le Volt!, which segues directly into the aggressive and fast-paced riff of Spread Your Fire, to the last moments of the orchestral album summary Gate XIII, there isn’t a musically weak moment to be found here. Angra do a masterful job in combining power metal, progressive elements and traditional Brazilian music, taking the best from each world and melding it into a potpourri of awesomeness – the best example for this is the longest track, The Shadow Hunter.

As this is a power metal album, of course the main focus lies on the guitars, but every member of the band does a fantastic job, and even though the lyrics aren’t really all that innovative, deep or exciting, the vocal melodies are nothing short of amazing either. Some well-known guest vocalists such as Kai Hansen and Hansi Kürsch round the whole thing off, but they probably wouldn’t even have been needed.

All in all, a fantastic album and definitely one of the best power metal albums that I have ever heard.

Recommended tracks: The Temple of Hate, The Shadow Hunter, No Pain for the Dead, Morning Star

45. King Diamond – Abigail (1987)

From the devilishly distorted words of Funeral, the opening track to the last second of Black Horsemen, this album emanates an angry, evil vibe like no other album that I know – King Diamond’s voice is truly incredible in that aspect. No other album, however, that he has sung on (at least, that I know of, as I have not yet listened to all Mercyful Fate and King Diamond albums) is, in my opinion, quite as well-crafted as Abigail is. Of course, the storyline does sound rather laughable on its own, but when it is accompanied by the music, then the tale becomes scarier than many horror movies that I have seen (which is, admittedly, not a lot).

The drumming is spot on, the guitars pack quite a punch and the soloing is top notch, but it is King Diamond’s voice that sounds like straight out of hell that makes this album so great, especially his ability to shift from growling to screaming at lightning speeds, without making it sound forced in any way. The musical creativity is there in heaps as well; just listen to the amount of awesome riffs that can be found in The Family Ghost alone.

I suspect that many of you already know this album, but those who don’t, get it now. You won’t regret it.

Recommended tracks: Arrival, The Family Ghost, The 7th of July 1777, Black Horsemen

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:30:39 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 03:28:05 AM »
Alright, one more to listen to.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30:46 AM »
Which one of the two do you mean?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
Abigail. So far the only one I don't know in your list.
Squ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 04:36:06 AM »
Abigail is awesome. The Eye is slightly better. I like some Angra but not got this one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 04:36:25 AM »
Good to see Abigail on another list, perfect metal.  That Angra album is good, but I prefer quite a few of their other albums over it.  Although, Waiting Silence is their best song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:03 AM »
Out of interest: which Angra albums do you two prefer over Temple of Shadows?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 04:49:46 AM »
Rebirth, Angels Cry and AC.  Temple was good, but it just never clicked with me as it seemed to with most.

Abigail is awesome. The Eye is slightly better. I like some Angra but not got this one.

I like this appreciation of The Eye, really great album and one of King's most underrated, awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 05:02:55 AM »
Out of interest: which Angra albums do you two prefer over Temple of Shadows?

I've got Angel's Cry and Fireworks which are both very good albums. I wouldn't say I prefer it over ToS as I haven't heard it. Heading to Spotify as it sounds like I will like it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 06:31:29 AM »
Angra :2metal:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »
Abigail is great.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Dark Stuff Incoming
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
I have nothing to do atm, so here's the next installment. Tell me if I'm going to fast.

44. Green Carnation – Light of Day, Day of Darkness (2002)

If someone came to me and asked me for dark and dreary music, that is long without feeling lengthy, this is the album that I would pick up and give them. This album is a sixty-minute, one-track ride through the darkness, with heavy and soft moments all over the place, yet creating a feeling of a perfectly coherent track all the same.

The song starts calmly, before going into some heavy riffage, which is cleverly alternated with some calm parts until around the thirty-minute mark. Then we come to a very ethereal part of the song, with the vocals becoming the centre of the listener’s attention. Even though there aren’t any real lyrics in this part, only sounds, this part exudes raw emotion in a way that few other albums that I now could ever manage.

And then, the true climax of the song, around the forty-minute mark: the guitar solo. This solo is long, melodic, it has faster and slower bits, yet never feels forced or showy just for the sake of it. Really, this is exactly how a guitar solo should be. After that, we are treated some more musical goodness, including great riffs, bass licks, gorgeous female vocals and acoustic guitars before the song comes to its close.

All in all, this album is nothing short of an incredible musical journey, going pretty much everywhere that is not happy or positive. It may take a few listens to click, so don’t be disheartened if you don’t like it on your first listen – it is really, truly worth it.

Recommended tracks: :neverusethis:

43. Stratovarius – Dreamspace (1994)

Just as the previous pick, this album is fucking dark. Not as dark as Green Carnation, that’s true, but it is still the single-handedly darkest album in Stratovarius’ whole discography, and while most Stratovarius albums are pretty awesome, the haunting atmosphere of this album is something that has always made it a favourite of mine.

A short word regarding the production: the production of this albums isn’t the best that Stratovarius has to offer, with the whole thing sounding somewhat cold and a little dry (I’m not really that good in describing this kind of stuff, so this is the best that I can do in describing it), but with this album, it really works and I wouldn’t have it any other way. In fact, the rather sparse production of the album even furthers the haunting atmosphere of this album.

Now, after a word to the icing on the Dreamspace cake, let’s take a look at the cake itself – and there’s really no other way to say this than that this cake is fucking delicious. The songs themselves are great, with Timo Tolkki easily being the central man of this album, both his vocals and his guitars dominating the record. Unlike later Stratovarius records, the keyboard doesn’t really have a lead role, but is rather used in a atmospheric way, leaving the guitar to do all the leads, something that Tolkki does brilliantly – a great example of this is Atlantis, a one-minute track featuring only keyboards and acoustic guitars.

My favourite track off this album is probably Abyss, with the main riff and the chorus being one of the catchiest that Stratovarius have ever written, while never sounding poppy in any form – but really, most, if not all tracks on this album, range from very good to excellent.

Recommended tracks: Eyes of the World, Dreamspace, Atlantis, Abyss, Full Moon

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:53:28 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Scorpion's Top 50 Albums v. Dark Stuff Incoming
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
You seem rather negative in your reviews for a list that should contain your 50 favourite albums :lol
Again, nothing new for me, Light of Day is amazing, but I can't say the same of that Stratovarius album. It's good, but not good enough for a #43 place.
Squ