Author Topic: Green Day Frontman Goes nuts when band's set gets cut  (Read 6085 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Green Day Frontman Goes nuts when band's set gets cut
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
I still say I don't blame him for being pissed off.

I mean, there are lots of better ways he could have handled it (I personally think it would be awesome to say, "Okay, let us just finish this song," and then just reprise the chorus of that song until they have either played their full set time or been physically removed from stage by security), but I don't blame him for losing his temper.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »

I mean, there are lots of better ways he could have handled it (I personally think it would be awesome to say, "Okay, let us just finish this song," and then just reprise the chorus of that song until they have either played their full set time or been physically removed from stage by security), but I don't blame him for losing his temper.

That would have been awesome.  :rollin :rollin
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
Lol at the shallow types in here acting like monetary success strips a punk band of all of its cred.

The monetary success in this case is simply the result of a the "punk" band losing all of its cred.

How so?

Part of being punk was essentially giving a middle finger to the established system. Green Day are clearly part of the established system, making songs that appear in movie sound tracks, commercials, etc and playing huge events like this. Being punk should pretty much exclude you from doing certain things like that.

Its something unpredictable, but in the end its right
:clap:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
What he did was fine. He used his time on stage and made a rant. He didn't hurt anybody or break any property other than his own guitar. The crowd went nuts for him and probably had a good time. It's unprofessional, but who cares? No one got hurt, the schedule didn't get screwed up, Usher didn't get raped, and nothing really changed in the slightest bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
Green Day have never had any real punk cred, and have always been the laughing stock of people who liked punk and went to punk shows before the big dogs of the American recording industry started marketing Green Day as a "punk" band.

Even the old stuff is relatively agreeable "pop-punk" at best.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »

That would have been awesome.  :rollin :rollin

Indeed :lol

Lol at the shallow types in here acting like monetary success strips a punk band of all of its cred.

The monetary success in this case is simply the result of a the "punk" band losing all of its cred.

How so?

Part of being punk was essentially giving a middle finger to the established system. Green Day are clearly part of the established system, making songs that appear in movie sound tracks, commercials, etc and playing huge events like this. Being punk should pretty much exclude you from doing certain things like that.

Its something unpredictable, but in the end its right

You have won this thread son  :rollin
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

I would've been pissed as well. Plus he was most likely on something, igniting his reaction.

Still doesn't hinder it is the Iheartmusic fest
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
Usher didn't get raped

Uhhhh, link?

Green Day have never had any real punk cred, and have always been the laughing stock of people who liked punk and went to punk shows before the big dogs of the American recording industry started marketing Green Day as a "punk" band.

Not true at all. In my teens I knew shitloads of punk fans that liked them quite well and in the punk crowd at that time there were far more folks that liked them than there were folks who didn't. These were actual punk fans too because there were virtually no "pop punk" fans in the mid 90s at all because that movement didn't even start until Blink 182 and other lameness like them became popular around '99. B182 got airplay in '98 with Dammit but they were basically just another face in the top 40 crowd until more of their singles gained momentum for them.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
:heart Green Day and at least BJA is not Axl Rose.

If I recall correctly - GD have cancelled a total of three or four gigs since they started.

Staged or not - It's 2012 now and the world of promotion and marketing has changed from simply putting out singles and then an album like back in the mid 90s or whatever.

Plus the old saying - all publicity is good publicity.

This will likely be forgotten by the time Tre! comes out anyway...

I still love the band and iUno! Is a brilliant album IMO :)

+ Furthermore : I don't consider Green Day " Punk " anymore - and neither do they.

BJA has repeatedly said that they're not punk - just influenced by it and it's what they keep going back to.

To me they're a Rock n Roll Band with a punk aesthetic / inspiration.

Offline farsight

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »
I feel worse for his guitar tech, you know, the dude who embarassingly picks  up all the pieces of the guitars he smashed on the stage and puts it all back together.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »

See I used to think so as well but when I heavily got into bands like The Clash and Sex Pistols I found that I can very easily classify the genre they're playing as the same thing Green Day is doing most of the time. Even a bit of The Misfits as well. All bands I'm a fan of btw.

Not true at all. In my teens I knew shitloads of punk fans that liked them quite well and in the punk crowd at that time there were far more folks that liked them than there were folks who didn't. These were actual punk fans too because there were virtually no "pop punk" fans in the mid 90s at all because that movement didn't even start until Blink 182 and other lameness like them became popular around '99. B182 got airplay in '98 with Dammit but they were basically just another face in the top 40 crowd until more of their singles gained momentum for them.

BF is correctamondo.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:45:40 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
I myself maintain my usual opinion, which is that I don't give a fuck about genres and I like Green Day whether they are considered punk, pop-punk, or pre-post-eventual-punkish-jazz.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »
I love their music. End of.

Have done since 1994 and as far as I can recall - they hardly ever have any of this level of scandal.

They pretty much just get on with it.

Not like other bands that are always in the news doing shit like this on a weekly basis.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2012, 08:43:07 AM »
Quote from: Cracked
You've undoubtedly seen the video by now, but just in case you haven't, take a look at Green Day front man Billie Joe Armstrong losing his mind at a recent show in Las Vegas ...

To the untrained eye, that might look the greatest act of rock and roll rebellion since Kurt Cobain wore a dress on Headbanger's Ball. But the truth is, it's the exact opposite. What you're seeing is one of the saddest, least punk rock moments in rock history. Here's why ...
#3. "I've been around since 1988!"

The problems started when Usher, who was on the bill that night, because of course he was, reportedly played a set that went 25 minutes over his previously agreed upon time. This led to Green Day's set being shortened by 25 minutes which then triggered the ensuing chaos. And why wouldn't it? Like Billie Joe says in his tirade, he's been around since the late 1980s. A relative newcomer like Usher hasn't put in the man hours necessary to push a rock legend like Billie Joe Armstrong off the stage, right?

Wrong. In fact, Usher started making music in 1987, just like Green Day. He released his first album independently in 1991.

That's a mere one year later than Green Day's debut album was released. When Green Day was taking over the world in 1994, Usher was still getting by on the strength of accomplishments like being the youngest performer on the Poetic Justice soundtrack. You might remember that as a movie that starred Janet Jackson and Tupac. Read that again slowly. It had Tupac in it. He died in 1996. That was sixteen years ago.

It's fine to feel disrespected because your time gets cut short, but don't be a disrespectful dick in the process by implying that rest of the people on the bill somehow deserve it less just because you're the old man in the room.
#2. "I'm not Justin Bieber you motherfuckers!"

That's what Billie Joe screams at one point as he's railing against the massive slap in the face that is being told you only have one minute left to play. Also, let's give style points where they're due for his ability to weave the word "fuck" into the same word twice. But he's wrong about all of that "I'm not Justin Bieber" talk, because unless we're seeing something in this video that the rest of the world is not ...

... it seems as if his band was just introduced by Demi Lovato and fucking A.C. Slater to the delight of an audience full of tweens. You might not be Justin Bieber per se, but agreeing to play the IHeartRadio Festival in between Usher and Rihanna at the very least qualifies as "Essence of Bieber" or something. The band has basically agreed to play in a glorified smartphone app commercial. For the record, that app is owned by Clear Channel, which you should recognize as the premier name in music business awfulness.

So that's who Billie Joe and team were playing for. Clear Channel. You don't take a gig like that unless you're shooting for a certain level of pop stardom. Using a guitar to get there instead of dance moves does not make you some kind of rebel. You're just a top 40 artist like any other.
#1. "I have a problem!"

And now, the Green Day camp has gone on record to apologize for the incident while also absolving Clear Channel of any alleged set cut short-ing. Furthermore, Billie Joe Armstrong is going to rehab.

It's the same pathetic ploy every "A-list" celebrity trots out when they've finally gone and done something unspeakably stupid like this. And now, Billie Joe Armstrong has joined those ranks. Was he really drunk onstage? If this performance from earlier in the show is any indication, then he sure as shit was ...

... but so what? People drink before going onstage and while onstage every single night and it's been that way for as long as anyone can remember. Billie Joe Armstrong didn't make an ass of himself because he was drunk. He made an ass of himself because he doesn't realize that he is the exact thing that he spent his 15 minutes or so on stage crying about ... a rich, entitled pop singer who wouldn't be where he is today without the help of a bunch of music industry suits.

Read more: 3 Ways Green Day Just Had the Least Punk Rock Meltdown Ever | Cracked.com https://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/3-ways-green-day-just-had-least-punk-rock-meltdown-ever/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CrackedRSS+%28Cracked%3A+All+Posts%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher#ixzz27Uc2zmjg
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
I bet Cracked has an article called

" Why Axl Rose is absolutely in the right for delaying gigs for two hours or not showing up at all. "

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2012, 06:25:17 PM »
It really is all opinions, honestly I say kudos to BJA, and I need to get Uno! actually.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »
Quote from: Cracked
You've undoubtedly seen the video by now, but just in case you haven't, take a look at Green Day front man Billie Joe Armstrong losing his mind at a recent show in Las Vegas ...

To the untrained eye, that might look the greatest act of rock and roll rebellion since Kurt Cobain wore a dress on Headbanger's Ball. But the truth is, it's the exact opposite. What you're seeing is one of the saddest, least punk rock moments in rock history. Here's why ...
#3. "I've been around since 1988!"

The problems started when Usher, who was on the bill that night, because of course he was, reportedly played a set that went 25 minutes over his previously agreed upon time. This led to Green Day's set being shortened by 25 minutes which then triggered the ensuing chaos. And why wouldn't it? Like Billie Joe says in his tirade, he's been around since the late 1980s. A relative newcomer like Usher hasn't put in the man hours necessary to push a rock legend like Billie Joe Armstrong off the stage, right?

Wrong. In fact, Usher started making music in 1987, just like Green Day. He released his first album independently in 1991.

That's a mere one year later than Green Day's debut album was released. When Green Day was taking over the world in 1994, Usher was still getting by on the strength of accomplishments like being the youngest performer on the Poetic Justice soundtrack. You might remember that as a movie that starred Janet Jackson and Tupac. Read that again slowly. It had Tupac in it. He died in 1996. That was sixteen years ago.

It's fine to feel disrespected because your time gets cut short, but don't be a disrespectful dick in the process by implying that rest of the people on the bill somehow deserve it less just because you're the old man in the room.
#2. "I'm not Justin Bieber you motherfuckers!"

That's what Billie Joe screams at one point as he's railing against the massive slap in the face that is being told you only have one minute left to play. Also, let's give style points where they're due for his ability to weave the word "fuck" into the same word twice. But he's wrong about all of that "I'm not Justin Bieber" talk, because unless we're seeing something in this video that the rest of the world is not ...

... it seems as if his band was just introduced by Demi Lovato and fucking A.C. Slater to the delight of an audience full of tweens. You might not be Justin Bieber per se, but agreeing to play the IHeartRadio Festival in between Usher and Rihanna at the very least qualifies as "Essence of Bieber" or something. The band has basically agreed to play in a glorified smartphone app commercial. For the record, that app is owned by Clear Channel, which you should recognize as the premier name in music business awfulness.

So that's who Billie Joe and team were playing for. Clear Channel. You don't take a gig like that unless you're shooting for a certain level of pop stardom. Using a guitar to get there instead of dance moves does not make you some kind of rebel. You're just a top 40 artist like any other.
#1. "I have a problem!"

And now, the Green Day camp has gone on record to apologize for the incident while also absolving Clear Channel of any alleged set cut short-ing. Furthermore, Billie Joe Armstrong is going to rehab.

It's the same pathetic ploy every "A-list" celebrity trots out when they've finally gone and done something unspeakably stupid like this. And now, Billie Joe Armstrong has joined those ranks. Was he really drunk onstage? If this performance from earlier in the show is any indication, then he sure as shit was ...

... but so what? People drink before going onstage and while onstage every single night and it's been that way for as long as anyone can remember. Billie Joe Armstrong didn't make an ass of himself because he was drunk. He made an ass of himself because he doesn't realize that he is the exact thing that he spent his 15 minutes or so on stage crying about ... a rich, entitled pop singer who wouldn't be where he is today without the help of a bunch of music industry suits.

Read more: 3 Ways Green Day Just Had the Least Punk Rock Meltdown Ever | Cracked.com https://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/3-ways-green-day-just-had-least-punk-rock-meltdown-ever/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CrackedRSS+%28Cracked%3A+All+Posts%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher#ixzz27Uc2zmjg
:rollin
perfect!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
BJA was right to get pissed, but most of that Cracked article is pretty much on the money.

I bet Cracked has an article called

" Why Axl Rose is absolutely in the right for delaying gigs for two hours or not showing up at all. "
I know this is just a facetious comment, but Cracked usually rips Axhole Rose to shreds and rightfully so.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »
It really is all opinions, honestly I say kudos to BJA, and I need to get Uno! actually.

Right - this will pass and Uno! will still be a great album.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
BJA was right to get pissed, but most of that Cracked article is pretty much on the money.

They are right cause Green Day agreed to appear in such festival to begin with, but to compare them to Usher was weird and out of place, Armstrong didn't reference Usher at all, not with blame or nothing.
Reminders of show awful we're getting if a guy who's been in the music business since 1988 witha fan base that nevger declined and had never been an "erratic rock star" of any sort is compared to natural born scumbags like Axl Rose and Fred Durst now because of this.

Went a long distance out of my way today to pick it up at Best Buy. I like it a lot, it sounds fresh and a nice throw back to some easy listening music and lyrics after all the religious and political symbolism and depth of the last two albums. Uno feels like a natural progression from Warning IMO, it's the album I was expecting in 2004 but they mind fucked us with AI instead heh, pleasantly so :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
to compare them to Usher was weird and out of place, Armstrong didn't reference Usher at all, not with blame or nothing.

Well, it said their set was cut to give Usher more time to play.  That'd be where he came in.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:08 AM »
I'd say Usher has the one-up on Green Day. I mean, he's a talented pop icon posturing as... a talented pop icon. Unlike a corporate rock band posturing as punk legend.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
Green Day are punk legends to me and a whole lot of people, bypassing the punk "must not make money" laws; they always had the attitude and edge musically and lyrically that went parallel to their soft pop rock side. I think the only difference between Green Day and The Clash at their time is the mean spirit of the interwebs.
Is the Usher the singing topless in the rain guy? I was talking to a co-working about this and completely couldn't recall his face. I also found out from him that Justin Bieber's last name is pronounced Bee-ber and not Bye-ber.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
Well Byeber doesn't rhyme with fever very well.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
neither did Beatle and mania.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey