Author Topic: Green Day Frontman Goes nuts when band's set gets cut  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Green Day Frontman Goes nuts when band's set gets cut
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
No one said making short songs was wrong.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »
Everyone on the internet is saying he "went nuts"....not really. It's not exactly the best way to react but it's not really a meltdown either. It's just a punk rocker being a punk. (Yeah yeah, I know). I don't think this situation is a big deal.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
It's apparently a big deal among Justin Bieber fans on youtube as they wish there was a Green Day embassy so they can go burn it heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »
It's apparently a big deal among Justin Bieber fans on youtube as they wish there was a Green Day embassy so they can go burn it heh
:facepalm:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »
BELIEBERS UNITE
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »
WHO HATH SUMMONED ME?

Oh shit...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 08:48:13 PM »
What a basket case.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »
What a basket case.

:lol

I can understand the frustration though.  When you're as big as Green Day, and your set is cut short for someone else to play longer, and you're given no notice of it?  That's incredibly unprofessional at that level and he had every right to get pissed, even if it sounded like a middle school temper tantrum.  Hopefully his anger issues will manifest in a more mature way once he kicks whatever he's been abusing. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 11:56:08 PM »
It wasn't a publicity stunt, they cancelled an intimate concert coming up in SF next Friday. They do one in the area every time they release an album and are a very big deal to the band to do them for the hometown crowd.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »
Watching this led to watching some of their live performances. Turns out they're a cool live band.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jammindude

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
I'm sorry...but...I can't believe you guys!

Is it unprofessional...yes.

THEY ARE A PUNK BAND!!!

If Sid Vicious were alive today, what do you think he would have done in the same situation???  What about Kurt Cobain? 

Yes, I realize that it's practically sacrilege to compare Billy Joe to Sid Vicious or Kurt...but hey, that is their aspiration, isn't it? 

This is the most 'punk' thing they've done since Dookie.   In an age where destroying a set and smashing your instruments has become cliche, these guys did something that hasn't been done in a very long time...smashed up the stage for a pretty damn good reason!  They got their set cut in half so some top 40, diamond wearing, flashy, cliche, manufactured pop star could cut into *THEIR* allotted time!!

In reality, I don't condone the behavior.   I'm just a little surprised that so many people are dogging them for their "lack of professionalism"....you guys sound like a bunch of freakin PANSIES!!!!!

:loser:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »
While I don't really have a problem with what they did, Green Day aren't really a punk band as much as they are a band who plays pop/punk music. I mean they're professional businessmen at this point. The "punk" attitude left them as soon as they went corporate with their stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 03:48:01 AM »
I can understand why he is pissed off... definitely wouldn't have gone about it that way though. On a side note, I just realized the main singer looks kind of like Jim Bruer (comedian from Half Baked). Anyone else agree?  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 04:44:07 AM »
Compared to most of the posts in this thread, I really don't see what's so bad about what Billie Joe did here.  Yeah, he shouldn't have abused everyone, but hey that's rock and roll.  He was just letting off steam and if he was cut short for Usher and acts like that, I would be pissed too, especially since they are a band who have worked hard over the years to establish themselves, where as that can't really be said for a lot of the other acts there.

An up and coming band an act like this would kill their career, but this is Green Day, this outburst won't really make a difference to their career.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »
This is the most 'punk' thing they've done since Dookie.
I've always wondered how much "punk" you can honestly be as a millionaire? :lol Millionaire + Punk = Not a Match!

Anyway: I :heart Dookie!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 06:11:04 AM »
painfully fake.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:41 AM »
*snip*

I think everyone so far has called the venue/festival "unprofessional" and the tantrum "childish." :P

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 06:17:58 AM »
While I don't really have a problem with what they did, Green Day aren't really a punk band as much as they are a band who plays pop/punk music. I mean they're professional businessmen at this point. The "punk" attitude left them as soon as they went corporate with their stuff.

Yep.  I'm not a punk fan, but I've never got the impression that many people who are fans of punk consider Green Day a legitimate punk band.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »
That awkward moment when you realize you're not a punk hero, but a disposable pop icon, and no-one cares  :-\

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »
That awkward moment when you realize you're not a punk hero, but a disposable pop icon, and no-one cares  :-\
Ouch :lol

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »

That reminds me of a song that this forum should know well:

Strike up your best angst ridden posture, whoa
Manufactured anger
Let's not forget my legacy
All my heroes have failed me
Now they're dead and buried yeah
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

You're awesome.  :tup :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
Yeah it's around the same moment you start passing illogical judgments on successful rock stars to feel better about your own life.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »
Jammindude nailed it.  I've never had a problem with their music, but I've never liked them. They're Disney-punk.  They're completely safe and non-threatening, which is the complete antithesis of what punk should be.  This is the first thing I've seen from them that gives me any reason to like them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
Yeah it's around the same moment you start passing illogical judgments on successful rock stars to feel better about your own life.

:lol Awww...

I think it's cute your coming to the man-child's rescue. Someone has to.

I'm gonna go back to feeling all bad about myself cause Green Day is doing great things in life while I spend my days jacking off to the artwork of Dookie.  :metal  :police:

My reality: I thought it was a funny video and could not possibly give less of a shit about whether they (he?) live(s) or die(s). Least of all whether they(he) play(ssssssnakey snake) a full set or if what's-his-face(wutz-dey-faces) goes bonkers. It was enjoyable.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Jammindude nailed it.  I've never had a problem with their music, but I've never liked them. They're Disney-punk.  They're completely safe and non-threatening, which is the complete antithesis of what punk should be.  This is the first thing I've seen from them that gives me any reason to like them.

US punk has always been that way though, IMHO. I remember coming from Europe and seeing the first few punks in New York and thinking, "wtf. They're wearing designer punk outfits".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »

US punk has always been that way though, IMHO. I remember coming from Europe and seeing the first few punks in New York and thinking, "wtf. They're wearing designer punk outfits".

Thats why playing not giving a fuck about Ushers set time is more Punk.

What he did just screams, not news pop star whines at show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »
Lol at the shallow types in here acting like monetary success strips a punk band of all of its cred.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

:lol Awww...

I think it's cute your coming to the man-child's rescue. Someone has to.

I'm gonna go back to feeling all bad about myself cause Green Day is doing great things in life while I spend my days jacking off to the artwork of Dookie.  :metal  :police:

My reality: I thought it was a funny video and could not possibly give less of a shit about whether they (he?) live(s) or die(s). Least of all whether they(he) play(ssssssnakey snake) a full set or if what's-his-face(wutz-dey-faces) goes bonkers. It was enjoyable.

I'm not coming to his rescue, I'm just telling it the way I see it.
The rest of this is pretty much more nonsensical gibberish so have it with one more post like it if it makes you think you "showed me" badass :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
Lol at the shallow types in here acting like monetary success strips a punk band of all of its cred.

The monetary success in this case is simply the result of a the "punk" band losing all of its cred.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
They're Disney-punk. 
I prefer the term bubblegum punk.

Some of their songs are okay though, and some are even pretty good.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »

The monetary success in this case is simply the result of a the "punk" band losing all of its cred.

How so?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Adami

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »

How so?

Part of being punk was essentially giving a middle finger to the established system. Green Day are clearly part of the established system, making songs that appear in movie sound tracks, commercials, etc and playing huge events like this. Being punk should pretty much exclude you from doing certain things like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »

How so?

Part of being punk was essentially giving a middle finger to the established system. Green Day are clearly part of the established system, making songs that appear in movie sound tracks, commercials, etc and playing huge events like this. Being punk should pretty much exclude you from doing certain things like that.

Its something unpredictable, but in the end its right
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD