Author Topic: Green Day Frontman Goes nuts when band's set gets cut  (Read 6088 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Green Day Frontman Goes nuts when band's set gets cut
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:56:45 AM »
I'm not really a fan of this band, but I found this story to be pretty interesting:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/22/billie-joe-armstrong-iheartradio-festival-green-day_n_1905943.html

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Green Day Frontman Goes nuts when band's set gets cut
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:04:38 AM »
"I got one minute, one minute left, oh now I got nothing left.......now I got nothing left......let me show you what one fucking minute fucking......."  *Smashes guitar*

:rollin

I love how Mike sees Billy start smashing his guitar and immediately does the same thing.

Entertaining.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
What a douche.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
"In the profanity-laced tirade, Armstrong points out that he's been around since 1988 and implies he deserves more than what the band received."

Ehhh, not so sure about that.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
Had the authenticity of a pro wrestler's tirade, although more entertaining.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »
I'll even use a dirty word, I'll even write a mean song, I'll even take a mean picture 'Cause I've got the hair for it!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
"In the profanity-laced tirade, Armstrong points out that he's been around since 1988 and implies he deserves more than what the band received."

Ehhh, not so sure about that.

Dunno, man.  They got cut short for Usher.  I think that lends some credibility to his tirade whether you like Green Day or not. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
Had he not so horrendously overused the F word it would have had more impact. Also, very interesting that the band apparently only consists of him. He didn't use the word "we" once.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
That was painful to watch. Maybe they really got screwed over something, I find it hard to believe that Anderson is such a douche.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:29:39 AM »
He's called Armstrong, and I have absolutely no problem believing that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
I don't blame him.  Having your set cut by 20 minutes so someone else could get more time?  Yeah, that's a bit bullshit.

And yeah, Armstrong has always been a bit of a douche.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
I don't blame him.  Having your set cut by 20 minutes so someone else could get more time?  Yeah, that's a bit bullshit.

I blame him. It fucking blows what happened to them, but BEING FUCKING AROUND SINCE 1988 and all should mean that he's learned some fucking professionalism by now. I mean fucking fucking fuck fuck he needs to not act like a fucking baby and enjoy the fucking exposure a festival like that gave him... I mean fucking Greenday.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »

I blame him. It fucking blows what happened to them, but BEING FUCKING AROUND SINCE 1988 and all should mean that he's learned some fucking professionalism by now. I mean fucking fucking fuck fuck he needs to not act like a fucking baby and enjoy the fucking exposure a festival like that gave him... I mean fucking Greenday.
:lol
I don't blame him for being pissed and ranting about it, but there's no doubt what he said made him sound... douchey and entitled.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »

:lol :rollin :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
I liked the bit where he said fuck.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
It is the IheartRADIO festival afterall. So not really surprised, too bad they couldn't just kept on playing until someone pulled the plug.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
"They give me one fucking minute?!? You gotta be fucking kiddin' me! You're fucking kiddin me! What the fuck!?! I'm not fucking Justin BieberNapalm Death, you motherfuckers!"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
I dunno, you give Green Day a 40 minute set, that's what, about 12 or so songs?  :lol

(Don't remind me that they did a couple of nine minute long songs, they were both four two minute songs welded together.  :laugh: )
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
This could be the most "punk" thing Green Day has ever done.

:angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
He needs to grow up. I've played tons of shows and have had my set cut short plenty of times. If he's been around since 1988 and hasn't ever had a set cut short then he is the luckiest musician alive till now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
I dunno, you give Green Day a 40 minute set, that's what, about 12 or so songs?  :lol

^^Wins Thread^^

:lol I was thinking hey they gave him a minute that's at least two more Green Day songs.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »
This would be so metal if it was Dave Mustaine

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »
NEW YORK (AP) — Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong is headed to treatment for substance abuse.

Sunday's announcement by the band's rep comes after the 40-year-old frontman had a meltdown onstage at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas on Friday. As Green Day was wrapping up its performance during the all-star, two-day concert, Armstrong profanely complained that the band's time was being cut short.
https://music.yahoo.com/news/rep-green-days-armstrong-getting-treatment-184919287.html

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
So, wait a minute.. This man is more than twice my age and fails to complain in a way that would actually make sense. As in, not saying 'fucking' between every word like a teenager would do? I can see they're trying to be a 'punk band', but the commercial succes they have had has led them away from their roots for a long time. It doesn't fucking make any fucking sense at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »
Anyone else think it may have been a deliberate stunt in order to raise awareness of their new album, which comes out on the 21st? More people will hear about what Green Day/Billie Joe did, and then eventually read articles that say "Green Day's new album was released on September 21st", etc. etc. etc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 03:08:05 PM »
This reminded me of a teenage kid on a temper tantrum.

It is the IheartRADIO festival afterall. So not really surprised, too bad they couldn't just kept on playing until someone pulled the plug.
That's what they should have done. And then smashed their guitars. Definitely would have drove the point home from a view that didn't need to include a teenage-like tirade.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »
Anyone else think it may have been a deliberate stunt in order to raise awareness of their new album, which comes out on the 21st? More people will hear about what Green Day/Billie Joe did, and then eventually read articles that say "Green Day's new album was released on September 21st", etc. etc. etc.

-Marc.

If it were, he should have at least mentioned the release and not make an asshole out of himself.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

-Marc.

If it were, he should have at least mentioned the release and not make an asshole out of himself.
If he didn't make an asshole out of himself, it wouldn't be a story.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 03:21:22 PM »

-Marc.

If he didn't make an asshole out of himself, it wouldn't be a story.

True - it wouldn't be a publicity stunt if it wasn't something outrageous. If he had just mentioned the album release, it would just be him plugging his new album. Instead, he creates a headline that draws attention to the band that, in effect, raises awareness of their recent work as, fortunately enough for the band, many writers of articles seem to include.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
While it's possible it was a publicity stunt, I'd say it's rather hard to say that every time a musician becomes a penis on stage that it's a publicity stunt. Unless you also want to say that the St. Louis riots from the Guns n Roses show was just a publicity stunt to plug Chinese Democracy 20 years later.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
I have seen way better rants...  Bet there will be a song about this on the next green day album.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »
I don't know man, I mean, they already have the next two albums done and ready to go from what I've heard. Uno Dos Tre!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
Cocaine, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
It's not a publicity stunt for three reasons, the first being that their album's pre-order sales is already sky high a week ago according to amazon and the second being that the festival would have to be in on it to cut Green Day's set short like that and allow the camera to turn to the monitor that said 1 minute left, I don't think it's cool for a festival to be known to change plans or set duration on a band while they're playing. The third and last thing that makes the publicity stunt unlikely is that Armtstrong has checked into rehab today and they had to cancel a bunch of tour dates, this is going a bit too far for a publicity stunt IMO.
Another thing that won't count cause I can't prove it is how unlike Green Day a publicity stunt in that form is, I have been a fan of this band since 1998 and they have never been nothing but honest and straight forward with their fans and this is highly uncharacteristic of them.
I know the general vibe here is to disrespect bands who make a lot of money from making simple music but even with the prog snobbery of that vibe Green Day have always been an exception cause they have kept some standard to work they put into their music and lyrics. Among their genre of punk rockers and pop rock; they are the most decent, creative and original.
Now a word against them would be that over the last 3 years Armstrong's drinking problems have been getting out of hand and I'm not sure if "checked into rehab for substance abuse" mean drugs or alcohol but either way the guy really has a problem currently and the way he handled this situation on stage was completely uncalled for and childish.
I do not understand how making short songs is wrong so I can't really comment on that part  ::)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.