Author Topic: The single most influential singer/songwriter in American music  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
The single most influential singer/songwriter in American music
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »
If you had to pick one person, who do you think would be the most influential singer/songwriter in American music?

I was having this discussion with some other friends, and wanted to post it here to see what people would say.

For me, the title easily goes to Bob Dylan.

A few months ago, President Obama called Bob Dylan this while awarding him the Medal of Freedom. As a big Dylan fan, I'm inclined to agree.

Dylan started in the early 60's by bringing folk music, which often discussed issues of social relevance, to mainstream America. From this spawned a myriad of admirers, copycats (Donovan), and ensembles, like Peter Paul & Mary, who would play "nice" versions of Dylan songs, i.e. "Blowing in the Wind" or "The Times They Are A'Changing". There was a folk music movement in the early 60's, with Dylan at the center. By 1965, he'd turned his back on all that and written what many fans consider to be his two best albums, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde, where he was among the first artists to combine hard rock with complex, philosophical, and deeply metaphorical lyrics. "Like a Rolling Stone" became an iconic song representing just how quickly the idealism of the 60's denigrated into bitter cynicism, paving the way for the harder-edged 70's. There's a quote somewhere that goes something like, "the Beatles proved rock could be art; Dylan proved it could be poetry." And that I think is the most rewarding characteristic of Dylan's music of all-- he's always been an average singer and average guitar player, but his songs and specifically his lyrics never fail to resonate with listeners.

Dylan changed after the 60's. He got married, kicked heroine, had kids, became a recluse and released a series of rustic and heavily country/western-influenced albums. While not usually considered his best period of work, some of his most enduring songs, like "Knocking on Heaven's Door" and "All Along The Watchtower", come from this era, later made famous by Guns 'n Roses and Jimi Hendrix, respectively. He's also wrote "Forever Young" for his son, which is a nice song a lot of people like. Then, by the mid 70s, his marriage had gone to shit. Dylan went back to the road. Amid his divorce, he wrote Blood on the Tracks, which is almost a case-study on love and heartache in musical form and what many consider to be his best work, with "Tangled Up in Blue" his best song. Jeff Buckley did a great cover of "If You See Her Say Hello" (he covered many other Dylan songs, too) And more recently, "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" has been made famous by... well.. Miley Cyrus  :lol

Dylan has been writing relevant, influential music for 5 decades now, and he shows no signs of stopping. There are certainly a myriad of other highly influential artists from the 60's, just as there are certainly (several) weak spots in Dylan's 35-studio album discography. But, among them, Dylan was one of few was able to come out from the 60's and move on to do other things. And I can not think of one decade of music since Dylan whose greatest artists have not been influenced by his music and lyrics in some concrete way.

Offline GuineaPig

Re: The single most influential singer/songwriter in American music
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Elvis would be up there.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »
The timing of this thread is funny, as my brother was just telling me last night about Dylan's new album and also referred to him as the most important musician in American history.  Not being a fan, my response was, "That doesn't say a lot for America." :P :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »
Well that partly is true. Most of my favorites are from the UK, and certainly almost all of the music I would consider to be of enduring mass influence.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
What's the point of making a thread if you end it in the OP?

Seriously though, Dylan is on top, though I may try to come up with others for the sake of argument, it's hard to deny his influence.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:29:48 AM »
Well, for me, Dylan is at the top for sure. But in the previous conversation I mentioned, people didn't seem to like that idea very much. Though, I thought it was pretty telling that few alternatives where mentioned (and they were all mentioned by me).

I think there could be a good case made for Elvis though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
Personally my favorite (and IMO) the most influential singer/songwriter would be Neil Young.  :hat
(yeah I'm aware that he's Canadian tho)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
Can't listen to Dylan, neither like the music nor his vocals. But I agree he is probably the most influential.

Or rather, the most ostensibly influential. There are also these "ghostwriters" that have penned myriad influential songs without ever getting the spotlight for it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
Personally my favorite (and IMO) the most influential singer/songwriter would be Neil Young.  :hat
(yeah I'm aware that he's Canadian tho)

Cool stuff about the history between Dylan and Young
https://thrasherswheat.org/jammin/dylan.htm

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Springsteen has to be up there too.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
For me it would be either Bruce Springsteen or Jeff Buckley. I am very aware that Bob Dylan might be the 'right answer' to your question, but I'm not a fan of his stuff at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
That's an interesting read regarding Dylan and Young.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
Does it have to be an american musician or can it be someone from overseas that is influential in america?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
For me it would be either Bruce Springsteen or Jeff Buckley. I am very aware that Bob Dylan might be the 'right answer' to your question, but I'm not a fan of his stuff at all.

I love Buckley's Dylan covers. "Mama You've Been On My Mind" covered by Buckley is the bees knees.

Does it have to be an american musician or can it be someone from overseas that is influential in america?
It has to be someone from the Americas.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »
If you look at the amount of stuff Dylan provided the first or the earliest prominent example of, and thus a precedent for others to follow, in modern popular music in general, it's pretty staggering.

The idea that you could elevate lyrics to the level of poetry, and arguably the entire concept of intellectually stimulating lyrics in popular music? Dylan.

In-your-face, arrogant rock star personality? Dylan.

Disregarding the need for a conventionally good singing voice, and singing in an unapologetically imperfect style? Dylan.

The concept of singer/songwriterdom? Dylan.

The idea that a popular song could be as long or short as you damn well pleased? Dylan.

Popularity via counter-culture? Dylan.

The pursuit of being traditional and contemporary simultaneously? Dylan.

He was so instrumental in the shaping of modern music, if you took him out of it, it'd unravel entirely. From wikipedia: As J. Hoberman wrote in The Village Voice, "Elvis might never have been born, but someone else would surely have brought the world rock 'n' roll. No such logic accounts for Bob Dylan."

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »
Elvis would be up there.

didnt elvis, like, have very little to do with the songwriting (much like the vast majority of mainstream pop)?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »
Elvis wasn't really a songwriter, so he doesn't count. But his voice, persona, and attitude were extremely influential. Also, I think he's been called overrated so much that he's become UNDERrated by serious music fans. Even though he didn't write the songs, he made them his own through his distinctive style.

Anyway, I guess Dylan wins. The amount of covers of his songs is testament enough to his influence.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
Errrrr......Paul McCartney anyone?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
Errrrr......Paul McCartney anyone?

Make that Paul+John, but yes. The only reason I didn't name them was because they're not American. Their influence on American music (and on music globally) was probably larger than Dylan's.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
I'd say it's probably Bob Dylan. But, not being a huge fan of his vocals and his music, my personal choice would be Bruce Springsteen.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »
Hmmm. Brian Wilson maybe. Muddy Waters? Michael Jackson? Or you could argue Diane Warren...
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
Michael Jackson
I don't know much about rock history, but MJ seems like a bigger influence than Bob Dylan, at least in top 40 stuff.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
Dylan seems to be more an iconoclast than influential, so if we're substituting influential for iconoclast I'd pick guys like Frank Zappa and Jimi Hendrix.  As for influential -- i.e., finding one's way into the musical vocabulary of later musicians -- I'd choose Chuck Berry, even though supposedly he copped some licks from earlier musicians who remain fairly anonymous.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Lots of non Americans being named here.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
Does the artist have to be American to be an influence on American music?

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
Robert Johnson would be my choice. Most influential person in blues, and blues being as important as it is...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
It'd definitely be either Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 03:46:33 PM »
Miles Davis?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
Definitely important, but he wasn't really a singer/songwriter.

Offline ApparatusUnearth

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
Michael Jackson, no question.
Dracula called and he said he's coming over tonight for you and I said okay.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
First one that came to my mind: Bob Dylan

and it's really not even close.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
Michael Jackson, no question.

Was he even a song writer though?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
Hampered a bit by a short career and untimely death but I imagine a lot of kids picked up a guitar and amp due to Buddy Holly. Of course he is not #1 or even on the short list, but he did help shape a new direction of American rock music.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »
Hampered a bit by a short career and untimely death but I imagine a lot of kids picked up a guitar and amp due to Buddy Holly. Of course he is not #1 or even on the short list, but he did help shape a new direction of American rock music.

This sort of leads me to a different question (don't worry PC, I won't try to pirate your thread). Who are the most influential musicians that aren't well known to the general public? Might be a good idea for a different thread...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Jay.Ess

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »
John Petrucci.  ;)

I'd probably have to sway with Elvis or MJ though.