Author Topic: The Artist Roulette  (Read 717 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
The Artist Roulette
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
Like song roulette, but different. A group of you of you pick artists I haven't (or have barely) heard, and send me  rounds of material from their career to try and convince me I should get into them.

Anyone think this is a good idea? I don't want to run one, but there's definitely a few artists I love that no-one else here seems to appreciate, and I'd like to participate in something like this.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Artist Roulette
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:01:14 AM »
So, we only pick one band for the whole survivor, and just send different songs each round?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »

So, we only pick one band for the whole survivor, and just send different songs each round?

Yeah, that's the idea. It's about trying to get someone into a specific artists.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »
I like the idea but it's a bit tricky. Let's say someone picks an artist and the person running the roulette doesn't like the genre or whatever. You are going to get stuck sending stuff the other person is probably not gonna like. I reckon that the game is about finding a way for the other person to like it but I think there is a chance that you won't have fun at all
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »
I like the idea.  Count me in if you do it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:11 AM »
I like it. :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
I don't think the traditional roulette setup will work well for this, because if you don't like a band the person is just stuck with them.

A suicide pool would be the way to go.  It would allow you to open the game up to more people and therefore get more bands.  Depending on how many people participate, you knock out either the lowest 20% until you have 6 or 8 people left, then knockout one person per round after that, that way you keep weeding out things that aren't clicking, and you get more from bands you like.  Of course you could also just take a set number of players as well, but what made my second roulette fun was that a bunch of people who don't normally participate in these did, so it was nice to get some new blood, and half of my final 6 were people I might not have thought to invite or choose otherwise.

That's the way I'd do it if you want to lock people into one band.  Hell, I might do that next summer if I remember.  I wouldn't want to get 8 rounds worth of a band I didn't care for.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 04:25:12 AM »
Mason could be onto something here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
Great idea, Mason. If something like this comes to pass, I'm definitely on board.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!