Author Topic: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2! AHHH IT'S OVER  (Read 23519 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2!
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
Some awesomeness in the last two updates. Dir En Grey are amazing, Uroboros and Dum Spiro Spero are among the best metal albums ever made IMO.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »
I listened to the Harmonium album. Good stuff.  :heart
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
 :tup :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Time for some classic prog!
24. Yes - Relayer (1974)

This is by far Yes' most unconventional album, mostly in the first 2 tracks. I also find it their most fun to listen to. Gates of Delirium is unquestionably one of their best, mostly thanks to the blistering instrumental section. The crashing of those automobile parts coming down is just deadly. Sound Chaser is a brilliant song guitar wise, and is just a delight to listen to. To Be Over is a beautiful track, and although I don't like it as much as the first two it makes a brilliant addition to the album. Yes' best album for sure.
Favourite tracks: Gates of Delirium, Sound Chaser
23. Genesis - Foxtrot (1972)

This album is just plain heavenly. Every song is brilliant, all in their own way. The closer is one of the most highly acclaimed prog epics of all time, and with good reason. It's literally perfect in my mind. Can-Utility and the Coastliners isn't far behind though, and fits so much beautiful material into a small space. Those two songs are the best Genesis songs in my mind, even though Can-Utility seems to be highly underrated :(. I don't know what else to say, but this album is brilliant and a must-own for any prog fan.
Favourite tracks: Supper's Ready, Can-Utility and the Coastliners

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
Amazing picks. The Gates of Delirium is my favorite Yes song, and Supper's Ready is my favorite Genesis song. I also love Can-Utility and the Coastliners. It's almost everything great about the Gabriel-era crammed into a short song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
I'm waiting for your writeup on that crazy Japanese stuff you posted in your last roulette.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2012, 01:16:12 AM »
Two prog classics.  :tup

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
Hooray for Relayer!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
I'm waiting for your writeup on that crazy Japanese stuff you posted in your last roulette.
:lol While it is totally awesome, I'm afraid it's not here. ;)
22. Converge - Jane Doe (2001)

This is an album almost no one likes immediately. Some do, but it's rare. I LOATHED this album when I first heard it. Thought it was sorta cool instrumentation mixed with the worst excuse for vocals ever, and was just all noise for the whole 45 minutes. Now I see it for it's true glory. It's another album that grabs you by the balls, it's heavy as all hell, it's incredibly intense, but also very emotional which many will overlook due to the fact the vocals are mostly RAAARARARARARARARRARAORAIHGNDIASNGUASGNASKBGAJSDGBASNG. The lyrics in the booklet are mostly not actually in the songs, but are very beautifully written nonetheless and shows that Bannon can write. So despite my undying love for this, I only recommend it if you like metal, are fine with harsh vocals, and are incredibly pissed off on the first listen. It is then you will see it for it's true beauty and will hopefully fall in love with it. Otherwise you might shun it like me. Oh, and the drumming is sexy.
Favourite tracks: Jane Doe, Heaven In Her Arms, Hell to Pay
21. Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)

Yes. This is still PT's best. Haters gonna hate. I love this album passionately and have since first listen. It's unlike any other in their discography really. It's a completely different kind of psychedelic then what came before it, and everything other than Signify (which was darker and much more trippy) that came after wasn't psychedelic at all. It's sort of an oddball in their discography, but it's a great listen. The title tracks are both flawless, and Moonloop (Improv) is a delight if you're a krautrock fan like me, and the Coda is just awesome all around. Every song on this album is perfect, and it is their best for sure. It seems to get some flak on this forum so I can't expect much agreeance, but meh.
Favourite tracks: The Sky Moves Sideways Phase One and Two, Moonloop Improv and Coda, Stars Die

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
Dude I've been meaning to check out Converge, I've heard a lot about them and they sound like they're right up my alley.  Is that the album you recommend to start with or is there one that would be better for a noob?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
Yeah, I'd go with this one. :)

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
Word

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Not much of a fan of that PT album.

I missed the Yes/Genesis update. Both excellent albums  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2012, 12:29:08 AM »
I get what you mean with Converge. First time I heard the album, I was like: "what the fuck is this?", but it grows on you.
Good update!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2012, 01:32:45 AM »
That PT album is much better without Moonloop on it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 05:36:56 AM »
Just listened to the song Jane Doe.  I've never heard of Converge before.  It was.......interesting.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, but it was seriously one of the most intense things I've listened to.  The vocals techniques are extreme and the whole mood and atmosphere is somewhat disturbing.  Don't know what to make of it, but I sort of like what they are doing.  Not something you would listen to all the time, but great intensity.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 05:41:33 AM »
That's pretty much how I feel about Converge. When I'm in the mood to listen to Jane Doe, it's an amazing album. But it is very heavy and doesn't give you much time to "breathe", so it's not an album I can put on every day, it has to be something special.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
Just listened to the song Jane Doe.  I've never heard of Converge before.  It was.......interesting.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, but it was seriously one of the most intense things I've listened to.  The vocals techniques are extreme and the whole mood and atmosphere is somewhat disturbing.  Don't know what to make of it, but I sort of like what they are doing.  Not something you would listen to all the time, but great intensity.
Yeah, it's really a true "anger" album. It gets most of it's listens when something is really bothering me.

Anyways, next update in a few. :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
20. The Mars Volta - Amputechture (2006)

I know I'm in the minority, but this will always be my favourite TMV release by a large margin. It's full of TMV's best moments, and Tetragrammaton is their best song in my opinion. They're not as explosively noisy as they are in lots of Frances the Mute, but they still play with their signature ferocity and the drumming is as brilliant as ever (especially in the aforementioned Tetragrammaton). The bass solo in the intro of Day of the Baphomets is also something new for them, but it's great. And Cedric is going higher up then ever vocalwise. Definitely their best for me.
Favourite tracks: Tetragrammaton, Meccamputechture, Viscera Eyes, Day of the Baphomets, Vicarious Atonement
19. Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand (1994)

This is an interesting album. On the surface, there's really nothing special about it. It just sounds like a nice catchy rock album played by a middle aged English teacher going through a midlife crisis and his buddies. The reason it's so amazing to me is...well...it's just that. It's a nice catchy indie rock album with lo-fi production that doesn't try too hard to make it's statement. Pretty much every song has something that sticks to you to the point where only the second listen of the full album will feel very familiar. The tracks are very short, at 20 songs with a total length of 36:35, and the longest track being 3:04. However, every song ends exactly when it needs and pretty much always leaves a hook embedded in your subconcious to reveal itself later. It really sticks with you. What also is amazing is that each song was written in about half an hour and then recorded on some of the lowest grade recording equipment you could get away with on a record. To add to the whole "don't give a fuck" feel, you can clearly hear the guitar abruptly stop in the opening track (Hardcore UFOs) which leads to the belief the guitarist dropped his pick or something. Anyways, sorry for rambling. It's weird that I have to say so much to describe such a small, simple album, but I love it lots and it's essential for any indie lover. Now I have to go listen to it again.
Favourite tracks: I Am a Scientist, Tractor Rape Chain, Buzzards and Dreadful Crows, Gold Star for Robot Boy, Echos Myron, The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory, Hardcore UFOs, Queen of Cans and Jars, Peep-Hole, A Big Fan of the Pigpen, Her Psychology Today
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:06:24 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
No discussion? Okay. :lol
18. Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (2002)

This album is kinda known for being satanic. it's 66:06 in length, 666 MB in size, and is full of backmasked messages and weird dark noises. But it's also Boards of Canada and therefore beautiful. This is their second full length release out of 3 and it is by far their darkest release. It also sounds more weathered and static-y than their other releases, which was supposedly done on purpose because "perfect music is boring". At 23 tracks, there's a lot of different tunes to be found. Ranging from the just plain beautiful (Dawn Chorus) to the just plain fucked up (A is to B as B is to C). Then the in-between, like The Devil is in the Details, which repeating riff is meant to represent 6-6-6 in some weird music theory way I can't remember the specifics of. This album is full of enough nuggets to make Octavarium seem like a Justin Bieber album, but it's wonderful. Also, if you love Salad Fingers, you'll definitely recognize Beware the Friendly Stranger :) .
Favourite tracks: Julie and Candy, Alpha and Omega, Dawn Chorus, Gyroscope, 1969
17. Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1971)

So these guys used to be my favourite band, and they're still up there. This album was their lowest ranked that made my last list, but now it's my favourite. I don't know why this came to be, but this is my favourite classic prog album. It only has 3 tracks coming in at 11:37, 10:20, and 23:04 in length, the 23 minute track being one of the earlier side-long rock tracks out there, but it is possibly one of my top 5 songs of all time. The lyrics are possibly also the best out there, and may seem incredibly pretentious to some, but are amazing. This is also their most psychedelic and weird of their great albums. If you wanna get a start on this band, I wouldn't exactly recommend this one, but if you wanna jump right into the fire then do it by all means.
Favourite tracks: All
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 06:02:44 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »
Nice to see VdGG in your list! Pawn Hearts is one of my favorite albums. It would probably be in my top 10.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
Yeah, they used to be my favourite band, but my tastes have changed drastically. They still kick serious ass though. :metal

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2012, 05:45:34 PM »
Back in the day, from 1994-1998, I was a big indie, and one of the indie bands I liked was Guided By Voices.  I saw them the summer before I started college in Pittsburgh on the Mag Earwhig! tour, and the only things I remember about it was the insanely hot blond girl and her even hotter brunette girlfriend.  It was the first real lesbien kiss I ever saw.  They put on a great show, and so did the band, so I'll always have a soft spot for GBV.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Cool! :) Didn't think you'd be a fan. :D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
16. Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)

You're probably all wondering what the hells going on since I just called the previous album my favourite classic prog album. Well for some reason I never think of PF when I think of classic prog. Not sure why. In any case, this album kicks all sorta of ass. Bookended by two short acoustic tracks that are exactly the same aside from the lyrics, but the three tracks in the middle are where it's all at. All three are top 10 PF songs for me, with Dogs being my favourite, Sheep being my 3rd, and Pigs (Three Different Ones) being somewhere else up there. This is PF at their rawest and most powerful. David Gilmour shines as always here, the lyrics kick all sorts of ass, and the outro to Sheep is one of my all-time favourite outros. The entire album is perfect and a must-listen.
Favourite tracks: Dogs, Sheep, Pigs (Three Different Ones)
15. Sigur Rós - Ágćtis byrjun (1999)

This album is one of SRs most optimistic and cheerful moments. The music is slow and relaxing as usual, but there's just a cheerful aura about it. It puts me in a really bright mood. This album, while only 14 seconds shorter than ( ), seems to go by so much quicker. There are no weak moments or overplayed sections whatsoever here, everything is as long as it should be and never overstays itself. Everything is constructed to make the perfect beautiful and bright atmosphere it is intended to make, and it's all perfect. With this one, SR truly prove themselves as possibly the most beautiful sounding band out there.
Favourite tracks: Viđrar vel til loftárása, Svefn-g-englar, Ágćtis byrjun, Olsen Olsen, Starálfur
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:19:33 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2012, 06:24:18 PM »
Animals  :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2012, 01:25:55 AM »
Agaetis Byrjun is my third favorite Sigur Ros album, but it's fantastic never the less.  :hat

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2012, 01:39:47 AM »
Great picks!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2012, 02:18:20 AM »
Animals is indeed a great album, though I'd rate WWYH a bit higher than it. Sheep is my personal favourite song on the album, and a Top 3 PF song for me.

I have only recently begun getting into Ágćtis byrjun, after having listened to () for quite a long time, but it really is a beautiful album. Starálfur is great.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2012, 02:49:33 AM »
Geogaddi and Agaetis Byrjun ♥
Animals <3 too
I love beautiful things.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2012, 03:18:09 AM »
I knew this thread can't go without a Van der Graaf Generator album.  :hefdaddy

Also, Animals  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
Sorry guys. You get 4 today.
14. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞ (1997)

I know this is stated by everyone who has ever talked about this album, but this is the soundtrack to the apocalypse. It's dark, has voice samples that sound like those kinds of matters, and carries a feeling of desolation throughout. This is my favourite release by Godspeed for good reason. I find it to be the easiest to listen to in it's entirety (not only that, I feel it has to be), I find the enjoyment never stops throughout, and every mood and note is perfect. I should listen to this on December 21st methinks. :neverusethis:
Favourite tracks: All
13. Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998)

This is a real night album. It's also known for apparently being quite fun to fuck somebody too. I could see why too as it is a very sexy album. But it's not only good for getting laid too. No, it's more than that. It's just plain hypnotic in it's own way. And it never breaks that flow. I know there's an argument that the two Exchange tracks disrupt this flow, but I find they enhance the album a lot, and the second one is one of my favourite closings to an album. I couldn't say exactly why, it just ends it all with this perfect feeling. So I think these people are nuts and this album is flawless, especially in the first four tracks. If you have the faintest interest in trip-hop, I recommend this muchly.
Favourite tracks: Too many candidates for this so I'll just say all.
12. Bright Eyes - Lifted or The Story is on the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground (2002)

Whenever I'm feeling all sad, emotional, and deep, this is often my go-to album. I mean it's not depressing all the way through (Bowl of Oranges is one of the happiest songs ever), but a great bit of it is, while even the rest of the album is very lyrically personal, and I like that. Waste of Paint and Let's Not Shit Ourselves are great showcases on how Conor can make a song brilliant almost solely with his incredible lyrics. Waste of Paint being a compilation of depressing tales of multiple people and one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. So if you're ever feelin real down, I recommend this one for a spin.
Favourite tracks: Waste of Paint, Let's Not Shit Ourselves, The Big Picture, False Advertising, Don't Know When But a Day's Gonna Come, Bowl of Oranges
11. Portishead - Dummy (1994)

And only 2 spaces ahead of Mezzanine we have an album often known as sort of a rival to Mezzanine. There is lot's of argument on which of the two is better, and evidently I think this one is. But very slightly and I probably wouldn't have said this a few months ago. To be quite honest this album bored me a bit at first. But now it's another album in the depressing pile. Beth Gibbons has a very enchanting voice, that she can make sound pretty different in certain songs which I love a lot. The entire album is dark, spacey, and like Mezzanine, rather sexy. Another awesome trip-hop release.
Favourite tracks: Biscuit, Wandering Star, Glory Box, Roads, Sour Times, Numb

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 03:56:36 AM »
All cool albums, GYBE especially.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 06:23:04 AM »
Big Hath could verify, but I swear Animals has to be the most mentioned album.  It's pretty cool how it shows up on the lists of prog, metal, indie, post-(fill-in-the-blank) fans alike.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »
Yeah, I noticed how well-loved it is here.