Author Topic: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2! AHHH IT'S OVER  (Read 23735 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2!
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2012, 02:13:05 AM »
Choirs of the Eye is brilliant, my favorite Toby-album for sure.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
Any #1 guesses? No one is right so far. ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2012, 02:47:18 PM »
It's tough. F#A#Infinity has already been on the list and I think that's your favorite GYBE album.
It's really hard to guess, something by Mr. Bungle? I don't really recall your closest favorites so I'm probably off.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
^We have a winner!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
I still haven't listened to Choirs of the Eye, so before someone goes 'FIX THAT NAO', I have it set up to play sometime this week.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
Here's a list of honourable mentions:

Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life
Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Dream Theater - Awake
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
Magma - K.A.
Magma - Kohntarkosz
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Buckethead - Inbred Mountain
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

Now a few albums I got into during this list that could easily have made it (or have been an honourable mention or I could feel growing later on):
Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax 2: Future Sequence (would have definitely made the list)
Animal Collective - Feels (would very likely have made it)
Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Tender Prey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »
You've never seen that before? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »
You've never seen that before? :lol
Never really looked at it, no. I'm glad I did now :laugh:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
I still haven't listened to Choirs of the Eye, so before someone goes 'FIX THAT NAO', I have it set up to play sometime this week.

Be careful...

and lets go LieLow! This has been a fantastic list, and I can't wait for number 1
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
Oh and a note: I almost forgot for honourable mentions:
Red House Painters - Rollercoaster
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
Radiohead - Kid A (actually, I outright forgot this one. What a horrible failure.)

The #1 post is coming. It will take a while to type while I fanboy over this album. I'll hint now that the band appeared early on in this list, and I'm surprised no one guessed it because this is really the bands most highly acclaimed by far. Well you'll see. ;)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »
Looking back through the list, I was hoping you'd have F#A#Inf. at #1, until I saw it at #12 and then saw my comment about loving it. I'm forgetting stuff. :lol

I have literally no clue what could be your #1.
Squ

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 Albums/EPs V.2! AHHH IT'S OVER
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
1. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)

So yeah, here we are. This album rose up to my #1 faster than any album ever could, so this might be a little controversial. It's an underground classic and critics are constantly having boners over it. But there's a good reason: it's fucking astonishing how good this album is. But it's hard to explain why fully. Anyone who really loves this knows it's hard to explain why it's good without sounding like a pretentious asshole. And then the people take your advice and many dismiss it immediately from first listen as just noise, forever tainting their view of your tastes as you hang your head in shame. But it's more than just noise. Way, way more. First of all, take a look at the cover. That sums up the album. It's very guitar driven, it's distorted and fuzzy, it has a bright pink romance about it. It's really one of the most suitable covers out there. Anyways, time to go more in depth.

So I'm gonna paraphrase someone from Pitchfork (EWWWWW I know) here: for exactly one second on the opener, Only Shallow, My Bloody Valentine just sounds like any normal rock band. Then once that introductory 4 hits of the snare is done, you can almost feel their entire careers change as a band, and arguably the entire sound of guitar-based indie rock in general. It actually kinda shocks you at first because of how jarring that screaming guitar breaking through those power chords is, and it sounds a lot more like a buzzsaw ripping through sheet metal than a guitar riff, but it sets the tone for the rest of the album. And then after that dissonant, heavy section is done, you're instantly brought into a dreamy, beautiful verse delivered as if you weren't just being rocked the hell out a second earlier. Bilinda's barely audible vocals carry you off into a dreamy atmosphere, only to be jarred out by that riff again. It's pretty much just that structure repeated, yet you almost forget how simplistic it is because of how perfectly it lulls you in and before you know it you have a calm keyboard outro and you're headed into Loomer, with a riff that chugs along like a train with smoke billowing out the smokestack steadily.

Why'd I spend so much time on 1 song of an 11 song album you may wonder? Well because that's basically the story of the album. It repeatedly jars you yet entrances you both alternately and simultaneously, and it never gives up. And even though the vocals are nearly incomprehensible, they're there as another instrument and pretty much enhances the dreamy atmosphere 1000%. If you could understand them, it probably would not have the same effect.

So back to the guitars again: they're phenomenal. Not for catchy reasons, not for technical reasons, but for the pure noise they sometimes create a la Sonic Youth, and their whole style of whammying insane amounts in lots of places. A good example is the track To Here Knows When. There's a reason for the fact that if you type in that song name on Google one of the first suggestions you'll get is for the guitar sound. ;) It's kinda puzzling. It sounds kinda like a vacuum cleaner playing different pitches and with whammy on it, if you could picture that. It's just as stunning live though. If I remember correctly that song alone took almost a whole year till it was recorded and mixed correctly, the album as a whole taking 2 years and almost singlehandedly bankrupting the record company. Either way, the sound works amazingly and it has the effect present throughout the album: gritty and ugly guitars contrasted by incredibly sweet vocals. Both Bilinda and Kevin sing on this album, but it's mostly Bilinda, however there are tracks where there are both singing, and Kevin is the forefront on When You Sleep, What You Want, and Sometimes. Sometimes being a breathtakingly sweet-sounding acoustic ballad and definitely one of the highlights of the album and, consequentially, music in general. When You Sleep being a really catchy, synth driven track. What You Want is another catchy track, and a real rocker with a trippy and beautiful atmospheric outro. Also, as for them both singing, they're both wonderful on Soon I thought I'd say. It's a very catchy and almost dancy track in the non-lyrical sections, and when the lyrics come in the guitar is noisy and they both sing amazingly. It's almost kind of a reverse Only Shallow.

What tracks haven't I touched on now? How about Touched! :neverusethis: Basically, it's Chewbacca caught in the land of shoegaze. Take that as you will, it's just a short instrumental interlude. For I Only Said? Well, if you were going for a nice drive while listening to this album and When You Sleep had just ended, this track would probably make your car lift off the ground and fly slowly out into the sunset majestically as if it was the ending of a cheesy movie about flying cars. Well not literally, but it's an image I get from the song. Come in Alone is another track where Bilinda and Kevin share the vocal parts equally. It has a beautiful pre-verse melody, and the bass really drives this one home. Playing up high during the vocal spots and then down low giving a sort of heaviness during the instrumental pre-verse spot. It's wonderful. Blown a Wish is a really innocent and happy song with Bilinda leading the vocals. It has kind of a disorienting atmosphere throughout, but it works great.

So yeah. That was really long. But that was about as short as I could make it without shooting myself for forgetting to mention something. Basically, if you like Sonic Youth or noisy atmospheric goodness, you have to listen. Like now. Do not wait. What are you doing go listen.
Favourite tracks: Every song on here is better than any other song ever made.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »
Actually I did forget something. You know somethings awesome when an entire Final Fantasy plot device is named after it. ;) Not even joking. It's from Crisis Core, and it's not coincidence. It is named after the album. :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
Oh yes, this one. One of the wackiest albums I've heard and that's because of the sound. I'll just play it right now. I didn't like this AT ALL the first time I heard it, long ago, but I can see how important an album it has been and it has grown on me. I can recall some singer saying once that he used this album as an inspiration to write lyrics, he would just think of the lyrics while listening to the songs, because they are barely audible anyway. Nice write-up.
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
Oh yes, this one. One of the wackiest albums I've heard and that's because of the sound. I'll just play it right now. I didn't like this AT ALL the first time I heard it, long ago, but I can see how important an album it has been and it has grown on me. I can recall some singer saying once that he used this album as an inspiration to write lyrics, he would just think of the lyrics while listening to the songs, because they are barely audible anyway. Nice write-up.
That singer appeared on this list at #19. Guided By Voices' Robert Pollard. :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »
The list:
1. My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
2. Kayo Dot – Choirs of the Eye
3. maudlin of the Well – Bath
4. Boards of Canada – Music Has the Right to Children
5. Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
6. Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion
7. Brand New – The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
8. DJ Shadow – Endtroducing...
9. Unexpect – Fables of the Sleepless Empire
10. Pixies – Doolittle
11. Portishead – Dummy
12. Bright Eyes – Lifted or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
13. Massive Attack – Mezzanine
14. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – F#A# Infinity
15. Sigur Ros – Agaetis Byrjun
16. Pink Floyd – Animals
17. Van der Graaf Generator – Pawn Hearts
18. Boards of Canada – Geogaddi
19. Guided By Voices – Bee Thousand
20. The Mars Volta – Amputechture
21. Porcupine Tree – The Sky Moves Sideways
22. Converge – Jane Doe
23. Genesis – Foxtrot
24. Yes – Relayer
25. Don Caballero – Don Caballero II
26. Dir en Grey – Uroboros
27. Comus – First Utterance
28. Devin Townsend Project – Deconstruction
29. Sigur Ros – ( )
30. The Smiths – The Queen is Dead
31. The Cure – Disintegration
32. Can – Future Days
33. Burial – Kindred (EP)
34. Bright Eyes – I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
35. Agalloch – The Mantle
36. Harmonium – Si On Avait Besoin D’Une Cinquieme Saison
37. Thrice – The Alchemy Indexes
38. Tom Waits – Rain Dogs
39. Unexpect – In a Flesh Aquarium
40. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
41. Boards of Canada – In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country (EP)
42. My Bloody Valentine – You Made Me Realise (EP)
43. Between the Buried and Me – Colors
44. Brand New – Deja Entendu
45. Porcupine Tree – Stupid Dream
46. Emilie Autumn – Opheliac
47. Frank Turner – England Keep My Bones
48. Loreena McKennitt – The Book of Secrets
49. Godspeed You Black Emperor – Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
50. Gojira – From Mars to Sirius

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
Checking out your #1 right now. I really like the singer's voice and the guitars are used in a cool way.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »
You're not supposed to like it on first listen.
Squ

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
Oh.  :lol
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2012, 06:52:54 PM »
Haha, I remember my first listen. I was puzzling over why it was so highly rated. :lol I think reading more into others opinions helped me understand the album a lot more though. Now it's my favourite. :)

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2012, 11:30:31 PM »
I haven't been around here too long, but I find it astonishing that someone with such a large post history on a Dream Theater forum doesn't have a single DT album in their Top 50.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2012, 11:41:33 PM »
Me (and a few other posters) aren't as big as fans of the band as we were when we first joined, but we stick around anyways because of the community. :D I still like the band, don't get me wrong. But they're more a band I listen to in short bursts now then before when I had an obsession with them. And like I said, Awake was definitely close to making it. Still love that one a lot. ;)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:54 PM »
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
Radiohead - Kid A
These are great.  :tup

And I couldn't have predicted your number one, I'm very surprised. Haven't heard the record, though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »
Great number one!

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
Wow- I don't think I've heard that album since like junior high, but this made me want to check it out again!  Cool pick for #1!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2012, 10:54:24 PM »
havent been following (too busy for extensive forum exploration), but i see some familiar favorites.

shall backtrack some reading and probly give that #1 a spin to see what all the fuss is about.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »
Hope you enjoy! But like was said, it's usually not totally liked first listen. :)