8. Breaking All Illusions
3 (0.8%)
9. Beneath the Surface
35 (9.5%)
None
67 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Voting closed: November 18, 2012, 11:23:07 AM

Author Topic: ADTOE Skip Tracks  (Read 10066 times)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
Re: ADTOE Skip Tracks
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
Yea I see no connection between FFH and BAI. Someone said once that they share a chord progression........cool I guess, though I still can't hear it. And oddly enough of all of the transitions on the album, the one between those two songs is probably one of the weakest.

Timestamps:

Far From Heaven- 3:02
Breaking All Illusions- 11:31

I was just about to post this... so close!!  :lol
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »
Yea I see no connection between FFH and BAI. Someone said once that they share a chord progression........cool I guess, though I still can't hear it. And oddly enough of all of the transitions on the album, the one between those two songs is probably one of the weakest.

Timestamps:

Oh I know. And I'm sure it's there. But people have claimed it's no different than the WFS reprise in LTL.......and it clearly is WAY more subtle than that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »

Timestamps:

Oh I know. And I'm sure it's there. But people have claimed it's no different than the WFS reprise in LTL.......and it clearly is WAY more subtle than that.
Perhaps, but those who say that A Dramatic Turn of Events is structurally similar to Images and Words definitely have a point here.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Adami

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
So? Not sure what that has to do with anything.

And they only share a few structural ideas, namely in BAI, OTBOA and LNF. Not much else. And as far as I remember, I&W didn't end on a ballad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »
Structurally, there's virtually no similarity between the two w.r.t. the placement of the reprises. 

Adami's right that the reprise is much more subtle than LTL's, but it's undeniable that it's there.

Offline Adami

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »
Structurally, there's virtually no similarity between the two w.r.t. the placement of the reprises. 

Adami's right that the reprise is much more subtle than LTL's, but it's undeniable that it's there.

Sure. But that doesn't mean they're part 1 and 2 of the same thing. Especially considering that outside of that 1 chord progression, they have NOTHING to do with each other in the slightest bit. And bands do stuff like that all the time, it doesn't always mean something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »

Sure. But that doesn't mean they're part 1 and 2 of the same thing. Especially considering that outside of that 1 chord progression, they have NOTHING to do with each other in the slightest bit. And bands do stuff like that all the time, it doesn't always mean something.

Aside from being back to back, it's no different to what they did on Octavarium, or Awake, except it's a weaker song link than in any of those instances. It's only a basic chord progression, not even a melody, right?
I think people just like the idea of it being WFS/LTL part 2, except that those actually have an obvious and strong musical link.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »

Right, the songs don't have anything to do with each other apart from the one chord progression.  People who say otherwise are wrong.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
I think people just like the idea of it being WFS/LTL part 2, except that those actually have an obvious and strong musical link.

That's really stretching it, though. I mean, if I had to pick a WFS/LTL part 2, I'd give it to Vacant/Stream of Consciousness, even if SoC is an instrumental.
But either way, even if people like the idea of FFH/BAI being WFS/LTL part 2, it's not. Like people have been saying, the link is much weaker than that, to the point of being virtually unnoticeable to most people. It's cool that it's there, but I wouldn't consider the two linked in any way. They work really well as independent songs, and playing one after another, the link is completely unnoticeable.
Even in Learning to Live, the opening keyboards have a structure very similar to the main melody in WFS, so it's much easier to establish that link right off the bat.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
To me, FFH is a song about someone who is unhappy, feels misunderstood by his surrounding and doesn't see a way to connect to the outside world. It ends with the shared chord progression in "sad mode".
BAI continues where FFH left off, with the person realizing that his miserable fate is just an illusion and that he can change his life if he wants to. He decides to conquer the day and the song ends with the shared chord progression in "happy mode".

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
Easily Beneath the Surface.  Not a big fan of the song comparatively to the rest of the tracks on the album.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
Am I the only one that immediately recognized the FFH melody in BAI the first time hearing it?

I know people are saying its subtle but for me it's clearly there and impossible to miss (then again I tend to always look for this sort of stuff). It's also the melody that pretty much ends both of the songs. JP even said that FFH is a counterpart to BAI...

Offline me7

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »
Am I the only one that immediately recognized the FFH melody in BAI the first time hearing it?

I know people are saying its subtle but for me it's clearly there and impossible to miss (then again I tend to always look for this sort of stuff). It's also the melody that pretty much ends both of the songs. JP even said that FFH is a counterpart to BAI...
No, you're not alone. It jumped to my attention as well. If you look two posts above yours, you'll see that I even think the songs to be lyrically linked. I'm curious about your thoughts on that.... and don't be afraid to tell me if you think that I'm imagining things  ;)

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
The songs are NOT lyrically linked whatsoever.

Offline me7

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »
The songs are NOT lyrically linked whatsoever.

How do you interpret the spoken words at the beginning of BAI in the context of the song?

See here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27932.msg1060865#msg1060865
To me, they are what ties the songs together.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Those are two quotes which reinforce the themes of the song.  They don't have much to do with the Labrie-penned FFH, which he has confirmed is about a child who can't live up to the demands of an overbearing parent.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
None, I either listen to whole CDs if I have the time, or I chose singular tracks.

This, actually.

Offline Adami

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
Since many people have pointed this out, I should amend my original statement.

When I listen to the CD I don't skip any tracks, but I almost never listen to the CD. The tracks I skip are when they come up on shuffle on my Ipod or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »

No, you're not alone. It jumped to my attention as well. If you look two posts above yours, you'll see that I even think the songs to be lyrically linked. I'm curious about your thoughts on that.... and don't be afraid to tell me if you think that I'm imagining things  ;)

They are not connected lyrically. I would have thought they might have as well but check out this interview that was released before the album. Lots of info :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuw-25y6GC4

Offline Rob

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
Are you serious? Subtle? It's a reprise, simple as that! The part in Far From Heaven that goes "you can't imagine the hell I'm going through..." is reprised when at the end of Breaking all Illusions James sings "embrace the day, don't turn away...". Those are simply the same chords. That's not subtle at all! If you actually pay attention, there's not way to not hear that.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »
I enjoy On the Backs of Angels, Breaking All Illusions and Beneath the Surface.

So voted for the rest.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2012, 06:10:47 AM »

Timestamps:

It's not really subtle.  It slaps me in the face.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »
Since many people have pointed this out, I should amend my original statement.

When I listen to the CD I don't skip any tracks, but I almost never listen to the CD. The tracks I skip are when they come up on shuffle on my Ipod or something.

Same here.  I have a favorite album playlist and usually shuffle.  If I listened to just the album then I would have to skip.  But, in the playlist, songs can be edited out.  It's actually kind of silly when you think about it.  I should make a list of songs I normally skip and take em out.  Just easier to skip I guess.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline majo

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2012, 09:13:10 PM »
None. 

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
I enjoy listening to the album all the way through, so none.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:21 AM »
Usually none, but occasionally BMUBMD and FFH if I’m in a hurry to get to BAI.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
Now that I think about it, for some strange reason, if I listen to DT's whole discography in one playlist, I tend to skip any of the songs from this album. It's not that I don't like them, I think some of the songs are among DT's best, but, I guess it just hasn't been long enough for this album to have the same kind of sentimental value to me as the other ones. I tend to skip BCSL songs as well, for some reason.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
I really love ADTOE and it represents a great return to form for DT to me, but if there's any one DT song that I can find no redeeming factors in, it's Build Me Up. It legitimately sounds nothing like a DT song; maybe a Linkin Park song. It is just terrible to me, to be perfectly honest. Angels is a great song, but I find it too boring to slog through its entirety on most occasions.

I'm one of the few people that loves Far from Heaven and This is The Life. In fact, This is The Life ranks up there with Bridges and Breaking All Illusions for top ADTOE song in my opinion.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
I usually listen to it all. Sometimes I skip OTBOA- it's the weakest song on there for me- but I still like the song.