Author Topic: ZZ Top - La Futura  (Read 729 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
ZZ Top - La Futura
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
Heard this on Spotify on Monday.

As expected - Rick Ruin is producing so it sounds absolutely ghastly and is virtually unlistenable.

The hi-hat is way too loud and the compression on everything is absolutely ridiculous.

....sigh.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: ZZ Top - La Futura
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
That's a shame, but that's Rick Ruin for ya...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
Ugh this does sound dreadful. Bet this thing is brickwalled like crazy.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
There is no comparison between songs like Rhythmeen and Pincushion and a song like Consumption on the new album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:47:58 AM »
The album is way too noisy, but the songs on it are pretty cool. I have a feeling this album waited 10 years to be released because now they finally had songs that are good enough. Unfortunately, the track I dig the most (It's so easy manana) is a cover.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »
I saw them this past weekend at the Virgin Freefest in Columbia MD. Very uninspiring performance in their direct support slot to main stage headliner Jack White. I had seen them once before about two years ago at the 9:30 Club in Washington DC and they put on a much better show then. The vocals sounded a lot more strained this time around (and looking at the t-shirts they had for sale, it was fairly early in the tour). Music was tight, but there was something off there too. Adding to the disappointment was the fact that it was the only band I really wanted to see (other than Ben Folds Five, but that was more because I have heard a lot of positive things about them, not because I actually own any of their music).