Author Topic: Bible In A Year thread part TWO  (Read 3224 times)

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
Re: Bible In A Year thread part TWO
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
Why is everyone still in a fuss? Clearly, the OT and NT emphasize different aspects of God's character.

No...they don't.

EDIT: What I *should* say is that 'the facts do not support this statement'.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:59:05 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »
Why is everyone still in a fuss? Clearly, the OT and NT emphasize different aspects of God's character.

No...they don't.

EDIT: What I *should* say is that 'the facts do not support this statement'.
You know, simply repeating this doesn't make it so.  The different emphases have already been outlined.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
You know, simply repeating this doesn't make it so.

Isn't that how religion works most of the time?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
in Heb 10, the writer draws off of the difference.  while the same writer declares that Jesus is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow, he also alludes to the fact in ch 10 that they are two different covenants.  the previous was one of fire and judgment, the second of grace and victory.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
That was meant for rumby, BTW.  I'm not a large fan of the book of Hebrews (sorry, yesh).

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »
1 Thess 1:6-9

Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;  And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Eph 5:6, 7

Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

Col 3:5-6

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

This is not even to *begin* with the first two chapters of Romans...which pretty much states that everyone who makes a practice of things that are very common today are "deserving of death"....and that the wrath of God is coming against such ones..."wrath and anger...tribulation and distress"...

And in Revelation there's FAR more.   So ya, I don't see any difference. 

The only difference I see at all is that the old Covenant was through the Jewish nation, while in the new Covenant, the *invitation* is open to anyone who obeys God from any nationality.   That, and the sacrifice of Christ did away with the need for the animal sacrifices, and most other things in the Mosaic Law.    Many of the principles remain exactly the same.    Namely...obey God and follow *his* direction in how to live your life, or be cut off.    And since God is the source of life, being cut off from God means the opposite of life. 

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
^^^^^

BTW...this is just scratching the surface.  Jesus made statements about turning his back on those who claim to follow him, but their actions would deny him....and that they would die.   (or be "cut off"...how ever you want to interpret that...it's still not good)

I could make a much larger collection of scriptures in the NT that talk about "the wrath of God" coming and wicked people being destroyed....exactly the same as in the OT.

I could also make a large collection of OT scriptures that talk about how much God loves his people...rescues them...saves them...particularly when they are obedient to him.   (*JUST* like the NT)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »
All of the harsh judgement and wrath mentioned in the NT is to derive from God; he doesn't command any slaughter of pagans, unlike the OT.  There is no mystery here.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
I mean, of course I can see the "it's the same guy, just different aspects" angle, but it kinda reminds me of a lowlife dad who is ok during the day but beats up his wife at night after half a bottle of whiskey. Yes, it's the same guy, but for all intents and purposes you can consider the personae separate.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
If you only acknowledge the fundie reading, maybe. Otherwise, the Bible is a pretty good record of how people's conception of (and reaction to) God develops over time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »
If you only acknowledge the fundie reading, maybe. Otherwise, the Bible is a pretty good record of how people's conception of (and reaction to) God develops over time.
Exactly this.

Online eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
Which is why a Newer Testament might be in order, yes?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »

Nah. I think the NT is pretty clear that our removal from a sinful state to a saved on is something that is happening all the time, developing with our understanding of God which is not confined to any written work.

Online eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »

A good startup idea, but I think someone beat you to it.

No, I was thinking we could have a new book that was simple to understand, logical, and made sense in today's world.  But I'm not sure those attributes are allowed in a religious text.
Bazing.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
Well there are plenty of Biblical reflections on Christianity by noteworthy scholars and religious figures along these lines. Not sure anything else like a new canonized text is necessary. That kinda defeats the point of thinking beyond the canon.

Online eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »
Well there are plenty of Biblical reflections on Christianity by noteworthy scholars and religious figures along these lines. Not sure anything else like a new canonized text is necessary. That kinda defeats the point of thinking beyond the canon.

I think you are missing the intent of my post.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
No, I get it. You were making a joke that religious texts can't make sense it today's world.  If that was not your intent, then what was? You want to continue upholding a fundie strawman so you can use it as an excuse to dismiss all religious thought?

Online eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:20 AM »
No, I get it. You were making a joke that religious texts can't make sense it today's world.  If that was not your intent, then what was? You want to continue upholding a fundie strawman so you can use it as an excuse to dismiss all religious thought?

In case my intent was not clear....not sure why, but since you replied with such zealous seriousness....I will repeat:

Bazinga.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:02:27 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29