Author Topic: 2009/10 WORLD TOUR DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 416094 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 05/04)
« Reply #1225 on: August 14, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that I've heard that Rush themselves have never played The Camera Eye?  3 years ago on the 8vm tour, we got Jacob's Ladder - something rarely/never played by Rush.  

Since you insisted...You are wrong.  :biggrin:  Rush played "The Camera Eye" when the song was first out, but haven't played it since the Signals tour.

And "Jacob's Ladder" hasn't been played since the Moving Pictures Warm-Up tour.  

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #1226 on: August 15, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »
found it on youtube but unlistenable due to the audio.
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Online Mladen

« Reply #1227 on: August 15, 2009, 03:40:27 AM »
What's The Camera eye?  :o

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1228 on: August 15, 2009, 03:57:23 AM »
What's The Camera eye?  :o
An obscure (but cool) song by Rush.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1229 on: August 15, 2009, 04:01:48 AM »

I'm surprised at how much backing tracks they use nowadays.  I always liked the fact they did the full performance on their own, but with some of the lines from ItPoE, and now lots from ANtR and even the opening accoustical guitar in TCOT ... well, I'm surprised.

I wasn't aware of there being much backing track, but I know quite a few things (maybe even all those examples) are triggered from JR's keyboard.

I know what you mean about liking every aspect of the performance to be live, but if it's only for a couple of small things (like intros) then I don't really mind, and DT's willingness to use them live means they won't feel constrained to simple song arrangements when they're writing the songs in the studio.

Otherwise, great review! :D I love how they always play Rush songs in Toronto, and even when their set is shorter they still squeeze it in!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1230 on: August 15, 2009, 05:31:38 AM »
An obscure (but cool) song by Rush.
[/quote]
Oh yeah, how could I forget about it! I haven't listened to Rush in a while, especially not Moving pictures...

Online Mladen

« Reply #1231 on: August 15, 2009, 05:32:26 AM »
Oh yeah, how could I forget about it! I haven't listened to Rush in a while, especially Moving pictures...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1232 on: August 15, 2009, 05:38:12 AM »
I know what you mean about liking every aspect of the performance to be live, but if it's only for a couple of small things (like intros) then I don't really mind, and DT's willingness to use them live means they won't feel constrained to simple song arrangements when they're writing the songs in the studio.

I'm not bothered by it, just surprised.  It's not the backing vocals, but the voice samples like the Doctor in ANtR, and the line in Voices "I don't wanna be here, 'cause of my suffering", the "wait a minute, hold on" from TtT... stuff like that.  I would've thought MP could pull those off as well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: August 15, 2009, 05:44:18 AM »
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that I've heard that Rush themselves have never played The Camera Eye?  3 years ago on the 8vm tour, we got Jacob's Ladder - something rarely/never played by Rush.  

Since you insisted...You are wrong.  :biggrin:  Rush played "The Camera Eye" when the song was first out, but haven't played it since the Signals tour.

And "Jacob's Ladder" hasn't been played since the Moving Pictures Warm-Up tour.  

Ok then, I stand corrected.  Still, they haven't been heard by Rush in over 25 years.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: August 15, 2009, 06:31:09 AM »
WUT.

They covered The Camera Eye?  Holy crap that's awesome!  Someone needs to get a good-quality bootleg of this now!

I love this side of Dream Theater.  When I was just getting into them, my friend was always talking about how they'd go off on jams, play three-hour shows, cover random songs just because they could, or how the bass player tackled the singer.  Just these little live goodies that are worth the price of tickets.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1235 on: August 15, 2009, 06:58:45 AM »
Nice to see them covering TCE.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1236 on: August 15, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!!#&!#  GOD DAMNIT!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1237 on: August 15, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »
I'm hoping a bootleg that includes that COVER  :metal
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #1238 on: August 15, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »

nah, i heard the bootlegger there turned his stuff off for that song.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #1239 on: August 15, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »
(shits pants)

Oh man, Camera Eye....
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1240 on: August 15, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

nah, i heard the bootlegger there turned his stuff off for that song.
Did anyone record it at all? :yeahright
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1241 on: August 15, 2009, 04:10:21 PM »
WHY WASN'T I AT THIS SHOW?!?!?!?!?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1242 on: August 15, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
THE CAMERA EYE?!?!?

The *only* song from Moving Pictures that Rush has not played on their tours in the last 10-15 years and DT does it. YIKES!

This will DEFINITELY be on a YtsejamRecords release, and as I've said before, it'll probably be on the bonus stuff for whatever Rush album DT covers, as picked by Mike. It'll be alongside the other Rush covers that weren't on the recently released Uncovered 03-05 CD, which were Jacob's Ladder and A Passage To Bangkok (from their other Toronto dates on previous tours).

With them covering this, I wonder if it's less likely that MP will pick Moving Pictures to cover. I still say they'll cover either A Farewell To Kings or Hemispheres (as I don't recall them covering any full song from those albums, but I may be wrong...).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: August 15, 2009, 07:52:02 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: although a more "classic" Rush album would be nice, the lack of keyboards is noticeable, and therefore I say anything from Signals > Hold Your Fire should be covered. I mean, for Number of the Beast, it was easy for Jordan to double guitar riffs, but there isn't a lot of that in Rush... Personally, I'd vote for either Signals or Power Windows

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: August 15, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_e6HW09T8

Pretty good audio of The Camera Eye.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: August 15, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: although a more "classic" Rush album would be nice, the lack of keyboards is noticeable, and therefore I say anything from Signals > Hold Your Fire should be covered. I mean, for Number of the Beast, it was easy for Jordan to double guitar riffs, but there isn't a lot of that in Rush... Personally, I'd vote for either Signals or Power Windows

Power Windows, definitely.  If there's one thing you learn about DT from their Rush covers, its that they always cover songs Rush doesn't seem to want to play, like The Necromancer, 2112 Finale, By-Tor (not since the Vapor Trails tour, anyway), Jacob's Ladder, and now The Camera Eyes.  However, Power Windows wouldn't be a very popular choice.  Every other cover album they've done has been a sort of "breakthrough" album, except for Made in Japan, so I think Moving Pictures would be the album they cover.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: August 15, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »

Power Windows, definitely.  If there's one thing you learn about DT from their Rush covers, its that they always cover songs Rush doesn't seem to want to play, like The Necromancer, 2112 Finale, By-Tor (not since the Vapor Trails tour, anyway), Jacob's Ladder, and now The Camera Eyes.  However, Power Windows wouldn't be a very popular choice.  Every other cover album they've done has been a sort of "breakthrough" album, except for Made in Japan, so I think Moving Pictures would be the album they cover.

Hmm. You may have a point, though personally I'd argue that Master of Puppets isn't really a breakthrough for Metallica (I'd give that to The Black Album). A guy can still dream though...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1247 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_e6HW09T8

Pretty good audio of The Camera Eye.
Great audio recording but the video is behind barely though.

EDIT: Hopefully someone recorded this concert.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:50:17 PM by ResultsMayVary »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: August 15, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »
So was there like a second encore or did the just play another song during the encore?  I love how DT does things like this even though I'm not familiar with the song.  And anyone who complains... they played an extra song.  I saw them twice and they played 8 songs each time.  This time they played 8 DT songs and one Rush song.  I think that is awesome. 

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #1249 on: August 16, 2009, 12:02:20 AM »

I'd rather hear them cover Moving Pictures than Power Windows.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1250 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »

I'd rather hear them cover Moving Pictures than Power Windows.
I agree. Moving Pictures had a lot of great songs on it. Limelight, Tom Sawyer, etc
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: August 16, 2009, 04:52:08 AM »
So was there like a second encore or did the just play another song during the encore?  I love how DT does things like this even though I'm not familiar with the song.  And anyone who complains... they played an extra song.  I saw them twice and they played 8 songs each time.  This time they played 8 DT songs and one Rush song.  I think that is awesome. 

They transitioned right into TCoT after TCE.  This show was closer to 2 hours I believe.  I didn't check what time they actually started, but ZPZ was done at about 8:40pm, and I don't think it takes them more than 30 minutes to setup the stage.  I was pretty stoked, as I knew we were going to get something a little extra since they were starting earlier than 9:30.

As for a Rush cover, they've done quite a few things from Moving Pictures already - Red Barchetta on The Working Man tribute, YYZ bootleg(s), now TCE ... so I can't see them doing this album.  AFtK or Hemispheres seems the logical choice, since (I don't think) they've ever done songs from either (other than many Xanadu teasers).

There's a Dimeadozen user - burnboy - that does a lot of Toronto bootlegs.  Judas Priest/Whitesnake from the Amphitheatre last month is out there, so I would suspect he'll have this show as well.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1252 on: August 16, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »
this kinda makes me mad about the 'cool' surprise at new york city haha. sure you can cry never enough, but im jealous that toronto gets like a 2 hour set with a rush cover, and we got a shortened metropolis with dweezil coming to jam for like 2 minutes

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: August 16, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »
this kinda makes me mad about the 'cool' surprise at new york city haha. sure you can cry never enough, but im jealous that toronto gets like a 2 hour set with a rush cover, and we got a shortened metropolis with dweezil coming to jam for like 2 minutes

Shortened Metropolis?  I don't remember it being short and I remember the jam lasting over 5 minutes and was really awesome.  My only complaint was the show was shorter overall than other PN shows.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1254 on: August 16, 2009, 01:50:03 PM »

Shortened Metropolis?  I don't remember it being short and I remember the jam lasting over 5 minutes and was really awesome.  My only complaint was the show was shorter overall than other PN shows.
I would say a Rush Cover would be 20 times better than a special appearance in the Metropolis jam.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1255 on: August 16, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »

i remember them cutting to the instrumental break after the first chorus, instead of the second

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1256 on: August 16, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »

i remember them cutting to the instrumental break after the first chorus, instead of the second
They usually do that when the play the Metropolis/LTL/ACOS Medley so it's possible.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1257 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »
yea im almost sure they cut it there.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1258 on: August 16, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
Camera Eye must have been immense   :eek
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1259 on: August 16, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
Anyone updating from Winnipeg tonight?