Author Topic: 2009/10 WORLD TOUR DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 416333 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 05/04)
« Reply #945 on: August 01, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »
There's a DVD bootleg? Where?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #946 on: August 01, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
Dimadozen... it's been up there for a couple of days already. I posted it in the bootleg section, but no one seemed to bother.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #947 on: August 01, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
First post (including Song Count) updated with Philly setlist.
*Resists joke*

WHAT THE COUNT OF LOLCANY LOLOLOL!
The deuce!!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online The Letter M

« Reply #948 on: August 01, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »
So everyone going to the MD show tonight have fun... I'd be there, but I'm best man at a wedding tonight. Joy!

Ironically enough, one of my ex's boyfriend won tickets to tonight's show from a radio contest and she asked me if I could take them since they couldn't go because of work... sadly I had to tell her I couldn't go!!! Oh well...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

mitchgo

« Reply #949 on: August 01, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
I want sooooooooooo much to get Erotomania/Voices in Boston tomorrow!!!!

Unlikely...both were played 14 months ago at the Orpheum during Prog Nation 09.

I think POW, Sacrificed, TDOE, One Last Time, and Take the Time are all more likely.

Be a great show no matter what though...maybe the nicest venue in boston to see DT.

MG

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #950 on: August 01, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »
Dimadozen... it's been up there for a couple of days already. I posted it in the bootleg section, but no one seemed to bother.

Holy shit dude, thanks so much! :hefdaddy
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #951 on: August 01, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »
Anyone know the setlist/tracking who may be posting it?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #952 on: August 01, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
Just got back from the MD show. Setlist as best I can remember, not necessarily in order:

A Nightmare To Remember
Prophets Of War
Sacrificed Sons
A Rite Of Passage
The Dance Of Eternity
One Last Time
Solitary Shell (extended jam)
In The Name Of God
-------------------
The Count Of Tuscany

I might be forgetting one song though. Will post my thoughts later, pretty tired from being blown away by 4 amazing bands tonight (I don't include QR, since I was pretty bored by them). Fucking awesome setlist by DT. I was pleasantly surprised by ITNOG, one of my faves. Even Sacrificed Sons was epic and moving. Oh and it turns out Nick was 2 seats away from me in the same row. :D
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #953 on: August 01, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »
Awesome set! I'd love to see that!!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #954 on: August 01, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
IN THE NAME OF GOD?!?!?!  :omg: :omg: :omg:

They better come back to Florida and play that.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: August 01, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
IN THE NAME OF GOD IS BACKKK !!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Disappear

« Reply #956 on: August 01, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't believe they were playing it when I heard the intro. I was like, 'what is this...gotta be a teaser into Hollow Years or something...' :)

About time they brought it back! :metal

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #957 on: August 01, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »
Oh shit. Cool.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #958 on: August 01, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »
IN THE NAME OF GOD  :omg:

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

That's pretty awesome setlist!

And ITNOG is totally suprising!  :metal

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #959 on: August 01, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »
That's a long setlist  :o
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline kefka

« Reply #960 on: August 01, 2009, 11:12:11 PM »
epic.  epic.  epic.

i didn't have any interested in bigelf or scale the summit, so knowing the band start times, i planned accordingly.  as a result?  i got stuck in nightmare traffic on I-95 north and it poured rain the entire drive, until i turned onto MD32 (about five minutes from the venue).  apparently it rained everywhere in the d.c. metro area EXCEPT for columbia, and the concert grounds were dry as a bone.

so thoughts?

caught the end of bigelf.  better name is bigfail.

queensryche:  first couple of songs, i was already writing the review for their set to post here in my head.  something along the lines of "geoff tate's certainly showing his age, but his voice is as good as it has ever been."  and that was true of the entire set.  first half of the set?  thoroughly enjoyable.  second half of the set?  complete and utter suck.  they wrapped themselves in the american flag so hard it was distasteful.  at one point, either a marine disrespecting his uniform, or an actor disrespecting the service, came on, saluted the crowd (wtf seriously), and then proceeded to jump around the stage like a pro-wrestler, only taking occasional breaks to shout "fuck" into the microphone.  there was no coming back from that.  the rest of their set was utterly forgettable.

zappa plays zappa:  holy shit.  i mean, jesus christ, i was skeptical of all the raving reviews posted on these boards, but i'll be damned if they didn't live up to every expectation i had.  if DT hadn't been so on tonight, zappa plays zappa would've blown them offstage.  i think maybe that's one of the reasons mike portnoy picked them to co-headline:  if DT tries to phone a show in, ZPZ is just gonna make em look bad, so DT always has to bring their A game.  dweezil zappa is, i guess, in his early 40s by now, and his face is starting to look a lot more like his dad's.  if he grew a goatee like his dad, they would be indiscernible.  what i really loved about his performance was just how happy he looked.  he had this completely placid, comfortable look that seldom left his face, even as he scorched up and down his fretboard.  mind you, this was not the stoned-concentration of phish.  he just looked like he was doing exactly what he wanted to be doing, and was happy to be playing for us.  he opened the show by saying that his dad was born in baltimore (huge cheers), so he always enjoyed playing around here.  the rest of the band?  unbelievable.  i know a lot of people have singled out the incredibly talented young woman who sings, plays keyboards and saxophone, and yes, was insane, but i've gotta give it up for the percussionist.  having been a classically trained percussionist myself (many many years ago), my jaw just dropped at the fluidity and technique with which, in particular, he played the vibes.

and then it was dream theater's turn.  about 95 minutes of performance (a little bump from average *squee*), all of it amazing.  i was in row O, so after the meet and greet ticket holders, i was 8th row center, no more than 30 feet from the stage.  after hearing some people comment about shows poorly mixed, i was afraid that was going to be the case, especially during the opening minutes of ANTR, where jordan sounded a little quiet.  but i guess the sound guys actually do their jobs at merriweather, b/c this was corrected by halfway through the song.  the mix throughout the remainder of the show was excellent, if a little on the high end (which i attribute to the fact that i was close enough to actually hear the cymbals and JP's amps, not through the PA.  even mike's "RAWR I AM A BEAR" stuff in the song worked, b/c he used the "RAWR" to say "come on maryland" or something, that got the crowd going.  the only thing from their set, and it's a fairly minor thing, was that i found the footage of 9/11 during "sacrificed sons" to be, i dunno, distasteful is too strong a word, but inappropriate.  the song itself, however, one that has long been on the bottom of my rankings of DT songs, was performed excellently, and the second half of the song was really very well done.

TDOE and OLT were definite highlights for me.  i would've liked to hear some stuff from awake and IaW, but knowing that they'd played erotomania and voices in philly, i wasn't expecting anything.  the set didn't suffer because of it, i just hope to hear some when they come through town next time on their headlining show.

ITNOG was a surprising set closer.  During PoW, the camera mounted on jordan's keyboard came up on the screen, and so amidst his flying fingers, we got to see the left half of the setlist.  it made me comfortable to know that we were getting TCOT for an encore, but i could only see "In The..." for the closer, so spent a bit of their set wondering if we were getting "in the presence of enemies."  that aside, once they actually started the song, it was just amazing.  ToT has long been my 2nd least favorite DT album, but their expert performance was more than enough to get me to revisit that album.

and then there was TCOT.  jesus h. christ, what a song live.  the woman next to me switched with (i think) her daughter or niece about halfway through the set, so while i never got her name, i got to spend the set with a beautiful woman who knew all the lyrics to all of the DT songs.  somedays god just smiles on me :3  now i can play the drums pretty well, but i can't carry a tune in a bag, and nonetheless, particularly on PoW and TCOT, i felt compelled to sing at the top of my lungs.  fortunately for everyone around me, the band was loud enough to drown me out :)  but the entire venue, it seemed, sang along to TCOT, and by the conclusion of the song, everyone was belting out the WooooaaAAs.  so anonymous girl and i were throwing the metal horns up and belting at the top of our lungs until the very end.

as they took their bows, all she said to me, with huge smile on her face, was "how was that for a show?"  indeed.

(two negative things happened around me during the concert.  

during ZPZ's set, two rows in front of me, these two guys, probably five or six years younger than me, were clearly huge zappa fans.  they knew all the lyrics, knew the instrumental parts, etc.  so how did they show their love?  they danced their asses off.  they weren't stoned, they weren't drunk, they were just enjoying the music as best they could.  and some douchebag (who had stood throughout QR's set), grabbed one of the guys' shirt and proceeded to berate them to sit down.  i couldn't hear the argument, but i just remember seeing said douchebag go "do you see anyone else dancing?" as he gestured to the pavilion.  eventually the two kids just sighed sadly and sat down.  i could tell they were trying to enjoy the show as much still, but my heart went out to them.  it was such a dick thing to do.

the other (which got said anonymous girl next to me), was that some jackass and his friend had clearly too much to drink.  one of them was so drunk that he was literally unable to support himself.  he passed out on the concrete floor, while his jackass friend punched him over and over.  two kids behind me, no older than 14, tried to get the guy some help, but jackass said to them point blank, "fuck you you little faggots."  said passed out jackass proceeded to vomit his entire digestive system all over the floor about two or three songs into DT's set.  by this point, someone had gone to get help, and the staff of the venue took the two idiots out and did their best to clean up the mess.  so yeah, one, don't be a fucking homophobe.  two, don't get fucking drunk at shows.  have a couple of beers, sure, if that's your thing, but know your limits.  these idiots very nearly ruined the whole show for the people sitting next to me.

so other than those two things, amazing amazing show.  nice that we got a little variety in the set.  start to finish, the band was on fire, and TCOT was maybe one of the best musical performances i have seen in a very long time.

added bonus?  only took me ten minutes to get out of the parking lot :)

i hope everyone else enjoyed the show as much as me.  it was truly a great night.

(edit: put the wrong SFAM song in there.  oops)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:06:03 AM by kefka »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #961 on: August 01, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »
Great review, dude. Zappa Plays Zappa sounds awesome, I can't wait to see them.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #962 on: August 01, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
THEY PLAYED IN THE NAME OF GOD

UGHGHGHGHGHGH I WANT THAT

Offline Disappear

« Reply #963 on: August 01, 2009, 11:23:10 PM »
I'm with you on the QR set. My brother and I were laughing and mocking the band through their entire jingoistic propaganda film accompanied by boring and generic music. I lost it when the "marine" came out and started jumping around like Fred Durst. :rollin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:31:02 PM by Disappear »

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #964 on: August 01, 2009, 11:31:16 PM »
God, do I hate when bands get political. Especially when they start to do things to the flag
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Disappear

« Reply #965 on: August 01, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like political messages, but at least have some thought behind them. And some good music. DT played 3 topical songs tonight but they are at least thoughtful and universal and are backed up by some excellent music. SS comes close to crossing the line but I can forgive a couple seconds of Osama mugging for the camera. :P

QR's whole set played more like a "support our troops" program on Fox News.  :\ Oh well, the audience dug it so whatevs. :)

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #966 on: August 01, 2009, 11:46:59 PM »
Hey, you guys got a pretty long set though. Lucky!
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline kefka

« Reply #967 on: August 01, 2009, 11:47:49 PM »
yeah, i never sensed that DT was being disrespectful, either in sacrificed sons or PoW.  while driving up to the venue, i saw a bumper sticker that said "dissent is the strongest form of patriotism."  i thought it was a nice mix of PoW as not essentially an anti-war song, but more of a "be educated about what is going on in the world, and don't be afraid to ask hard questions," and sacrificed sons, which was, i must confess, a very moving performance that didn't take sides other than to say "this was something awful that happened, let us pay tribute to those firefighters and policemen who ran into burning buildings and many of whom never came out." (though i agree w/ you disappear, the footage of the al-qaeda training camps and osama were pushing it)

QR, on the other hand, as others have illuminated further than i already had, spent the entire second half of their set practically with an american flag in their mouth and a sparkler out their asses.

and living in northern virginia, i have a lot of friends, and some family, in both the military and intelligence services.  when i was teaching at one school, one of the teachers had to leave halfway through the school year because she was getting deployed for the third time.  i can understand the ideas behind the wars, i unequivocally support the troops, whether they're friends and family or not, and can still be angry about the abuses that have gone on.  i won't go any further.  this board is about music, not politics.  but suffice to say, DT handled deftly what QR handled poorly, to say the least.

oh, i forgot one really cool thing that i'd never seen at merriweather before!  in between sets, you could send text messages to a number, and they'd end up on the screens.  they ranged from "i love lamp" and cheers for every sports team (locals ones were cheered, like the ravens and the redskins, while the philadelpia eagles, dallas cowboys, new york giants, and boston red sox were boo'ed viciously), a couple proposals, and the two best ones i saw?  "let me introduce, my brother" and "scream if you're a girl who didn't come because her boyfriend wanted you too, but b/c you like DT" (or something to that effect).  both got HUGE cheers and laughs from the crowd.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #968 on: August 01, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »
That is the coolest idea ever :lol
I wish everywhere did that
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #969 on: August 02, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
Just got back from MD, great show

could have done without A Rite of Passage and Prophets of War but the rest of the set was great, I couldn't believe they played TDOE (except Rudess's keyboard camera was massive setlist spoilers)

I really am not a fan of that venue though, or with pavilions in general, but this one gets a lot of praise and I dont see it. I really hope they are in an arena next time. I couldn't hear half of Solitary Shell and the jam because the drums overtook it, thats the first time I have had a problem with sound with DT.

favorite part: uhh tough, I guess TDOE just because I love it so much

ZPZ was fantastic

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #970 on: August 02, 2009, 12:03:38 AM »
That Queensryche thing sounds despicable.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: August 02, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »
What's wrong with the footage of Osama? I mean, how can you have a 9-11 tribute without showing the guy? That's like having a holocaust memorial without mentioning Hitler.

I didn't see the video, so excuse me if I sound ignorant.

Offline kefka

« Reply #972 on: August 02, 2009, 12:13:20 AM »
chaos:

i can understand the dislike of pavilions, though i didn't have any of the sound issues you described.  were you on the lawn perhaps?  or if in the venue, if you're on one side (as has been my occasion at wolftrap, another pavilion in vienna, va), it can be mixed so that if you're in a particular section other than the center, one instrument can overtake the others.

the problem is that even with this massive lineup, the venue was, at best 70% full.  merriweather holds somewhere between 17-20,000 ppl.  when i hit the bathroom before ZPZ, the lawn was sparsely populated to say the least, and there were entire sections of the pavilion (the covered part, at least), that were roped off as closed.

when they want to do a summer festival tour, it's hard to pass up pavilions.  here's hoping that DT's next pass through town will either be at constitution hall in dc, or if we're REALLY REALLY lucky, they'll do a small show at the magnificent 9:30 club in d.c. (which at capacity, only holds a little under 1,100 ppl).

edit @perp:  it's my interpretation of the song that it's paying tribute to the people who died as a result of the attacks on sept. 11th.  if the band decided to use footage of osama bin laden, it would've been more appropriate at the beginning of the video.  instead, it appears at the end of the song, which contextually, makes little sense, and seems inappropriate.

one last edit before bed:  i nearly forgot one more suck part of QR's set.  at one point, before a song about a group of marines who travelled for three days to rescue another marine that none of them knew, in a truly heroic act, geoff tate explained that one of the marines' core values is "never leave a man behind."  um, my best friend is an air force pilot, and i taught with an army ranger.  that's the entire military's motto.  jesus, you can learn that just from watching "stargate: sg-1."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:21:02 AM by kefka »

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #973 on: August 02, 2009, 12:23:29 AM »
I was on the floor over to the left so that might have been why, I really hope they play constitution hall again that venue was amazing

Offline kefka

« Reply #974 on: August 02, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
i'll bet that's what it was... sonically, you were in the direct line of mike's drums on the mini-kit, and as far away from JP's amps as possible.  sorry to hear that was your case :(

and yeah, i hope constitution hall is where they come for their headlining tour, the venue sounds great in every spot available!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #975 on: August 02, 2009, 01:04:34 AM »
Wants to see ZPZ really really bad!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #976 on: August 02, 2009, 01:22:19 AM »

Everyone should.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #977 on: August 02, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »

Everyone should.
My brother is only going for 3 songfs from DT, and they won't play them, this I have already told him.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mladen

« Reply #978 on: August 02, 2009, 03:09:38 AM »
Just got back from the MD show. Setlist as best I can remember, not necessarily in order:

A Nightmare To Remember
Prophets Of War
Sacrificed Sons
A Rite Of Passage
The Dance Of Eternity
One Last Time
Solitary Shell (extended jam)
In The Name Of God
-------------------
The Count Of Tuscany
Interesting set list, all great songs, but there is nothing before Scenes from a memory. Weird... But I would still watch this set list anytime.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #979 on: August 02, 2009, 04:50:44 AM »
IN THE NAME OF GOD IS BACKKK !!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
My thoughts exactly! :D

I've seen it twice before, but I love it and it's amazing live, so am glad it's back in the sets!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.