Author Topic: 2009/10 WORLD TOUR DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 415393 times)

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 05/04)
« Reply #2310 on: June 11, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
Rockin' DT set right there. I think the setlist is good for the audience they're playing to, which is a metal audience. How was the crowd reacting to DT? Was there lots of movement, pits, and that sort of stuff that a Maiden crowd is known for? Or did they save that for Maiden?

And I like the Maiden set too. They've toured enough with their older stuff, it's about damn time they stopped playing all old songs and focused a tour on their latest stuff. I was scared they'd become into a nostalgia act. i'd have liked to seen The Trooper in that setlist, a Maiden setlist doesn't look right without that song.
The Maiden crowd really seemed to dig DT.  The pit was doing a bunch of jumping around and so forth.  There were actually more people that showed up for DT than I thought there would be.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #2311 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »
What kind of merch did DT have? Any official bootlegs? Anything different than on the PN tour?
The merch was almost ALL Maiden.  They had a couple of t-shirts, a hat, wristbands, and a poster of DT.  Everything else was Maiden.  The 25th anniversary shirt they had was really cool, though (got one).

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #2312 on: June 11, 2010, 04:20:20 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing IM and DT live in July.  While the DT set isn't blowaway, and there is virtually nothing they're playing that I haven't seen already in the two shows I did see them at, it will nicely fit the crowd.  I am also quite impressed with IM resisting the temptation to do another classics tour like they did in 2008-9, and are instead focusing on the post-reunion material.  However, I do wish they had brought in a few songs from the 90's, especially the Blaze era which Bruce sang amazingly well.  Still though this should be great--especially since I get to see Paschendale live (which I missed b/c their DoD N American tour was limited to two cities). 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2313 on: June 11, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
What kind of merch did DT have? Any official bootlegs? Anything different than on the PN tour?
The merch was almost ALL Maiden.  They had a couple of t-shirts, a hat, wristbands, and a poster of DT.  Everything else was Maiden.  The 25th anniversary shirt they had was really cool, though (got one).

What? The DT 25th anniversary poster was being sold at the Maiden gig? I'm surprised - I had heard they'd only be available at the club shows.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2314 on: June 11, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »

What were the prices for any of the merch (DT or Maiden) if you can remember?

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #2315 on: June 11, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »

What were the prices for any of the merch (DT or Maiden) if you can remember?
Shirts were 35 - 40.  Hats 30.... I can't remember anything else.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2316 on: June 11, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
Any word on the setlists yet?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2318 on: June 11, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »
What the hell.  I've heard a wild rumour that Maiden switched up their set and brought in "Bring Your Daughter...", "Wrathchild", and "Dance of Death".
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2319 on: June 11, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »
They put in Wrathchild and Dance of Death in place of Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and Paschendale.

Now the question is will this be an every other night sort of thing, or is this the way it will be from here on out. I'm hoping the former.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: June 11, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »
Damn I really wanted to see Paschendale.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2321 on: June 11, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
Damn I really wanted to see Paschendale.

X2!

Offline -Sharp-Shooter-

« Reply #2322 on: June 12, 2010, 01:27:01 AM »
Wow I just saw the Iron Maiden setlist and am kinda disappointed Over half of those songs I have NEVER heard. I wish they would play their more popular songs.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2323 on: June 12, 2010, 05:09:51 AM »
They put in Wrathchild and Dance of Death in place of Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and Paschendale.
WHAT!?!?!  >:(

That sucks balls!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2324 on: June 12, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »
Wow I just saw the Iron Maiden setlist and am kinda disappointed Over half of those songs I have NEVER heard. I wish they would play their more popular songs.

I would suggest getting the latest three albums, Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death, because they are awesome.

If Maiden only played their more popular songs, they'd become a joke: a tribute band to themselves.  Imagine if DT only played stuff from I&W, Awake, and SFAM.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: June 12, 2010, 07:40:38 AM »

Now the question is will this be an every other night sort of thing, or is this the way it will be from here on out. I'm hoping the former.

I will be pissed if I don't get Paschendale.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2326 on: June 12, 2010, 08:18:45 AM »
Personally I like Paschendale and Dance of Death equally, but it hopefully won't matter as I'm seeing the tour on back to back nights. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: June 12, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »
I really really like Dance of Death. But Paschendale is, by far, the BEST Maiden song. So I'm hoping they do it at PNC.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2328 on: June 12, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I never heard either song so i'm fine either way. I could careless what they play as long as I see them. Kinda bummed flight of Icarus isn't on their.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2329 on: June 12, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »
You've never heard Paschendale or Dance of Death?   :omg:

Seriously.  Some people.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2330 on: June 12, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »
Don't got those albums. Don't know why, i'm not really a fan as I don't have all their albums just BNW, AMOLAD, POM.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2331 on: June 12, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
Studiowise, I like Pachendale better, but the DOTR version of Dance Of Death absolutely slays.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2332 on: June 12, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
Don't got those albums. Don't know why, i'm not really a fan as I don't have all their albums just BNW, AMOLAD, POM.
Why not? Dance of Death is a great album, and it's a view into some of Maiden's different works throughout their history and not just sticking with the classics.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2333 on: June 12, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »
I don't know. I think it's cause the store didn't have it so I bought BNW. Is DOD like a bridge between BNW and AMOLAD.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2334 on: June 12, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
I really like that DT setlist! :tup There's some heavy shit going on!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2335 on: June 12, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
I understand switching Dance of Death and Paschendale, but Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is rotating with..... Wrathchild? How does that make sense?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2336 on: June 12, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »
I agree Perp, For The Greater Good Of God would have been a better choice. Whrathchild is a great live song for sure but do we really need to hear it again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2337 on: June 12, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »
Can't wait for July 2nd!!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline -Sharp-Shooter-

« Reply #2338 on: June 12, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »

I would suggest getting the latest three albums, Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death, because they are awesome.

If Maiden only played their more popular songs, they'd become a joke: a tribute band to themselves.  Imagine if DT only played stuff from I&W, Awake, and SFAM.
Well when I saw Metallica they played songs only from Master of Puppets, And Justive For All, Kill Em All, Death Magnetic, Black, and Ride the Lightning. So pretty much the popular songs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2339 on: June 12, 2010, 04:18:33 PM »
For what it's worth, Paschendale and DOD both had their own backdrops, so that won't be a permanent change.  I'd suspect an A and B setlist like Rush is doing.  Brighter, on the other hand, I'm not sure about.  Maiden has been known to switch out a song after the first night or two.  Considering the whining a lot of people are throwing out about the setlist, it wouldn't surprise me if Wrathchild stays in.  I certainly hope for y'alls sake that they keep playing Brighter, but I'm not sure. 

In the end, Nick has the right idea.  Seeing them twice covers the bases. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2340 on: June 12, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »
I thought that Brighter had its own backdrop.

Apparently not.  I hope they don't drop it.  I'd love to see it.  However, Wrathchild hasn't been played on an extensive NA tour since 2000, so I don't blame them for switching it, because BTATS got out in 2006.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #2341 on: June 12, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »

Don't really need to be a fan to like DoD. Paschendale, Dance of Death and Journeyman are three of my favorite IM songs... kind of hope they switch out Wrathchild with Paschendale and do both of those songs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2342 on: June 12, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »
I thought that Brighter had its own backdrop.

I have absolutely no idea.  I remember some of the backdrops quite clearly, and others are a complete blur.  Complicating matters is that while the themes of the backdrops were the same as past tours, the artwork was very modernized.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:17:06 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2343 on: June 12, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »
Tonight's setlist seems to support my premise.  Back to Paschendale, but Wrathchild still in place of Brighter. 
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2344 on: June 12, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
Might be they need to trim down the set a little to fit under curfews.