Author Topic: Help me understand this article.  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Help me understand this article.
« on: September 11, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »
https://money.cnn.com/2012/09/11/news/companies/ubs-whistleblower-reward/index.html?iid=Lead

A former UBS banker who provided information on the firm's vast business of helping wealthy Americans hide their assets from the Internal Revenue Service has received a $104 million whistleblower reward, which his lawyers said was the largest in U.S. history.

Am I missing something. Was this guy involved in the hiding of the assets? If so, it seems a little wrong to reward the guy with that kind of money... My mind is telling me that that can't be the case, but the article doesn't really make it clear other than...

The IRS confirmed Birkenfeld's reward but declined to comment in detail about the case.

Seems shady.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Help me understand this article.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
He's a snitch.  He dropped a dime on his employers and the Federales rewarded him generously.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »
It's the same concept that keeps stool pigeons from doing time.

Imagine you and another dude rob a bank.

3 weeks later, while drunk or high, your partner brags about robbing the bank to some friends and word gets to the cops and they pinch you both.

Now, the first one who rats on the other one walks, the one who got ratted out does 16 years in the joint.

Same concept here.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »
He's a snitch.  He dropped a dime on his employers and the Federales rewarded him generously.

Right. But did he actually partake in the hiding of assets or no.

3 weeks later, while drunk or high, your partner brags about robbing the bank to some friends and word gets to the cops and they pinch you both.

Now, the first one who rats on the other one walks, the one who got ratted out does 16 years in the joint.

Same concept here.

Okay, but say it's not robbing a bank. Say it's the kidknapping, raping, and the murdering of a couple of school girls from a playground. If one of them were to come clean, they sure as hell wouldn't get away with it. If anything it would just be viewed as a confession. I don't understand why a matter like this isn't dealt with in a similar fashion.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »
Because they need testimony from one of the guilty parties in order to prosecute anyone, and sometimes the only way to get it is to strike a deal. 

My understanding, anyway.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

Same concept here.

Okay, but say it's not robbing a bank. Say it's the kidknapping, raping, and the murdering of a couple of school girls from a playground. If one of them were to come clean, they sure as hell wouldn't get away with it. If anything it would just be viewed as a confession. I don't understand why a matter like this isn't dealt with in a similar fashion.

That's different.  There's vast sums of money involved here, and this guy helped the IRS recover it.  I'm sure the reward they paid him pales in comparison to what he helped them get back.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »

Same concept here.

That's different.  There's vast sums of money involved here, and this guy helped the IRS recover it.  I'm sure the reward they paid him pales in comparison to what he helped them get back.

I don't care that he got a reward. I just think it's shit that he got away scott free.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
It says he was sentenced to 40 months, which has now been converted to home confinement.  That's not scot-free.

And in your example, I doubt they'd let the guy off the hook.  They'd offer him 40 years instead of a near certain death penalty.  People cop all the time to avoid a death sentence. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
It says he was sentenced to 40 months, which has now been converted to home confinement.  That's not scot-free.   

No, but probably at least Scott-free.  :haggis:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:57:20 AM »
Slightly messed up I suppose but it's really nothing compared to how major financial institutions are constantly being caught engaging in fraudulent and criminal activity and subsequently are let go with a relatively small settlement with no prosecution of top executives.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
What you need to ask is whether or not the situation is better or worse off now.  If you start telling potential snitches that you're going to come down just as hard on them as you will their employers, you're never going to get any help at all.  By cutting one guy some slack they're able to get convictions on the people actually running the place, and get leads on lots of other people who were only tangentially related.  It's a pretty good outcome for The Man.

As for me, I hope he gets shanked whilst doing the dishes during his home confinement. 
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
 :lol

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:58:30 AM »
What a stooge. If only every company could be so bold as to not only help their clients but themselves tell the Government to go shove it.

It would only take 10% of the population to refuse to pay taxes for the Federal Government to stop dead in its tracks. Only then could we have a chance to rebuild the economy on sound footing.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
^An airtight plan

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »