Author Topic: A Dramatic Turn Of Events - One Year On  (Read 17753 times)

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
Re: A Dramatic Turn Of Events - One Year On
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
I hesitated to rank this record until now, but I think the timing is appropriate to do so because it has been in my rotation for a year.

With Awake at #1 and Images and Words at #2, ADTOE falls in at #3 - which honestly blows my mind.  SDOIT and ToT round out the top five.

FII would be at three probably if it had become what it should have been.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
I still love it but it went from my #2 favorite to #4.

Currently my favorites are:
1. Scenes From A Memory
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Images and Words
4. A Dramatic Turn of Events
5. Octavarium

I think it'll stay at number 4 for a while. Over the last year, I've began to really enjoy disc 1 of 6DOIT a lot more than I used to and I've been really into I&W, so those 2 albums were bumped up. And I doubt Octavarium will ever get higher than it.

My favorite song is still Breaking All Illusions but I love the whole thing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
#4 isn't a bad place to be.  I think I origally had it at #4 when it first came out.  Then I realized that, given how consistent it is, there's no way I can rank it behind Images.  I mean, Images has some of the best songs they have ever done.  But in terms of the actually number of really good songs, it only really has 4, and then a couple of "pretty good" ones. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
Probably fourth or fifth for me.  It ranks in the second tier.  First tier is I&W and Awake, second tier includes SFAM and 6DOIT.  And ADTOE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »
Awake
Images and Words
FII/ADTOE
WDADU
the rest

Offline BanksD

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »
Aside from the production, I can't really say anything about this album. Everything is well written and well performed.

But...I don't know. Feels a bit too safe for me. Like DT said "Let's just give the fans what they want, and only challenge ourselves on a purely physical level".

Yeah pretty much this for me, has some really great songs, but just doesn't feel like it pushes the envelope like a lot of my favorite DT albums do, which is fine, since they've been pretty complacent for the past few albums.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2012, 07:38:11 AM »
The album has aged really well for me and I still listen to it a lot. I find it incredibly strong from start to finish and I find that I don't reach for the skip button.

1. BC&SL
2. ADTOE
3. TOT
4. 8VA

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2012, 07:45:24 AM »
Still my least fav DT album, but it's grown on me since its release.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »
Top 4 for me.

6DOIT
I&W
SFMA
ADTOE
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
Loved it on release and still do.
Considering whether it makes my top 50 or not- and as I've limited it to two albums per band that shows how I feel about it. I do struggle to rank DT albums- I'm a fanboy, what can I say?

Offline majo

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
i have 2 groups of DT albums:
1. sfam, awake, 6doit, iw, fii, tot, achos - i listen quite regularly and whole disc most of the time
2. dramatic, oct, wdadu, bcsl - listen just from time to time and only specific song usually

+ there is SC which i dont listen at all  ::)
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
This thread has prompted me to listen to this album again, I think, for the first time in over 4 months. I've been playing it in my car during my commutes around town, and it's still sounding as good as it first did, and for me it has aged pretty well.

I still hold it up high among the band's other great works like IAW, Awake, SFAM and SDOIT. I'd say it's on par with TOT, 8VM and BC&SL, and definitely above FII, WDADU and SC.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »
It was horrible when it came out and still is IMO. I'm joking! Actually I still find it to be very good. I don't care that much for the two ballads near the end of the record or BMUBMD, but apart from that it's all killer. It's still a top 3 record for me. SFAM will always be number one, ADTOE and I&W are constantly fighting for the second place with 6DOIT on a good fourth place (the first track is dragging it down).
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »
For me it has settled into the middle of the pack somewhere musically.  I'm afraid the production values hold it back quite a bit though.   I hope they do something different -sonically- on the next album.

What production issues are you referring to?  The only thing I do not like, production-wise, is that the drums do not sound as crisp or have as much "pop" as how Portnoy's drums were recorded/mixed.  But I am curious to hear what issues you have with the production.

Well, it's hard to put a finger on any one specific thing because it's a combination of factors that lead me to hear the album in a way that makes me think that I'm either listening to it through a sheet of cardboard or someone threw a blanket over the speakers or something.

If I put on an album that I consider to have really good production values, like Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind" and listen to that entire album, then follow it up directly with ADTOE, the difference is quite obvious to me.

It's not terrible, mind you.  But it's among my least favorite albums from Dream Theater in terms of the sonic experience.  Musically, I dig it quite a bit though.  And the production being a bit on the dull side doesn't prevent me from enjoying it.  Although I admit I would rather it sounded more like "The Whirlwind"

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »
When I listen to it, time goes faster, so that's a good indicator - I also find myself looking forward to stuff coming up on it.  Which, I guess means that I like it.  However, the things that bug me about ADTOE are:

1. My impression of the album is that James melodic vocal lines are overdubbed way more than usual  - I'm wondering if this is a Rich Chycki thing, cos he does the same thing with Geddy.  If I focus on that, it will really bother me - to the point where, I actually listen to Wither to remind myself that he can sing a melody without doubling it.  It softens the impact of his vocals, and I wonder if it indicates a lack of personal faith in his singing.  I think I prefer his performance on Wither to any of the slow songs on this album.

2. MM comes across as session-y.  I have a friend who's a drummer who really likes what he does.  I get that he's really tasteful and technical in how he plays.  I know nothing about drums, but MP seemed more aggressive, excessive, and just seemed to bang more.  That's what I miss about MP.  And, MP always had these cool counterpoints to the music .. Hopefully, he will be able to be more assertive for the next album, but then its kind of harsh if fans like me want him to be MP. 

So, I realise, that I like James' voice cos his incredible belting ability (which is negated by the heap of melodic overdubs on this album), and I liked MP's drumming cos of his banging.  So, I guess overall, this album is missing banging and belting ..

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »
In summary: a step in the right direction, and a return to the DT we all love.

- The best album since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance.
- "Breaking All Illusions" = best track since "Octavarium".

Offline userx

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2012, 02:13:11 AM »
it has gotten a lot worse in my opinion

1. although it is intersting that they basically copied I&W, after a while you cease to appreciate that and it becomes a part of the dislike.

2. there is no perfect song - BAI comes close but the chorus and the ending are too uninspired
3. outcry is only 20% good for me, solo section is forced and the main theme doesn't deserve to be repeated
4. apart from being a copy of UAGM, LNF is a bad copy and I manage to listen through the whole song only due to good parts here and there
05. BITS - dull riffing all around
6. ballads are boring except TITL which is nice
7. BMUBMD is in the level of these walls and wither, which means, better left unheard
8. OTBOA - qualitywise is most consistent but nothing really special happens

bottom line:
songs I like: BAI, TITL and maybe OTBA, everything else is uncreative, forced, copycat and uninspired. I rank the albums along with the worst DT has made.
hopefully they will be more venturefull with the next release because I don't want this to be a declining trend because in my opinion, nothing since six degrees apart from a song here and there is worthy the DT name

A bit harsh, i know, but I learned to expect better from DT and ofcourse it's just my opinion

Offline ApparatusUnearth

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
The instrumental sections on that album are some of their best.
Dracula called and he said he's coming over tonight for you and I said okay.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
The instrumental sections on that album are some of their best.
Especially the sections in Outcry and Breaking all Illusions. :biggrin:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »

1. although it is intersting that they basically copied I&W, after a while you cease to appreciate that and it becomes a part of the dislike.

2. there is no perfect song - BAI comes close but the chorus and the ending are too uninspired
3. outcry is only 20% good for me, solo section is forced and the main theme doesn't deserve to be repeated
4. apart from being a copy of UAGM, LNF is a bad copy and I manage to listen through the whole song only due to good parts here and there
7. BMUBMD is in the level of these walls and wither, which means, better left unheard

bottom line:
songs I like: BAI, TITL and maybe OTBA, everything else is uncreative, forced, copycat and uninspired. I rank the albums along with the worst DT has made.
hopefully they will be more venturefull with the next release because I don't want this to be a declining trend because in my opinion, nothing since six degrees apart from a song here and there is worthy the DT name

A bit harsh, i know, but I learned to expect better from DT and ofcourse it's just my opinion

I almost never respond to stuff on internet that would upset me in real life because it doesn't make much sense usually, but when I see some opinion like this and now I mean only the "they basically copied IAW" thing, then I get really angry. They used the STRUCTURES of some IAW songs just like all the popular bands in 99% of songs use the same one overused structure of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus.

The only thing that is a lot different here is the fact that IAW has many structures that are special and are a lot different and more interesting, so when they used those structures again for ADTOE it is very noticeable, but it's still just a STRUCTURE  >:( Only song where I would admit it goes a bit beyond structure and into actual music is UAGM/LNF but both songs are awesome anyway so who cares...

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »

bottom line:

I almost never respond to stuff on internet that would upset me in real life because it doesn't make much sense usually, but when I see some opinion like this and now I mean only the "they basically copied IAW" thing, then I get really angry. They used the STRUCTURES of some IAW songs just like all the popular bands in 99% of songs use the same one overused structure of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus.

The only thing that is a lot different here is the fact that IAW has many structures that are special and are a lot different and more interesting, so when they used those structures again for ADTOE it is very noticeable, but it's still just a STRUCTURE  >:( Only song where I would admit it goes a bit beyond structure and into actual music is UAGM/LNF but both songs are awesome anyway so who cares...

I've been thinking about this recently. DT have to know how hardcore their fans are (most being musicians) and the way fans critically analyze their music. If they did deliberately draw arrangements/song structures from Images and Words, wouldn't they have known fans would undoubtedly realize?

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

bottom line:

I've been thinking about this recently. DT have to know how hardcore their fans are (most being musicians) and the way fans critically analyze their music. If they did deliberately draw arrangements/song structures from Images and Words, wouldn't they have known fans would undoubtedly realize?

I guess they knew fans will realize it, maybe they didn't think that fans will overanalyze it and take it as copying IAW. And yes maybe they should have predicted that either, even though it's not true. But they didn't want to hide it or something I remember very clearly that in one interview JP responded to question about ADTOE and if it's going to be return to their old sound that the music sounds like modern DT but the song structures are similar to their old albums.

Offline userx

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »

bottom line:

Yeah, you said it: Structures. What if I pay a great deal of attention to structures and dislike when people repeat themselves? Having said that, I'm almost allergic to choruses or any kind of needless repetitions for that matter.

Don't need to get angry, It's not as if I hadn't provided arguments for my opinions

Offline Yoshi Yogurt

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
Extremely solid and still is.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »

bottom line:

Yeah, you said it: Structures. What if I pay a great deal of attention to structures and dislike when people repeat themselves? Having said that, I'm almost allergic to choruses or any kind of needless repetitions for that matter.

Don't need to get angry, It's not as if I hadn't provided arguments for my opinions

Okay that's a different thing if you really have problem with structures repetition outside of just IAW, ADTOE comparison then I'm sorry. I get what you mean because for example in my own music I very rarely repeat any themes or motives and it usually always goes forward. However I have almost no problem with this kind of thing in other music I listen to as long as it doesn't take away from the song, but that doesn't matter I get your point now and I hope you got mine too :)

Offline johncal

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2012, 02:42:34 PM »
I can't believe this whole IAW rip off thing is being resurrected again. LAME..... really?

Offline userx

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
what, people can't have their own opinions... especially since it is obvious that they copied a lot of the structures and even more than that on LNF? Copying itself is not itself a bad thing unless you're like me and dislike that sort of thing but I also said, aside from that, that I do not like the general creativity of the album and feel that most of the time they are taking the easy road. Again. that's only my take at reviewing the album, MY

Offline PwnsomeWin

I dislike ADTOE
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2013, 06:36:08 AM »
I don't like ADTOE. The only songs I feel are good enough to be DT are On The Backs Of Angels, Breaking All Illusions, and maybe Beneath The Surface. The rest seem really similar to each other.

However, I haven't listened to this album much. Maybe I'll start liking it more, I dunno. Your opinions on this album?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: I dislike ADTOE
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2013, 06:37:44 AM »
I don't really like it either. But I never felt the need to start a thread about it I guess.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »
I guess the reason I made the thread is I really want to like it. Plus, I saw a thread about someone saying Awake is their favorite album.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2013, 06:44:15 AM »
I don't really like it either. But I never felt the need to start a thread about it I guess.

Just my thoughts, Milena.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:08 AM »
Peace, I won't kill you this time. But say the same about Images And Words and I'll remind JP that, all considered, you are a small mammal  :angel:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:23 AM »
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, people start threads for all sorts of things, it's just that it never stroke me as a controversial opinion to have, although on DTF it kind of is :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:51 AM »
My opinions?

- Definitely a step in the right direction for DT after the weak SC and BCSL.
- It's still in the upper half on my DT album ranking list.
- Breaking All Illusions is their best song since the release of 6DOIT.
- The only tracks I find to be the weak spots are BMUBMD and Outcry. Maybe Far From Heaven too.
- Mangini proved to be a great fit for the band, and it will be interesting to see how he contributed to the writing of the new album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »
ADTOE is one of my favorite DT albums, because the songwriting is so solid and balanced. That said, you can't force yourself to like something if it just doesn't do anything to you - everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)