Author Topic: A Dramatic Turn Of Events - One Year On  (Read 17756 times)

Offline adastra

Re: A Dramatic Turn Of Events - One Year On
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2013, 06:09:39 AM »
I love it! It's fresh, interesting, exciting, intense, adventurous, varied, polished, a different experience with each listening. Just the way progressive music should be. Easily the best since SDOIT and I don't even think that's up for debate if we go by the popular vote.

I couldn't disagree more :D   IMO if it would have been Frest, interesting, exciting, intense, etc.   It would have been completely different album. haha :D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
I love it! It's fresh, interesting, exciting, intense, adventurous, varied, polished, a different experience with each listening. Just the way progressive music should be. Easily the best since SDOIT and I don't even think that's up for debate if we go by the popular vote. 

It's always up for debate, and I'd definitely disagree with it.
I'd easily rank ToT and Octavarium above it, both having songs that leave anything on ADTOE for dead imo. And at worst I'd rank SC and BCASL just behind ADTOE (with all three albums right at the bottom of my rankings regardless).
ADTOE may be a slight improvement over BCASL, but it's still only middle of the pack for post-SDOIT albums imo.
I meant that the general consensus here seemed to be that ADTOE is better than anything since SDOIT. I happen to agree. I like every single DT album, but ToT is a bit one dimensional, Octavarium is all over the place, SC and BCSL have too much of the "Portnoy effect".

By counting the songs that I really like:
ToT - Endless Sacrifice, As I Am
Octavarium - The Root of All Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack, Octavarium (yeah, maybe this one has a chance to best ADTOE)
SC - ITPOE1&2, TDEN
BCSL - ANTR, The Shattered Fortress
ADTOE - OTBOA, LNF, Outcry, Bridges in the Sky, Breaking All Illusions (I like them almost equally, if I had to pick a favorite, they would be pretty much interchangeable)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:20:46 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
How about we don't compare Portnoy to the mass death of hundreds of millions of people.  :\
I'm sure the forum rules imply that somewhere, even if not spelled out.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2013, 09:12:44 AM »
Gee wizz, it's an expression, like saying ADTOE is plagued by bad mix or ToT by compressed sound. Many of my problems with those albums can apparently be linked to Mike's musical direction and taste. Still love his playing, sound and even him as a person.  :chill

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:40 AM »
Uh, the noun plague has very different connotations to the verb plague though. I'd stick to the verb, ok? :P

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »
I can see why, it's just the way ended up phrasing it for the sake of simplicity. Anyway, I made it more PC. Still not as bad as criticizing the "Best of Times" lyrics though. :neverusethis:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2013, 09:39:09 AM »
Since Sycsa edited his post, it looks like Blob is massively overreacting to a perfectly innocent post. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »
Since Sycsa edited his post, it looks like Blob is massively overreacting to a perfectly innocent post. :lol

Oh no, now everyone's going to think BlobVanDam overreacts to things in DT side!

It originally said "Portnoy plague", but "Portnoy effect" I'm perfectly fine with. Now you may resume your regular scheduled programming. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »
Have Fosters will ya!

I really like ADTOE.  Top 4 for me.

1. SDOIT
2. I&W
3. SFAM
4. ADTOE
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:11:20 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
A Dramatic Turn of Ferrets?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
A Dramatic Turn of Ferrets?

Fixed! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2013, 11:17:29 PM »
What I'm trying to say is that while the album is one of their best overall there are no song on it that I think is so overwhelmingly beautifully written that it brings tears to my eyes each time I sit down to actively listen to it.

I respect this, but I have to disagree - Far From Heaven and Breaking All Illusions are that powerful IMO and they bring me to tears on a regular basis.  YMMV, as always. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
Unlike Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds & Silver Linings - A Dramatic Turn Of Events doesn't have one song that - two years on - I skip every

time.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2013, 04:53:27 AM »
My opinion hasn't changed: the album is quite good, with one peak of absolute awesomeness, which is Breaking All Illusions. I'll be extremely happy if next album sounds like that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
Two years on - I still don't get the fuss with Breaking All Illusions. It's good but it's not even my favourite song on the album.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:58 AM »
I could do with some new shit now.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »
I think DT can do better with their next album. I wasn't feeling the renewed band so much with ADTOE, which probably has so much to do with their situation at the time and MM not writing his own parts.

ADTOE is for me really an album with a few really awesome parts, sandwiched between so many unnecessary musical statements. With the instrumental section of Outcry as the worst offender; there is already one in Metropolis pt. 1 and you can't make one just like it, and be better. That said, there's a little section there where everybody's playing laidback, with JP playing a really nice, slow lead. That's where I'm hoping DT is headed. I'm sure they can come up with great music, while cutting back a little bit on the virtuosic, busy instrumentals. They already did it with 8VM and it worked: The instrumental section in the title track made so much more impact.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »
I know that Outcry is an offender for many, but the solo section is among my absolute favorite parts of the album and Jordan's piano run peaking at 6:31 is one of the most satisfying DT moments ever. Also, I don't really see the Metropolis connection, it sounds a bit forced.