Author Topic: Sacrificed Sons Appreciation Thread  (Read 9538 times)

Offline krands85

Re: Sacrificed Sons Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
My second favorite track on Octavarium. Awesome instrumental section and the song ends amazingly
This exactly  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Yoshi Yogurt

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »
Sorry, but this is the weakest song on Octavarium for me. Don't really like anything about it at all.

Offline ArchVile

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »
amish steak
will mankind be a steak

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:25 AM »
Sorry, but this is the weakest song on Octavarium for me. Don't really like anything about it at all.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
Well, it's that time of year again, so I thought I'd revive this thread and say that Sacrificed Sons is musically one of the best DT songs ever. The subject matter makes me listen to it fairly less often than other DT songs, but when it's time, it's time, and today, I performed it at Karaoke and it felt very satisfying.

Great song.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline adamack

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
It took me a minute to develop the audacity to say this, but screw it. One of my favorite DT songs of all time.

Also, bold statement of the week: This is, IMO, the most badass riff from any band, at any point, in the history of music:

https://youtu.be/3nBpLzNwkZw?t=7m18s

I can listen to this riff a hundred thousand times, and get an adrenaline rush one hundred thousand times.

And this is one of the most epic, hair raising sections of music ever composed:

https://youtu.be/3nBpLzNwkZw?t=6m24s

Okay, so the beginning of the song verges on cheesy in a few parts, but I don't even care anymore.

Top 5 DT instrumental sections ever. I always respect another one's opinion, but it's just so hard for my brain to comprehend how someone could not like this amazing, orchestral instrumental section.  ???

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »
I really like this song, quite a lot. The beginning plods along a little bit yes, but it quickly redeems itself, and in a big way. Awesome riffs, Great leads and soaring melodies, epic strings, balls-to-the-wall heavy in parts...it's got everything. It's another in a long, long list of criminally underappreciated songs.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
This song is one of the reasons 8vm is my 2nd fave DT album.  I love it.  Start to finish.  Love the instrumental section.  Score version is bone chilling.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:40 PM »
*snip*

You can include timestamps but I'd take out those links if I were you

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
The news clips sampled in the beginning always send chills down my spine. I remember seeing those news stories when I woke up that day.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34:34 AM »
Lovely song. JP's guitar playing is really outstanding, being more laid back in the beginning, but starting with the instrumental section, there are loads of fantastic riffs in the song. And of course the unusual, but great guitar solo :tup

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:00 AM »
I looooooooove the section at about 7:50 (teach them what to think and feel..).  It's so heavy (so powah so energy!) and eerie sounding.  :D

Great song and one of my favorites.  Was so surprised when they played it on PN09 in ATL; was really shocked when they played One Last Time though!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 02:55:23 AM »
I've got to say, even though the events at NYC didn't affect me directly, when they played that song here in Rio de Janeiro in the BC&SL tour, when james sang "heads are turning towards the sky" and they showed on the big screen people with scared faces with what was going on, I got a tear in my eye. Love the song.

Offline Systematik88

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 03:39:38 AM »
This is actually my all time favorite DT song.  9/11 always hits home to me and the lyrics are so strong in my opinion.  The instrumental is just perfect and the solos seem to go along with the feeling of the song.

Offline nicbor87

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:43 AM »
I hate it when DT gets political, but SS is an exception. I really like it.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2021, 08:32:39 PM »
Does anyone else see the main bit in this song in relation to "I Want You (She's So Heavy" by The Beatles? (the song which they coincidentally used to model the abrupt ending of Pull Me Under from).

I don't know if this has ever been pointed out or not..

(I also see some influence of "I Want You" in ITPOE pt 2, except the time signature being in 4/4 instead of 6/8)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:37:56 PM by AVFTTOTW »
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2021, 08:37:24 PM »
I hate it when DT gets political, but SS is an exception. I really like it.

I like it. It never feels preachy or one-sided. Those topics are always interesting to me.