Author Topic: Shaking Up The System  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Ħ

Shaking Up The System
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »
Does anyone else hope that DT stops the two year album/tour cycle that they've stuck to? It does mean DT has consistent output of material, but...it's kinda boring. ADTOE was good and it had the core DT sound...but it was just...boring. It wasn't surprising. The live shows were fantastic, but the music itself? Not bad at all, but uninteresting.

Instead, I wish that they'd "shake up the system" for DT12. Do something kinda crazy. I don't know what...but something different that surprises all of us. Something that would reignite the love for DT inside the fans that are burned out on the same old stuff.

These are my musings this morning. What do y'all think?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:58:14 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Shaking Up The System
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:48:46 PM »
I disagree about ADTOE being boring.

But I wouldn't mind some radical changes for DT12.  Could be fun.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »
Does anyone else hope that DT stops the two year album/tour cycle that they've stuck to?

Yeah, I think I've heard that suggested before.  Where did I hear that, now?

Oh, right! :psychosane:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
I obviously don't mean a complete break. :lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »
I've been wishing for it often, but it's clear they like what they're doing now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
Does anyone else hope that DT stops the two year album/tour cycle that they've stuck to? It does mean DT has consistent output of material, but...it's kinda boring. ADTOE was good and it had the core DT sound...but it was just...boring. It wasn't surprising. The live shows were fantastic, but the music itself? Not bad at all, but uninteresting.

Instead, I wish that they'd "shake up the system" for DT12. Do something kinda crazy. I don't know what...but something different that surprises all of us. Something that would reignite the love for DT inside the fans that are burned out on the same old stuff.

Absolutely not.  Their music continues to be fresh and inspiring, and most fans are excited about any newly released material.  If anything, I wish they could find the time to accellerate the cycle somewhat, even though I know it is unlikely. 

Personally, I think anyone who finds a band "boring" simply because they release material on a regular schedule and doesn't include some shocking new "surprise" on each album just needs to adjust their own expectations and grow an attention span.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »
:clap:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
I don't actually see what the release schedule has to do with the 'boring' music anyway.  If they took five years instead it would magically become crazy and new and exciting?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »
This is H we're talking about.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
I think the two-year system is fine. We really don't have a sample set of albums to determine how the music will sound with the new line-up, so we don't know if the two-year system will actually continue to effect them in the same way that you think. ADTOE (sort of) meets those requirements, but there was no MM input, except for his own parts. I'd say we will have to see how the next two albums go before we make any judgment on if the two-year cycle actually affects the quality of the music. They've also written material on the road during this past tour that could make it onto the new album, which they haven't done in years.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
I don't think they need a break, just for the record, but I have a personal prejudice against two-year cycles.

Yeah I don't get myself either.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
I don't actually see what the release schedule has to do with the 'boring' music anyway.  If they took five years instead it would magically become crazy and new and exciting?
No, but the two year cycle fosters a certain "factory production" mindset.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
Ah, I see.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
I'm pretty content with what they are doing, and I don't want to give them any advice. Above all, they should go into the studio and record albums when they feel that they should do so, and neither be rushed or stalled by outside forces - that, I think, could lead them record a boring album. If they are comfortable with their 2-year-cycle, then they should by all means continue (though it probably helps that I quite like ADTOE, actually - had I not, my opinion might be different :hat).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »

Nah, because this is entirely subjective. Just because you find something boring doesn't necessarily mean it is boring for everyone. The burn that flickered out within you has nothing to do with DTs writing or performance, it has everything to do with how you interpret what they do and how it ultimately affects you. What's old to you can remain fresh for others in the same amount of time passed. Others get bored after listening to 30 seconds of any kind of music, which is why mediocrity rules, dude!

Personally, I think as long as these guys are doing what they want and not held back by the opinions of the masses and the corporate entity, they're doing great and I'm a content guy.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
This whole cycle too fast thing is a little bizarre, it used to be commonplace for albums to be released every year in the 60's through the early 80's.  Lots of great albums in that span, gestation of material isn't about time between albums but time spent on a single album.  If the artists have the energy and desire it doesn't really matter how long it's been.  Some people will like it, some won't, that's just the way it is.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
I'll just throw it out there that ADTOE, for me, is far from being boring or uninteresting.  Quite the opposite, in fact; it's a breath of fresh air, because I wasn't a fan of the previous two albums.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
I would also add that in interviews I've read artists talk about how songs have formed ideas they've had for decades, either in their bag of licks or on some old demo recording.  I always got the impression that a lot of these artists are sitting around with bags full of half ideas waiting for the right moment to use them.  Not everything is created on the fly.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
If you didn't like A Dramatic Turn of Events, or thought it was boring, then it's time to consider the following: What's changed? Dream Theater, or your tastes?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
If you didn't like A Dramatic Turn of Events, or thought it was boring, then it's time to consider the following: What's changed? Dream Theater, or your tastes?
Well my tastes don't change that rapidly. Is it possible that, you know, someone just doesn't like something without it being a sign of great change in the band or his/her tastes? ;)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »
On thinking about this later in the day, ADTOE did have a few new elements. Mike Mangini, the drummer audition footage, the preview snippets....not to mention the live performances were done in a new way for DT. I'm probably being nitpicky. :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
Not with you at all, I'm afraid. A change is as good as a break, and they've got a new drummer, a new band leader, a new status quo with a new ethos, increased contributions from John Myung, outside producers on the vocals, Mike Mangini will be writing on the next album... they're fine for change, right now!

I love weirdness, and revel in changes, but they've only just had the biggest one of their career! Do I hope the new album surprises me, and treads new ground, and proves Dream Theater are capable of working in new formats and doing new things I would have never expected to hear on a DT album? Yep, totally. But they've just endured their biggest change in 20-odd years. They're hardly slouching.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »
I'll admit that I didn't like ADTOE very much at first, but it grew on me over time.  It's not even close to boring.  However, I do skip a couple tracks on a regular basis (Far From Heaven, Beneath The Surface) because I just can't get into those songs.  The rest of the album is fantastic.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Well my tastes don't change that rapidly. Is it possible that, you know, someone just doesn't like something without it being a sign of great change in the band or his/her tastes? ;)

Well, not when it's as good as ADTOE. Sorry  ;D

I'm probably being nitpicky. :)

You're not a seasoned fan until you enter the "nitpicky" stage!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:41:04 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
ADTOE wasn't boring; BC&SL was boring. I'd like to see them go in a more experimental direction next time, though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »
While ADTOE was a bit dull, I don't think it has anything to do with the 2 year cycle, and they've managed to release a lot of great albums from a 2 year cycle. It also sounds like they've been doing a bit of writing on the road this time, so I don't see a problem at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »
While ADTOE was a bit dull, I don't think it has anything to do with the 2 year cycle, and they've managed to release a lot of great albums from a 2 year cycle. It also sounds like they've been doing a bit of writing on the road this time, so I don't see a problem at all.

Well according to JR, they have a few jams so far but nothing else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »

Well according to JR, they have a few jams so far but nothing else.

Ok. I just recall hearing about it a couple of times, but I wasn't sure to what extent. I figured it was something more than that, but I guess not.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 11:58:10 PM »
Taking a break would've been a good idea in the SC/BC&SL era when they were running out of steam but now they have Mike Mangini with them in the writing process and they seem enthusiastic enough to put a new album out as soon as possible.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »

Absolutely not.  Their music continues to be fresh and inspiring, and most fans are excited about any newly released material.  If anything, I wish they could find the time to accellerate the cycle somewhat, even though I know it is unlikely. 

Personally, I think anyone who finds a band "boring" simply because they release material on a regular schedule and doesn't include some shocking new "surprise" on each album just needs to adjust their own expectations and grow an attention span.

^^This exactly
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 01:27:46 AM »
Okay, that makes three people that think I need to adjust my expectations and grow an attention span. Sheesh, I'm a Symphony X fan. They release an album about once every ten years.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 02:52:54 AM »
Okay, that makes three people that think I need to adjust my expectations and grow an attention span. Sheesh, I'm a Symphony X fan. They release an album about once every ten years.
Well, I don't think so. I partly agree with you. I really like ADTOE, but it isn't the most original album DT have ever made. It's still more original than BC&SL, though. But I don't think this is due to the two year cycle. I think that with MM participating in the writing of the next album, that album will become a lot more interesting than ADTOE. They might not do something crazy, but I've got a feeling that it won't be a ADTOE 2.0.

Online Mladen

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »
As a matter of fact, I don't mind releasing an album every year, as long as the albums are as good as A Dramatic turn of events.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »
On the contrary; as I just stated in the other thread, I miss the days when my favorite bands put out new quality albums EVERY YEAR. I'm thinking Maiden 1980-1986 as kind of the gold standard, but you also have Rush 1976-1981 and tons of other examples from that era. The 2-year cycle is too long for me.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »
The "problem" is in your mind. I mean, it is just your perception. I'm SymphonyX fan too and for me what they do is just horrible, they are wasting their time as a band imho by releasing albums every 5-6 years.
All what DT is doing these days is amazing for me and I hope they continue releasing albums, but not every 2 years, let's hope every year. I miss the days when a band put out a new quality album every year too. I suppose it is because the album sales are not the same anymore, and they focus a lot  in touring.