Author Topic: Idiocracy  (Read 2214 times)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
Idiocracy
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Recent conversations with people who believe the filth being spewed by certain politicians has brought me back to this classic movie. 

This scene in particular is just fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Idiocracy
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
When my friend described this movie I couldn't wait to see it.... then I saw it.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
^That, basically.  The premise is smart (I guess), but the movie itself is really quite bad.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »
When my friend described this movie I couldn't wait to see it.... then I saw it.

My friend did the same, and i loved it. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
I will agree that it was a better idea than it was a movie...but it really wasn't that bad.

Mike Judge has a tendency to make hilarious commentaries more than he makes cohesive films.   Even his crown jewel (Office Space) is guilty of this.   It starts with Peter getting hypnotized...but somewhere along the line, that whole hypnotism premise just magically disappears.   Does it just...wear off??    But really, the actual office humor that permeates the film is so funny and relatable, that you end up just forgetting about it.    It's still a classic...but mostly for having incredibly funny scenes and jokes...NOT because it's great film making.    You could argue that Caddyshack was exactly the same way.    The story line was secondary to the hilarious scenes.   

Idiocracy has the same thing...but doesn't *quite* hold your attention as much as Office Space did.   Although there are some *GOLDEN* scenes.   The futuristic hospital is still one that sticks out in my mind.   The lawyer was a fantastic character.   And whole scene in Costco had me roaring with laughter.   

I've been thinking I need to see this movie again. 

But while we're on the subject of Mike Judge films...did anyone ever see Extract with Justin Bateman and Mila Kunis?    I heard that was meant to be a companion piece to Office Space, but I never saw it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
Yeah, as others have said, the premise is wonderful and it's got plenty of hysterical bits, but overall it's far too silly for my liking. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
Even his crown jewel (Office Space) is guilty of this.   It starts with Peter getting hypnotized...but somewhere along the line, that whole hypnotism premise just magically disappears.   Does it just...wear off??   

This, too.  I still think Office Space is a very good film, but it's hardly cohesive as a story.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
But while we're on the subject of Mike Judge films...did anyone ever see Extract with Justin Bateman and Mila Kunis?    I heard that was meant to be a companion piece to Office Space, but I never saw it.

Personally, I don't think it's anywhere near as entertaining. Extract just doesn't have the hilarious scenes those other movies did. It's just kind of dull in comparison.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »

Personally, I don't think it's anywhere near as entertaining. Extract just doesn't have the hilarious scenes those other movies did. It's just kind of dull in comparison.

Agreed.  Better to watch Idiocracy (or Office Space) again than Extract.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »
"Idiocracy" must be viewed multiple times to understand the brilliance.  The first time I watched it, I was less then impressed.  I caught in again on cable a couple of months later and thought it was funnier than I remembered.  I once again came across it surfing the tube and couldn't believe how accurate the stupidity level of the future was being portrayed.  Maybe it's because I work in retail and have to deal with the public consumer on a daily basis, but ya, this movie is scary true.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
"Idiocracy" must be viewed multiple times to understand the brilliance.  The first time I watched it, I was less then impressed.  I caught in again on cable a couple of months later and thought it was funnier than I remembered.  I once again came across it surfing the tube and couldn't believe how accurate the stupidity level of the future was being portrayed.  Maybe it's because I work in retail and have to deal with the public consumer on a daily basis, but ya, this movie is scary true.

I honestly thought this the very first time I saw it.   

The only thing that takes an edge off the humor, is that it *SO* true that it actually makes one extremely uncomfortable watching it.     The idea that there are people denying this is actually taking place is even scarier...because it just gives the truth fertile soil to breed in. 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 02:50:24 AM »
I'm gonna watch it again tonight.

BTW - in that clip above that i posted, i LOVE that ginger kid in the background, scratching his head like he's thinking REALLY hard. 

Offline bertoltus

• Reign on, you crazy tyrant!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 03:05:13 AM »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »
Yeah, pretty much.  When are people going to realize that every generation has claimed that the one following it is the worst ever?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline FlamTap

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
Great movie.

"And out of retirement...Beef Supreme !!!!"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
Yeah, pretty much.  When are people going to realize that every generation has claimed that the one following it is the worst ever?

It isn't a matter of "stupid people are breeding"....that's dumb.    I feel that most people actually have the same potential.   What Idiocracy pointed out to ME was the that we are becoming a less and less *EDUCATED* society.   If you don't believe THAT, we're going to have to agree to disagree. 

And I *DO* think that society is degrading drastically in this direction.   To the point where if it were to keep going unchecked, we would have lawyers getting their degree's at Costco.     (I don't think it will continue unchecked...but that is a discussion for P/R)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »
I've seen it and although it is corny, silly and exaggerated, it is a pefect example of where society is headed.  I see it all around me everywhere I go, every single day.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TL

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
While the concept is definitely better than the execution, it's still a very fun movie.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Awesome movie

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »

It isn't a matter of "stupid people are breeding"....that's dumb.    I feel that most people actually have the same potential.   What Idiocracy pointed out to ME was the that we are becoming a less and less *EDUCATED* society.   If you don't believe THAT, we're going to have to agree to disagree. 

Compared to the previous 1000 years I think we're doing alright.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »

Well more people today have college degrees than ever before. Also with technology moving forward more people have access to education than ever before. I think it's just a matter of uneducated people being WAY more vocal and publicized than ever before.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
I was unaware this film had any sort of backlash. It's a goofy fun satire. I see no reason for any elitist douche-baggery towards it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
I don't want to turn this into a P/R discussion (maybe I should open up a thread over there)...

...but a degree just means you're good at whatever you studied.    I know a kid who's earning his accounting degree, but I showed him a 6th grade reading book (a replica of a school textbook) from 100 years ago....I will admit that I could only get a bit of it.    Reading that book made me feel stupid, and I'm a successful business owner.   

The plus side is, it made me want to learn what 12 year olds used to know.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
I don't want to turn this into a P/R discussion (maybe I should open up a thread over there)...

...but a degree just means you're good at whatever you studied.    I know a kid who's earning his accounting degree, but I showed him a 6th grade reading book (a replica of a school textbook) from 100 years ago....I will admit that I could only get a bit of it.    Reading that book made me feel stupid, and I'm a successful business owner.   

The plus side is, it made me want to learn what 12 year olds used to know.

Oh I totally get that. But I think something like that isn't enough to say we're getting dumber. Yes, education isn't what it used to be, but I don't think humanity as a whole is getting dumber. I just think the dumb people are more noticeable now is all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »
Well, it also just so happens that a large number of very uneducated people being louder than ever before also gives them a much bigger say in what direction the country should take. The people who believe that hurricanes are caused by gay marriage can vote.

Edit: Wow, maybe I have been spending too much time in P/R...
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 01:24:23 AM »
Pretty much sums it up.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Juular

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 03:31:32 AM »
I tried to watch this once but had to turn it off after 15 minutes. It was just too stupid and that's coming from a guy that enjoyed Guest House Paradiso.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »
I was unaware this film had any sort of backlash. It's a goofy fun satire. I see no reason for any elitist douche-baggery towards it.

this.

Watched it again last night.  So much great humor throughout!  Judge mixes subtle satire with in-your-face jokes.  It hits the mark, for me at least.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »
Guess I'm an elitist douchebag then, I didn't really like it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
Epic movie. I laughed almost non-stop while watching it.