Author Topic: I'm so glad facebook didn't exist when I was a kid.  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Ryzee

Re: I'm so glad facebook didn't exist when I was a kid.
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
I very rarely post anything at all on Facebook, but when I do it's usually something to do with my family.  In fact I only got on Facebook last year, and it was at the urging of friends and family that I don't get to see very often who wanted to see more pictures of my kids.  So as the song goes: "and if you don't like it then hey, fuck you"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
I don't post everything about my kids, but I understand the urge.  And I hate to say that you people with no kids just don't understand, because I hate explanations like that.

So I won't say it.

But there it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
I don't have kids and I get it.

When you have kids, they're more your responsibility than anything else in your life.  Both because of biology and practical circumstances, you are more about them than anything.  They're more important than anything.  Or at least they feel that way.

In a society where we tell the world about yourselves and our lives, why wouldn't you want to shout about your kids from the rooftops.

Imagine if you entered a drawing for a Dream Theater VIP package and won.  Of course you'd take to Facebook/Twitter and let everyone know.  That's how parents feel about their kids quite often.  He walked!   He's going to school for the first time!  Oh my god!

I'm not saying posting a lot of pictures of your kids on Facebook is a good thing.  But let me posit this, why are you so eager for parents to not want to publicly show interest in their kids?  Shouldn't we be more worried about parents who see no need to be proud of their kids in public?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »
My point exactly.  Yet not everybody wants children.

What exactly is your point?  We're on this planet and because the whole point of life is to procreate, we're given an innate drive to do so.  Whether or not we want kids is irrelevant.

You seem to be saying that because some people don't want kids, or don't want them right now, then that indicates that procreation is not the point of life.  I just don't see how some people not wanting kids supports your position.
Within the context of that reply, my point was that your ancestors didn't stop fucking because everybody wants to get laid. 

As to the broader issue, trying to pin down a reason for man's existence is a silly endeavor.  There is an infinite number of possible reasons for us to be.  There's also the most likely explanation which is that we just are, and there is no rationale.  All we know is that our evolutionary ancestors had a drive to procreate, and there's still some of that left in us, although it seems to be waning somewhat quickly. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
It's not a silly endeavor, it's silly to presume you can accurately answer it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »
El Barto, I'm not talking about the philosophical question of man's existance.  I've stated that twice now.

I'm talking about the purpose of life itself, in general terms.  The most basic goal of every living thing is to spawn the next generation.  Every biologist will tell you that.  This has nothing to do with how much you do or do not have sex, or whether you like to fuck but don't want kids.  I'm really not sure where the confusion is.  They are two separate issues.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
I like to fuck, but I don't want kids.  If I had kids (or a Facebook page), I'd let Mrs. C post pictures of them, while I took to my page, posting things about tanks and hair metal and cheese (i.e. actual cheese, not the other term for hair metal).

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »
Personally, I find people who post political and/or religious crap on a regular basis far more annoying.  I've had to unsubscribe to several people in the last few weeks, including a relative, because I got tired of their crap appearing on my news feed every day.

Amen. One of my best friends has begun posting a lot of that lately, but luckily you can filter out what type of posts you see from them.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
Personally, I find people who post political and/or religious crap on a regular basis far more annoying.  I've had to unsubscribe to several people in the last few weeks, including a relative, because I got tired of their crap appearing on my news feed every day.

Amen. One of my best friends has begun posting a lot of that lately, but luckily you can filter out what type of posts you see from them.

Yup.  I must have over a hundred facebook friends (not exactly sure).  I must be down to 15 news feeds due to:
-Political rant guy
-depressed chick
-If you xxxxx, you will repost guy
-I post every mundane action in my day girl
-I post 30 pics a day of my dog or kid person
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
Joining everyone who loves to unsubscribe from bad Facebook feeds.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »
-Political rant guy
-depressed chick
-If you xxxxx, you will repost guy
-I post every mundane action in my day girl
-I post 30 pics a day of my dog or kid person

That's the Pathetic Facebook thread in a nutshell.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »
You guys forgot inspirational/self-affirmation quote person

Edit: nevermind, I guess that could be considered the same as "depressed chick."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:43:19 AM by Ryzee »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
I literally liked a page called "Pooping" but they hardly ever post new content on my feed. Bums me out cuz poop talk's amusing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
I totally agree Neon.  Facebook is a joke.  My GF hardly ever goes there anymore cause she's sick of it too and I've never had a FB account.  Seriously, people really have nothing better to do than broadcast every stupid detail of their lives?  Nobody cares regardless of what they say to your face..........book.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
I literally liked a page called "Pooping" but they hardly ever post new content on my feed. Bums me out cuz poop talk's amusing.

Okay, I'm guessing you liked that page just so all your friends would see "Black Floyd likes Pooping" on their newsfeeds, right?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »
Yeah, but then it won me over.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »
Yeah, I've got my newsfeed trimmed to wear it's mostly stuff that's relevant to me, or at least not annoying. Really, I wouldn't even have a facebook at this point, but it's my main means of communication with a lot of people (including my best friend) not only around the country but around the world, so I stick with it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
Solution: Shut your account down. Live peacefully.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:32:35 PM by SeRoX »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
I think I would have liked facebook, or at least social media and interconnectivity to have been around when I was a kid. I was very shy and had a very hard time making friends. I would think with the internet, keeping in touch with friends and finding activities that interested me would have been easier.

Now that I am 36, I have no desire whatsoever to have a facebook. And I have a 16 month old daughter who means everything to me. and I still don't feel any desire to post pictures of her on the net. I take more pictures than a Japanese tourist, but I just send them to our parents and siblings. If anyone asks to see some, or if she comes up in conversation, I will email them some.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »
I dig that and that's what I used to do, but now since most of my facebook friends are close friends and family anyway instead of having to send a bunch of different emails I can just post the pic once on facebook and everyone can see it and be happy.  Good stuff for a lazy cat like me  :tup

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
My mom has a Facebook friend who posted about how her son hid something under his bad that was so disghusting and wretched and twisted that when they moved he would be under 24 hour constant parental surveillance with nothing in his room but a mattress and no other furniture. My mom suggested a mental issue (she actually does NOT like the woman at all) to which she replied, "Oh, it's probably just nothing. LOL." after going on and on about how she needed to find a "non-violent way to deal with this".

:|
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »
Awesome parents right here.  Not really even awesome parents, but awesome people who get the fact that there are other people in the world besides their kids and it's nice to be considerate of them:

Link

Beyond cool. :tup

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post about kids and biology; I was just trying to explain it and didn't do a good job.

You didn't offend me, I was just taken a little aback. :)