Author Topic: Help me prioritize some semi major purchases.  (Read 762 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Help me prioritize some semi major purchases.
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
I agonize over every purchase I make, including most grocery items I buy each week.  I'm pretty frugal, or extremely frugal depending on who you ask, so you can imagine something on the order of $500 would drive me nuts.

So here they are, in no particular order:

1. Bike.  I bike to work, and currently use an old bike that used to belong to my sister, and is too small for me.  It's fine for the commute, which is only one mile, but on longer trips, its a bit rough.  I am considering this bike but would like to get one used to save some $$.  I haven't found one like this on craigslist yet, but I keep looking.

2. New PC.  My current one just turned 10 years old, and I have thought about replacing it for a few years already.  It's held up well so far, but it's finally showing its age.  I'd probably build my own with some help on the components from a friend.

3.  Snowboard.  I've gone a few times each winter for the past few years, and have already paid the equivalent of the purchase price in rentals, so this one makes some sense.  Again, I'd like to buy used if possible.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:35:55 PM by jasc15 »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Help me prioritize some semi major purchases.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »
Anybody who has known me for more than 5 minutes will know that my answer is going to be pretty biased here, but I definitely say computer.
10 years old is just too old for any computer, even just for the basics of web etc. You could put together a cheapo PC that would make a world of difference compared to such an old PC.
And I think it will be more beneficial to you in every day life than the snowboard, and even though your current bike isn't ideal, bikes don't age as badly as computers do.

There's my 2c.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
My opinion - I think the order you have them in seems best.  Work is probably your highest priority of those listed, as it is what provides the money that will allow you to buy a bike, a computer, or a snowboard.  Make sure you can make it there reliably and comfortably.  Bike first.  The computer, you'll use way more often than a snowboard, so that should likely come next.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
Well, I'd rule out the snowboard. Do you really need it now? Seems to me like you have a few months you could save before thinking about that again, anyway.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »
Sir Cosmo has the only correct answer, and he has the reasoning to back it up.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
Just make sure you get the snowboard towards the end of the snowboarding season (if not, THE END of it). It'll most likely be marked hella down

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
Your order seems about right.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 12:57:38 AM »
Yeah, definitely buy snowboarding or skiing gear at the end of the season. The only downside is you'll have to wait over half a year to get to use your new gear. I bought a pair of Head i.Supershape Titans in April or so and I fucking can't wait for when I go skiing. :D

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »
Yeah, definitely buy snowboarding or skiing gear at the end of the season. The only downside is you'll have to wait over half a year to get to use your new gear. I bought a pair of Head i.Supershape Titans in April or so and I fucking can't wait for when I go skiing. :D

Totally agreed with Kari on this one! I got a pair of Atomic Access Powder ski's that are $655 regular for $245 at the end of last season, skied on them twice and gave me that itch to ski them more, so that sorta gear you can buy then, bike would be a good first purchase, then the computer, then the snowboard
May The Force Be With You.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
So now isn't a good time to buy snow gear?  I know the end of the season is best, but we're still far from the beginning of the season (at least in the northeast).

As for saving up for these things, that's really not the problem.  I can buy them all now, but I just don't want to.  Neither of them are really urgent; even if the bike breaks I could walk to work, or drive again.

Additionally, I went golfing last month and loved it. ( I tried once before, it was awful and I had no desire to do it again)  So naturally I was thinking of getting a basic set of clubs, but with this list in my head, i sort of pushed it aside.  It's a struggle to maintain a frugal life and do enjoyable things.  Maybe i should try to find some free hobbies.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
Buy the new computer then convince your boss that with your new technology you can work from home.  Then you can sell your old bike and buy the snowboard.
But the arc of your life will still be profound