Author Topic: Private messages: "Reply to All" versus "Reply"  (Read 809 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Private messages: "Reply to All" versus "Reply"
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:09:03 PM »
Just a quick heads up to folks who've ever received a private message that was sent to multiple recipients. When you're replying to this type of PM, there will be a new button appearing that reads "Reply to All." Since the regular "Reply" button is no longer on the far left out of the group of function buttons ("Reply", "Quote", and "Delete") it's easy to not notice this and accidentally click on "Reply to All" when you only wanna reply to the cat that sent you the original PM.

Usually this is no problem but I just wanted to remind y'all about this since sometimes folks may use private messages for matters that actually are intended to be private and a slip-up where you send something you didn't want to be public knowledge to ten people can obviously create a needlessly unpleasant situation for you.

Since folks seem to be clicking on "Reply to All" due to it being at the left edge of the function buttons where the normal "Reply" button would usually be on non-group PMs, perhaps it may be a good idea to swap out the order of them so that the function buttons would read, from left to right, "Reply", "Reply to All", "Quote", and finally, "Delete."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
Re: Private messages: "Reply to All" versus "Reply"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:30 AM »
Did this just happen to you perhaps? :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:04 AM »
Sort of. I'm pretty sure I've never unintentionally used the "Reply to All" button but I have gotten a few PMs sent to me that were only intended to reply to the original sender of a group PM. Fortunately for the senders of those PMs it was never involving any sensitive information but I still feel a need to warn others so no one has to find out the hard way.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:58:07 AM »
I'd just like to get my one or two pm's a year replied to............bosk?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.