Author Topic: I just finished a prog metal (arguably) song  (Read 784 times)

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
I just finished a prog metal (arguably) song
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
I just wanted to share the first song I've ever completed. I've only made some funk songs that never got finished before and a couple of covers. This is in other words my first attempt in this genre. It's not very progressive as in complicated, but it takes a few twists and turns and has a pretty proggy part. Oh, and it's 14 minutes long. Most of the transitions between different parts are a bit weird, but that fits with the topic anyway (and I like sudden changes, I'm honestly really bored with smooth transitions in music). Some of the transitions are meant to be a bit awkward, while some make a part sound like it's copied and pasted to where it is. The parts themselves does make sense to me at least.
I'd say the song is a mixture of DT, Kamelot, Myrath and Haken. Not extremely close to any of them, but I do hear the influences myself. I played every instrument in the song, but I only consider myself a bassist. I only play the other instruments a few times a month or when recording.

https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/la-psic-pata-no-vox
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:55:23 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline ValentinBk

Re: I just finished a prog metal (arguably) song
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:43:23 AM »
Have you considered posting it without vocals? They really ruin the demo. You manage to sing "alright" for 10-15 seconds and then you miss a note, which really ruins it. But until the vocals started I was really enjoying it. Just consider my suggestion.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »
Sure can do, just updated the original post with a second link. I do think that I missed every note though, lol. I don't think any single note stands out (according to my DAW every note is in tune, but they ALL sound horrible because I have no voice - including the first 15 seconds). It's a shame I don't know a good vocalist really. Still I found that having my own shitty vocals was better than not finishing the song. I usually never finish songs because of no lead melody, that's why I forced myself to do it. Then at least I have one complete song, if I should ever come across some singing person.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:30:07 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline ValentinBk

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
Now that I listened to the whole thing... XD
Very solid work there, I definately enjoyed listening to it. And its always a good thing to have ready vocal lines even when you dont have a vocalist.