Author Topic: Liquid Tension Experiment Boxset  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Audition

Liquid Tension Experiment Boxset
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:18 AM »
Hi guys ! (:
I had some questions for you but maybe I should introduce myself a bit before that :
So, I have been a Dream Theater fan for a few years now, had a chance to listen to their firsts albums in 2005 I think, and even if I have purchased all the following albums since then, the firsts ones are those I'll always keep with me. Dream Theater is also the band that made me try something new, and even if I don't listen much to the band anymore its due to them that I can listen to most musical genres today.

So as you can guess from the title I was wondering something about the Liquid Tension Experiment Boxset, first of all, does someone know how many copies were made ? Because I can't find any information about it. And also how much is it going for today ? Has the price gone up a bit ? I'm asking it because I have purchased the box new when it first came out, and I may have to sell a few things in the future, so I don't want to do any mistakes. And also I'm a bit curious (:
Cheers guys, and sorry for my English, its far from perfect but I'm trying.

Offline Audition

Re: Liquid Tension Experiment Boxset
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
edited
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:07:50 PM by Audition »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
To be perfectly honest, DT and the side projects have flooded the market so much over the years with "special editions", they don't go up in price. It's a used item that used to cost $130, so I would guess around $100 these days.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
The other aspect that is going to kill the price is that almost everything in the box set is available as an individual purchase.  The Blu-ray is not available, but it is the same concert as the DVD.  I doubt you could recover what you paid for it even if it was sealed and in mint condition.  If the sales of the last two DT box sets is any indication, only buy the special edition stuff if you want the extras, and not as a memorabilia investment.  About the only way to get valuable band memorabilia is to have something truely limited edition, or get something before the band gets big.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
I always wanted to know if that blu ray was any good.

Offline Audition

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
About the only way to get valuable band memorabilia is to have something truely limited edition
Well the thing is if I look up on the internet for prices I can't see this boxset for sale anywhere, so thats what led me to think that it may be pretty rare. But once again I don't know how many copies were made so...
I wouldn't mind if its not really collector but I just want to make sure, I'd hate to give it away for 50 bucks if its really hard to find.
  Don't have a blu ray player so I personally have no idea, sorry

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »
I don't think it's THAT rare - in fact, I'm sure a LOT of copies were made...relatively speaking.

However, I do think that fans who do own the box set quite possibly enjoy it enough to want to keep it...forever! So I doubt you'll see anyone selling theirs for any reason, unless they need money and think they can get a big buck out of it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
^This.

I had to think that MP and company calculated what they thought demand would be and went for a round number near that.  If you need money, selling this isn't going to fix your problem, or even come close to fixing it.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
I own it, it's the same L.A. show with a better picture/sound quality. If you have a Blu-ray player and a 32"+ TV, it will be an amazing show to watch!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
About the only way to get valuable band memorabilia is to have something truely limited edition
Well the thing is if I look up on the internet for prices I can't see this boxset for sale anywhere, so thats what led me to think that it may be pretty rare. But once again I don't know how many copies were made so...
I wouldn't mind if its not really collector but I just want to make sure, I'd hate to give it away for 50 bucks if its really hard to find.

I think what Marc said is accurate.  Yes, technically, it is out of stock and it will be a "rare" used find on Ebay, Amazon, etc.  But even though it is very difficult to find, there is very little (if any at all) actual demand for it simply because, again, other than the Blu Ray version of the same show, pretty much everything in the box set is available separately on the YJR site.  I'm not saying you definitely should sell it cheap.  That's up to you.  But I agree with others on the fact that you probably aren't likely to get very much for it.

But that being said, you definitely had the right idea by posting about it here on this site.  If there is any interest, you are more likely to find out here than just about anywhere else.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
It's definately rare. I doubt there were more than 1,000 copies and likely less than that.

When it was first released, I passed on it thinking it would be around a while and I could get it then but I think it sold out within a year. I seem to recall it was something like $130. When it sold out , it was impossible to find and when you did it would go for two and three times the original price.

A few years ago, a handful of copies were discovered at the back of a garage and it was put up for sale for a very short time and sold out very quickly.

I jumped on it then and I'm lucky I did because it's been nearly impossible to find in my experience. When I've seen the rare ebay link, I've never seen it go for less than $250.

Aside from the blu ray disc, there was also an exclusive disc of improv jams which you can't get anywhere else.

I don't think you'll have any trouble selling it.

Offline Audition

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
Thanks guys (:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
The problem with these kinds of things is, market forces don't work all that well when there's only a few sporadic sellers and buyers. Then, the price has nothing to do with the real value of the item, but rather the lucky or unlucky coincidence of seller and buyer.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
IIRC we made 400 copies of the box set.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »

Wow, only 400? Glad I am one of those 400 fans! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »

-Marc.

Damn I would have thought more. I really wanted the blue ray but didn't want to spend all the money.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »

-Marc.

So am I!  I'm glad I got a second chance at it. I waited too long the first time.

It's one of my favorite boxes.