Author Topic: ReaperKK's Roulette! - Final Results Are UP!!!!  (Read 26235 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
ReaperKK's Roulette! - Final Results Are UP!!!!
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
Hey everyone!

This is my first roulette and I couldn't be more excited to get it started, so much so that I'm starting it a day early before I thought I would. I plan on having regular updates as I have my weekdays pretty free. Anyway, I'm going to list the participants and rules and such, if you have any questions please let me know. I'll also be posting the theme of the next round so you can think about your submission and it'll hopefully help things move along quickly.

The Participants So Far:

- Scorpion
- Nekov
- Zantera
- Elite
- Xanthul
- Ravenheart
- Sigz
- kári
- Ultimetalhead

Rules:

- Your submission will be rated on a scale of 0-10, there may or may not be chances to earn extra points on certain rounds, I haven't decided yet but for now it's simple 0-10 rating scale. There will be a total of 8 Rounds.

- I prefer to have mp3's sent via email (email provided in a pm I'll be sending out) but if not then you can send me a grooveshark or spotify link, or youtube.

- I'll be listening to each track multiple times and basing my score of the appeal of the first listen and overall listens.

- My last.fm is www.last.fm/user/ReaperKK I recently reset my counter as I decided to listen to all my albums however I've only gotten so far as the letter J so in addition I'll be posting bands which are off limits. If you go on my last.fm and see that a band or artist with less than 5 plays then you can submit something by them. If by chance I heard something that I'm familiar with then I may ask for a re-submission but truthfully I don't think that will happen.

- If you submit a song by a band/artist and it scores a 4 or lower then you can still submit music by that band or artist in future rounds if it fits the theme.

Here is the additional list of bands/artists that are off limits:

Jeff Buckley
Joe Satriani
John Lenehan
John Petrucci
Johnnytwentythree
Kaki King
Kanye West
Kataonia
Katy Perry
Kid Loco
Kings Of Convenience
Kiss
Korn
Lil Wayne
Lily Allen
Limp Bizkit
Liquid Tension Experiment
Lisa Gerrard
Live
Lostprophets
Ludovico Einaudi
Mark Knopfler
Massive Attack
Matchbook Romance
Matchbox 20
Maxence Cyrin
Metallica
Mew
Michael Hedges
Michael Kelsey
Minus The Bear
Mogwai
Morcheeba
Mudvayne
Muse
My Chemical Romance
Natasha Bedingfield
Nirvana
O.A.R.
Opeth
OSI
Pain Of Salvation
Pantera
Paul Gilbert
Peter Ciluzzi
Phil Keaggy
Phish
Pink Floyd
Poe
Porcupine Tree
Preston Reed
Prince
Queen
Queensryche
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Ray LaMontagne
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Regina Spektor
Robert Linton
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Rush
Sara Bareillas
Sarah Fimm
Scissor Sisters
Scott Matthews
Shakira
Shinedown
Shpongle
SkySaw
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Staind
Steve Vai
Steven Wilson
Stevie Wonder
Sting
Storm Corrosion
Submotion Orchestra
System Of A Down
The Antlers
The Dear Hunter
The Evpatoria Report
The Flower Kings
The Gracious Few
The Jezabels
The Killers
The Mercury Program
The Pineapple Theif
The Police
The Rite Of Strings
The River Empires
The Sound Of Arrows
Third Eye Blind
Thom Brennan
Thrice
Time Lapse Consortium
Tom Petty
Tommy Emmanuel
Tonic
Tool
Tori Amos
Toto
Tower Of Power
U2
Ulver
Van Halen
Weezer
Wycleff Jean
Zero 7

Alright off to the rounds, before I post the first two I want you guys to know that I'm open to listen to anything from any genre, of any length so long as it fits with the theme I'm excited to hear it.

Round 1 - Open:

- Open Round so feel free to send me anything, whether it's a song you love or something that represents the style of music I'll be hearing from you.

Round 2 - Instrumental:

- I'm a big fan of anything instrumental so I want you guys to send me some of your favorite instrumental music. Whether it's EDM, dubstep, post rock, or simple acoustic guitar, if it doesn't have vocals then I'm interested in it.

Round 3 - Pick your adventure!

So I had a few questions about my Round 3 so I decided I'd give an option so if you don't like one theme you can go with the other theme

- Option 1: Stripped down, basically what I mean with this is I want a band that doesn't have a polished sound with many layers, the more energy the band conveys the better. Sort of like a garage band only with better production (however poor production will not have a negative effect on your scores)

- Option 2:Live track; Send me a killer live track but to make it tougher I want a live track that isn't on a official studio release. For example if you were to send me DT's live version of "Pull Me Under" then that doesn't count because it's on an official release. B-sides ARE ALLOWED so DT's "To Live Forever" would be allowed even though it was released as a studio B-side in one fashion.

Bootlegs will be allowed, but only if they are high-quality bootlegs, I'll leave this to your discretion. 

Questions just PM me :)

To those that submitted Round 3, if you think you'd do better with another option you can resubmit, just make sure to let me know which option you choose.

Round 4 - Long & Dreary

Long, dreary, bleak, dark song. Must be at least 6:30 in length, anything shorter and it's an automatic DQ.

Round 5 - Open

Another open round!

Round 7 - Electronica!

I'm a big fan of music that has some sort of electronic element infused into it, a perfect example would be OSI. Send me your best electronic infused music, or you can send me EDM songs as well.

If this round is too tough for you guys let me know early so I can possibly make an alternate option.

Round 8 - Final Round!

Alright guys so this is my final round and it's pretty much an open round but there are a few rules:

- I want new music, so the band's first release has to be 2007 or later.

- I want three tracks but they have to be from the same album and they have to be 3 tracks one after another.

- If it's a concept album you're sending me, say Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence you can send me "pieces" of a whole track say the song SDOIT and you want to send me tracks 2,3,4 that's fine as long as they are split up on the album I'll take it.

- Each song will be graded from 0-5, additional points can be earned if the songs flow together well. To make things a bit more fun I'll also give an additional 3 points to anyone who can guess their total score (for the three tracks) for Round 8.

Any questions ask!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:01:59 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette! - Round 1 (slots for extra participants available!)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
Sent.  :biggrin:

Damn, I have an idea for the second round but that artist has 10 plays :'( Let's see what I can find...
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »
Sent round 1
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »

Damn, I have an idea for the second round but that artist has 10 plays :'( Let's see what I can find...

If it's like 10 plays of the same song that you can send it, but if it has 6 or more unique song plays then it's off limits :) Hopefully that makes sense.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
Song sent. First time I send a mail since hotmail became outlook, but I hope you got it.  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Yup I got it :tup

I didn't know hotmail became outlook

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »

If it's like 10 plays of the same song that you can send it, but if it has 6 or more unique song plays then it's off limits :) Hopefully that makes sense.

Naw, don't worry. You've heard the song already, plus I've got another one anyway.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
I'd like to participate if that's still possible and you're interested :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
Yup I got it :tup

I didn't know hotmail became outlook

Yeah I guess they were tired of hotmail so they scrapped it all together and it became outlook pretty much. :P

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »
First round sent.

I'm comparing my own artist list with yours and this is going to be tough.. you listen to almost everything I have, your list is like mine plus dozens of other artists I don't know. I have identified 3 or 4 bands that I think you will like though, we'll see how this goes.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
Don't let kári in, I want to use the bands he sent me in my roulette :D

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
First round sent.

I'm comparing my own artist list with yours and this is going to be tough.. you listen to almost everything I have, your list is like mine plus dozens of other artists I don't know. I have identified 3 or 4 bands that I think you will like though, we'll see how this goes.

Yea that's what I noticed when I was in your roulette, you and I have very similar tastes.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »
:D I'll send some different stuff :)

Sent BTW :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »

Hey, don't copy my strategy  :angry:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
I'll look for something to send asap.
Is the Top 50 you made last year still a good reference point for stuff you like? Just for a general idea for the stuff I can send.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
I'll look for something to send asap.
Is the Top 50 you made last year still a good reference point for stuff you like? Just for a general idea for the stuff I can send.

Yup that is a great thread to look in :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Song sent by e-mail.
My main genre is progressive metal, but I'm not too sure how you'd handle that, so I went with something different. Hope you'll enjoy.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 06:00:19 AM »
I have everyone's submissions and I've heard most of them, gonna listen to rest after work and post an update :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
:caffeine:

EDIT: Btw, if you don't like my song many people will hate you forever.

No pressure. :p
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:25:34 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 06:38:16 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
Slot still open? I'm in if there is.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »
Slot still open? I'm in if there is.

I'll send you a pm, I'm about to post results to Round 1 right now but I'll take your submission and add you to the result list tomorrow.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
Alright so here are the results from Round 1, lots of great submissions which makes me excited for the upcoming rounds

Round 1 Results!!:

Scorpion - Maudlin Of The Well - "The Ferryman" - 5 points

- First Listen: I couldn't help but be reminded of Opeth the first few minutes of the song which is definitely a plus but the the growl style vocals kicked in. Not really my thing but in this case they didn't really detract from the song in the way say Agaloch's vocals do.

- Subsequent Listens: I like the track but I just can't get over the vocals while they don't detract from the song too much, they are still there, luckily it's not all over the place.

Nekov - Of Monsters And Men - "Little Talks" - 9 points

- First Listen: Wow, what a fun tune right from the beginning. I love the female vocalist, not as big of a fan of the male vocalist but it doesn't take away from the song that much. I get a huge The Jezabels vibe from the song. I'm really digging the song.

- Subsequent Listens: I fucking love this song, it flows greatly and is just fun to listen to. I often find this song getting stuck in my head all day. Really a great submission.

Zantera - Oceansize - "Music For A Nurse" - 8 points

- First Listen: lol I'm not surprised you sent me an Oceansize song. I've actually heard of these guys as one of my close friends is a big Oceansize fan but I've never taken the time to check them out. As I'm listening I'm really digging the opening, very post-rock God Is An Astronaut vibe. Wasn't expecting vocals but they were a great addition, sort of a Thom Yorke feel but way better.

- Subsequent Listens: This song is right up my ally. It's layered, has a great buildup, and the vocals work perfectly within the song. Listening to it I feel like a dummy for not checking out Oceansize sooner, espcially if this is what I can expect from them.

Xanthul - Eisley - "Memories" - 8 points

- First Listen: w00t another female vocalist with a great voice! Definitely digging the track, the track has a great full feeling to it, hard to describe.

- Subsequent Listens: Catchy song, much like Nekov's submission. This is another band that I will be putting on my short list of bands that I need to check out. Nothing much to add after my intial listening to the song. Great submission.

Kári - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Young Adult Friction" - 6 points

- First Listen: Another upbeat track, listening through all these submissions is putting me in a good mood. Alright track that's kinda of forgettable, feels like I've heard it before somewhere. Not a big fan of the vocals.

- Subsequent Listens: Probably the biggest grower on this list so far. After coming back to it after a day it really sounds like a completely different song. Still not a fan of the vocals but the song is good so it gets a 6 from me, which is a nice jump from the intial 4 I was going to give it.

Sigz - Phatom Of The Black Hills - "Men Call Me Mad" - 5 points

- First Listen: I don't even know how to being describing this song, it's definitely different and kinda hard to take in at first. The vocals are off-putting but the song itself isn't so bad. I'll have to see what the follow listens bring out.

- Subsequent Listens: I feel like this would be a fun song if I saw it in a live setting but it doesn't really do anything for me otherwise. I did check out the other songs off Ghosts simply see what the style of the band is because this song was interesting, just not my thing.

Elite - Magic Pie - "Endless Ocean (The Suffering Joy)" - 6 points

- First Listen: Reminds me a bit of The Flower Kings, enjoyable and after reading your email I was expecting for it to get heavy at a certain point but it didn't. Overall a good track, not great but not bad either, didn't really stick out in my head.

- Subsequent Listens: It's good but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it, I also wouldn't turn it off.

Ravenheart - Monica Richards - "Into My Own" - 7 points

- First Listen: I'm always a sucker for a string section so that is automatically a plus, I also enjoy how the track seems to build. I really didn't expect that explosion of sound in the middle of the song but it really took it to another level.

- Subsequent Listens: This is another track that really grew on me with every listen. I love the progression of the song, her voice is haunting and really helps set the atmosphere for the song.

Ultimetalhead - Rishloo - "River Of Glass" - 9 points

First Listen: Liking in the intro so far. . . . holy shit this track rocks! Love the vocalist, love the main riff. This song is killer, and it feels short, it clocks in at almost 5 minutes but it seems to just fly by.

Subsequent Listens: I really really like this song, sitting here at my computer I'm trying to surf the web and just keep getting sucked into the song, it grabs my attention and forces me to listen.

Scores:

Nekov - 9
Ultimetalhead - 9
Zantera - 8
Xanthul - 8
Ravenheart - 7
Kári - 6
Elite - 6
Scorpion - 5
Sigz - 5

Round 2 - Instrumental

- I'm a big fan of anything instrumental so I want you guys to send me some of your favorite instrumental music. Whether it's EDM, dubstep, post rock, or simple acoustic guitar, if it doesn't have vocals then I'm interested in it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:44:39 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette! - Round 1 Results Up!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »
Sending Kari's songs does work  :D

Sent round 2. This one's from my personal collection

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »
Nice, pretty decent start... if you liked that track you will love the whole album (Room Noises), it's full of catchy and enjoyable songs like that one and their vocals are wonderful.

Round 2 submission sent.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 12:20:06 AM »
You know I was going to send it originally, right? :P

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 02:13:03 AM »
Glad you liked Oceansize! Sending a song for Round 2 in a bit!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 03:42:54 AM »
Hmmm... I would have thought that you'd like it more, but oh well.

Round 2 will be sent in a second, I know just the track. I hope it works out better than this round's.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 03:53:02 AM »
Nekov gave the song I sent the highest possible score in his roulette, and here I only get a mediocre score.
Darn, I hoped for some better. I'll send Round 2 soon! :)
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 06:24:09 AM »
You know I was going to send it originally, right? :P

I promise I won't steal any more of your songs  :smiley:

Nekov gave the song I sent the highest possible score in his roulette, and here I only get a mediocre score.

Well, it is a beautiful song. So much I'm listening to it right now  ;)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:11 AM »
It's okay :)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »
Woke up to plenty of submissions I'll get to work listening to them. I'll probably have results tomorrow night but I'll definitely get UMH's round 1 submission up tonight.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 06:44:23 AM »
Did you get mine? My browser crashed while sending it, so I'm not sure if it made it out beforehand.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 06:44:30 AM »
Hmmm... I would have thought that you'd like it more, but oh well.

It's not like I hated it, usually a 5 is something I wouldn't turn off on the radio but it's not something I would buy either. I do plan on checking those guys out more, I hear a lot about them on the forum so maybe a few spins on other tracks will help it click.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 06:46:29 AM »
Did you get mine? My browser crashed while sending it, so I'm not sure if it made it out beforehand.

Yup I got it! :tup