Author Topic: A Dramatic Tour of Events - Farewell & Appreciation  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: A Dramatic Tour of Events - Farewell & Appreciation
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »
They've proven that they're perfectly able to keep the ball rolling and they did so without even skipping a beat.

They skipped a couple of beats playing The Root of All Evil at the show I was at, Mangini made a mistake, but they repaired it almost instantly.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
They've proven that they're perfectly able to keep the ball rolling and they did so without even skipping a beat.

They skipped a couple of beats playing The Root of All Evil at the show I was at, Mangini made a mistake, but they repaired it almost instantly.

Well, you know what I mean.  ;) Metaphorically speaking.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »
I saw them live throughout this tour (Mexico City and Los Angeles), and both shows were incredible.

Best sound mix I've heard from Dream Theater (I've seen them live 5 times in total), best stage production and the best vibe. I love this new chapter in their history.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »
In the pic in the OP, JM has that classic 70's Geddy Lee pose. Awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »
I love the first pic. Shows how much JM is loving this.
That first picture is just fucking awesome.

I saw them:
Chicago - October 2, 2011
Columbus - June 19, 2012
Cleveland - June 21, 2012

Those were the best three shows I have seen them play out of the seven total times I have seen them (2006, 2008 [x2], 2010, 2011, 2012 [x2]).
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »
10/26/2011 - Bass Concert Hall, Austin
10/27/2011 - Verizon (Nokia), Grand Prairie
07/06/2012 - Majestic, San Antonio
07/07/2012 - ACL Live, Austin
07/09/2012 - Verizon (Nokia), Grand Prairie

These 5 dates were the best them.  Seriously.  So many good times, good memories, and good music.  It was so amazing to see the guys SO happy.

Can't wait until the next tour. :heart

Offline krands85

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
Saw them for the second time in Glasgow at the start of February (7 months ago already  :omg: )

The guys put on an awesome show, great production and cool to see the new lineup and how much they all seemed to be enjoying things. The sound was close to perfect. Every gig I've ever been to has been far too loud, problems with distortion, too much bass or whatever - but I could make out everything really clearly. Also great to see lots of ADTOE which has become my 3rd favourite DT album.

Just a shame that it was a seated venue, because it seemed to suck the life out of the crowd, with a large proportion of people sitting down almost the whole way through the show and not really seeming to get into it :facepalm:  Hope the band didn't take that badly or think about dropping Glasgow from future tours.

The first time I saw DT was Prog Nation 09, so it was nice to get about 30 more minutes worth of DT, but I hope they go back to Evening With shows in the future. I generally prefer the longer songs, so it was a shame the shows were only about 2 hours, as it meant DT preferred to focus on shorter songs (don't think there was anything longer than 15 minutes since TCOT in the summer tour before ADTOE came out). Also gutted I didn't get to see Metropolis or Learning to Live. And with Metropolis being played so often in other places, they might not play it again the next time they come to Scotland :(

Anyway, it's always a privilege seeing these talented musicians doing what they do best  :coolio  Don't have any pictures, but have some clips from a few of the songs:
Bridges in the Sky
The Root of All Evil
A Fortune in Lies
Outcry
On the Backs of Angels
The Spirit Carries On
Breaking All Illusions
Pull Me Under and end of the show

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
Last song of the tour, Metropolis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPC1efiUXe0
Did they almost train wreck the ending right there?! Jordan sounded like he was off.  :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 12:24:35 PM »

Did they almost train wreck the ending right there?! Jordan sounded like he was off.  :lol

You mean the jam? No, I believe it's the usual dynamics of a Metropolis final Jam.  :lol (even though the best one ever was recorded for our future delight :) )
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »

You mean the jam? No, I believe it's the usual dynamics of a Metropolis final Jam.  :lol (even though the best one ever was recorded for our future delight :) )
No, on that final riff/madness before James is supposed to come in and sing the final part of the song.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
Which is what I meant! Easily my favourite part of the song as it was performed this tour (the rest is still spotless!), as it's the only one I havn't heard a thousand times played the same! Anyway, the jam was JR driven, so it's not impossible for him to have had a few moments of "Shit, how do I continue this?"  :lol?"  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 05:55:46 PM »

:lol Only Mangini would make a mistake in one of the easiest songs in their repertoire !!!

Isn't Root basically 4/4 for the most part ?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »

:lol Only Mangini would make a mistake in one of the easiest songs in their repertoire !!!

Isn't Root basically 4/4 for the most part ?

Yep, barring the TDS reprise in 6/4.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:03 AM »

That was the Zwolle show, right? It was funny  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »
ADTOE is a unique album in the DT catalog, the first created.without a drummer with the then remaining members all having input. It turned out great, giving us a taste of Mike Manginis abilities. Its the album that DT had to show everyone everything is going to be fine, and better. Im glad they played it safe and decided to all create the album as a full band with all input.

I am really interested in the upcoming album. Its the one where we get to see the full input of MM.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »
Writing with Superior Drummer sounds like a chore if you are a band.

If it's just one guy in his room writing songs then he can write out a scratch drum part until he finishes the song then polish the drums later ( at least thats what I do )

But jamming in a band would be like  :

" Ok - that's the next section done - gimme an hour to write out the drums and then we'll move on to the next bit. "

I can't see how that wasn't a pain in the proverbial derriere.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
Writing with Superior Drummer sounds like a chore if you are a band.

If it's just one guy in his room writing songs then he can write out a scratch drum part until he finishes the song then polish the drums later ( at least thats what I do )

But jamming in a band would be like  :

" Ok - that's the next section done - gimme an hour to write out the drums and then we'll move on to the next bit. "

I can't see how that wasn't a pain in the proverbial derriere.

It doesn't matter, all JP put is the basic feel of the drums, not hard to do. Or better yet
, if one of your past.songs had.a structure you enjoyed and felt like doing again, it makes it easier. They probably did that, I dont have a problem with it.

Didn't they send him the guides?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
Yeah Mangini only got bass and snare.

But what I mean is - jamming with no drummer would be annoying for me at least with out a drummer who could instantly play what you are playing without you wanting to change time sig or tempo and have to stop jamming and write it out.