Author Topic: PC Home Networking: WiFi Range Extenders or Electrical System Piggyback?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline PetFish

We just moved and the hardline is in the basement which means poor reception on the 3rd floor.

Option 1:  WiFi Booster
I've never used or tried them so I don't know how or even if they work well.

Option 2:  Electrical System Piggyback
I was talking to my A/V guy at the store and he said there's a thing that uses your home's electrical system to carry the signal anywhere and it acts as a hard line.  Just plug the router into a black box into a receptacle, then another black box into a receptacle upstars, cable to your device, and you're done.  And you can install as many as you need/want, as long as there's an outlet, you can get a little black box to connect to.

I'm really interested in Option 2 so if anyone has any input here I'd really appreciate it.  :)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: PC Home Networking: WiFi Range Extenders or Electrical System Piggyback?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »
We just moved and the hardline is in the basement which means poor reception on the 3rd floor.

Option 1:  WiFi Booster
I've never used or tried them so I don't know how or even if they work well.

Option 2:  Electrical System Piggyback
I was talking to my A/V guy at the store and he said there's a thing that uses your home's electrical system to carry the signal anywhere and it acts as a hard line.  Just plug the router into a black box into a receptacle, then another black box into a receptacle upstars, cable to your device, and you're done.  And you can install as many as you need/want, as long as there's an outlet, you can get a little black box to connect to.

I'm really interested in Option 2 so if anyone has any input here I'd really appreciate it.  :)

Perfect timing, I just installed Option 2 a few days ago!  Setup was extremely simple, and it is as fast as being hooked up directly to the modem.  I got the 200Mbps with a built in Wireless-N repeater on the second device, so it's also doing Option 1, but repeating a wired signal instead of a wireless signal, so the results are much stronger.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
Sweet!  Can you tell me what equipment you used?  I know Monster has a kit (I know, overpriced, but I have a hookup).

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »
I'm using option 2 right now and it works great.

Edit: I think I'm using this one.
 https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XEB1004-100NAS-Xeb1004-85Mpbs-Switch/dp/B0015U0FE0/ref=pd_cp_e_1
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:04:20 PM »
And I'm using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-Wireless-N-Extender-XAVNB2001/dp/B0046SQ8VW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_11

Either one will work fine if you're hooking up to a single wired device. If you want more flexibility for multiple devices above ground, the Wireless-N Repeater would be your best bet (2nd floor, middle of the house).

Offline PetFish

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
https://www.monstercable.com/digital_life/categories/internet.asp

I just installed this system, I'll let you know how it goes.

Before anyone goes on a rant about Monster and how overpriced they are, I have a guy, and saved about 70% (ie. $530 retail but I got for $150) on these, so it's all good.