Author Topic: lonestar's Top 50 Albums v. The Soundtrack of My Life-Honorable Mentions....  (Read 48779 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
lol

You and I, though don't seem to agree on songs.. lol..  Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are fuckin masterpieces!!!! Can't ever get enough of them!! Never!
Shine On You Crazy Diamond?? Hell yeah... I can never listen to it without getting goosebumps... 
Wish You Were Here, on the other hand... well don't wanna make anyone angry but... it's a meh song on Pink Floyd spectrum.... yes I went there!
I enjoy those two, but they always came across to me as the grind of the music industry pieces, whereas Shine just presents that dichotomy of insanity and spiritual bliss so well. WYWH, that song goes straight to my soul, even after a bajillion listens. I think its more a matter of the first two being on such a lower level, comparitively, for me at least.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Now we're talking about. For me SFAM and WYWH rank a lot higher but it's still awesome that they are a part of your list  :tup. Relayer is a fantastic album as well

By the way, I listened to that Mechanical Poet album the other day and it wasn't quite my cup of tea. I'll give it some more spins though
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Great choices.  WYWH is such a strong albumt that it kind of makes me angry.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't consider myself a PF fan but I love WYWH. Great album. Easily my favorite by them, but I'm also a big fan of Animals.

And SFAM...absolutely. It will be quite a bit higher on my list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Nice update, though all three wouldn't (and didn't) touch my top 50.

Relayer is an amazing album.
I don't need to say anything about SFAM.
WYWH is probably my 5th or 6th favourite PF album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Can't go wrong with the last 3. 

Hey RJ, you remember hearing Relayer for the first time and I wonder if you were taken aback.  I remember how dense and different it was for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I don't know if I was taken aback. I heard Gates via Yesshows first and was cool with it. When I finally got Relayer, and heard Awaken, I was floored.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
OK, got a day off, let's bust out another update.....

23-Pete Townshend-Empty Glass(1980)
Ok, this will be a long one. First a quote from Pete about what he means by Empty Glass…
"And when I did my first solo album, I called it 'Empty Glass', 'cause of this idea that when you go to the tavern -- which is to God, you know -- and you ask for His love -- He's the bartender, you know -- and He gives you a drink, and what you have to give Him is an empty glass. You know there's no point giving Him your heart if it's full already; there's no point going to God if your heart's full of Doris."

This album I feel is when Pete started empying his glass. It drips with personal emotion and soul, and could perhaps be the most personal album I know of that an artist has written. The majority of it was written during the Who Are You sessions, but the subsequent death of Kieth Moon is all over it, and really gives the album its rawness and emotional edge. The opener, Rough Boys, drips with homoeroticism, and has been interpreted in a million different ways. Following are a few deeply spiritual songs, And I Moved and Let My Love Open the Door, both referencing God from the very religious Pete.  Jools and Jim is his song for Kieth, a frustrated piece at the fact that the world keeps moving, kids keep dropping, even with glowing examples of death like Keith’s. It finishes with two incredible songs, A Little is Enough and Empty Glass, more reflections on spirituality and love. This album is so honest it still scares me.

"My life's a mess, I wait for you to pass, I stand here at the bar I hold an empty glass."

Suggested Songs:Let My Love Open the Door, A Little is Enough, Jools and Jim, Empty Glass

22-IQ- Frequency(2009)
Some of you were probably wondering when I would get to IQ. This is my first installment from the band that I am closest with, the one that really speaks to my soul. To me, even though other IQ albums are more personal, I feel that this is musically their best. All players are hitting on all cylinders, and Peter Nichols is at the top of his game. Though not officially a concept album, it has strong thematic elements like most of IQ’s albums do, and like most IQ albums, they are written loosely enough to be interpreted in many ways. Aside from two soulful songs, One Fatal Mistake and Closer, which both touch me deeply every time I hear them, the rest of the album to me is just killer IQ music, one of my favorite bands peaking.

"Remember all the promises you planned on, the only one who's arms you ever ran from, the best of you was locked away for so long, don't wait another day. Imagine all the mysteries your made of, the great adventures you would love, the wanderlust and all you dared dream of, don't wait another day."  Damn man, right to the heart.

Suggested Songs:Frequency, Province of the King, Closer, Ryker Skies

21- Marillion-Brave(1994)
A girl is found  on a bridge, not talking, just staring out into the water, and is taken into police custody. This real life event inspired Hogarth to write the speculations on why she was there. So begins Brave, a brilliant concept album. It covers different reasons on why she is out there, what she went through to put her in such a desparate situation. From a broken heart(Hard as Love) to abuse(Runaway), many of the scenarios of the disenchanted are covered. Aside from a concept that I absolutly loved, and could relate to in many ways because of shit I’ll spill later in the list, the thing that stood out to me was a level of production that I hadn’t heard before. The nuances, the subtleties, they were brilliant to me. This album taught me to listen very closely, and I have been since. I should note that this is probably also my all time favorite album cover, I absolutely love it.

"See her sadness, in your face, she's inside you and she's crying."

Suggested Songs:Runaway, The Great Escape, Living with the Big Lie, Made Again(yep, I put it up there, love the song, deal with it)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
IQ :D

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
IQ :D

You knew they were coming at some point.  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
3 albums I've never heard! :D

What is IQ like?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I need to check out that Pete Townshend album, being a big Who fan myself.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

You haven't heard it?!?!?!?!?! Damn dude, as a Who fan, that must change.

What is IQ like?

Awesome

Yep. Guitar driven Neo prog, with the most intense, soulful vocals.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

I haven't heard any of their solo stuff, aside from the first Entwistle album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I haven't heard any of their solo stuff, aside from the first Entwistle album.

:|

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
IQ! I love them to bits; Frequency was one of my favorite albums the year it came out, and still gets a lot of time from me. IQ's amazing.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know if I was taken aback. I heard Gates via Yesshows first and was cool with it. When I finally got Relayer, and heard Awaken, I was floored.

It was so different that it's one of those albums that takes multiple listens to really enjoy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

It was so different that it's one of those albums that takes multiple listens to really enjoy.

Gates and Sound Chasers took a while, not with Awaken. That's one of those songs that I got from the first listen, hard.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Only really familiar with WYWH and Empty Glass. :blush
:ontome:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Only really familiar with WYWH and Empty Glass. :blush
:ontome:

No, don't run babe, just sit and listen to this.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNPiReoWyJw

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Don't have time right now, but I'll definitely listen later. :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Okey dokey  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
RJ.  Your title, "past the halfway point".

Dammit that is poetic!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
RJ.  Your title, "past the halfway point".

Dammit that is poetic!

Studied that for a while, I assume your referring to age?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah.  I've been thinking about it myself a lot with my 23 old nephew living with us.   I sound so much like my dad.  Made me look at my past and seeing your title and how music ties it all together, it seems so damn poetic right now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah.  I've been thinking about it myself a lot with my 23 old nephew living with us.   I sound so much like my dad.  Made me look at my past and seeing your title and how music ties it all together, it seems so damn poetic right now.

I will be 44 in a couple of weeks. When my father was my age, I was 22. WTF??

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Need a tissue bud?

I kid, and I totally hear ya. I've had more than my share of weepy nostalgic moments making this list, looking at where I was in life when the album came out, remembering the good and the bad, and how I used the music at the time to celebrate or console. Then seeing how the same music would change over the twenty years since it came out, only dictated by how I changed as a person. The same song would have a hundred different meanings to me over the years, all dictated by where I was in life. It's a pretty awesome self study to be honest, probably one of the coolest experiences I've had on DTF. Add to it everyone else's own experiences with the same music, showing how different yet still beautiful we all are, just really cool.

And I still have my top 20 to go, next update either tonight or tomorrow, pending on my mood.....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Need a tissue bud?

I kid, and I totally hear ya. I've had more than my share of weepy nostalgic moments making this list, looking at where I was in life when the album came out, remembering the good and the bad, and how I used the music at the time to celebrate or console. Then seeing how the same music would change over the twenty years since it came out, only dictated by how I changed as a person. The same song would have a hundred different meanings to me over the years, all dictated by where I was in life. It's a pretty awesome self study to be honest, probably one of the coolest experiences I've had on DTF. Add to it everyone else's own experiences with the same music, showing how different yet still beautiful we all are, just really cool.

Wow! Now I need a tissue!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm getting weepy in my old age.

BTW 3 for 3 on Pete, Marillion and IQ.  I have all three and still spin them on my I-pod.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've always meant to check out IQ.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

BTW 3 for 3 on Pete, Marillion and IQ.  I have all three and still spin them on my I-pod.

Shit dude, you should go at least 18 for 20 for the remaining list.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Shit dude, you should go at least 18 for 20 for the remaining list.

We will see how you skills are.  I'll keep track of the last 20.  BTW  Check out the new Pineapple Thief that I posted in Nem's FB page.  Let me know what you think.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Update time!!!!

20-Peter Gabriel-Us(1992)
Though I enjoy all the songs on this one, it is on this list for only two, Secret World and Come Talk To Me. Both songs I absolutly adore and are extremely personal to me. If I made a top twenty songs list, these would both be on it. Those two songs are such deep expressions of the base aspects of love, longing, and wanting, and the music behind them is nothing short of spectacular.If everything works out right, when I finally get to see Gabriel live in October, I will have crossed the last artist of my bucket list of bands to see. Though there are plenty that I would like to see, he is the only remaining “must see” on my list.

“Whatever fear invents, I swear it makes no sense, I reach out through the border fence, come down, come talk to me.”

Suggested Songs:Come Talk To Me, Secret World

19-Yes-The Yes Album(1971)
First off, I have a confession to make. When I was introduced to the medium of online forums, I went to Yes’s first. I think that’s all I have to say about what this band means to me. Fortunatly for you guys, Yes Fans are kinda boring when it comes to internetting, so I came here second, and haven’t left since. The Yes Album was to me the breakout for Yes, they settled into the sound that would make them my favorite band, and a band I have seen over ten times, only topped by the Grateful Dead. Yes speaks to me like no other. I listen to music for many reasons, and I have a band for each reason. When I want to feel at one with the world around me, to be reassured that it is a beautiful world if we just open our eyes to see it, I listen to Yes. This one contains four of my favorite tracks, and two songs that have carried me through a huge portion of my life, Your Move/All Good People and Perpetual Change.

“Don’t surround yourself with yourself, move on back two squares”

Suggested Songs: Your Move/All Good People, Perpetual Change, Yours is no Disgrace, Starship Trooper

18-Rush-Moving Pictures(1981)
My introduction to Rush, and an incredible selection of music. I was a lucky kid to have been handed Moving Pictures, Who’s Next, The Yes Album, and others not listed yet at such a young age by my brothers, they steered me in the right direction when it came to music. I fell for this one right away, such a different sound than all the Yes and Who that I had had up to that time. Of course, Tom Sawyer grabbed me, Red Barchetta went straight to my core, but the one that truly owned me was The Camera Eye. Such a phenomonally unique piece of music at that time for me. Love at first listen for sure.

"Race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside."

Suggested Songs:Camera Eye, Red Barchetta, Limelight

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: lonestar's Top 50 Albums v. The Soundtrack of My Life(into the top 20!!!)
« Reply #244 on: September 05, 2012, 12:45:27 AM »
Moving Pictures :hefdaddy